HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Draft - Philadelphia - Rounds 2-7 9:00 AM NHLN

Old
04-05-2014, 12:20 PM
dulzhok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
It is called player development. Players are learning to play offense and not be "two-way" players (which is Trotz speak for "they can play defense but better never try to score until I say so")
It's called having skill. Right now, we have no one as skilled as Nyquist. Just looking at stats, he put up a PPG in the AHL right off the bat-- last person to do that there was Radulov.

19 goals in the NHL is something but it's not immediate star trajectory. Patrick Eaves scored 20g 58 games as a rookie, then never scored above 14-- including playing in this Detroit system where offensive skill is supposedly grown in the back garden by the coach. Peverely scored 20 once, never again. Garabner hit 34 goals his first full season in the NHL, how he can't even get back to 20.

Scoring 20 goals means something, but if that's all you're going to do, you probably don't have a full-time place in the NHL (at least on a good NHL team). You either have to score more, or develop other aspects of your game.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
It's called having skill. Right now, we have no one as skilled as Nyquist. Just looking at stats, he put up a PPG in the AHL right off the bat-- last person to do that there was Radulov.

19 goals in the NHL is something but it's not immediate star trajectory. Patrick Eaves scored 20g 58 games as a rookie, then never scored above 14-- including playing in this Detroit system where offensive skill is supposedly grown in the back garden by the coach. Peverely scored 20 once, never again. Garabner hit 34 goals his first full season in the NHL, how he can't even get back to 20.

Scoring 20 goals means something, but if that's all you're going to do, you probably don't have a full-time place in the NHL (at least on a good NHL team). You either have to score more, or develop other aspects of your game.
20 Goals would be leading the team in forward scoring right now. Grabner's 34 would break the team's single season record.

Where was Nyquist drafted? Wings target skilled forwards, Preds target Defensive forwards. I'm sick of hearing about a prospect's "two-way" game it is a bogus way of saying he doesn't have any offensive skill. Keeping Forsberg in Milwaukee until he learns to play defense, just to have the coveted two-way game is BS. By the time Trotz and Poiile think he is ready he won't have any thing but a defensive game left. Ovechkin is minus a million and no one cares because he can actually score. Any doubt that had the Preds drafted him he would be a checking forward with a decent shot? Radulov left because he was never given a chance here. This team grinds skill out of players that have it. Jarnkrok is from the Wings org and actually looks like a real player instead of a grinder.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 01:43 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
20 Goals would be leading the team in forward scoring right now. Grabner's 34 would break the team's single season record.

Where was Nyquist drafted? Wings target skilled forwards, Preds target Defensive forwards. I'm sick of hearing about a prospect's "two-way" game it is a bogus way of saying he doesn't have any offensive skill. Keeping Forsberg in Milwaukee until he learns to play defense, just to have the coveted two-way game is BS. By the time Trotz and Poiile think he is ready he won't have any thing but a defensive game left. Ovechkin is minus a million and no one cares because he can actually score. Any doubt that had the Preds drafted him he would be a checking forward with a decent shot? Radulov left because he was never given a chance here. This team grinds skill out of players that have it. Jarnkrok is from the Wings org and actually looks like a real player instead of a grinder.
So if Grabner came here scored 34 then couldn't get close to that again because he's a one-dimensional streaky scorer, you'd be happy?

Radulov scored 26g getting 2nd line ice time his first full year in the NHL. Poor fellow getting held back. If you think Ovechkin would be a checking line player here is just shows the lengths Trotz haters are jading things.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 03:42 PM
GeauxPreds

to bring us back on topic I'd really like to see the preds try and package our second and detroits second to maybe move into the late first and grab one of Fabbri or Ho-sang if either fall. Fabbri, due to his stature or ho-sang due to work ethic concerns. Either way both are high upside prospects. I'd rather go after Fabbri if we did though, but he's less likely to fall. Strong compete level, consistent, 45 goals even after a 10 game suspension. Great shot and consistency decent amount of quickness and plays big.

GeauxPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 03:49 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxPreds View Post
to bring us back on topic I'd really like to see the preds try and package our second and detroits second to maybe move into the late first and grab one of Fabbri or Ho-sang if either fall. Fabbri, due to his stature or ho-sang due to work ethic concerns. Either way both are high upside prospects. I'd rather go after Fabbri if we did though, but he's less likely to fall. Strong compete level, consistent, 45 goals even after a 10 game suspension. Great shot and consistency decent amount of quickness and plays big.
I'd rather trade both 2nds and our 1st to move up a few spaces and take the guy we like.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 04:59 PM
INDhockeyfan

I do think we'll use Detroit's 2nd to move up in the draft or use it in a trade. All depends on where we pick and who we want. Ducks have Ottawa's 1st from the Bobby Ryan trade so they'll probably be a team who would be willing to trade that pick. Depends on which teams want which players.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 07:11 PM
RCola88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
I'd rather trade both 2nds and our 1st to move up a few spaces and take the guy we like.
But who do we take? I feel like there is no definite superstar out there. I'd love to get Draisaitl, but he still makes me hesitant

RCola88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 08:10 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
In 2003 that would have been giving up Suter, Weber and Klien to get, say, Nathan Horton. Maybe an anomaly but.....

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 09:01 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

My opinion is ****, and I admit it, but DD is mature, sounds a touch arrogant but still, I could see him as a 2nd line scorer.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 09:41 PM
GeauxPreds

Unless we're moving in to the top 4 to grab Dal Colle/Draisaitl I don't see us moving up. Really can't imagine any team above us looking to move down either.

Old
04-07-2014, 02:04 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
In 2003 that would have been giving up Suter, Weber and Klien to get, say, Nathan Horton. Maybe an anomaly but.....
That's not really an appropriate comparison though. It wasn't some shock that 2003 was an incredible draft--everyone knew it was going to be(though I don't think they knew it would be THIS good), but comparing it to say--last year, which was also considered a very strong, deep draft--it blew even that away. If you were picking in the top 9 or 10, you were getting a star\borderline superstar player...and 10-40 or 50 was considered insanely good relative to position as well.

Conversely, this is thought to be a relatively weak draft. The top 4 are all very good prospects, with the best forward--Sam Reinhart--being roughly comparable in both ability and NHL trajectory to Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. 5-8 represents another "really good" tier, and basically everything after is "eh, maybe." That trickles down into the later rounds. In an iffy year, you can either make your three picks and hope one of them turns into a decent NHLer, or you can go all in and swing for the fences with the best pick you can get.

With the Predators prospect pool being what it is-- Forsberg and a buffet of 2nd line max upside\3rd of 4th line likely upside -- I think the smarter move is to go for one of those (relatively) known commodities.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 02:23 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
With the Predators prospect pool being what it is-- Forsberg and a buffet of 2nd line max upside\3rd of 4th line likely upside -- I think the smarter move is to go for one of those (relatively) known commodities.
I agree with this. We've spent years throwing crap against the wall, hoping it'll stick, and we've really got nothing to show for it - our best two forward prospects were obtained in trades.

If there is a guy that the Preds want, like a DD or DalColle, i'm all for using any or multiple picks to move up and get him.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
I agree with this. We've spent years throwing crap against the wall, hoping it'll stick, and we've really got nothing to show for it - our best two forward prospects were obtained in trades.

If there is a guy that the Preds want, like a DD or DalColle, i'm all for using any or multiple picks to move up and get him.
The same reason no team in the top for will make the trade

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 03:19 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
The same reason no team in the top for will make the trade
Maybe. Maybe not.

Other teams will have different draft boards. They'll have different priorities on draft day.

It's not likely to get into the top 4, but depending on how far we have to go, it might not be impossible to find a trade partner - DD/DalColle/Ritchie/Perlini/Ehlers will likely be around somewhere between 5-9. Which one is the best fit for us? And can we go up to get him?

