HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Mission Inhaler Helmet - Fit?

Old
04-05-2014, 06:31 PM
ki11joy

vCash: 500
Mission Inhaler Helmet - Fit?

I'm an inline player and I've only ever used two helmets: A CCM Tacks 452 from 2005, and a CCM Vector V08 from 2010. It's time for a new lid and the Mission Inhaler caught my eye. Only problem? None of the 12 local hockey shops/pro shops around me carry the Inhaler, so I can't try it on in-person to make sure it actually fits my head. My only option is to order it online blind.

My head is about 22.5 inches and 57.2 cm circumference. Looking online, it seems that a "small" in the CCM V08 fits a little bigger than a "small" Mission. The CCM is 20.8 - 23" (53 - 58.5 cm), while the Mission is 20.8" - 22.4" (53 - 57 cm). The "medium" Mission is 22" - 23.6" (56 - 60 cm). I've read that the closest comparison to a Mission Inhaler is the Bauer 5100, but even then it fits a little differently.

I just checked the side adjustment tabs on the V08 and I'm right in the middle on both sides; there are 6 "teeth" and the adjustment prongs are right at teeth 3 and 4. I haven't tried on any other brands so I can't make comparisons on fit. As you can see, I'm right on the borderline between a "small" and "medium" in the Mission and I may be stuck having to get both a small and medium and shipping one back. The one saving grace may be that my CCM is only adjusted to the middle on both sides, so I could conceivably use a small Mission. But again, that's only the front-to-back and says nothing about the side-to-side width.

I'd like to give this helmet a try, but not being able to wear it in-person means I'm going in blind. If anyone has any experience with the Mission Inhaler and with fitting helmets, I would really appreciate any and all advice.

ki11joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Rookie109

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki11joy View Post
I'm an inline player and I've only ever used two helmets: A CCM Tacks 452 from 2005, and a CCM Vector V08 from 2010. It's time for a new lid and the Mission Inhaler caught my eye. Only problem? None of the 12 local hockey shops/pro shops around me carry the Inhaler, so I can't try it on in-person to make sure it actually fits my head. My only option is to order it online blind.

My head is about 22.5 inches and 57.2 cm circumference. Looking online, it seems that a "small" in the CCM V08 fits a little bigger than a "small" Mission. The CCM is 20.8 - 23" (53 - 58.5 cm), while the Mission is 20.8" - 22.4" (53 - 57 cm). The "medium" Mission is 22" - 23.6" (56 - 60 cm). I've read that the closest comparison to a Mission Inhaler is the Bauer 5100, but even then it fits a little differently.

I just checked the side adjustment tabs on the V08 and I'm right in the middle on both sides; there are 6 "teeth" and the adjustment prongs are right at teeth 3 and 4. I haven't tried on any other brands so I can't make comparisons on fit. As you can see, I'm right on the borderline between a "small" and "medium" in the Mission and I may be stuck having to get both a small and medium and shipping one back. The one saving grace may be that my CCM is only adjusted to the middle on both sides, so I could conceivably use a small Mission. But again, that's only the front-to-back and says nothing about the side-to-side width.

I'd like to give this helmet a try, but not being able to wear it in-person means I'm going in blind. If anyone has any experience with the Mission Inhaler and with fitting helmets, I would really appreciate any and all advice.
I have the Mission inhaler helemt which I use for indoor sponge hockey, ice hockey, and summer ball hockey. By far I think this helmet should be used by the pros since it is so much cooler temperature wise than anything else I've tried and the sweatband keeps the visor dry all game.

Regarding size, I had a large Reebok 5K helmet before and I'm still using a large Mission inhaler now. The sizes will be very close more or less. I tried the Bauer 5100 helmet for a sizing guide. In your case I'd go a with medium since you can put it on it's tightest position rather than be stuck in a helmet that's uncomfortably too tight. Plus, if you're like me and you skate outdoor with a helmet in the winter, you'll have room for a touque.

Once you feel all the additional airflow in the Mission Inhaler, you'll never go back to a regular hockey helmet ever again

Rookie109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 04:00 PM
ki11joy

Thanks for the advice. I talked it over with a friend and he suggested a Small since my CCM isn't extended all the way, and the side-to-side width might be too much in a Medium with my smaller head size. I'll mull it over and order one soon.

Thanks again for replying. I see you're located in Winnipeg? Did any hockey shops around you stock the Inhaler? It's marketed more towards roller, but even the shops at the inline rinks around me didn't have it.

Old
04-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What a weird name.

It looks a lot like the old Intake. I loved that helmet.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 10:21 PM
ki11joy

Definitely looks a lot like the Intake (which I still think is one of the coolest helmets ever made, aesthetically), but from what I've read the fit isn't exactly the same. It's probably closer to a Bauer fit more than anything. I agree it's not the best name, but it fits in with the current Mission lineup of Inhaler skates and gloves, so at least it's consistent branding.

Old
04-07-2014, 11:13 PM
AIREAYE

'Bauer fit' means nothing. Each and every single one of Bauer's helmets fit differently from each other.

The only comparison that I've heard of is with the 5100. I wear a 5100 and I've seen the Inhaler and it's hard for me to see how the two would fit similar.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 02:45 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I use the Inhaler for ice hockey. I don't care what the brand is or that it has the roller hockey stigma attached, it's light, it breathes well, the sweat hog thing keeps sweat out of my face and the protection inside is supposed to be good. If you have the cash order 2 sizes since you're not sure and send one back. Might cost you shipping but at least you'd be getting what you want the first try.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 02:57 PM
Rookie109

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I talked it over with a friend and he suggested a Small since my CCM isn't extended all the way, and the side-to-side width might be too much in a Medium with my smaller head size. I'll mull it over and order one soon.

Thanks again for replying. I see you're located in Winnipeg? Did any hockey shops around you stock the Inhaler? It's marketed more towards roller, but even the shops at the inline rinks around me didn't have it.
I guess go with what fits you best.

No places in my area had this helmet, I ordered it at the one place I could find it available for sale in Canada.
http://www.thehockeyshop.com/mission...ey-helmet.html

I ordered just over $150 in total with a practice jersey and some tape so I would get free shipping to Manitoba.

It's fully CSA and HECC certified so it's just as awesome for ice hockey as well. Trust me, once you get this helmet and feel all the airflow plus the sweatband doing its job, you'll never go back.

Old
04-11-2014, 07:43 PM
ki11joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie109 View Post
I guess go with what fits you best.

No places in my area had this helmet, I ordered it at the one place I could find it available for sale in Canada.
http://www.thehockeyshop.com/mission...ey-helmet.html

I ordered just over $150 in total with a practice jersey and some tape so I would get free shipping to Manitoba.

It's fully CSA and HECC certified so it's just as awesome for ice hockey as well. Trust me, once you get this helmet and feel all the airflow plus the sweatband doing its job, you'll never go back.
Just got the helmet in today and it seems to fit well enough. I'm going to wear it around for a bit just to break it in. I'll probably have to adjust it later on, but the one clamp on the back is pretty convenient compared to the two on the CCM V08. My only concern with the fit is the side-to-side width, which might be a hair too tight; the top of my left ear is pushing up against the ear protector. Strangely, my right ear is just fine and has plenty of room.

The cage is really nice; it's the Bauer 9900 so it's got the thinner bars, most notably with the bar going across my eyes. I had no problem with the thicker, gray bars on my CCM cage, but the thinner, silver bars on the Bauer are appreciated. Glad to see the 9900 being used despite the Mission Inhaler being based off the Bauer 5100.

The V08 was plenty cool when I played a year of ice hockey, but would heat up at some inline rinks. I'm hoping the larger holes in this lid will help with that. However it seems like the rear part doesn't go down the back of my head as far as the CCM. I'll have to compare them later. EDIT: Never mind, the rear of the helmet covers just as much of my head as the CCM.

About the sweat-band: If I take it off to wash it, can I re-attach it easily? I haven't pulled it off, but it looks like it's glued to the foam and not attached with velcro like I thought it would be.

Can't wait to use this for my inline men's league next week.

Last edited by ki11joy: 04-11-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old
04-13-2014, 05:38 PM
Rookie109

Quote:
Just got the helmet in today and it seems to fit well enough. I'm going to wear it around for a bit just to break it in. I'll probably have to adjust it later on, but the one clamp on the back is pretty convenient compared to the two on the CCM V08. My only concern with the fit is the side-to-side width, which might be a hair too tight; the top of my left ear is pushing up against the ear protector. Strangely, my right ear is just fine and has plenty of room.

The cage is really nice; it's the Bauer 9900 so it's got the thinner bars, most notably with the bar going across my eyes. I had no problem with the thicker, gray bars on my CCM cage, but the thinner, silver bars on the Bauer are appreciated. Glad to see the 9900 being used despite the Mission Inhaler being based off the Bauer 5100.

The V08 was plenty cool when I played a year of ice hockey, but would heat up at some inline rinks. I'm hoping the larger holes in this lid will help with that. However it seems like the rear part doesn't go down the back of my head as far as the CCM. I'll have to compare them later. EDIT: Never mind, the rear of the helmet covers just as much of my head as the CCM.

About the sweat-band: If I take it off to wash it, can I re-attach it easily? I haven't pulled it off, but it looks like it's glued to the foam and not attached with velcro like I thought it would be.

Can't wait to use this for my inline men's league next week.
That's weird that one of your ears is touching the ear guards but not the other? My helmet fits me perfectly.

I only ordered my helmet without a cage, I installed a half visor on it instead from the U.S. and even got a significant discount.
http://shop.hockeyfaceshields.com/Pr...RO-X-Visor.htm

I had a Reebok 5K helmet with a Bauer Wave half visor before, it was great for outdoor play but indoor I got very hot. I returned the visor since it was over $120 and got the Boulder visor for about $45. I ended up selling the Reebok 5K helmet for $40 which wasn't bad since I used it for two seasons after getting it for $50 on sale. I also noticed the Mission Inhaler didn't come down as far as my Reebok helmet, but it wasn't much of a difference. I don't mind that considering how much cooler the Inhaler is.

The sweatband should come out easily enough after a few times, just take it out by pulling the tab under the sweatband part. Tug it gently by the foam part, overtime if you ruin it I think it would be easy to re-glue it or you can order replacements online for relatively cheap.

I played last night and it was just as cool as always, I also got a haircut so maybe having shorter hair helps as well.

Good luck with the new gear.

Old
04-14-2014, 02:33 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
The sweat band is attached by 2 foam plugs that pop out. Throw it in the wash machine and pop it back in.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote