HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ref complaining: A catch-all thread!

Old
03-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

vCash: 500
What was the point of going to two refs again? Go back to one. One is bad enough.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:55 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob View Post
The Rodent a while back put a nice article together about Spada:

http://mt.hockeybird.com/archives/003033.html
yep, ive read that before, *sigh*

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
Problem is, Dolan wont build a new arena until the current MSG falls apart. He's making a mountain of cash right now... and building a new arena costs money.
I think he wants a new arena ASAP.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:58 PM
STEVENS

Quote:
Problem is, Dolan wont build a new arena until the current MSG falls apart. He's making a mountain of cash right now... and building a new arena costs money.
If Dolan had a ounce of pride or self respect he'd sell both the Rangers and Knicks to someone or some company that actually cares about winning. Dolan is a first class horses ass. All he cares about is the almighty dollar. As long as puts the greenbacks in his pocket he could care less what the Knicks or Rangers do.

STEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Inferno
HFB Partner

i like MSG, everytime ive been there ive had a blast, but i agree, at the minimum it needs an upgrade. Ive been to the Philips Arena here in Atlanta and logistically its a million times nicer than MSG. seats are more comfortable, sight lines are better, just...everything about it is nicer, except the team that graces the ice

Old
Skroob*

Quote:
The new Rangers arena needs at minimum, 20,000 seats. 18,200 is nothing for an arena in one of the most populated cities in the world.
it would be nuts for them to simply match seating at this point. 20-22 is a good target i think.

But plans are still early on, so we will see.

Skroob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

ive been kinda in the dark about MSG, honestly not living in NY its not a big concern of mine since ill never go there. are they planning (or hoping to) tear down MSG and build a new stadium? or build a new one elsewhere?

Old
03-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Skroob*

after recent elections, the winners who came out on top are ones who are in favor of a new MSG being constructed within the skin of the old Central Post Office, with the current MSG being used as a new Penn Station.

They had made plans (and i mean like architectural drawings) to do a renovation in the VERY near future (like this coming year), but they tossed those when they saw a new arena was likely.

Old
03-01-2007, 11:01 PM
STEVENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
i like MSG, everytime ive been there ive had a blast, but i agree, at the minimum it needs an upgrade. Ive been to the Philips Arena here in Atlanta and logistically its a million times nicer than MSG. seats are more comfortable, sight lines are better, just...everything about it is nicer, except the team that graces the ice
I've gone to quite a few games at MSG and while have had great seats and bad one's with some awful sight lines as much as a dump as the CAA is I've never sat in a bad seat in the place. Aside from hiking what feels up Mt. Everest you get a pretty good look at everything developing on the ice.

STEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
ive been kinda in the dark about MSG, honestly not living in NY its not a big concern of mine since ill never go there. are they planning (or hoping to) tear down MSG and build a new stadium? or build a new one elsewhere?

They will use the existing Central Post Office building, just across the street. they will keep the beautiful exterior and grand staircases, but gut the inside and build MSG v5 within.

The existing MSG will become the new Penn Station, so Penn will finally have an above-ground presence.

Old
03-01-2007, 11:03 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Quote:
Well, for the rest of you in the New York area... you can enjoy our new Arena for the 4 games a year your teams will play there.

I've heard of plans to always rebuild MSG... going back to the 1990s. But nothing ever came of it.

Its tough... not alot of space in Manhattan to get it done cheaply. The Rangers need to build a new arena while still having the current one available to play in...

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:04 PM
vlh1220

The ref'ing in this league is complete joke. I watch several games a week and I can't believe how bad the calls are on a night to night basis. I'm very frustrated with it as I believe it's a black mark on the game, which needs all the help it can get. This type of bad officiating would never be tolerated in any other professional sport. IMO there is a bias against certain teams and definitely certain players in the league. The officials are not held accountable for blatantly bad calls, that I'm aware of anyway. I believe in the NFL there is a system in place to monitor the blown calls, I wish hockey had some sort of accountability.

vlh1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
They will use the existing Central Post Office building, just across the street. they will keep the beautiful exterior and grand staircases, but gut the inside and build MSG v5 within.

The existing MSG will become the new Penn Station, so Penn will finally have an above-ground presence.
cool thanks.

Old
03-01-2007, 11:06 PM
fob

Not that it matters, but Fleury was approximately 1 foot outside of the edge of the crease when contact was made.

fob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:06 PM
DevFan-RU-

Maybe coaches can be given 1 "challenge" per period that would require a referee to review the call?

Or 1 "challenge" per game. If the coach/player is wrong, they get double the penalty. If theyre right, the penalty is wiped clean.

Old
03-01-2007, 11:09 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil79 View Post
If Dolan had a ounce of pride or self respect he'd sell both the Rangers and Knicks to someone or some company that actually cares about winning. Dolan is a first class horses ass. All he cares about is the almighty dollar. As long as puts the greenbacks in his pocket he could care less what the Knicks or Rangers do.
I was at a club on Long Island a few years ago having some drinks with friends after work. A band comes out and starts to play during happy hour.
I look up and see this guy playing guitar and singing. From where I was standing it was hard to see so but I said to my friends that the looks like Jim Dolan. I walk up to get a closer look and yep, its jimmy boy looking like he had one too many, red-faced and singing in a band. Suprisingly not many people knew that he was the owner of the Rangers. I just a soon tried to keep it that way.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:09 PM
fob

Quote:
Maybe coaches can be given 1 "challenge" per period that would require a referee to review the call?
Which penalties would you consider non-judgment calls (and thus reviewable)?

Old
03-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

Or 1 "challenge" per game. If the coach/player is wrong, they get double the penalty. If theyre right, the penalty is wiped clean.
I dont know about that, I guess thats possible. Id prefer a ref to be constantly watching multiple camera angles and just have him be the one to automatically over-rule an on ice call for blatantly incorrect calls. I dont want the ref to be able to make up for missed calls, thats a part of the game, but id like him to be able to make sure if its called, its the right call. and not calls where it could go either way, just stuff thats blatant.

though to be honest that wouldnt help the half dozen + non called picks the Pens executed today. Again, im much more ticked about the picks than the goalie interference call.

Old
03-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fob View Post
Not that it matters, but Fleury was approximately 1 foot outside of the edge of the crease when contact was made.
looked to me like he was about 2-3 feet at the point of initial contact, and when full blown contact occurred it was more like 4-5 feet out.

Old
03-01-2007, 11:13 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Skroob as I understand it, the post office will become Moynihan Station and it will only need "half" the block (the east side) and the new MSG would be on the west side (9th avenue).

This was just in the news today or yesterday with Sptizer wanting to do something with it.

Rangerboy had a lot of good article links on this. Maybe he will weigh in?

03-01-2007, 11:14 PM
fob

Quote:
looked to me like he was about 2-3 feet at the point of initial contact, and when full blown contact occurred it was more like 4-5 feet out.
No, it wasn't that bad. They froze it on the replay.

Old
03-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

id have to see it again.

Old
03-01-2007, 11:25 PM
DevFan-RU-

Quote:
I dont know about that, I guess thats possible. Id prefer a ref to be constantly watching multiple camera angles and just have him be the one to automatically over-rule an on ice call for blatantly incorrect calls. I dont want the ref to be able to make up for missed calls, thats a part of the game, but id like him to be able to make sure if its called, its the right call. and not calls where it could go either way, just stuff thats blatant.

though to be honest that wouldnt help the half dozen + non called picks the Pens executed today. Again, im much more ticked about the picks than the goalie interference call.
Well, the fault with the system is that it deteriorates the credibility of the officiating system.

I would prefer that the Officials in the NHL make themselves accountable. In private of course. Refs should call other refs out on their mistakes. They're job is to keep the sport honest...

Old
03-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Jaded-Fan

Not causing trouble, but will repeat. Haven't you all ever seen a make up call before? It was the third call against the Pens in the period. None on the Rangers. After Recchi and others had been giving the refs hell about missed calls the other way. If the skate was on the other foot I would have been expecting the refs to be looking for any excuse to make a call against my team. Especially with so little time left. It actually was the perfect call for them because it eliminated one PP and basically only gave the other an 8 second PP. In a tie game. I am shocked that you all were surprised at the call to the point of making this five page (and still going) thread. Again, I have had my team in that situation and said to the guy next to me, here comes the make up call. And almost always it does come. That is hockey.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Not causing trouble, but will repeat. Haven't you all ever seen a make up call before? It was the third call against the Pens in the period. None on the Rangers. After Recchi and others had been giving the refs hell about missed calls the other way. If the skate was on the other foot I would have been expecting the refs to be looking for any excuse to make a call against my team. Especially with so little time left. I am shocked that you all were surprised at the call to the point of making this five page (and still going) thread. Again, I have had my team in that situation and said to the guy next to me, here comes the make up call. And almost always it does come. That is hockey.
Anyone who isn't blind as a bat would be pissed off about the ref who was 50 feet away from the play calling a play after 2 or 3 seconds have passed for the only reason being the Pens whining to high heavens about it.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote