HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it Time to Call up Montoya?

View Poll Results: Should we bring Montoya up for a start or two
Bring Montoya up and see what he has 18 19.15%
Wait till less then 10 games are left and where we are 30 31.91%
not this year at all 32 34.04%
trade him for a 57 year old like Brad Park 14 14.89%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-25-2007, 10:00 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Montoya is not one of them. He can be in Hartford this year and next. Besides, would one really want to subject the kid to this defense?

On Henke, he certainly has not been the same exact version that he was last year. Last year, he was one of the very best in the league. A legit trophy candidate. Those type of years do not come along every single year. He seemingly could win games by him self every single night. He may have more years like it, but right now he is not. However, if last year's defense was considered mediocre, then this one can be characterized as a step below. This year, while still good and better than what many others have given even prior to his rookie year, he is not giving you the impression that he can singlehandely win every games. Although since the All-Star break, he has been much closer to his rookie form. However, the Rangers mediocre record cannot be pinned on him. He has still given the Rangers their best chance at winning a good amount of games. The problems of this team do not begin or come close to beginning with him.
I'm not sure I want to see any of the kids brought up from Hartford right now. That group has a goal right now of winning the Calder Cup, and they are developing something special in terms of chemistry. And, when there are reports of A.Ward being possibly exiled, due to a shouting match with Jagr, I'm not sure I want these kids introduced to that atmosphere. I might bring up an Immonen a placeholder after a Nylander gets dealt. And, MAYBE Callahan should get rewarded for his year. But, right now, the likes of Korpikoki, Byers, Dubinsky, Baranka and Montoya shouldn't be anywhere near the Rangers. Korpi looks like his taking his game to another level, and, heck, even Jessiman is supposedly showing signs of life. Let these gets get rewarded for achieving their goals, and then let next year's camp start the influx.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 10:58 AM
Sather Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Here's a stat for you Wins and loses whats Hanks look like?
Right now Lundqvist is 5 games over .500%, and Montoya is only 4 games over .500%, since win-loss record is the most important thing to you, why would you want to bring him up? Sorry to break the news to you but Lundqvist has been the best goalie in the NHL for about 2-3 months now, and if you think he is the team's problem there is something seriously wrong with you.

Wins and Losses mean very little because it's a team sport and he has no input on the offense. He could let up only one goal per game the entire season, but if they get shutout 82 games he'll wind up with an 0-82 record.

Let's say a goalie on the Oilers in the early 80's (for example), won every game 10-9 and finished the season with a 9.00 GAA and a .250 save percentage would he be a great goalie to you because of his win-loss record?

How many times has Lundqvist lost a 1-0 game or a 2-1 game this year?? I know he lost atleast 2 games 1-0 (while stopping approx. 29 out of 30 shots).

Sather Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
1-0 4-3 a loss is a loss. Rangers scored 2 goals last night and lost cause he gave up 3. How many games early did Hankie give up crap goals to lose?

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 01:35 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I'm not sure I want to see any of the kids brought up from Hartford right now. That group has a goal right now of winning the Calder Cup, and they are developing something special in terms of chemistry. And, when there are reports of A.Ward being possibly exiled, due to a shouting match with Jagr, I'm not sure I want these kids introduced to that atmosphere. I might bring up an Immonen a placeholder after a Nylander gets dealt. And, MAYBE Callahan should get rewarded for his year.
Cheers to all of this.

I could see having a brief look-see at Montoya at the end of the season, but only if the team is out of it. There's no reason the pressure of a playoff push (even an unrealistic one) should be added to the burden of playing behind a porous defense.

If the environment is indeed on its way down, that's just one more reason to keep the kid away.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 04:29 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
If the environment is indeed on its way down, that's just one more reason to keep the kid away.
Probably a discussion for a different threa, but I agree. Without Shanny's influence in the lockerroom, the environment seems to be deteriorating. He seems to have been both a blessing and a curse to Renney. A blessing becuase he is who he is and quickly became the spiritual leader of this team. And one who is probably viewed as the true captain by many NA players. However, I get the feeling that his presence also caused a divide in the lockerrrom, with the NA playes looking at him as the true leader. Meanwhile, the Euro vets still look to Jagr and, more or less, get protection from the coach becuase of that fact.

Ward is only an example. I have no idea of what he was yelling at Jagr about, but we can only guess. At this point, I am not even sure that if Shanny is not around and Jagr, Straka & Nylander are all back next year, that there will be any influx of Hartord players. But if they are, is a Jagr-led lockerroom and a Renney-coached team really a suitable atmosphere to bring the kids into? (I recognize that this is off topic regarding the thread, so I appologize for the hijacking).

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 06:51 PM
DutchShamrock

You guys are ridiculous. It's always easier to blame the goalie. If Lundqvist stayed on his feet of that Nash shot and Nash 5-holed him the discussion would be about how the butterfly style is the best and any real NHL goalie goes down to play the percentages. Nash picked the corner, put it top shelf, that is not the freakin goalie's fault.

You can't just say he should have done the opposite of what he did, if he changed his approach the player changes his response. It's just easier to blame the goalie cause it's one guy, you'd jump off a building if you had to accept the fact that this team packed their bags up after the 1st period.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Call up Montoya

I advocate this move for two reasons.

1. I dont think we will make the playoffs so we just might as well see what we got.

2. I would like to see Henrik Chokeqvist ride the bench for a while, how many 3rd period goals is this guy gonna give up? Granted they are not all his fault but he rarely makes the big saves in the 3rd period, yes his numbers in period 1 and 2 are good so people will argue that without those the 3rd period wouldn´t even matter, but you can flip the coin and say what good the periods 1-2 gonna do if he can never step it up in the 3rd.

Now giving not making the big saves is one thing, only the elite goaltenders makes does consistently in the 3rd (Henrik is NOT an elite goaltender), but to lack the IQ that he does, when making that insane blunder makes me want to buy him a ticket back to Sweden.
This guy is not a big game goaltender, yes he won the Olympic gold but he gave up softies in the semi and in the final of that tournament, he was terrible against New Jersey (dont want to hear about the injury excuse, spare me please) and tonight with our playoff hopes hanging in the balance he makes one of the biggest mistakes of the season. Then when he has a chance to redeem himself in the shootout he chokes again, got saved by the post on one occasion and let Crosby score his first shootout goal on another.

I dont see us winning the big games with this guy, and all the Lundqvist homers can say what they want, another positive of having this guy being traded is that we can take all the "Ranger" fans who only support the team because of Henrik with him.

In short, call up Montoya, see what we got, I dont think we got much to lose anyway.

Kluivert4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:03 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
I would let Montoya stay in Hartford and let him get the experience of playing under pressure while the Pack make a run in the playoffs, which I think they will.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post
I would let Montoya stay in Hartford and let him get the experience of playing under pressure while the Pack make a run in the playoffs, which I think they will.

I agree, but I am just eager to see what we got because I dont want to put this franchise in Lundqvists hands.

He is no Mike Richter, Montoya on the other hand.....

Old
03-01-2007, 09:06 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever View Post
I agree, but I am just eager to see what we got because I dont want to put this franchise in Lundqvists hands.

I would bring Montoya up next season to backup Lundqvist or start with him in a tandem.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:08 PM
ThirdEye

IT'S HIS SECOND ****ING YEAR. My god NY fans have just absolutely unmeetable expectations...

Did you people expect him to turn into Brodeur after a year? wow

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

montoya was meant to be our franchise goalie, when we drafted him... who knows what could happen.
i love lundqvist, but if things dont change with him who knows!

i love montoya too...itll be a tough day when one of them leave

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SPG

Quote:

Mike Richter's don't grow on trees unfortunately

This team's problems go much deeper than Henrik Lundqvist.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post
I would bring Montoya up next season to backup Lundqvist or start with him in a tandem.

If will get the starting job before mid-season, he is clearly the better goaltender.

Old
03-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
IT'S HIS SECOND ****ING YEAR. My god NY fans have just absolutely unmeetable expectations...

Did you people expect him to turn into Brodeur after a year? wow

No, but I do expect a goalie not to hand goals to the other team on a silver platter when we are in a tight playoff race.

Old
03-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Mike Richter's don't grow on trees unfortunately

This team's problems go much deeper than Henrik Lundqvist.

Oh, I agree, we got a lot of problems, but Lundqivst IS one of them.

Old
03-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
montoya was meant to be our franchise goalie, when we drafted him... who knows what could happen.
i love lundqvist, but if things dont change with him who knows!

i love montoya too...itll be a tough day when one of them leave

I wont cry a tear the day Lundqvist leaves thats for sure.

Old
03-01-2007, 09:11 PM
WheresBarnaby

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:12 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
I wont cry a tear the day Lundqvist leaves thats for sure.
Why don't you just pick another team right now. That way you don't have to worry about him starting tomorrow

Old
Chimp

Quote:
I advocate this move for two reasons.

1. I dont think we will make the playoffs so we just might as well see what we got.

2. I would like to see Henrik Chokeqvist ride the bench for a while, how many 3rd period goals is this guy gonna give up? Granted they are not all his fault but he rarely makes the big saves in the 3rd period, yes his numbers in period 1 and 2 are good so people will argue that without those the 3rd period wouldn´t even matter, but you can flip the coin and say what good the periods 1-2 gonna do if he can never step it up in the 3rd.

Now giving not making the big saves is one thing, only the elite goaltenders makes does consistently in the 3rd (Henrik is NOT an elite goaltender), but to lack the IQ that he does, when making that insane blunder makes me want to buy him a ticket back to Sweden.
This guy is not a big game goaltender, yes he won the Olympic gold but he gave up softies in the semi and in the final of that tournament, he was terrible against New Jersey (dont want to hear about the injury excuse, spare me please) and tonight with our playoff hopes hanging in the balance he makes one of the biggest mistakes of the season. Then when he has a chance to redeem himself in the shootout he chokes again, got saved by the post on one occasion and let Crosby score his first shootout goal on another.

I dont see us winning the big games with this guy, and all the Lundqvist homers can say what they want, another positive of having this guy being traded is that we can take all the "Ranger" fans who only support the team because of Henrik with him.

In short, call up Montoya, see what we got, I dont think we got much to lose anyway.
Can I officially call you a joke for various reasons?

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Thomas J.*

LEave Montoya where he is. Henrik will be fine. The whole team is suffering this year.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Why don't you just pick another team right now. That way you don't have to worry about him starting tomorrow

I have been a Ranger fan since 92, so no I will not pick another team, I supported this team when Dunham was in net I can support them with Lundqvist also.

Old
03-01-2007, 09:14 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
We all love Richter. Richter was a great, great goalie. But let's not forget what Richter's first two years were like. Lots of ups and downs.

03-01-2007, 09:14 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Can I officially call you a joke for various reasons?

Its not against the law to call someone a joke so please, I have no objections.

Old
03-01-2007, 09:18 PM
ThirdEye

If the Rangers lose the next 2 or 3 games then we can think about bringing up Montoya. Otherwise leave Lundqvist alone while there is still at least a splinter of hope. Do you honestly think Montoya will automatically fix the 100 or so problem we have right now, especially with 0 experience? Even if he plays god for a few games the Rangers will still find a way to lose somehow the way they are playing