HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reserve List

Old
03-01-2007, 02:12 AM
kingsfan25

vCash: 500
Reserve List

The term is slowly replacing "five-year plan" as the "it" word of the Kings organization. We talk about this "reserve list" all the time in reference to trades and DL's acquisition of prospects. It entered our lexicon by virtue of DL's reference to it in justifying the O'Sullivan trade.

It was suggested recently by a poster that the reserve list might be categorized in terms of when each prospect should become NHL-ready.

From a fan's perspective, one has to wonder if this organization's prospects are sufficiently staggered, and which areas of Dean Lombardi's perceived reserve list have the greatest quantity of legitimate prospects and which have the fewest; moreover, it would seem prudent to examine the calibre of these prospects and exactly how the various calibres are distributed throughout the reserve list.

As I am not privy to the specific ranking systems and other information of the Kings organization, in attempting to create some sort of map of the reserve list, I have relied to a great degree on the ranking systems and projections provided by Hockey's Future.

As you know, the main HockeysFuture site contains extensive information on the prospect pools of each team in the NHL. Included among that information are an ETA projection as well as a prospect rating; these are the basic qualifications that I have used in my attempts to outline the Kings' reserve list.

I have chosen the 23 prospects that I believe have a realistic chance of progressing, at some point, into an NHL player. I have also broken those prospects up into three rating categories: 8+, 7+, and 6+. Finally, I have broken these rating categories up into four categories of ETA: Now, '07'08, '08'09, and '09'10+. It should be noted, that many of the prospects categorized as "Now" are not yet on the team and, thus, the “Now” and ‘07’08 sections are somewhat blurred.

Obviously, some of my decisions as to who is included on the list of 23 and some of HF's rating's are up for debate; however, this is the closest approximation to a comprehensive audit of the organization that I could attain.

The prospects on my list include: O'Sullivan, Kopitar, Boyle, Tukonen, Bernier, Petiot, Lewis, Ryan, Pushkarev, Kanko, Parse, Fast, Quick, Baier, Zatkoff, Hersely, Harrold, Lukacevic, McGinnis, Cliche, Anderson, Johnson, and Moulson.

As you can see, the list corresponds, essentially to the top 20 rated prospects in the organization with some additions from the “other notables” section.

Of those prospects, 5 are rated 8+, 8 are rated 7+, and 10 are rated 6+.

8+, according to HF, ranks the player as a 1st line forward, #2 D or #1 G; 7+ ranks the player as a 2nd line forward, #3-4 D, or journeyman #1 G; 6+ ranks the player as a 3rd line forward, #5-6D, or a depth G.

The manner in which these prospect groups are staggered on the reserve list is as follows:

.......Now..'07'08...'08'09....'09'10+
8+......2.........2..........0..........1
7+......2.........2..........2..........2
6+......1.........4..........1..........4

I have had to estimate some of these ETA's myself, as they weren't provided by HF and the chart itself is a bit rudimentary; however, one can get a general sense, I think, of how this team's reserve list shapes up (it does appear fairly well-balanced). Obviously, not all of these ETA’s will come to fruition and some players will be move forward or backward depending on their development and some will just never end up making it. However, I think this does give us some indication of how DL is building this reserve. I think having some knowledge of the reserve could also give us greater understanding of some of the moves for prospects and picks that DL makes in the future.

As to his actions thus far, Dean Lombardi has, during his tenure, added 6 prospects: O'Sullivan (8+), Johnson (8+), Bernier (8+), Lewis (7+), Moulson (7+), and Cliche (6+). Of those prospects, one falls into the "Now" category, two fall into the "'07'08" category, two fall into the "'08'09" category, and one falls into the "'09'10+" category.

In his actions thus far, it appears that DL has been shoring up each of section of the team’s reserve pool. Of seemingly extensive focus are the next two years, the same time period that he signed many of his off-season veteran acquisitions for.

At any rate, I leave any analysis or criticism to you; I hope that my attempt to create some kind of rough sketch of the Kings' current prospect pool has proven at least somewhat successful.

I’m creating this thread as a means to gain some understanding of this team’s youthful assets, of the concept of the reserve list which I don’t think has been discussed to any definitive degree; there are people much more qualified than myself to comment on this matter. The information I put forth is meant to serve as a beginning to the discussion and I hope that some of those more qualified people will chime in with more information and insight to build upon what I’ve managed to put together.

Last edited by kingsfan25: 03-01-2007 at 02:33 AM.
kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 02:22 AM
Osprey

It looks fairly balanced to me.

Sorry for the shortness, but I'm clearly more tired than you at the moment

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 02:26 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

The Reserve List is really nothing more then a list of players either under contract or who's rights are owned by the team. It's pretty much everyone at every level of the franchise.

You are allowed to have 50 players under contract and own the rights to a certain amount of players not under contract (Not sure the exact amount)

But ya Lombardi makes the reserve list seem like the prospect list, I don't know why he doesn't just come out and say that, who knows

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 04:29 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The reserve list Lombardi has in mind is broken down in age brackets that, for example, breaking down the reserve in groups of 18-22 year olds, 23-27 year olds, 28-31 year olds and so on. The Kings have had a weak reserve of players in some of those brackets, which is Lombardi's top priority to address, and he's done an amendable job at that.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 03:12 PM
King Blazer

Improving the Reserves List means that when Kopitar is injured, Shay Stephenson isn't the guy coming up to L.A.

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 03:16 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Improving the Reserves List means that when Kopitar is injured, Shay Stephenson isn't the guy coming up to L.A.
You want us to take Tukonen back? Huh? Is that what you want?

Old
03-01-2007, 03:35 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
You want us to take Tukonen back? Huh? Is that what you want?
Honestly, it makes little difference to me who the Kings recall. It's not like he won't be sent back to Mancehster for the playoffs...

FWIW, Tukonen has 3 more goals than Stephenson and has played in 5 more games. Stephenson spent the first month or so of the season as a defenseman...

Last edited by King Blazer: 03-01-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old
03-01-2007, 03:44 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Honestly, it makes little difference to me who the Kings recall. It's not like he won't be sent back to Mancehster for the playoffs...

FWIW, Tukonen has 3 more goals than Stephenson in 5 more games played this season and Stephenson spent the first month or so of the season as a defenseman...
That's a little unsettling. However, in what limited ice time he got in his only NHL game this year, Tukonen impressed me with his hockey smarts; there were several occasions where he separated the opposition from the puck with solid positioning. He also seemed to get more involved in the play than your typical skilled rookie call-up.

Old
03-01-2007, 04:06 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
That's a little unsettling. However, in what limited ice time he got in his only NHL game this year, Tukonen impressed me with his hockey smarts; there were several occasions where he separated the opposition from the puck with solid positioning. He also seemed to get more involved in the play than your typical skilled rookie call-up.
Tukonen is 3-yrs younger than Stephenson, I definately take that into account.