HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Shayne Gostisbehere (signed ELC, terms in OP; debuted with Phantoms Apr. 19)

Old
04-12-2014, 07:06 PM
Mota

vCash: 500
Is there any legal reason he cant sign tomorrow morning and play in the game? I mean, he is already in Philly and tomorrows game doesnt mean anything. They can play him and rest Streit.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 07:35 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
ghost is trending twitter

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 07:38 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Decent first period.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 07:43 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Is there any legal reason he cant sign tomorrow morning and play in the game? I mean, he is already in Philly and tomorrows game doesnt mean anything. They can play him and rest Streit.
He'll likely be signed within the next 24 hours IMO. I don't think it will get in time for the game though, it's a 3 o'clock start.

The Phantoms still have some games left so that could be an option.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 08:20 PM
FLYERSFAN18

What NHL player(s) has his game been compared to? Kind of reminds me of Duncan Keith

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 08:34 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
What NHL player(s) has his game been compared to? Kind of reminds me of Duncan Keith
The do have some similarities, but Gostisbehere has a little more pop to his game. Keith is a better playmaker and more sound defensively. Both great skaters. Not going to say Shayne is a better skater because I've been watching him skate with a bunch of college kids, but he shouldn't be too far behind when he reaches his peak.

Comparing him to Keith is a bit lofty, but they were both skipped over in their original draft years. I was just getting into prospects when Keith was coming up, but he was never considered a real blue chipper from what I remember (Seabrook was the guy). He really took off and his skating is a big reason why.

He's a mix between a lot of guys. I see a little Karlsson in his game. Same height, similar build, wiry strength, great shots, great skaters, better in the open ice, puck dominant. He doesn't have Karlsson's head or hands or playmaking skills, but they play the game in a similar fashion.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 08:40 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
The do have some similarities, but Gostisbehere has a little more pop to his game. Keith is a better playmaker and more sound defensively. Both great skaters. Not going to say Shayne is a better skater because I've been watching him skate with a bunch of college kids, but he shouldn't be too far behind when he reaches his peak.

Comparing him to Keith is a bit lofty, but they were both skipped over in their original draft years. I was just getting into prospects when Keith was coming up, but he was never considered a real blue chipper from what I remember (Seabrook was the guy). He really took off and his skating is a big reason why.

He's a mix between a lot of guys. I see a little Karlsson in his game. Same height, similar build, wiry strength, great shots, great skaters, better in the open ice, puck dominant. He doesn't have Karlsson's head or hands or playmaking skills, but they play the game in a similar fashion.
Seems like he has the potential to be a great player. This is only the 3rd or 4th time I have seen him play, but I have really like what I see, like everyone else.

Nice to see a guy from my area in south Florida be such a highly regarded prospect We don't get many of those around here.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 09:06 PM
Jray42

vCash: 91
Just realized me and Shayne share a birthday, even more reason to root for him!

4/20 b-days ftw!

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Devastate

This kid is awesome.

We have to sign him

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 11:25 PM
onlylordsvsmorebp
grossmansmash

never seen him play before.what can you say.wow.sign him now.

onlylordsvsmorebp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 11:36 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Flyers Shayne Gostisbehere is eligible to play in the NHL playoffs if he signs before the end of the regular season. (ie. Chris Kreider)
Quote:
Gostisbehere would be eligible for playoffs because he was on the Flyers reserve list at trade deadline.
Source: CapGeek @capgeek

Old
04-12-2014, 11:43 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I gotta think that the fact that they put him on the reserve list suggests that they had an idea he was going to sign.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 11:50 PM
bauerhockey02

Put him in tomorrow! That would be great to get him in one game.

bauerhockey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 11:53 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I gotta think that the fact that they put him on the reserve list suggests that they had an idea he was going to sign.
Possibly or at least they figured they were going to press him to sign.

It would also help to know how many reserve spots a team has if it's limited or not.

Old
04-12-2014, 11:54 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
so basically his deadline is tomorrow? Get it done.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 12:01 AM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Ghost:

-3 ECAC titles
-WJC Gold
-NCAA D1 Championship

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 12:08 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

I'm really excited to see him play for the Flyers. I'd love to see him in tomorrow or in the playoffs but I'd not holding my breath...

He's going to be our defensive version of Giroux

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 12:32 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
What really made me excited was his creative defensive plays. That's what Timonen did/does at his best; he shuts down other teams by being creatively defensive. It's one thing to be offensively creative, but he showed a general situational awareness that's REALLY encouraging.

04-13-2014, 12:43 AM
The Dream
Maximum Overdrive

It appears his offensive game is already NHL level. But I still think he needs to improve his defense game. It will be interesting to see how he adapts to the puck possession players like Crosby.

The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 12:47 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
What really made me excited was his creative defensive plays. That's what Timonen did/does at his best; he shuts down other teams by being creatively defensive. It's one thing to be offensively creative, but he showed a general situational awareness that's REALLY encouraging.
Yep, the only way he could've had a better game overall was if he cured cancer using Crosbys tears during the intermission.

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 01:05 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpinheiro4 View Post
It appears his offensive game is already NHL level. But I still think he needs to improve his defense game. It will be interesting to see how he adapts to the puck possession players like Crosby.
They say the best defense is a good offense. I've watched him play probably 15 games or so and I can't recall him playing stationary defense in his own zone too often. He always seems to get the puck out of his zone and can even get it in the offensive zone without a pass. Will that work as often at the next level? No but it will translate in some form. He'll get better with more experience. Like the quotes mention, his feet are too good. He can keep up with just about anyone.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 03:00 AM
hockeyfreak7

At the collegiate level, Gostisbehere is a Karlsson clone. He dictates the tempo of the game (the mark of a #1 defender, imo), and he has supreme confidence in his abilities and, of course, he has the abilities to put it all together.

I don't think the ability to dictate the tempo of the game will translate at the NHL level, though what I saw today was promising. If it does, we'd be looking at a franchise defender here, but that's quite the longshot. Very few players can control the pace of an elite level NHL game.

That said, his abilities and his confidence in them are going to make him an excellent NHLer. I see many Mark Streit qualities in his offensive game, and it would not surprise me in the slightest if his game is similar. Just a few years ago, Streit was a top pairing defender, so it's not a lowball ceiling for him, I'd say. Similar stride, similar blasts from the point, similar confidence in puck handling abilities. I'd say Gostisbehere is smoother, but also riskier. We'll see how he changes his game at the NHL level.

Regardless, it's awesome to have him in the system. On an ELC for the next three years, this kid is going to be supremely valuable. I'd love to see him join the fold ASAP, but at the same time, if we're maximizing his value, we're going to want him on that ELC for as long as possible.

What I also love is that he's pretty annoying to play against. He had the suspension at the WJC and he makes a lot of subtle plays that are far from dirty, but enough to get under your skin. At one point today he was standing next to a guy about five seconds after the play was dead and everything was settled and he just gave him a nonchalant shove to the chest out of nowhere. When he's doing that to Kunitz, Crosby, Malkin, and Neal, he's going to fit right in.

Add to that the fact that he's won at every level he's played, and we have a gem here. I know hockey's a team game, and we all hate the "Cups" argument, but as far as experience goes, winning at every level goes a long way. What I love seeing more than anything is that most of our top prospects are on winning teams right now. Ghost, Morin, Stolarz, and Leier are gaining invaluable experience by making runs in the postseason. That big game experience is big. And seeing Ghost step up in the biggest game of his career was very Giroux-like. Couldn't be happier with that performance tonight.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 06:36 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Who is he playing over?
Just watched the game again this morning. That is the best I have seen him play. What a show he put on for the nation to see. Him and G on the same PP!!!! Wow. Just found Kimmo's replacement.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 07:10 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Rangers signed Kreider right after they won the national title a couple years ago and played him throughout the playoffs. What it means is you'll be eating a year of his ELC--not necessarily a good thing. If you believe the guy could step up a couple levels and add a lot now to your team it's a good move--if you're not sure....well....it's going to cost you later if you play him now--quicker to becoming an arbitration eligible RFA for instance which affects cap cost control.

The Rangers were hit by injuries against Ottawa and didn't have a lot of forward depth--Torts didn't really want to dress Kreider but it was between him and John Scott or call up someone like Kris Newbury. They went with Kreider who by the way the first two-three games would come off the ice really gassed and he's an absolute fitness fanatic--partly he was chasing the play too much. He settled down and actually played a lot of good games that playoff year but college to the NHL playoffs is a big big step.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 07:16 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
If Ghost signs and plays today (or in the playoffs, which won't happen unless we get killed with injuries), it burns a year off his ELC. Maybe the Flyers are ok with that and is part of the deal as that does happen, but it's not as simple as 'let's sign him and play him for ***** and giggles in a game that doesn't matter."

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote