HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Canadian grass roots hockey - threatened by parents

Old
04-10-2014, 12:06 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Canadian grass roots hockey - threatened by parents

http://www.macleans.ca/society/life/...hockey-fights/

Hockey parents are very passionate about the game their kids play. To the point of physical confrontation in the stands. And parents demanding where and how their kids (for whom they have NHL aspirations) play, undermining the local associations authority in geographic assignments, etc. Referees and coaches are getting so much (verbal) abuse, that organizations are having problems finding folks to fill those positions.

Quote:
Together, these cases reflect a level of obsession that is exacting an enormous toll on the minor hockey system. Local volunteers must now follow lawyer-designed protocols to deal with problem parents, lest the matter wind up in civil or criminal courts. At the country’s biggest association, the Greater Toronto Hockey League, meetings over discipline or player transfers have evolved into a kind of shadow justice system—complete with lawyers, scheduled hearings and rules of procedure. The effects are wide-ranging: frazzled organizers, rising registration fees to cover legal costs and stagnant enrolment due to a growing sense among young families that the game is consumed by adversarial politics. One president of a minor hockey association in southern Ontario told Maclean’s that this year, for the first time, she couldn’t find a coach for one of her bantam teams. “There were four or five fathers on the team who had their coaching cards,” says Donna Horan, of New Tecumseth. “But they wouldn’t do it. I chalk that up to abuse. It’s not the game and it’s not the kids. It’s the adults that ruin it.”
(Emphasis mine)

Local associations are reaching out to parents to get them to "train" them to better behave, but how many will willingly participate?

Could this be the cause of some/all of the lack of growth of grass roots hockey in Canada?

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Rocko604

I've been considering getting back into reffing. Haven't done it since I was in high school though, and I'm 31 now. I work in law enforcement so parents yelling at me for missing a hooking call isn't going phase me.

That said, I've talked to one co-worker whose son is in Midget, he said that association would probably hire me in heartbeat, while my wife's uncle, whose kids are in Atom says some associations won't hire older guys like me as they want to develop young refs. We'll see how it goes. My shift work and availability might deter them anyway.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 01:35 PM
sawchuk1971

wheres that so called "hockey ambassador" wayne gretzky on this issue? wheres don cherry? ron maclean?

its kinda sad that i don't see any present (sidney crosby) or retired NHLers (wayne gretzky, mario lemieux) speaking out on the issue of pushy hockey parents, making hockey less fun among canadian youth..

as long as hockey canada continues making money, i guess, everyone in the sport of hockey will ignore it.....who cares...

sawchuk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 04:36 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

My high school soccer coach made a rule where if your parents misbehaved in the stands, the kid wouldn't play the rest of the game. Got some parents to shape up quick.

bluesfan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 05:36 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
I've been considering getting back into reffing. Haven't done it since I was in high school though, and I'm 31 now. I work in law enforcement so parents yelling at me for missing a hooking call isn't going phase me.

That said, I've talked to one co-worker whose son is in Midget, he said that association would probably hire me in heartbeat, while my wife's uncle, whose kids are in Atom says some associations won't hire older guys like me as they want to develop young refs. We'll see how it goes. My shift work and availability might deter them anyway.
Article says that the **turn over** in officiating is 10,000 per year!! That's a lot of kids (of any age ) turning away from officiating. And that may impact officials for NHL down the road.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 05:53 PM
Canadiens1958

Two Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post

Two Points.

Associations do not hire on ice officials. They will simply direct you to the body that does.

Age is not a barrier. In Québec, on ice officials start at ages older than 31, some in their fifties. Just get the single letter youth games and the awkward hour adult games at the lower levels.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 05:55 PM
Canadiens1958

School Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
My high school soccer coach made a rule where if your parents misbehaved in the stands, the kid wouldn't play the rest of the game. Got some parents to shape up quick.
One of the advantages of school hockey is that the games are played mainly weekdays, before supper time. Parents work.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Two Points.

Associations do not hire on ice officials. They will simply direct you to the body that does.

Age is not a barrier. In Québec, on ice officials start at ages older than 31, some in their fifties. Just get the single letter youth games and the awkward hour adult games at the lower levels.
Out here you apply directly to your hometown association. They're the ones that train and certify you, albeit only to a certain level.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Pacifist Goon

That's not unique to hockey, you'll find that in any sport. At least in hockey you have only a few positions, which must lead to a bit less ' but my kid plays this position, not that one' going on.

'Well maybe if your kid learned to catch, throw or pass or got fit he could play that position'. Man some parents are deluded.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote