HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OKC Barons 2013/14

Old
04-07-2014, 09:55 PM
topchowda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaDeteta View Post
I'm biased, but I think an AHL in Saskatoon would do great.
I think it could too. Capacity for 15,000, city itself is nice, closeish to the States and other AHL teams. I would assume a passionate fan base (if they are anything like Rider fans)

topchowda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 11:06 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaDeteta View Post
I'm biased, but I think an AHL in Saskatoon would do great.
I think having teams in Saskatoon, Ft. Mac and Abbotsford would take a big load off the Western Canadian teams as far as calling their prospects up.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 01:03 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
So, how are the newbies looking? Joneses, Khaira, Chase, Winquist, that defenseman, etc...
http://lowetide.ca/blog/2014/04/the-...eneration.html

OESTERLE

Quote:
Oesterle was paired with David Musil (and that Musil typically gets the new hires, encouraging in and of itself). He told me Oesterle looks well ahead of the curve, and this his foot speed and stickhandling are good, but he’ll need to work on decision making and knock off some rust. As with all kids moving to pro, strength and winning battles is going to be an issue. In two games, he has no points and is -1.
CHASE

Quote:
Greg Chase as a pesky, big bodied forward. “To use a basketball analogy, if there was a screen he’d drive right through the pick” Neal told me, and that’s an excellent description of the player I’ve seen play for Calgary.
KHAIRA

Quote:
“I see him as a Hartikainen 2.0. If you were concerned about Hartikainen’s foot speed, Khaira has no problems. He’s a quick skater, he’s very fast and good on faceoffs.” Livingston also talked about his ability on the PP to stand in front of the net and shield the net. “A really good centerman” as Neal describes Khaira. He suggested Khaira might be a good 2C option next season in Oklahoma City.

Old
04-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Baronsfan

Quote:
So, how are the newbies looking? Joneses, Khaira, Chase, Winquist, that defenseman, etc...
We have yet to see Winquist, or the big P.A. Raider D man Graeme Craig. Hope Winquist sees some time in Abby.

Khaira has looked pretty good. He is extremely responsible defensively from the small sample size seen so far, and he really uses his body well and is not afraid to engage physically. He threw his body around real well against Charlotte both games this weekend, and was the man in front doing the dirty work on the second pp unit. His first game he saw some pk time, but didn't notice him out there any the next two. He's been as advertised, and has had some chances to get on the board but hasn't had the bounce. He will make an easy transition to the pro game IMO. I don' expect him to score at any excellent clip, but he won't be a black hole offensively either.

Chase is one I was really impressed with. Guy seemed to be rather pesky, and really caused havoc on the forecheck. Wasn't surprised to hear that he gets under the skin frequently. He had a lot of chances in his first game, and did a good job creating a few more for his linemates after forcing some turnovers. He is a guy I fully expect to take the AHL by storm not next season but the one following. His goal he scored to knot it up late in the 3rd on Wednesday was a real quick release, on rather suspect defending, but a quick release on the wrister top shelf nonetheless. I expect him to play a big role on the AHL club whenever he is elgible. He's very talented and looks to be a steal for where he was drafted at, but I hope the mumblings of his questionable attitude aren't true. Seems like a hard worker though so maybe it's all just hearsay.

The Joneses play a real similar game. They are both tenacious and relentless on the forecheck, and while they are not overly physical they aren't shy of engaging. They don't always throw their weight around, but they hound the puck carrier and forced some takeaways that way. You could tell they had to adjust a little to the physicality of the game a little bit, but after they settled in I thought they acclimated themselves nicely. They play a simple game and don't try getting cute but just try outworking, and I'm a fan of that. Kellen Jones seems to me very Liam Reddox-esque to me. Both should be decent bottom 6 guys in OKC next season.

Holmberg played on Sunday afternoon, and he didn't look bad. He picked up an assist on Fedun's pp goal, but wasn't very instrumental in the play. You could tell he is extremely skilled and flashy, but couple times tried to be a little too cute. I was expecting a 60 goal scorer to be a little more trigger happy, but he passed up a lot of opportunities I thought he should have let 'er rip and elected pass first. Came down on a 2 on 1 and attempted a spin-o-rama backhand pass that almost connected but got tipped by the D man, that was an instance where I was hoping he would of fired it on net as he had ample amount of time to pick his place. He plays a pretty passive game compared to the others as far as away from the puck, but you can tell that he has good puck skills and is talented on the offensive side of the puck.

Not much to say about Osterle. Good skater who seemed pretty quick, and had a few nice outlet passes, but also didn't seem very composed in the corners when the other team was bearing down on him. Couple times he looked like he was handling a hand grenade because he knew the hit was coming, but I expect him to improve on that once he gets more games under his belt.

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 09:34 AM
PumpkinBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronsfan View Post
We have yet to see Winquist, or the big P.A. Raider D man Graeme Craig. Hope Winquist sees some time in Abby.

Khaira has looked pretty good. He is extremely responsible defensively from the small sample size seen so far, and he really uses his body well and is not afraid to engage physically. He threw his body around real well against Charlotte both games this weekend, and was the man in front doing the dirty work on the second pp unit. His first game he saw some pk time, but didn't notice him out there any the next two. He's been as advertised, and has had some chances to get on the board but hasn't had the bounce. He will make an easy transition to the pro game IMO. I don' expect him to score at any excellent clip, but he won't be a black hole offensively either.

Chase is one I was really impressed with. Guy seemed to be rather pesky, and really caused havoc on the forecheck. Wasn't surprised to hear that he gets under the skin frequently. He had a lot of chances in his first game, and did a good job creating a few more for his linemates after forcing some turnovers. He is a guy I fully expect to take the AHL by storm not next season but the one following. His goal he scored to knot it up late in the 3rd on Wednesday was a real quick release, on rather suspect defending, but a quick release on the wrister top shelf nonetheless. I expect him to play a big role on the AHL club whenever he is elgible. He's very talented and looks to be a steal for where he was drafted at, but I hope the mumblings of his questionable attitude aren't true. Seems like a hard worker though so maybe it's all just hearsay.

The Joneses play a real similar game. They are both tenacious and relentless on the forecheck, and while they are not overly physical they aren't shy of engaging. They don't always throw their weight around, but they hound the puck carrier and forced some takeaways that way. You could tell they had to adjust a little to the physicality of the game a little bit, but after they settled in I thought they acclimated themselves nicely. They play a simple game and don't try getting cute but just try outworking, and I'm a fan of that. Kellen Jones seems to me very Liam Reddox-esque to me. Both should be decent bottom 6 guys in OKC next season.

Holmberg played on Sunday afternoon, and he didn't look bad. He picked up an assist on Fedun's pp goal, but wasn't very instrumental in the play. You could tell he is extremely skilled and flashy, but couple times tried to be a little too cute. I was expecting a 60 goal scorer to be a little more trigger happy, but he passed up a lot of opportunities I thought he should have let 'er rip and elected pass first. Came down on a 2 on 1 and attempted a spin-o-rama backhand pass that almost connected but got tipped by the D man, that was an instance where I was hoping he would of fired it on net as he had ample amount of time to pick his place. He plays a pretty passive game compared to the others as far as away from the puck, but you can tell that he has good puck skills and is talented on the offensive side of the puck.

Not much to say about Osterle. Good skater who seemed pretty quick, and had a few nice outlet passes, but also didn't seem very composed in the corners when the other team was bearing down on him. Couple times he looked like he was handling a hand grenade because he knew the hit was coming, but I expect him to improve on that once he gets more games under his belt.

Chase has only played 3 WHL seasons and is a '95 so i it's NHL or WHL for him next year. If he were born 1 day earlier he'd make the cut.

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
Chase has only played 3 WHL seasons and is a '95 so i it's NHL or WHL for him next year. If he were born 1 day earlier he'd make the cut.
Yes Coach Nelson mentioned that on the radio. That's why I said the year after next he will play a big role for the club. Should put up real big numbers in WHL next season

Old
04-08-2014, 05:53 PM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
Quote:

Awesome, thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Imagine if we still had Harski and he was paired up with Khaira. The puck would stay behind the opponents net for 14 minutes.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 09:21 PM
topchowda

Nurse to OKC likely.

Kinda pissed he didn't got for in the OHL playoffs. Hopefully he can contribute to OKCs playoff run.

Success in an AHL playoff run for Nurse would be wonderful.

OKC can also add Simpson in the next week, and Roys team likely to be eliminated soon, not sure if hell get an ATO

Old
04-08-2014, 09:23 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

Quote:
Awesome, thanks man.

Imagine if we still had Harski and he was paired up with Khaira. The puck would stay behind the opponents net for 14 minutes.
We needed Mark Fraser.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 02:37 AM
Ragss

I'll be very happy if Nurse gets some AHL games this season.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 06:09 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Nurse to OKC likely.

Kinda pissed he didn't got for in the OHL playoffs. Hopefully he can contribute to OKCs playoff run.

Success in an AHL playoff run for Nurse would be wonderful.

OKC can also add Simpson in the next week, and Roys team likely to be eliminated soon, not sure if hell get an ATO
Brilliant!

Although these are the times when the 4 seasons in junior really ****** me off... What is the ****** point of it you are allowed to join an AHL team after your season in juniors is over?...

I thought the idea behind it was the protection of young players...

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 08:33 AM
robbiezyg

vCash: 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
Brilliant!

Although these are the times when the 4 seasons in junior really ****** me off... What is the ****** point of it you are allowed to join an AHL team after your season in juniors is over?...

I thought the idea behind it was the protection of young players...
Its so that the CHL doesn't get depleted of talent

robbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 09:12 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Pretty much this. Fort Mac is growing, and has a hockey market (Barons are a big draw), the logistics is a nightmare, and the city itself is still not a draw. Even Edmonton, which is a big city, has troubles getting FA's due to climate. The logistics is also a nightmare too.

Atleast Saskatoon/Regina is still somewhat close to the States and you could bus to places. The cities are also fairly big, and I hear both cities are nice (minus the weather)

I would much rather play in OKC in front of 1000-2000 fans than in Fort Mac infront of 2500-3000
You know what is a logistical nightmare? Getting players in from OKC for callups. At least with Fort Mac you'll be able to call someone up and get them here on gamedays.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 12:25 PM
Tw0Shoes

If they're playing in Fort Mac, they'd be flying most places. I think that'd be more of a draw then riding the bus.

Tw0Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 02:46 PM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw0Shoes View Post
If they're playing in Fort Mac, they'd be flying most places. I think that'd be more of a draw then riding the bus.
The Barons fly everywhere except Austin, and San Antonio. The players I talked to said they actually prefer bussing, the Barons bus is brand new and probably the best in the league. So unless they fork up $ for a private jet for the team it wouldn't be that big of a draw if those few players I spoke to are in majority.

Old
04-09-2014, 04:32 PM
Tw0Shoes

Cool. Didn't know that.

Tw0Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 04:41 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
The Barons fly everywhere except Austin, and San Antonio. The players I talked to said they actually prefer bussing, the Barons bus is brand new and probably the best in the league. So unless they fork up $ for a private jet for the team it wouldn't be that big of a draw if those few players I spoke to are in majority.
You know what the big draw is? The Oilers paying guys big bucks to play in the AHL. We've historically went out and spent money on key AHL vets.

Do any of the guys really care where they are going to play anyway? Isn't the goal to be up in the NHL and play for a club that will give them the best shot while be compensated the best?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
You know what the big draw is? The Oilers paying guys big bucks to play in the AHL. We've historically went out and spent money on key AHL vets.

Do any of the guys really care where they are going to play anyway? Isn't the goal to be up in the NHL and play for a club that will give them the best shot while be compensated the best?
You're asking the wrong person, I don't play so I can't comment yes or no. I was just commenting on the poster who said the bigger draw is to fly instead of bus just because I heard from the horses mouth that a few would rather bus due to more comfort and luxury.

I'm sure if a player is in the minors or not he would still prefer to play in a city that has nice weather, , more to do and better place for a family to live than a place that is in a more rural area, even if they are there for temporary or short term.

Old
04-09-2014, 07:48 PM
Hugo Stiglitz

vCash: 1439
Posted in the prospects thread already,Nurse to OKC.

Hugo Stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 09:03 PM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

vCash: 116
The Barons, with Darnell Nurse, will be playing live on Sportsnet 360 this Sunday at 4:00 ET.

Great chance to see some of the new kids, and maybe even Darnell.

Mozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 12:21 PM
bewbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Do any of the guys really care where they are going to play anyway?
I think you can say without a lot of qualification that most human beings care about where they live.

bewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 03:33 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post
The Barons, with Darnell Nurse, will be playing live on Sportsnet 360 this Sunday at 4:00 ET.

Great chance to see some of the new kids, and maybe even Darnell.
I hope so. I'm sure he's itching to play more hockey.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 04:56 AM
VayaConDios

Hunt named to 2nd AHL allstar team, good season for him!

VayaConDios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 10:14 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

I was hoping to get out to Abbotsford to watch the Barons play the Heat tonight but don't think I'm going to be able to

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 04:05 PM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

vCash: 116
Nurse will play top pairing with Fedun tonight... First line minutes.

Mozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote