HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

From an Islanders blog

Old
03-01-2007, 01:26 AM
PunjabiOil*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
"

Wang may offer him the moon to resign Smytty, but Oilers fans didn't want him at 5.75. If Wang has to pay more than that would you want to match it if you were Kevin Lowe?
From an emotional standpoint, yes. The last 2 days have been killing me.

In reality, no Smyth is not worth 5.75M. Lowe may have done the right thing by not compounding his mistake made last summer, but boy I wish he had got it done back then. Smyth should have been made a bigger priority last summer, ahead of Moreau and Staios.

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Loweball

Absolutely positively no sour grapes. In fact, the more I dissect the deal, Kevin Lowe is a genius. We just have to suffer thre rest of this year.

The islanders are Farrrrrrrrr from being a contender. Whoever siad this has **** for brains. Smytty also said his heart is in Edmonton. His basement is a shrine, painted orange and blue, with Oiler stuff everywhere. His wife and kids are active enormously in the community. Smytty has a rink in his back yard. he lives and breaths Oiler blue. he will give his all as he is Smytty but you are in serious denial if you think giving up what you did was fine. The Islanders always make bad moves. Yashin was the worst signing in NHL history. Dipietro for that length is insane. if there is one place that free agents will avoid more than Edmonton, it's Long island. Get real. i am not sour. I like the trade. K Lo has so many prospects to dangle and tons of cash to go shopping and the Oilers will get a superstar this summer. Smytty is not woth even close to $5.75. he is a supporting player. Not a franchise player. not even the biggest Smytty fan like myself can say he is a franchise player. Anybody who does is not thinking with their head and only their heart.

Smytty will be back. If not, he sure as hell won't be in Long Island. That's for bloody sure. I felt so sorry for Smytty yesterday for not just having to leave his favorite team, but for him knowing he was going to a team that won't win either. That made it even worse for him. it would have for me. The islanders should have been sellers too. Come talk to me when you have missed the playoffs too.

This wasn't supposed to be an arguement but your remarks of sour grapes pissed me off. What does a New York Islander fan know anyways? Who the hell is even a new York islander fan anyways? Why?

Last edited by Loweball: 03-02-2007 at 12:24 AM.
Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:21 AM
oiler4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnico1 View Post
Finally, the 1st RDP is likely to be in the 15-20 range in a very shallow draft. Was it really worth it to lose your captain, possibly forever, over $300,000?

Last time i checked Smith still our captain of the oilers. We haven't lost him yet.

oiler4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:36 AM
Loweball

Yeah. Smytty was our captain. Well he should have been but he wasn't. Typical for an Islander fan to make that remark as like I said, why would anybody ever be an Islander fan? That in itself is ignorant and shows they know nothing about hockey.

Old
03-02-2007, 12:42 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Oiler View Post
Yeah. Smytty was our captain. Well he should have been but he wasn't. Typical for an Islander fan to make that remark as like I said, why would anybody ever be an Islander fan? That in itself is ignorant and shows they know nothing about hockey.
No need for this, is there?

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:44 AM
imkinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post

In reality, no Smyth is not worth 5.75M. Lowe may have done the right thing by not compounding his mistake made last summer, but boy I wish he had got it done back then. Smyth should have been made a bigger priority last summer, ahead of Moreau and Staios.
Finally you say something reasonable.

imkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:44 AM
Rival39

Quote:

I dont blame Lowe for what happened on Tuesday but I sure do going back to the summer. I think Ryan was hurt seeing EVERYONE else being signed and he was a non priority. The whole thing just sucks.

Rival39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:45 AM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkinger View Post
Finally you say something reasonable.
You know how much I care about your opinion on a numerical scale?

The same amount of times that you've got laid. Zero

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:49 AM
Loweball

yeah sorry..there was no need for that. I should let them enjoy this and take the high road. I definately don't have sour grapes though and the deal should have been made. Our Gm is fiscally responsible and has a plan. We have to believe that. NO player is worth three first rounders for 20 odd games no matter if it was Sidney Crosby.

Old
03-02-2007, 12:50 AM
imkinger

Quote:

Haha, awesome post man. Internet thuggery at it's best.

You're so hard.

imkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:52 AM
21Gator*

Quote:

Burn.

Seriously though, I agree with your previous statement. Short and to the point.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:26 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

I will say this to you Islander fans: I have no idea why you're as excited as some of you are. I'm the last guy to say anything bad about Ryan Smyth, I got to hang out with him a couple times when he was here, he treats you like any other person. He is maybe the best PERSON in the NHL, and he's probably got the best combo of heart AND skill in the league(although Sid the kid has just as much heart so he would be the exception).

Having said all that, you guys aren't close to a Cup. And to get Smyth in there for the next 18 games, plus 5 or 6 playoff games is ridiculous. And please don't use the excuse on how "you guys did it last year so anybody can", because we had a complete team. We were a team that underachieved all year long and were lower in the standings more so because we were in the toughest divison in hockey last season. The team we had was capable of being a top seeded team. The team you guys have has overachieved a BIT this season, and now has a better forward group with Smyth and Zednik.....excpet you guys did nothing to improve that DISUGSTING BLUELINE!!! I watched some of that game tonight....are you kidding me??? It's a horrible, horrible blueline and remember this is an OILERS fan saying this! If Ryan Smyth was a number 1 d-man, then I could see why you would get excited like you are, but he's a number 1 LW and I personally didn't see a HUGE need for that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to trash you guys or rain on your parade, I just think that it wasn't a good deal for Snow to do. There are times when you have to go for it because it's now or never to win the Cup, and there are times when you have to be happy that your team is ahead of the curve as far as rebuilding and be happy with a playoff berth. Had Snow sat on this team for the rest of the season, signed Blake in the offseason, added some pieces in the offseason, you would be so much better off. You COULD re-sign Smyth, but you'll need to one day sink some money into that defense because it's embarrasing.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote