HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why isn't anyone one talking about the Rangers?

Old
04-10-2014, 09:21 AM
vippe

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vippe
If Rangers roll on all cylinders I believe they have a good shot against any team in the league. I am certainly afraid of them.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 09:22 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo Fring View Post
I don't see them out scoring Philly, but what do I know?
On the year (in 1 less game), philly has scored 10 more goals and has let up 27 more goals. Defensively and in goal, the Rangers have the advantage. Offensively, philly has the advantage, but it isn't that wide of a gap.

The teams have split 4 games this year, with each team winning their games at home. The Rangers have outscored philly in those 4 games 10-8.

It seems likely that they will face each other in the 1st round. It should be a good series.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
If Rangers roll on all cylinders I believe they have a good shot against any team in the league. I am certainly afraid of them.
Please. Your incessant Henrik love is soiling the carpet!

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
frivolousz21

The Rangers GD is +25.

They are a cup contender now.

the Rags and and leafs have been going in opposite directions.

The leafs are -22 now.

The Rags have increased their GD by 20 goals the last month or so.

frivolousz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 09:34 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Please. Your incessant Henrik love is soiling the carpet!
What?

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 09:39 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

On December 20th, they were 16-18-2, -18 in goal differential (82-100) and 26th in goals scored.

Since then?

28-13-3, +43 in goal differential (134-91) and 17th in goals scored. Averages out to over three goals a game over the last 44 games.

The first two months hurt them. Theyre obviously a different team, mainly because Lundqvist has played like a Vezina winner for almost four months.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 09:53 AM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShirts88 View Post
Not disagreeing with you, but I'm just curious, who did you consider #1?
Gonna assume Quick.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 09:56 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
On December 20th, they were 16-18-2, -18 in goal differential (82-100) and 26th in goals scored.

Since then?

28-13-3, +43 in goal differential (134-91) and 17th in goals scored. Averages out to over three goals a game over the last 44 games.

The first two months hurt them. Theyre obviously a different team, mainly because Lundqvist has played like a Vezina winner for almost four months.
That is very impressive. All of us flyer fans are hoping for home ice or Pitt. It would be a hard fought battle against the rangers and a very close outcome.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 10:02 AM
ZacUSNYR

I don't think the Flyers have much of an issue against the Rangers. Turn up the physical, goon up the games, Rangers don't have the strength or size to play that game.

Flyers in 5 regardless of home advantage.

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 10:16 AM
tbonenc*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
I like the Rangers, however, they may not be deep enough. The loss of Krider is big and they may not be big enough. They can certainly make it to the conference final.
Big, gritty might be a weakness, but deep is not.
IMO, they are as deep as anyone. Third line of Poulliot, Brassard and Zuccarello has been fantastic. Fourth line of Moore, Boyle and Dorsett/Carcillo has been one of the best in the league. Just need the first two lines to produce consistently.

Defense is among the best in the league, with the best shutdown defenseman in the NHL.

Hank has been spotty, but is more than capable of shutting down anyone.

tbonenc* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 10:19 AM
Burke the Legend

I think the Rangers are underrated in their ECF chances because fair or not, like the Sharks, fans have begun to perceive them have acquired a bit of an underachiever reputation. Over the past 5 years they have not accomplished much in the playoffs despite having pretty solid teams and goaltending. Now we're just talking dumb fan sentiment here, but hey, this is hfboards.

Burke the Legend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Fataldogg

Lundqvist is where he needs to be. Even AV said he is ready the other day. He has been one of the best goaltenders in the NHL over the last 35 Games. Even if fans rag on him.

St. Louis is started to look better. Stepan is playing his best hockey all season. The Brassard line is rocking.

Only thing I'm worried about, again, is Nash. We cannot have 4th liners putting the puck in the net more than him. He will needed to be a game breaker. His one goal in ten games played won't cut it. If Nash can be a game breaker, I think the Rangers can make a deep run. If he brings his usual self to the post season, a first or second round KO is all but assured.

A lot also depends on how McDonagh looks long term after coming back. He is probably the biggest x factor for the team, because without him, we are going to have a awfully hard time shutting down elite offensive talent.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 10:55 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacUSNYR View Post
I don't think the Flyers have much of an issue against the Rangers. Turn up the physical, goon up the games, Rangers don't have the strength or size to play that game.

Flyers in 5 regardless of home advantage.
It's possible but we have not won at the garden or really come close in 3 years. Hank plays amazing against us every time. Obviously playoffs are different and I do think we have a good shot. We did beat the Habs in 4 or 5 in 2010 after getting dominated by them in the reg season that same year.

No question flyers need to use their physical play against anyone and I'm sure they will

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
I think the Rangers are underrated in their ECF chances because fair or not, like the Sharks, fans have begun to perceive them have acquired a bit of an underachiever reputation. Over the past 5 years they have not accomplished much in the playoffs despite having pretty solid teams and goaltending. Now we're just talking dumb fan sentiment here, but hey, this is hfboards.
Pretty solid teams? They went in as conference champions once and went to the ECF.

Outside of that they have had several 7/8 apperances, and some midlevel showings like 5/6. Getting knocked out in the first two rounds with those kinds of seedings is not underachieving.

Sharks got that reputation b/c they would routinely win their division/conference and be a top-5 team in the entire NHL. Unfortunately, Rangers have not had that problem since the lock out. They really have only had one team ever on the level of a Sharks team, and a big part of that was the defensive core like Girardi, McDonagh, Staal, etc, and especially Lundqvist shutting down the door.

Old
04-10-2014, 10:59 AM
Classicnamesup
MVP Backhand Slapper

I think there are 3 better teams in the East. And about 8 better teams in the league. So yeah, not that big of a threat.

Classicnamesup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 10:59 AM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
It's possible but we have not won at the garden or really come close in 3 years. Hank plays amazing against us every time. Obviously playoffs are different and I do think we have a good shot. We did beat the Habs in 4 or 5 in 2010 after getting dominated by them in the reg season that same year.

No question flyers need to use their physical play against anyone and I'm sure they will
Rangers winning in 4/5 or Flyers winning in 4/5 would be a huge upset. And I say that as a Ranger fan. Objectively, flip a coin, either team can win. And it will go 6/7.

I think some Flyer fans are delusional if they think Henrik and the Rangers don't take a couple games.

It may not even be Rangers/Flyers. Might be Rangers/Blue Jackets or Flyers/Blue Jackets (smaller chance).

I almost hope it is the CBJ, because than I might actually get to see what Nash looks like when he tries in a playoff series. At which point, he'd fizzle out in the second round knowing he isn't facing his old team.

Old
04-10-2014, 11:00 AM
Dolphins2Bolts
Intangibles R Underr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
We're 2-1-1 against them this season?

Cally disappears in the playoffs, quite often.

WHo is Hemrick?
So the 6 goals in 20 games in the 2012 playoffs is disappearing? They got to the ECF because of guys like Cally.

Dolphins2Bolts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 11:01 AM
Crease

Depth isn't a problem for this team. Their "third line" has been their most reliable offensively for the bulk of the season and they have seven very capable defensemen. The question is whether their thoroughbreds will show up (MSL, Nash, Stepan, and Lundqvist).

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 11:03 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLightning24 View Post
So the 6 goals in 20 games in the 2012 playoffs is disappearing? They got to the ECF because of guys like Cally.
callahans PPG is significantly lower in the postseason than it is in the regular season. hes never been a difference maker in the postseason.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Dolphins2Bolts
Intangibles R Underr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
callahans PPG is significantly lower in the postseason than it is in the regular season. hes never been a difference maker in the postseason.
It's not always about the points.

Old
04-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLightning24 View Post
Callahan is a widely known playoff under performer. Because you're optimistic about him on the Lightning, don't pretend to look at just the stats. Rangers fans know.

He was OKAY in 11/12. Biggest reason the Rangers went that far was Lundqvist/Richards.

Callahan has never been a big time performer in the post season. Don't expect him to be this year. If he is, just be pleasantly surprised. That is how I will feel if Nash scores a couple goals. Pleasantly surprised.

Old
04-10-2014, 11:06 AM
416Leafer

Nash? An elite forward? Bahaahahahaha

A perennial ~60 point winger who isnt an elite defensive player, pretty overrated.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 11:09 AM
Gardner McKay
Last Mango In Paris

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
If the Rangers are playing Carcillo and Dorsett, bring it
So I completely prove you wrong and then you respond with to a point that I never made? I said we have Carcillo/Dorsett. No where did I say both would play on the same night.

--But after the long calm, there are now beginnings of a stir. The reunion at hand may joy, it may bring fear. But let us embrace whatever it brings. For they are coming back. At last, the promise has been made. --
Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 11:11 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
I just don`t see them having kind of grit nor depth needed to make a deep run
Grit I'll give you, but the Rangers have a lot of depth. If they didn't with their stars not producing as much as they should, instead of being middle of the pack (slightly lower) offensively they would be bottom of the barrel.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 11:11 AM
Dolphins2Bolts
Intangibles R Underr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Callahan is a widely known playoff under performer. Because you're optimistic about him on the Lightning, don't pretend to look at just the stats. Rangers fans know.

He was OKAY in 11/12. Biggest reason the Rangers went that far was Lundqvist/Richards.

Callahan has never been a big time performer in the post season. Don't expect him to be this year. If he is, just be pleasantly surprised. That is how I will feel if Nash scores a couple goals. Pleasantly surprised.
Richards and Nash were awful last post season, so bad Richards got benched. Callahan has always brought a lot to the table even if it did not show up on the score sheet. You should know that, and don't be bitter towards Callahan who deserved a better fate than being thrown overboard, over a NTC. This is why I am done posting on the Rangers forum, because this crap just does not end. It will be Callahan today, Nash tomorrow, buy out Richards this, trade MSL that, and etc. Ranger fans are known for throwing their players under the bus as soon as they enter a small slump. Sorry but I've seem it all over the place.