HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Would you pay the 5.5 million?

View Poll Results: Would you pay the $5.5 million for 5 years for Smyth?
Yes 27 24.77%
No 82 75.23%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Master Lok

vCash: 500
Would you pay the 5.5 million?

ok so we know the numbers now. 5 year deal. No Trade Clause. $5.5 million.

Very simply, would you pay $5.5 million for 5 more years with a NTC to keep Ryan Smyth?

As much as I support Lowe, this is one of the few times that I disagree with him. I would. loyalty to a player who has huge work ethic and a reputation for battling, and loyalty to the fans who respect that blue collar attitude - is the swing for me.

Is it smart? Probably not.

But there's nobody available in the summer (UFA) who impresses me more than Smyth and who's likely to come to Edmonton. Where else are you going to spend the money?

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Tyrolean

It would be conditional depending on how much money I have left for the rest of my players and for getting FA's. If 5.5 is too much, I would not do it.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:29 PM
AM

It pay it next

year ... and it would still be a deal the year after.

But who knows about the next three years after that.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:30 PM
LawnDemon

Good poll. My answer is: no.

I want the Oilers to win and, in my humble opinion, even 5.4 is too much for Smyth. You can't spend that kind of money on a guy like him. "Character" isn't worth a million a year... especially when you have plenty of it in the room already (Staios, Moreau, Horcoff, Smith). Don't get me wrong... I really, honestly like Smyth. I really wanted him to be an Oiler for life. However, if he wanted that then 4.8-5 would have been a fair price that would leave room for the team to improve and win.

Smyth was being greedy and Lowe did exactly what I would have done. To be fair, Smyth did exactly what I would have done in his shoes too.

You really can't blame either of them.

LawnDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:30 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I see us paying Smyth up to 6M to resign him after a big playoffs. We also make a trade around Horc and Smith for Pitkanen, leaving us with a solid vet core of Smyth, Staios, Moreau, and Roli. And then we also have all our holes filled after our prospects mature a bit more.

We can afford Smyth at 6M if we go young everywhere else outside of the vet core.

And no he isn't worth 6M on ice. But he is worth 6M to the organization, with all he means to us. We just need to shuffle the money around a bit so we can afford the overpayment. If other teams are willing to pay guys like Smyth 6M, we have to be willing as well, or we will keep losing Smyth level players.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:32 PM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
It would be conditional depending on how much money I have left for the rest of my players and for getting FA's. If 5.5 is too much, I would not do it.
That's the problem, though, isn't it? Lowe didn't have the opportunity for it to be conditional as you describe. He had to make the decision by the trade deadline, with a lot of future unknowns in play...

rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:41 PM
BeingAndNothingnes

rec28: I thought the same thing when I read that, was that not the purpose of this thread?

No. It's a bad move. It's just not good business to sign a longterm contract, debatebly an overpayment (particularly in respect to the last two years), with a no trade clause. What that contract actually is equivilent to is Ryan Smyth requesting win-win-win with no concessions; maximum value and long-term security with no escape clause.

Congratulations Kevin Lowe for making the right call.

BeingAndNothingnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Cerebral

Most definitely not.

03-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Red Eyes

Thats the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I see us paying Smyth up to 6M to resign him after a big playoffs. We also make a trade around Horc and Smith for Pitkanen, leaving us with a solid vet core of Smyth, Staios, Moreau, and Roli. And then we also have all our holes filled after our prospects mature a bit more.

We can afford Smyth at 6M if we go young everywhere else outside of the vet core.

And no he isn't worth 6M on ice. But he is worth 6M to the organization, with all he means to us. We just need to shuffle the money around a bit so we can afford the overpayment. If other teams are willing to pay guys like Smyth 6M, we have to be willing as well, or we will keep losing Smyth level players.
That would be grand if we had a good rookie corp ready to step in..but without a farm team our younger players have been delayed in development, especially our goal tending. Really hope we have a farm team to put all these young players we have.....I really do.

Red Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 01:02 PM
vbet*

No, he might have been Mr Oiler but he is no Mr Superstar. If he feels he made some bad contracts in the past then he should be upset at his agent.

Keep the cash, forget about signing him for next year and get a D-Man. Lets move on.

vbet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 01:06 PM
oilflash

I think if this poll included age and who are season ticket holders or ticket pack purchasers it would be interesting. I was at the last game and didn't even feel bad leaving early, I bought nothing while there and didn't see many people having a good time. I never even turned on the radio to listen to the end of the game.

I can't for the life of me see how I will renew because the friends I go with think 28% increase over two years is just too dear an amount to pay. When our #94 jerseys make us feel just a little too classic maybe its time to expand our horizons. For a girls night out to be fun, we need to feel included. That is what Ryan Smyth brought to our entertainment dollar table.

oilflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon View Post
Good poll. My answer is: no.

I want the Oilers to win and, in my humble opinion, even 5.4 is too much for Smyth. You can't spend that kind of money on a guy like him. "Character" isn't worth a million a year... especially when you have plenty of it in the room already (Staios, Moreau, Horcoff, Smith). Don't get me wrong... I really, honestly like Smyth. I really wanted him to be an Oiler for life. However, if he wanted that then 4.8-5 would have been a fair price that would leave room for the team to improve and win.

Smyth was being greedy and Lowe did exactly what I would have done. To be fair, Smyth did exactly what I would have done in his shoes too.

You really can't blame either of them.
Bingo...kinda

I think Smyth should know how much he's worth, 5.4......man thats alot fo fork out, and it is been said that either we gave him a NTC or he wanted a NTC aswell.....thats way too much, i love him, i really do, but 5.4 its expensive, i dont think you can blame anyone, EIG, Lowe or Smyth, it had to happen. I wander what influence Meehan had on Smyth though, i mean Smyth is an Oiler for life, and it seemed he kinda was shocked at what happened, so it gets me thinking...

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Eyes View Post
That would be grand if we had a good rookie corp ready to step in..but without a farm team our younger players have been delayed in development, especially our goal tending. Really hope we have a farm team to put all these young players we have.....I really do.
Goaltending aside - what evidence do you have that not having a farm team has delayed the development of our prospects?

Greene, Zach Stortini, Pouliot and Roy have all stepped up nicely. Gilbert and Syvret doesn't appear to have suffered either.

And JDD is turning it around as a goaltender with a strong season this year. I believe that NOT having an affiliate has forced our prospects to perform better because nothing is guaranteed.

Old
03-01-2007, 01:57 PM
JonQuixote

5.4 Max.

I'd pay 5.5 for Ryan Smyth, with the caveat that we have a salary budget that approximates the cap. Because this team isn't going anywhere without spending some cash on the blueline. Smyth was very important to this team, its style of play, its image.

However, if the reports are true, and I'm Lowe, offering 5.4 million and a no-trade (contrary to team policy), and that's more than statistically comparable and younger players like Doan, Gagne, Tanguay got, and they're not budging on that little bit... is this a player that really wants to play here because he feels that Edmonton is where his heart is and he wants to raise a Cup in Copper and Blue, or is this a player that really wants to play here because he knows his stature on the team and in the community gives him financial leverage? The hundred thousand may indicate something more than a hundred thousand.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 04:15 PM
camboy

5.5 - 5.5 - 5.0 - 4.0 - 3.0 & not a penny more. Ryan we love you, we appreciate you, but we like our team more. Good luck in the rest of your career.

Signed
KLowe

...and for comparision sake, I would like to pull Trevor Linden's name into this discussion. Trevor is 36 years old, was once the face of the franchise and makes a salary based on his current contribution to the team. Could you imagine how cash strapped the Canucks would be if they were paying him 5 million or more this year because of a big money long term contract? They would not have a guy like Roberto Luongo in the pipes...I can tell you that much. I thank Lowe for realizing this and not giving in to Meehan/Smyth's demands.

camboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 04:31 PM
BigOil

[QUOTE=camboy;8320262]5.5 - 5.5 - 5.0 - 4.0 - 3.0 & not a penny more. Ryan we love you, we appreciate you, but we like our team more. Good luck in the rest of your career.

I agree completely. I have no problem with overpaying (and 5.5 million is overpaying) for the next couple of years, but not over the entire length of a five year contract. With the style Smyth plays the likelihood of injury increases significantly over the next five years. Smyth is one of my all-time favorite Oilers and it kills me to see him go, but I don't think that the Oilers can afford to keep him long term at that price. Linden is a good illustration of what can happen to a similar player's productivity at 36 years old.

BigOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOil View Post

I agree completely. I have no problem with overpaying (and 5.5 million is overpaying) for the next couple of years, but not over the entire length of a five year contract. With the style Smyth plays the likelihood of injury increases significantly over the next five years. Smyth is one of my all-time favorite Oilers and it kills me to see him go, but I don't think that the Oilers can afford to keep him long term at that price. Linden is a good illustration of what can happen to a similar player's productivity at 36 years old.
Welcome to the board BigOil!

Old
03-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Lessy

My answer is no. After digesting everything that's happened over the past few days I'm getting more and more content with this trade though, at first I was not a fan. This gives Lowe so many options and I hope he uses those options effectively (do not resign Sykora for a penny more than 2.2 million for example). He has assets and capspace to deal with and this summer should be good. There's also the potential of resigning Smytty and getting 3 good young assets for 20 games of Smyth. For now, I'm happy with the trade but the summer will tell the story of whether Lowe was wise to make this move or not. Smyth CAN get 6 million on the free agent market I have no doubt in my mind. We can't afford to pay him much more than 5 and, in all honesty he isn't a 5.5 million dollar player despite meaning so much to our franchise.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Bergeron47

No. 2 years at 5.5, maybe

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 08:13 PM
USC Trojans
AD

you know what? I think this is the initial reaction from fans, since he has always been a part of the team. Of course we'd like to keep him even if it means overpaying because I guess people don't like change, and losing Smytty is a big change to the team.

Come summer, when we have a few months to digest this, I think the whole "missing Ryan" thing and overpaying to keep him mentality will subside. Just my two cents.

USC Trojans is offline   Reply With Quote