HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Nylander

Old
03-02-2007, 12:49 AM
Cartman27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
Michael Nylander

Anyone else getting sick of this guy? Wide open shooting lane and he drops it off to a Penguin. He shot the puck tonight and it went in! You would think he'd learn. Im probably just frustrated/angry/pissed/tired and annoyed at another night of headscratching at Madison Square Garden. Ehhhhhhh......

Thoughts?

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:53 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman27 View Post
Anyone else getting sick of this guy? Wide open shooting lane and he drops it off to a Penguin. He shot the puck tonight and it went in! You would think he'd learn. Im probably just frustrated/angry/pissed/tired and annoyed at another night of headscratching at Madison Square Garden. Ehhhhhhh......

Thoughts?
You get what you get with him. no shots, terrible ballerina spins, and a slowed down game. you also get one of the 5 best passers in the game.

good with the bad, and vice versa.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:26 AM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
I've been sick of him since midway through last year.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 02:22 AM
Barnaby

He's the least of our problems. He played a better game then Jagr...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 04:01 AM
The Thomas J.*

He still has 23 goals

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:16 PM
nickrOck

his passing is good, i would'nt say great.. lately he either overhandles the puck into a corner and loses it or tosses a pass out there that just is'nt that good.. he slows down the game so much that any chances of catching a team in a change are non-existent.. the spinning is so freaking annoying, 9 outta 10 provide nothing.. plus hald the time he'll spin away from an open lane to the net when he does beat someone.. they should just give him a computer chair and let him spin on it for an hour prior to the game, so he can get it outta his system..

nickrOck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:22 PM
MrAlfie

i agree that he isnt our biggest problem (i dont really know if he is a big problem) , but yesterday had me rambling infront of tv for a couple of minutes.. throwing profanities at the screen because he wouldnt shoot and because he was spinning circles like its fair.
at some point he reminded me of me playing NHL07 going coast to coast and back just to prove he knows how to handle the puck.
hes the kind of player that wants to carry the puck into the net.
he barely shoots, and that pissed me off yesterday.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrOck View Post
his passing is good, i would'nt say great.. lately he either overhandles the puck into a corner and loses it or tosses a pass out there that just is'nt that good.. he slows down the game so much that any chances of catching a team in a change are non-existent.. the spinning is so freaking annoying, 9 outta 10 provide nothing.. plus hald the time he'll spin away from an open lane to the net when he does beat someone.. they should just give him a computer chair and let him spin on it for an hour prior to the game, so he can get it outta his system..
he spins a lot to try to create lanes, the problem is our offense tends to have almost no movement when the czechs are there.

Old
03-02-2007, 12:25 PM
polako

Michael Nylander is not a problem in the least.

He is a calming influence when everyone else plays jittery

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:10 PM
trench23

Gotta be honest, and i guess i am in the minority here, but i like nylander on our team.. controls the puck, looks for the D to make a mistake, its nice to have someone that can hold on to the puck and set up other guys- think about prior to last season how long we have been hoping for someone like this.. hes always going to pass first, you just have to live with it.. I agree he shoudl have shot yesterday on the delayed call, but like inferno said- take the good with the bad.

trench23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:12 PM
GUYMAN

Nylander

I agree with those who say he is not our biggest problem. But at the same time it seems like when he was playing well so was the team, then he got hurt. He has not been the same ever since - and neither have the Rangers. So there's something more important about him then meets the eye in my opinion.

GUYMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

He and Jagr are dangerous to have on one line, hardly ever do they skate back to cover in the defensive zone. I saw nylander coasting on the play right before the 3rd goal last nite, it was a 3-2 and he was coasting and was still beat by 3 strides. He really is defensively lazy

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:34 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
You get what you get with him. no shots, terrible ballerina spins, and a slowed down game. you also get one of the 5 best passers in the game.

Sums it up perfectly. He's arguably the best second line center in the game.

03-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Chimp

I don't get what you hate about his ballerina spins with the puck so much. Really. He gives the defensemen a chance to move up into shooting positions thus he makes sure to maintain a pressure in the offensive zone. Because of this, the defense will tire and the chance of drawing penalties increases. When he spins along the boards with constant change of direction, he makes it a pain in the ass for his defender to keep pace with him. It isn't exactly rare that Nylander outskates his D-guy because of this.

I also have to ask you a question. How much would you shoot as a center when the team star with the name Jagr constantly told you to pass the puck? "It's all about Jags. Jags, Jags, Jags." Nylander has said in an interview and he also said he has no problem with this. I don't know about you, but if I was a guy with good skating ability and great passing ability, I would probably also turn into the equivalent of a pure point guard in basketball. If I have a great pass and a decent shot, I would prefer to pass someone who shoots better, which will also force the goaltender to make a lateral movement.

Secondly, Nylander now has 20 goals and has offically fired off more shots than Straka has. Like I've said before, how many times have you complained on Straka because he doesn't shoot enough? Nylander has statistically scored in every third game.

Granted, Nylander could indeed shoot more of course, but with a salary of $2.2 million, I feel he has the luxury of having flaws when he is contributing to this team like he has done. PPG guys in his salary range doesn't exactly grow on trees.

If I was a pure sniper, I would absolutely love to have Nylander as my center.

Last edited by Chimp: 03-02-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:53 PM
bleedrngrblue

Can we all just get along? Its really disheartening to see the constant bashing of players after every single game, especially the losses. Nylander has been the same player all the years I've watched him....same with Straka. If you don't like their type of game that is understandable, but it is what it is, and this is the type of team that management decided to build, and then fine tune. You can't fault the guy for playing his game, he isn't and never was a sniper, don't expect him to become one now!

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I don't get what you hate about his ballerina spins with the puck so much. Really. He gives the defensemen a chance to move up into shooting positions thus he makes sure to maintain a pressure in the offensive zone. Because of this, the defense will tire and the chance of drawing penalties increases. When he spins along the boards with constant change of direction, he makes it a pain in the ass for his defender to keep pace with him. It isn't exactly rare that Nylander outskates his D-guy because of this.

I also have to ask you a question. How much would you shoot as a center when the team star with the name Jagr constantly told you to pass the puck? "It's all about Jags. Jags, Jags, Jags." Nylander has said in an interview and he also said he has no problem with this. I don't know about you, but if I was a guy with good skating ability and great passing ability, I would probably also turn into the equivalent of a pure point guard in basketball. If I have a great pass and a decent shot, I would prefer to pass someone who shoots better, which will also force the goaltender to make a lateral movement.

Secondly, Nylander now has 20 goals and has offically fired off more shots than Straka has. Like I've said before, how many times have you complained on Straka because he doesn't shoot enough? Nylander has statistically scored in every third game.

Granted, Nylander could indeed shoot more of course, but with a salary of $2.2 million, I feel he has the luxury of having flaws when he is contributing to this team like he has done. PPG guys in his salary range doesn't exactly grow on trees.

If I was a pure sniper, I would absolutely love to have Nylander as my center.
it depends when he executes his ballerina spins. ive seen him do it on 1 on 1 situations. ive seen him do it hundreds of times in the neutral zone when the dump in or a player is free to pass it to.

Old
03-02-2007, 02:12 PM
SPG

I thought he was awful last night, despite his goal. That being said and like inferno said, you take the good with the bad and vice versa.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Michael Nylander, now this is an interesting subject.

The guy is an enigma, he basically sucks at almost all aspects of the game,
the physical part, the defensive part, face-offs, doesn´t shoot enough etc etc

BUT

The part that he does well, handle the puck and make passes he does so extremely well that I have to like him, I had a huge man-crush on him earlier this because he was flat out phenomenal.

But when he struggles, and his strenghts, puck handling and passing doesn´t come as easy as it normally does for him, he brings absoloutely nothing and thats why people are upset with him I guess.

But for me, most of the time I can live with that because the things he does well he does so extremely well and that produces points, and points produces wins.

Kluivert4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 03:25 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I really really wanted the Rangers to trade Nylander before the deadline.

And thats coming from a fan of his.

He's got a TEAM option this summer and if you traded him away, they could have gotten a great return, especially with the need for centers in the league who can play. If they traded him they could have at least nabbed a 1st rounder with the year he is having, maybe even a very good young player or both.

AND, in the summer if the Rangers had him in their plans im sure he would come back, or they could test the market and go a different way with a new top center.

Maybe Slats has him penciled in as the #2 centerman for 07 - 08 which wouldnt be bad as long as they can find away to find that #1 guy.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 03:35 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever View Post

The part that he does well, handle the puck and make passes he does so extremely well that I have to like him
There is no other part that is important. Most of the players that are good in other aspects of the game (shooting, physical, defensive, etc.) would trade those talents along with their soles to Satan only to be able to do what Nylander can.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 05:49 PM
shoothepuck

Good 2nd line Center, fine passer, 20+ goals 4 seasons in a row, yeah he does the spinney spin, but he's not the one to be complaining about.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:07 PM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

how can you complain about a guy whos on pace for 90 points...if we didn't have him we'd be in a much more akward spot...

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:29 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post

agreed and also he's fantastic at controlling the offensive zone, and holding onto the puck

with that said, i don't love him and find him to be very frustrating at times so i can share the original posters sentiments

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:31 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseenpunk View Post
how can you complain about a guy whos on pace for 90 points...if we didn't have him we'd be in a much more akward spot...
that makes him perfect? i can see the complaint here, some players just have a nack for something that just is frustrating and probably would elevate their game if they made a simple change.. kovalev dancing around anyone?

and i wouldn't go there with the point total, im not even gonna discuss the jagr factor..

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 08:30 PM
bmoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseenpunk View Post
You forget this is Hockey's Future, where any kid is better than any vet. If Nylander can score 90+ pts palying with Jagr, then Dubinsky or Immonen should be able to get 100+ easy!

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote