HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

USPHL 2014-15 Season Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-09-2014, 03:32 PM
  #1
JB51Hockey
51Hockey
 
JB51Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 822
vCash: 500
USPHL 2014-15 Season Thread


Boston Jr. Bruins look to defend their 2014 Premier Championship win while Rochester and Springfield join the top Division. The USPHL now consists of 33 organizations with the additions of Team Comcast at the U16, U18 levels, Richmond Generals at the Empire, Elite levels and Providence Capitals at the U16, Elite levels. The top three Premier scorers from this past season are all headed to Hockey East schools this coming season. There were more than 70 NCAA commits in the Premier Division from this past season.


Last edited by JB51Hockey: 04-10-2014 at 08:52 AM.
JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 07:26 PM
  #2
district9
Registered User
 
district9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 719
vCash: 500
Rochester is joining the Premier this year too, correct?


Last edited by district9: 05-07-2014 at 03:55 PM.
district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 09:21 PM
  #3
MiracleOnSkates
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
Rochester is joining the Premier this league too, correct?
That's what I've heard too.

I think it would be good for the Premier, they need more teams. As you can see though, they are completely out of the other Tier 3 leagues play level. I wasn't able to go to the Nationals games, but from what I've heard, the Bruins dominated every game they played. Once the Premier starts to get Depth, and more teams that can compete in the league and compete with the top teams, they should be able to gain more and more recognition/respect.

MiracleOnSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 07:58 PM
  #4
JB51Hockey
51Hockey
 
JB51Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 822
vCash: 500
http://www.providencejournal.com/spo...u-16-teams.ece

Quote:
The Caps’ goal is to have a contending team in 2014-15 at the Elite level, which is a step below the USPHL’s top Premier division, and then to move up to the Premier division in 2015-16.

“We are looking to have an extremely solid (Elite) program that is not just ’94s and ’95s, but a mixture of some ’96s and ’97s that can gain a year of experience. Then when we make the jump to the Premiere, they’re not rookies any more,” Omicioli said.
Potentially another Premier team for 15-16

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 04:40 PM
  #5
JB51Hockey
51Hockey
 
JB51Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 822
vCash: 500


Letter the Portland Pirates ran in a Lewiston newspaper. Says that they will be debuting the USPHL Junior Pirates for the 14-15 season.

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2014, 03:13 AM
  #6
district9
Registered User
 
district9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 719
vCash: 500
Don't quite understand the ad, had they not previously been playing in the arena? Or is there some sort of new affiliation? If this is their first year at the Colisee that's a big step for the USPHL I think...maybe this is a step for USPHL teams towards advertising and trying to draw crowds to the games?

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2014, 08:26 AM
  #7
JB51Hockey
51Hockey
 
JB51Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
Don't quite understand the ad, had they not previously been playing in the arena? Or is there some sort of new affiliation? If this is their first year at the Colisee that's a big step for the USPHL I think...maybe this is a step for USPHL teams towards advertising and trying to draw crowds to the games?
No they played in Saco. I'm guessing they will do exactly what the AHL team did this year. Practice and workout in Saco and then bud up every night for games. Regardless, a huge step in the right direction.

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 11:22 AM
  #8
3rd Guy High
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeben51 View Post
No they played in Saco. I'm guessing they will do exactly what the AHL team did this year. Practice and workout in Saco and then bud up every night for games. Regardless, a huge step in the right direction.
Yup, their last rink (and team) was lackluster. Will be interesting to see what happens this season with them and the Jr Rangers, especially with the addition of Springfield and Rochester.

Guess we will get out first preview May 9-11 at the Spring showcase.

I'm also interested to see what happens with Philly. Regardless of their success, they sent the least players to college of any team, and somehow their top scorer got decommitted although he was 3rd in league scoring.

3rd Guy High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 05:54 PM
  #9
JB51Hockey
51Hockey
 
JB51Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 822
vCash: 500
Jr. Pirates To Play In Lewiston:

http://www.usphlprospects.com/2014/0...-lewiston.html
http://www.juniorhockey.com/messages...ory_id=1&page=

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 03:19 PM
  #10
ogieoglethorpe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
I am also interested in Philly. Does anyone know anything about the coach in terms of placing kids or D1/3 connections? Not bashing by any means from what I saw of them last year he got a lot out of that team.

ogieoglethorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 04:11 PM
  #11
JB51Hockey
51Hockey
 
JB51Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogieoglethorpe View Post
I am also interested in Philly. Does anyone know anything about the coach in terms of placing kids or D1/3 connections? Not bashing by any means from what I saw of them last year he got a lot out of that team.
Jared Beach, he was the coach of Team Comcast U18, a very good midget AAA team that successfully competed in the strong T1EHL. I count 8 D-1 advancements from 2011-2014.

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 06:09 PM
  #12
MiracleOnSkates
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
Hmm. This new coach for the Jr. Rangers is a NHL scout for the St. Louis Blues, and it's an actual job. He's listed on their website, so I'm sure he's the real deal. I've only heard good things about him lately, and I hope that can contribute to the Jr. Rangers actually having some success this year, because last year was just an embarrassment to the league and organization on how poorly they played.

Heard that there were only a few kids from last year at the tryouts, interested to see how they turn out to be this year. I've also heard that IHC didn't have the best players at tryouts, but I'm sure most of their players didn't even attend, due to them having most of their roster already picked.

I'd love to see if the Jr. Rangers can actually pick it up this year and compete, along with the Pirates. Having a super competitive league is better than a league where there are two teams stomping the rest of the teams isn't the best, and hopefully that will change. I also think if some of the teams picked it up, the games would be more interesting, thus bringing in a little bit more of a crowd, yet the USPHL needs to do a lot more advertising, and that applies to the teams also.

MiracleOnSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 06:50 PM
  #13
JB51Hockey
51Hockey
 
JB51Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 822
vCash: 500
I agree with the post above...

I'm not sure how the Breakers managed to defeat NJH a few times last year as I thought Bay State was for sure the weakest of the top 7. My question is, the best kids will always try to make the Bruins, Hitmen etc. In what world will the Pirates and Yankees ever be as competitive as those top teams as their roster is generally filled with Jr. Bruins cuts? I really don't see it happening. I think the gap can be closed a little, but there will always be a definitive line between the top 8 and the rest.

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 09:08 PM
  #14
3rd Guy High
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB51Hockey View Post
I agree with the post above...

I'm not sure how the Breakers managed to defeat NJH a few times last year as I thought Bay State was for sure the weakest of the top 7. My question is, the best kids will always try to make the Bruins, Hitmen etc. In what world will the Pirates and Yankees ever be as competitive as those top teams as their roster is generally filled with Jr. Bruins cuts? I really don't see it happening. I think the gap can be closed a little, but there will always be a definitive line between the top 8 and the rest.
It will always depend on the coaches. Better recruiters that have proven to move players on to the D1 level will always be able to get the best players. I feel there's "one shot" for certain teams to get it right with a coaching staff. PAL placed players in D1 last year and thus players will want to go play for those coaches. On the flipside, doesn't look so bright for Bay State or Philly. Portland and CT both have new coaches, so we'll see what happens there.

3rd Guy High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 11:04 AM
  #15
JB51Hockey
51Hockey
 
JB51Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 822
vCash: 500
USPHL Readies For Spring Showcase May 9
http://www.usphlprospects.com/2014/0...-showcase.html
http://usphl.com/team-news/usphl-spr...e-may-9th-11th

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 11:09 AM
  #16
ogieoglethorpe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB51Hockey View Post
Jared Beach, he was the coach of Team Comcast U18, a very good midget AAA team that successfully competed in the strong T1EHL. I count 8 D-1 advancements from 2011-2014.
Thanks JB

ogieoglethorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 07:52 PM
  #17
MiracleOnSkates
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Guy High View Post
It will always depend on the coaches. Better recruiters that have proven to move players on to the D1 level will always be able to get the best players. I feel there's "one shot" for certain teams to get it right with a coaching staff. PAL placed players in D1 last year and thus players will want to go play for those coaches. On the flipside, doesn't look so bright for Bay State or Philly. Portland and CT both have new coaches, so we'll see what happens there.
Completely agreed. I think people don't understand just how much a good coaching staff can do to a team. If a coach has a lot of experience, is well known, and has good connections, can guarantee you the players on that team will get committed. Look at the coach of the IHC. Sean Tremblay is so well known, and is constantly able to get his players D1 commitments, usually more than half his team.

MiracleOnSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 08:03 PM
  #18
JB51Hockey
51Hockey
 
JB51Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiracleOnSkates View Post
Completely agreed. I think people don't understand just how much a good coaching staff can do to a team. If a coach has a lot of experience, is well known, and has good connections, can guarantee you the players on that team will get committed. Look at the coach of the IHC. Sean Tremblay is so well known, and is constantly able to get his players D1 commitments, usually more than half his team.
Very true. Good points. Islanders lost to the Pirates a couple times and weren't as impressive as I thought they would be. However, they might have lead the Division in NCAA commitments.

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 04:18 PM
  #19
JB51Hockey
51Hockey
 
JB51Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 822
vCash: 500
Kenny Gillespie of New Jersey Premier, decommits from UMass-Amherst, commits to RPI

http://usphlprospects.proboards.com/...hitmen-commits

Saw him a few times. Great skater, I think the OHL would have been a better option for him as he is a really good power forward. He is absolutely huge, his legs rival many NHLers. I honestly think he would be in the ECHL right now had he gone the OHL route. Whatever gets you there, I guess.

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 04:52 PM
  #20
8 ovechstrom 19
Registered User
 
8 ovechstrom 19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 388
vCash: 500
I've attended some of the tryouts, springfield definitely the worse showing

8 ovechstrom 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 07:19 AM
  #21
JB51Hockey
51Hockey
 
JB51Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 ovechstrom 19 View Post
I've attended some of the tryouts, springfield definitely the worse showing
Not too shocked to hear that honestly. You have to figure that they had 5-10 guys back that weren't at tryouts who are invited back. They also did send a lot of guys to D3 schools since the 13-14 season started, so that is going to hurt. They were always competitive in the EJ but not having a Premier team last year really hurt them I think. The kids who wanted to play Premier went to Yankees, Islanders, Kings when otherwise would have stayed with Springfield.

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 02:37 PM
  #22
JB51Hockey
51Hockey
 
JB51Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 822
vCash: 500
USHL Phase II Draft is today. Some notable selections from the USPHL

22. Brian Bowen, Jr. Bruins (Green Bay)
48. Beau Starrett, Kings (Dubuque)
79. John Marino, Kings (Chicago)
114. Ryan Finnegan, Skipjacks (Green Bay)
250. Ben Israel, Hitmen (Tri-City)

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 05:23 PM
  #23
JB51Hockey
51Hockey
 
JB51Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 822
vCash: 500
Full Recap of USPHL Players selected at the USHL Draft

http://www.usphlprospects.com/2014/0...hl-drafts.html

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 03:59 PM
  #24
district9
Registered User
 
district9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 719
vCash: 500
Really proud of Gillespie getting that RPI commitment. I was blown away at the fact that he wasn't a D1 commit at the beginning of this season, the kid really impressed me over the last few years but this year he took a new step in his development.

Curious to see if Bowen and Cloonan from the BJB will actually head to the USHL. I'm a big fan of both of those guys, especially Cloonan..for selfish reasons I'd love for them to stay out here but I'm interested in seeing them both a year older and in the USHL.

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 07:42 PM
  #25
JB51Hockey
51Hockey
 
JB51Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 822
vCash: 500
USPHL Spring Showcase Preview including a breakdown of Premier rosters: http://www.usphlprospects.com/2014/0...e-preview.html

One thing I noticed is that there was a decent amount of players playing that are from the mid-west. I expect big things from the USPHL this season.

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.