Old
04-07-2014, 10:22 PM
AintLifeGrand

lets say we end up crapping the bed tomorrow and miss the playoffs.. we are probably picking 9th at best

Here is my mock so far

1. Reinhart
2. Ekblad
3. Bennett
4. MDC
5. Deutschland Dangler
6. Ehlers
7. Nylander
8. Ritchie

Leaves us with the choice of Perlini, Mccann, Virtanen, Kapanen, Fiala, Kempe, Ho Sang,Pastrnak, Fabbri, Larkin, Tuch

Updated Draftboard

1. Kapanen
2. Fiala
3. Kempe
4.Fabbri
5. Virtanen
6. Ho Sang
7.Pastnak
8. Perlini
9. tuch
10. Larkin
11. Mccann

AintLifeGrand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 07:35 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
lets say we end up crapping the bed tomorrow and miss the playoffs.. we are probably picking 9th at best

Here is my mock so far

1. Reinhart
2. Ekblad
3. Bennett
4. MDC
5. Deutschland Dangler
6. Ehlers
7. Nylander
8. Ritchie

Leaves us with the choice of Perlini, Mccann, Virtanen, Kapanen, Fiala, Kempe, Ho Sang,Pastrnak, Fabbri, Larkin, Tuch

Updated Draftboard

1. Kapanen
2. Fiala
3. Kempe
4.Fabbri
5. Virtanen
6. Ho Sang
7.Pastnak
8. Perlini
9. tuch
10. Larkin
11. Mccann
Blah. I've enjoyed our little hot streak, but I think i'd take a few losses to get back into the Nylander/Ehlers territory.

If it broke that way, i'd probably go with Perlini, Pasternak, or Kapanen.

Although, I wouldn't be surprised if Fleury broke into the top 8 or so pushing one of the forwards down to us.

Old
04-08-2014, 08:38 AM
AintLifeGrand

Who in the top 10 needs Defense outside of Edmonton… Would Carolina swap with us if Ehlers/nylander and Fleury were available??

AintLifeGrand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
Who in the top 10 needs Defense outside of Edmonton… Would Carolina swap with us if Ehlers/nylander and Fleury were available??
God, I hope Buffalo goes Defense.

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 10:26 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
God, I hope Buffalo goes Defense.
Not likely, considering they used two first round picks last year on Ristolainen and Zadorov, and also have Pysyk on the verge of being NHL-ready.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 10:28 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Judging on rankings there may be as few as 6 defensemen picked in the first rd

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Just saw that the Panthers are now 2nd in the draft ... what do the Panthers need most D or F ?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 11:09 AM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Just saw that the Panthers are now 2nd in the draft ... what do the Panthers need most D or F ?
The Panthers need both but at 2 logic would indicate they will take Ekblad if Reinhart goes 1. Then again all one has to do is to look at last years draft to see they are unpredictable. With the return of Lou and Horacheck behind the bench again logic would indicate defense. They are not unlike the Preds at center they have been looking for that 1C for a while and have a glut of centermen on the roster playing out of position. They are weak at left wing having 3 on the roster and Kopkyey and Flieshmann aging quick. Campbell, Jovo and Gilbert will need to be replaced soon the remainder of the defense are young. So it may be a toss up Ekblad, Bennett or Draisaitl are LW where there short. So Dale Tallon is the key we know he is likely to draft to the nedd from last years surprise selection of Barkov.

The Buffalo selection will be critical if for chance they go D and take Ekblad you may well see Reinhart fall to 3 or Florida and Edmonton swapping picks to take Reinhart. That would be worse case for the OIL they have been pretty much counting on Ekbland.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 04:16 PM
GeauxPreds

There is still a chance that one of Ehlers/Nylander/Ritchie drops to us at 9 or 10. Fleury could go early to a team really in need of D and Perlini/Virtanen might be picked up inbetween them.

Old
04-09-2014, 07:55 PM
hockeyjack89
R.I.P. Thrashers

Either Draisaitl or Ehlers.

hockeyjack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 08:49 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Preds officially have the Red Wings 2nd rounder now.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote