HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The 1980 NHL All Star Game

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2004, 03:03 AM
windowlicker

vCash: 500
The 1980 NHL All Star Game

...Is on right now on ESPN Classic. Gretzky at 19, just before "The Dynasty" years .....*******. I must say, the man looks like he has some wheels (not bad hands, either). Howe does'nt look bad either, along with Lafleur, Goring, Robinson, Barber, Dionne, Esposito, Perrault, Gainey, Sittler, Trottier...( Looks like Craig Hartsburg just scored on our goaltending coach, Pete Peeters.)

One thing I'm noticing, these guys are actually really trying. Not like the hot-dogging were used to seeing from the modern day NHL All Stars. This is a nice pace, alot of cycling. In fact it looks alot like a 2003/04 NHL regular season game between 2 teams who have no concept of what a "trap" is(certain people seem to think old time hockey could not measure up to today's standards .....)

But damn....watching Gretz at this age, doing what he's doing, knowing what we know,....makes me wish I was a little older than 25... alot older. I cannot wait untill the CBC opens up the NHL archives for DVD.

(Edit....Coming up... the 1970 All Star Game ...its gonna be a looong night)

Old
02-08-2004, 03:36 AM
cram

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
...Is on right now on ESPN Classic. Gretzky at 19, just before "The Dynasty" years .....*******. I must say, the man looks like he has some wheels (not bad hands, either). Howe does'nt look bad either, along with Lafleur, Goring, Robinson, Barber, Dionne, Esposito, Perrault, Gainey, Sittler, Trottier...( Looks like Craig Hartsburg just scored on our goaltending coach, Pete Peeters.)

One thing I'm noticing, these guys are actually really trying. Not like the hot-dogging were used to seeing from the modern day NHL All Stars. This is a nice pace, alot of cycling. In fact it looks alot like a 2003/04 NHL regular season game between 2 teams who have no concept of what a "trap" is(certain people seem to think old time hockey could not measure up to today's standards .....)

But damn....watching Gretz at this age, doing what he's doing, knowing what we know,....makes me wish I was a little older than 25... alot older. I cannot wait untill the CBC opens up the NHL archives for DVD.

(Edit....Coming up... the 1970 All Star Game ...its gonna be a looong night)
You missed the 1989 game in Edmonton right before, what a thing of beauty, guys were really trying in that one too, couple hits by Klowe, and lots of mucking during the play, man, Gretzky made it look sooo easy!

Closed Thread