HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What will it cost to resign Aaron Miller ?

Old
02-28-2007, 09:07 AM
jmjt9864

vCash: 500
What will it cost to resign Aaron Miller ?

Let me start by saying that I wish he was dealt as well as he probably would have got a 2nd at least. I know DL hinted he wanted to keep him, but considering his age and reliability factor, how much is he worth considering there are some younger, higher end UFAs this summer?

Thoughts

jmjt9864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 10:34 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

The fact that he has stayed healthy all season only makes him a richer man next year.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 10:38 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
The fact that he has stayed healthy all season only makes him a richer man next year.
I honestly don't see him making more than his current salary ($2.28 million). I would hope that Dean could get him to sign for $2 million or less. But who knows? Lombardi thought that Cloutier was worth $3.1 million/year.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 10:49 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

I agree with that. What I meant was that if he had been injured at all this year, he'd only get half the deal that he'll end up getting.

Old
02-28-2007, 10:53 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
I agree with that. What I meant was that if he had been injured at all this year, he'd only get half the deal that he'll end up getting.
Oh.....OK.....probably true.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:05 AM
funky

I like Miller, I believe he will be re-signed, would be a great 5th defensman and mentor. Saying that, the market will be flooded with younger versions of him and he is getting longer in the tooth and provides zero offence.

Pros and Cons out of the way I could see a contract in the range of 2 years 3m to 4m total. 1.5 - 2m a year is fair in my mind.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
If it's for more than 1,5M I'm gonna puke.
We all know Miller won't play more than 50 games next season.

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Capn Brown

I'm really surprised he's still here. I'm 99% certain DL isn't going to re-sign him (he'll have Souray & Stuart to contend with first).

Jeez, couldn't Miller have been moved to Pittsburgh for something like a 3rd? The fact that he wasn't suggests either two things: (1) nobody wanted Miller, or (2) DL's asking price was too high.

Again, with the possibilites of Souray & Stuart becoming Kings, with Blake & Visnovsky already Kings, and with (possibly) JMFJ playing for the Kings next year along with (perhaps) Petiot and/or Harrold (and don't forger Weaver & Doll-man!), there really isn't much of a point to DL re-signing Aaron Miller.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:56 PM
lakings41

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daleks View Post
I'm really surprised he's still here. I'm 99% certain DL isn't going to re-sign him (he'll have Souray & Stuart to contend with first).

Jeez, couldn't Miller have been moved to Pittsburgh for something like a 3rd? The fact that he wasn't suggests either two things: (1) nobody wanted Miller, or (2) DL's asking price was too high.

Again, with the possibilites of Souray & Stuart becoming Kings, with Blake & Visnovsky already Kings, and with (possibly) JMFJ playing for the Kings next year along with (perhaps) Petiot and/or Harrold (and don't forger Weaver & Doll-man!), there really isn't much of a point to DL re-signing Aaron Miller.
Agreed and you can add Cory Sarich to that list of who we should move for. He's also a UFA.
I personally believe that the offers for Miller were a joke as the rest of the league isn't that stupid. I don't care how well he's played for us this year. Some of us here forget how fragile he's been in the last five years not to mention last twelve years as he's only hit the 70 game mark twice in his career.
It would be salary suicide again.

lakings41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:23 PM
HeadInjury

My guess is $2 million. He has played very well this season.

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:26 PM
kingsfan25

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

It is clear that Lombardi thought more highly of Miller over Norstrom. He is looked upon as a leader on the team and will be looked upon to take a couple of young defensemen under his wing along with Rob Blake and Lubomir Visnovsky.

Three veterans will assume the blueline, with possibly one or two youngsters filling spots (Johnson and Petiot or Harrold) and possibly an addition or two via free agency. Dallman is also under contract for next season, but my guess is he'll be the #7 or will be assigned to Manchester next season.

Miller is still 35 (turning 36 in August) and he'll get a two-year contract tops, although I think a one year is more suitable for Miller, but his history of fragility would make me leary to give him anything beyond a one-year deal.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:35 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
If he wasn't planning in re-signing Miller, then why didn't he trade him?

Couple that with Lombardi's public statements about wanting to re-sign Miller (and Armstrong, who has been re-signed), and I think it's more like 99% certain that Lombardi WILL re-sign Miller.

Old
02-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi View Post
We all know Miller won't play more than 50 games next season.
That's what people said last year.
Quote:

No offense, but you couldn't be more wrong. Miller wasn't traded because Norstrom was. It was as simple as that. Both players were highly valued around the league. Norstrom went because his cap hit was so high. If contract situations were the other way around, I'm sure that it would've been Miller who was dealt. Miller will be signed to an extension in the next few months (maybe even in the next few days). I'm 100% sure of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
It is clear that Lombardi thought more highly of Miller over Norstrom.
I don't think that you can say that. See my reply to Daleks. It had everything to do with cap hit, IMO.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 10:49 PM
RightKinger

If the Kings can add one quality defensman in the offseason and resign Miller the
defense will look good (on paper) and have good depth.

Visnovsky-Timmonen
Blake-Johnson
Miller-Petiot/Harrold

Extras - Weaver/Dallman

I don't think the Kings really need much more offense from the blueline since they already have Johnson, Visnovsky, and Blake. Instead I think they should add a guy that is good in his own zone and can still play on the PP. A guy like Kimmo Timmonen would be perfect but I don't think he'll leave Nashville. Sami Salo would be good too. Personally I think Brad Stuart is a much better fit for the Kings than Souray. If they can't land one of these defensmen then they should focus on getting a physical defensive defensmen. Scott Hannan would be great if Lombardi can get him for under 3.5M. What type of defensman would you guys like to see brought in?

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Michigan Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
That's what people said last year.

No offense, but you couldn't be more wrong. Miller wasn't traded because Norstrom was. It was as simple as that. Both players were highly valued around the league. Norstrom went because his cap hit was so high. If contract situations were the other way around, I'm sure that it would've been Miller who was dealt. Miller will be signed to an extension in the next few months (maybe even in the next few days). I'm 100% sure of that.

I don't think that you can say that. See my reply to Daleks. It had everything to do with cap hit, IMO.
I agree with everything.

I don't know that you can say with certainty that Lombardi liked Miller better than Norstrom, but he specifically spoke positively about Miller and Blake at the Breakfast with the GM event. And he specifically spoke negatively about Norstrom. And while he brought money into the conversation at other points (e.g. Cammalleri), he did not mention money when talking about these players. So it's quite possible that he did like Miller better than Norstrom, money aside. But it's obviously impossible to separate the player from his contract without more insight into Lombardi's thinking.

Michigan Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:33 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
I honestly don't see him making more than his current salary ($2.28 million). I would hope that Dean could get him to sign for $2 million or less. But who knows? Lombardi thought that Cloutier was worth $3.1 million/year.
I like that. He is worth 2 million.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 01:13 AM
Moberman

With the litanny of goals the inept goaltenders gave up for the first 2/3 of the season, it's amazing that Miller is only a minus 5. Lubo is a bonus because he scores and plays solid "D", but most Defense isn't paid to score. While scoring is the main stat that shows up on the scoresheet, Blake, Miller & Matty have continuosly made solid defensive plays to stop the opponents from scoring. If they were not valuable to the team then why would the be alternate captains. People need to appreciate D more and I believe the Kings will reward Miller for his solid play.

Moberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 04:10 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Keep him cheap. Beyond that is insanity.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 04:11 AM
ExplosionsintheGine

Just say NO to Miller.

ExplosionsintheGine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 04:35 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger View Post
If the Kings can add one quality defensman in the offseason and resign Miller the
defense will look good (on paper) and have good depth.

Visnovsky-Timmonen
Blake-Johnson
Miller-Petiot/Harrold

Extras - Weaver/Dallman

I don't think the Kings really need much more offense from the blueline since they already have Johnson, Visnovsky, and Blake. Instead I think they should add a guy that is good in his own zone and can still play on the PP. A guy like Kimmo Timmonen would be perfect but I don't think he'll leave Nashville. Sami Salo would be good too. Personally I think Brad Stuart is a much better fit for the Kings than Souray. If they can't land one of these defensmen then they should focus on getting a physical defensive defensmen. Scott Hannan would be great if Lombardi can get him for under 3.5M. What type of defensman would you guys like to see brought in?

That's a pretty small defense.