HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Maintaining tape on bottom of blade.

Old
04-10-2014, 09:46 PM
McMaster27

vCash: 50
Maintaining tape on bottom of blade.

Does anyone have any tips on keeping the tape at the very base of the blade intact? I find that after taping my blade normally, the first thing to wear out is the very bottom (where it slides along the ground). I've tried reinforcing it by simply placing another piece of tape overtop the wrap, but have it go longitudinally from front to back only covering the bottom... Still doesn't work well.

I've also tried rubbing a candle against it, and while it looks like it gets coated by a quality layer of wax, it doesn't help at all .

McMaster27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 12:13 AM
hyster110

vCash: 500
in all honesty, you wont reinforce it enough to make a difference. when it wears out just retape the stick. be that time it is usually time to retape anyways. it will make life much simpler.

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 02:19 AM
silkyjohnson50*

Best tip I've ever received in regards to taping the blade (You will no longer have to worry about the bottom):

silkyjohnson50* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 06:50 AM
MattGTI

I've tried that. Personally, I hated the feel of the exposed bottom of the stick on the ice. I couldn't get used to it. Felt unnatural.

I never understood the big deal about just re-taping your stick every game. I know it's not environmentally friendly. However, we spend 60.00-260.00 on a stick. What's the big deal dropping another 10.00 on 4 rolls of tape that will last most people awhile, even if you retape every game or every other?

Maybe it's just me, but I love fresh tape and a fresh wax job every game.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 06:54 AM
Jacques Trap*

Don't use your stick

Honestly, it's inevitable that the tape will wear out down there. Doubling up by adding a strip before full tape job helps a bit as does rubbing the bottom with a candle o something else that will build up a waxy film. Some feel however, that the stick slides to much in the ice surface for their liking.

Jacques Trap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 08:30 AM
McMaster27

Okay so I guess it's a lost cause then :/... The only reason I ask is because the rest of the tape is perfectly fine, it's just that the bottom wears out within the first few minutes. Personally it feels like a waste to replace the tape when 95% of it is in good shape, and it's just the bottom that looks like a homeless mans clothes :/. Although I am very cheap, I guess I'll just have to get over it haha

Old
04-11-2014, 01:00 PM
mzm119

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMaster27 View Post
Okay so I guess it's a lost cause then :/... The only reason I ask is because the rest of the tape is perfectly fine, it's just that the bottom wears out within the first few minutes. Personally it feels like a waste to replace the tape when 95% of it is in good shape, and it's just the bottom that looks like a homeless mans clothes :/. Although I am very cheap, I guess I'll just have to get over it haha
Have you tried different brands of tape? I tape and wax and could go several games without the bottom wearing out. To have it happen in the first few minutes makes me wonder about the quality of the tape.

mzm119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Pacifist Goon

Interesting video, which reinforces what I've always understood, that the tape is to add a little cushioning and grip to puck handling and maybe protect the face and back of the blade a little.

I've never bothered re-taping because the tape has worn off the bottom, it serves no purpose there.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 02:14 PM
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMaster27 View Post
I'll bet your tape roll got wet and isn't sticking properly to the blade. Should last a game.

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Jisatsu

So I've tried a ton of different options when it comes to taping a stick. Back in the days of wooden sticks I would place a strip of tape at the bottom of the blade then tape over it like normal. I'd tape toe to heel and hope for the best.

Then I stopped doing that and at some weird point I started using blade tape leaving the bottom of the blade exposed. I usually did this in the 90's when playing roller hockey and didn't have any problems. For two years I used blade tape, no problems with blade damage like others worry of. Anyways back to using tape again. I like heel to toe taping and honestly I have more problems with tape tearing and wearing from the top of the blade than the bottom.

When I was a bit more competitive I'd tape every game anyways, but now I tape once a week (on the ice 4x a week), and use sex wax all over the blade. Usually no wear at the bottom except near the toe if I'm doing a ton of toe drags.

Anyways I recommend maybe changing the lie of your stick, or not leaning on the blade as much while skating. Don't know why I went on a long rant about stick tape.

Last edited by Jisatsu: 04-11-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Jisatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Terry Yake

i tape my stick and leave it for at least a month usually, unless it just becomes heavily ripped and battered

Terry Yake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 07:05 PM
Steelhead16

I use one piece of friction tape centered on the bottom edge and folded onto both sides of the blade first and then tape over it.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 08:52 PM
OTP Legend*

Stop skating with your stick on the ice. You won't score many goals, and Don Cherry will hate you... but... the bottom of your stick will be flawless!

OTP Legend* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 10:01 PM
McMaster27

Okay okay okay, I suck and just realized that the breaking of the tape must've just been a 1 or 2 time thing .. I'm a beginner and haven't been on the ice much, so I'm just gunna chalk it up to being a poor tape job, and the fact that I played on asphalt with it like once haha.

I did hit the ice yesterday in an ''evaluation night" and played shinny, and my new tape job is still pristine, so maybe my previous tape job was just real crappy. I appreciate the responses though guys, especially stuff like only taping the front and back (not wrapping it), I had no idea that existed. The main reason I was asking was to try and preserve the bottom of my blade, so I just ended up putting a layer of shin guard tape, and then hockey tape (both along the bottom) then wrapped it up like normally. So far so good, but I doubt it will be sustainable with the plastic tape in there.

Also, I screw around in the basement a lot on carpet (don't ask, I need my hockey fix in anyway possible lol) so that probably wore it out quickly.