HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Jagr's team is back

Old
03-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
I don't think...

we can trust anybody on this one.

Ward was benched then traded, and at the time of the benching, he was not this team's worst defenseman by any stretch. Perhaps he was benched to give teams a look at Rachunek and Pock, and Sather found no biters. Perhaps he was benched because the Rangers were working on a trade for him and seeing as though the CLS game was the last game before the deadline, perhaps they wanted to ensure he doesn't get hurt in that game.

As for the style of play...I prefer a different style, but do not think that every line needs to play a similar style. Jagr needs to play in a manner to make him most successful. Whatever style that is, it is. Every player needs to be in a role that fits them well, and needs to play a style to the best of their abilities. That's it. Shanahan being out of the lineup doesn't change the way Jagr plays one bit.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
we can trust anybody on this one.

Ward was benched then traded, and at the time of the benching, he was not this team's worst defenseman by any stretch. Perhaps he was benched to give teams a look at Rachunek and Pock, and Sather found no biters. Perhaps he was benched because the Rangers were working on a trade for him and seeing as though the CLS game was the last game before the deadline, perhaps they wanted to ensure he doesn't get hurt in that game.
I don't know why we're all looking past Ward's gaffe in the NJ game directly before the Columbus game. If Ward doesn't take a run at the puck carrier as the Devils were breaking in 3-on-2, then the Devils don't have a 2-on-1 and Prucha doesn't have to scramble on the backcheck. He wasn't the worst d-man, but being responsible for the game-tying goal (I'd split the blame evenly on that one between Prucha and Ward) in a must-win game is grounds for a benching.

There were a number of reasons for the scratch and trade more reasonable than an argument that occurred at the beginning of February.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Edge

I think the whole situaition is overblown.

Hossa right now is hot, that is what is helping. Jagr still isn't scoring goals at any better a rate than he was with Shanahan in the lineup.

Nothing has really changed, as of right now this is still a one line team.

As for the Ward-Jagr situation it's also overblown. Ryan Smyth and Jason Smith, two people in leadership positions actually dropped the gloves and fought a few years back, this stuff happens ALL the time.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 01:19 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I prefer a different style, but do not think that every line needs to play a similar style.
That is true for 5 man unit. Line itself is not enough to carry out a different style. I think Rangers had tried that and after a while has realized how difficult it was to follow. In other words you're right, but we tried and failed.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 01:28 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
I don't know why we're all looking past Ward's gaffe in the NJ game directly before the Columbus game. If Ward doesn't take a run at the puck carrier as the Devils were breaking in 3-on-2, then the Devils don't have a 2-on-1 and Prucha doesn't have to scramble on the backcheck. He wasn't the worst d-man, but being responsible for the game-tying goal (I'd split the blame evenly on that one between Prucha and Ward) in a must-win game is grounds for a benching.

There were a number of reasons for the scratch and trade more reasonable than an argument that occurred at the beginning of February.
and don't forget in the game at nj ward inexplicably drifts to rachunek's side allowing parise to streak to the net untouched...and still be in position to throw the puck off rachunek's stick into the net.

and the last game against philly ward again drifted on the goal by gagne that made it 2-1 and helped lead to the loss.

ward, if not the worst d-man on the rangers recently, has been pretty close to it. not to mention he's had more pucks go in off of him than anybody else. and that's saying something considering how many times it's happened to the entire group.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 01:31 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ke-diary_x.htm
Quote:
Tuesday, Feb. 20

Sather talks to me about O'Brien, and Pleau asks if I want to revisit the Tkachuk deal and make it bigger. We decide it's not going to work, but we are interested in Bill Guerin. Sather tells me he's got a good offer for Aaron Ward from another team.
From Burke. Put it this way, this was well before he was sat out. Ward was on his way out beforehand. I think he was sat out as a precaution to injury because they knew they were going to trade him. It could have been the Jagr thing, but I think Sather saw a good offer for a defenseman who's been struggling all year. So he bit.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote