HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Re-build the Flyers defense

Old
04-10-2014, 08:58 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedeward View Post
I understand Trouba but why dont u think we should move Streit?
Because he's the Flyers best offensive dman and Kimmo may well retire in which case Streit will be running the top PP unit.

Mark Streit actually has the 16th most ES points in the league among defenseman.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...scoringLeaders

Last edited by Curufinwe: 04-10-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 09:14 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 500
Why does anyone seriously think Trouba is available? Ask yourself something. If you were Winnipeg; would you trade Trouba? That guy is going to be a number one defenseman in this league for a long time.

Trading Streit makes no sense either. With Timonen gone after next year (at best), he's going to be relied on with Coburn to lead the unit and mentor the young guys coming up. It turns out he's pretty good at driving the play as well. He's been exactly what the Flyers were hoping they would get when they signed him.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 10:24 AM
Tedeward

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
You produce offense from your blueline.

Subtract Timonen and Streit from our defense and suddenly we have none of that. Gustafsson becomes our best offensive weapon at the point.
I just think that there could be an alternative offensive threat that is younger. If we can get that then we should trade him, if not then i wouldnt mind keeping him.

Tedeward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 10:37 AM
DaftCaptain

trade for dougie hamilton

DaftCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 10:38 AM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
I just think that there could be an alternative offensive threat that is younger. If we can get that then we should trade him, if not then i wouldnt mind keeping him.
Good young offensive d-men come at a premium, if they are even available. The Flyers are probably better off waiting for their own young guys (Ghost, Hagg, Morin) to arrive and keeping Streit around. If Timonen retires don't be surprised if Homer signs another veteran guy as a stopgap until the kids do arrive.

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 10:48 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaftCaptain View Post
Post of the year. Can't believe no one has thought of this yet. I wonder if they would give us Mesz back.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 10:50 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaftCaptain View Post
lets give em the AHL superstar and future considerations.
im sure they will take it

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 11:00 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
You produce offense from your blueline.

Subtract Timonen and Streit from our defense and suddenly we have none of that. Gustafsson becomes our best offensive weapon at the point.
Timonen trails Coburn and the traded Meszaros at production at even strength.

Streit is the only legitimate offensive threat the Flyers have from the blueline at even strength. It's been a problem since Pronger went down and Timonen regressed and it's not surprising that the Flyers have struggled at even strength since then.

Even strength points by the defense in 2013/14:

Streit: 25
Coburn: 16
Meszaros: 16
Timonen: 13
Grossmann: 13
Schenn: 11
Gus: 8
MacDonald: 3

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 04-10-2014 at 01:28 PM.
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 11:06 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Timonen trails Coburn and the traded Mezsaros at production at even strength.

Streit is the only legitimate offensive threat the Flyers have from the blueline at even strength. It's been a problem since Pronger went down and Timonen regressed and it's not surprising that the Flyers have struggled at even strength since then.

Even strength points by the defense in 2013/14:

Streit: 25
Coburn: 16
Mezaros: 16
Timonen: 13
Grossmann: 13
Schenn: 11
Gus: 8
MacDonald: 3
was thinking about this a little while ago. where do the Flyers defenseman rank in even strength points as a group compared with the other teams?

Old
04-10-2014, 11:17 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
was thinking about this a little while ago. where do the Flyers defenseman rank in even strength points as a group compared with the other teams?
I'm going to say not very high, considering that Streit and Coburn are the only two Flyers (excluding MacDonald who put up 12 of his 15 ES points with the Isles) in the top 100 for even strength scoring... and their combined totals would still be behind Karlsson.

Edit: I guess Mez's 16 points should count, too, and he would still be in the top 100 even if just his points with the Flyers were counted.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Tedeward

Ok you guys have somewhat convinced me to keep Sreit, but we should definetly trade in like 2 or 3 years. But i still think we should trade Grossmann and Gus for something like a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th if Homer can work his magic.

Old
04-10-2014, 01:30 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

Quote:
Ok you guys have somewhat convinced me to keep Sreit, but we should definetly trade in like 2 or 3 years. But i still think we should trade Grossmann and Gus for something like a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th if Homer can work his magic.
its pretty clear even with all his faults the Flyers coaching staff likes Grossmann. I doubt they trade him.

Old
04-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Tedeward

Quote:
its pretty clear even with all his faults the Flyers coaching staff likes Grossmann. I doubt they trade him.
I know they like him but hopefully they get their head out of their ass and trade him so that they can fill the spot with a younger player.

Old
04-10-2014, 04:51 PM
PropJoe

Quote:
At the Sloan Sports Analytics conference Stan Bowman talked about how his front office evaluated players separately from his coaching staff. I'm paraphrasing here but the gist was that players with lower levels of skills were given the benefit of the doubt in the coaches grading because the expectations for their performance were set lower. Grossmann certainly fits the mold of the type of player who is given the benefit of low expectations by the coaching staff because of his lack of skill.

I would hope the Flyers aren't thickheaded enough to rely solely on their coaching staff for player evaluations. There's an internal bias that arises from being around the player all the time and presumably liking him. Andrej Meszaros was given a bad wrap all offseason and was labeled "untradeable" by many. If that's the problem with trading Grossmann (which it should be) then fine. But if they actually keep him around while actually having offers on the table they're probably making the mistake of A. Allowing their coaching staff to do all of their evaluations for them or B. evaluating him entirely wrong.

PropJoe is offline   Reply With Quote