HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

More McKeen's on Petry

Old
03-01-2007, 09:59 AM
OilNAmerica

vCash: 500
More McKeen's on Petry

Jeff Petry (Edm), D, Des Moines
Has blossomed this season and is much more assertive and aggressive in both ends.. will need to bulk up his lanky frame but he is more physical this season helping round out his defensive game.. is a great skater for a big man .. backward mobility is beyond compare at this level .. has an elegant, long, and powerful stride .. has nimble feet and first step quickness have improved vastly this season .. lateral mobility is special using it to close the gap on his man or open up shooting lanes on the point .. puck movement is one of his strong points .. makes a NHL-caliber first pass and can stretch the ice if the opportunity presents itself but will not force an error in favor for the safe play .. supports his defensive partner well and is vocal on the ice .. plays on the power play but lacks elite creativity to be a QB .. possesses quickly released slap and wristshots that are kept low and accurate .. velocity behind his shot has increased this season and is much more powerful .. solid defensively and plays an astute positional game in his own end .. angles his man to the outside effectively, has great gap control and uses his enormous reach to give his man nothing one-on-one .. impressive mobility gives him great range .... competes harder and is more effective defensively this season .. an alternate captain that has adequate leadership qualities .. a calming presence to teammates on and off the ice .. is ready to be a key contributor in the NCAA and well on the way to a fruitful NHL career.

OilNAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Sethis

Wow, that's a pretty flattering report there, glad to hear it.

Thanks for posting that.

(Keep it up Jeff!)

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:24 AM
OilerOlli*

Sounds good, but he becomes 20 this year. Should play in the NCAA already...

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:56 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilNAmerica View Post
Jeff Petry (Edm), D, Des Moines
Has blossomed this season and is much more assertive and aggressive in both ends.. will need to bulk up his lanky frame but he is more physical this season helping round out his defensive game.. is a great skater for a big man .. backward mobility is beyond compare at this level .. has an elegant, long, and powerful stride .. has nimble feet and first step quickness have improved vastly this season .. lateral mobility is special using it to close the gap on his man or open up shooting lanes on the point .. puck movement is one of his strong points .. makes a NHL-caliber first pass and can stretch the ice if the opportunity presents itself but will not force an error in favor for the safe play .. supports his defensive partner well and is vocal on the ice .. plays on the power play but lacks elite creativity to be a QB .. possesses quickly released slap and wristshots that are kept low and accurate .. velocity behind his shot has increased this season and is much more powerful .. solid defensively and plays an astute positional game in his own end .. angles his man to the outside effectively, has great gap control and uses his enormous reach to give his man nothing one-on-one .. impressive mobility gives him great range .... competes harder and is more effective defensively this season .. an alternate captain that has adequate leadership qualities .. a calming presence to teammates on and off the ice .. is ready to be a key contributor in the NCAA and well on the way to a fruitful NHL career.

This part I witnessed in the all-star game. At this level he can actually catch up to players going backwards! I was shocked when I first saw it. Guy breaking down the side and he casually skates backwards to keep pace and keeps him to the outside the entire time. It looked almost impossible to beat him to the outside at this level. No panic at all.

And while he does have offensive potential, he is a make the safe play and don't force it guy first. We'll see what an NCAA coach can do for him. Low of raw talent in that frame.

Petry excites me quite a bit.

03-01-2007, 11:01 AM
OilNAmerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
Sounds good, but he becomes 20 this year. Should play in the NCAA already...
He just turned 19 2 months ago, but I suppose you're right. Obviously always one of the youngest players in his birth year. In the NCAA, the majority of players do take a year off between high school and the NCAA. So Petry's route is not different from most other NCAA players.

Old
03-01-2007, 11:14 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
He just turned 19 2 months ago, but I suppose you're right. Obviously always one of the youngest players in his birth year. In the NCAA, the majority of players do take a year off between high school and the NCAA. So Petry's route is not different from most other NCAA players.
just another reason why im generally against drafting NCAA prospects... they come out of college at 22 or 23, and then they still need a year in the AHL.... whereas a junior player will have 2 or 3 seasons in the AHL by the time he is 22 or 23, and will likely have a handful of NHL games played as well (if not a full season).... look at gilbert for a perfect example.... gilbert just turned 24 this january and he will just be finishing his 1st yera in the AHL and will have a few NHL games experience by next year.... so starting next year he will likely see some more NHL games, next season will likely be referred to his "rookie year" in the NHL (whether he plays the required number of games or not).... we will have exactly 3 years of gilbert in the NHL and 1 year in the AHL before he is a UFA at 27, one of those NHL years being his rookie season.... compare that to a junior player that will have 7 years pro experience before he is a UFA

the numbers dont lie.... drafting NCAA players (especially defenceman) simply isnt very smart

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

He sounds like what people thought of Jay Bowmeester at a similar age. I'm really excited to see this kid.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 01:09 PM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post

the numbers dont lie.... drafting NCAA players (especially defenceman) simply isnt very smart
Alot of solid defenceman have come out of college.

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 01:12 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:

??? EJ and JJ top end? Greene, Chorney, and Gilbert just for us? I think the NCAA is pumping out the best D in the world right now. They are far more NHL ready then guys coming out of the CHL.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Oilerdiehard

That is some serious praise. I was already pulling for this kid but now I am getting a little excited. I get a lot of college hockey on tv so hopefully I get to see him play depending on where he goes.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 02:11 PM
OilerOlli*

How exactly is the system in college?
Why does Player always have to stay there 3 or 4 years?

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 02:36 PM
OilNAmerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
How exactly is the system in college?
Why does Player always have to stay there 3 or 4 years?
There are no rules prohibiting a player from leaving whenever he wants. Whenever the player feels he is ready for the next level, he is allowed to leave.

Old
03-01-2007, 02:37 PM
OilNAmerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
That is some serious praise. I was already pulling for this kid but now I am getting a little excited. I get a lot of college hockey on tv so hopefully I get to see him play depending on where he goes.
Petry is going to Michigan State University. They have a lot of games televised on Fox Sports Detroit and CSTV.

Old
03-01-2007, 02:42 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
I think, under the CBA, a team retains an NCAA player's rights for four years before they have to sign them to their first pro contract or lose exclusive rights. It's 2 years for junior and now for Europe (iirc).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

If I'm not, since these players tend to develop quite well in the NCAA, and can still leave their program at any time (the trick with NCAA players is that once they sign, they can't go back), NCAA players have a *lot* of value and it's often very smart to draft them ahead of an equally rated junior or european prospect.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 06:17 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
I think, under the CBA, a team retains an NCAA player's rights for four years before they have to sign them to their first pro contract or lose exclusive rights. It's 2 years for junior and now for Europe (If I recall correctly).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

If I'm not, since these players tend to develop quite well in the NCAA, and can still leave their program at any time (the trick with NCAA players is that once they sign, they can't go back), NCAA players have a *lot* of value and it's often very smart to draft them ahead of an equally rated junior or european prospect.
yeah i believe your right about the 4 year versus 2 year thing.... but the problem is that NCAA players are 2-3 years behind in their pro-development comapared to junior players .... and thats a big deal.... the NCAA is much superior to major junior simply based on the age factor alone, but its nowhere NEAR the AHL.... so personally, id take 3 years of junior + 2/3 years of AHL over 3/4 years of NCAA + 1/2 years of AHL anyday

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 07:02 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
yeah i believe your right about the 4 year versus 2 year thing.... but the problem is that NCAA players are 2-3 years behind in their pro-development comapared to junior players .... and thats a big deal.... the NCAA is much superior to major junior simply based on the age factor alone, but its nowhere NEAR the AHL.... so personally, id take 3 years of junior + 2/3 years of AHL over 3/4 years of NCAA + 1/2 years of AHL anyday
Yeah, but NCAA players can leave to play in the AHL if they want. They're not stuck there. Jack Johnson could have been in the NHL this year.

The only trick is that once they sign a contract (or even come to training camp?) they can't go back to their college team, the way an junior can go back to his junior team.

But they're not stuck - so the thing you're concerned about, if it's something legitimate to be concerned about, the team and the player retain the option to avoid it.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Petry is going to Michigan State University. They have a lot of games televised on Fox Sports Detroit and CSTV.
Nice. I get that station and especially this 2nd half of the season have gotten a ton of Michigan and Michigan State etc... games.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:20 PM
kurri_17

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
??? EJ and JJ top end? Greene, Chorney, and Gilbert just for us? I think the NCAA is pumping out the best D in the world right now. They are far more NHL ready then guys coming out of the CHL.
NCAA prospects look after themselves in that the Oilers don't need to find a home for them to develop - that's a big issue for the Oilers in the last few years. The Oilers do it for many reasons.

kurri_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:29 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurri_17 View Post
NCAA prospects look after themselves in that the Oilers don't need to find a home for them to develop - that's a big issue for the Oilers in the last few years. The Oilers do it for many reasons.
Yup, without our own AHL team, we are just using the NCAA as a free development league.

If this changes next season(ie. we get an AHL team) I hope to see more even distribution between leagues.

Teams that want to compete have their own AHL teams. That is where you groom your players. By not having an AHL team, the Oilers are showing they aren't serious about competing.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote