HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I heard Cy (the Hulk Hogan guy) got tossed out yesterday???

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2014, 11:51 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
If he had signs with innuendo or inappropriate material (not just McGuire's head with REGIS on it) then they weren't in the wrong to remove him.

And I don't like Cy's dishonesty in implying he only had the one sign.
That part I can guarantee is not true. He had a sign that had something on it that said "Swallows" and I read the other one and it was sexual innuendo, too. He also had a few "IDIOT" stickers on Pierre's head.

They still should have just taken the bag off him and left him there since they knew hew as good. But the poor guy couldn't speak and DEFINITELY struggled to walk up and down the stairs. It was painful to watch that.

Old
04-13-2014, 11:53 AM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
I don't see what this has to do with America. CEC isn't a public place. It's privately owned and operated. Is it cool if I come into your house and hold up signs that are offensive to you?
Yeah, the America comment is bizarre.

That aside, I don't think anybody would argue that the Pens/CEC don't have the right to toss out a fan, it's just a question of whether they should. Kicking out a long-time fan (and fan favorite) who is also fighting a life-threatening illness because of a sign that at face value shouldn't be that controversial seems very odd. Again, I'm curious to hear the organization's side of the story.

Old
04-13-2014, 11:54 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Cut the political talk... the guy was already proven wrong.

Old
04-13-2014, 12:02 PM
Sideline

Tossing out a life long fan that has difficulty speaking and moving is a joke. I don't care what his signs said. Take the offending signs and leave the man be. Cy is not some drunken frat boy; he's an elderly man with failing health.

I'm not buying anything Penguins related until I hear the team apologize for the way they handled this.

Old
04-13-2014, 12:05 PM
The Oneironaut
FIRE SHERO/BYLSMA.

I get that the guy is a cancer survivor, a long-time STH, that he can't talk, and that it was hard to watch him struggle up the stairs.

Given all that, I've seen much more offensive signs brought to games. Each time, the usher simply confiscates the sign. There's no scene, and it's no big deal.

For this guy to get tossed, it sounds like he must have refused to give up the signs. In which case, he got exactly what he deserved.

Old
04-13-2014, 12:07 PM
Ally22

Doesn't Cy have a good relationship with the Pens organization? I swear I saw a video where he was invited to practice and met the team. I don't see why they wouldn't just ask for and remove the offending signs instead of just kicking him out altogether. It seems kind of cruel what they did to him.

Old
04-13-2014, 12:09 PM
Whale Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
Tossing out a life long fan that has difficulty speaking and moving is a joke. I don't care what his signs said. Take the offending signs and leave the man be. Cy is not some drunken frat boy; he's an elderly man with failing health.

I'm not buying anything Penguins related until I hear the team apologize for the way they handled this.
To take it a step further, I would like to hear the organization make an official comment on this, but I doubt it's really a big enough issue to warrant one. At the end of the day it was probably security that made the decision to toss him, I doubt the order came down from Mario or Burkle. Employees make mistakes in judgement. I know, I spend enough time apologizing for the ones my guys make.

Maybe Cy didn't want to give up the signs, maybe security over-reacted, either way it sounds like Cy crossed the line with his signs this time, which I know he has been told not to do and has some culpability in this as well.

It seemed on the surface there had to be more to the story then just the word Regis on a fathead. Thanks to ColePens for pointing it out.

Old
04-13-2014, 12:11 PM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

I have only been to a couple of sporting events in America (basketball mostly) but from what I remember, they search (or pat down) everybody and look in bags as well. Why were these signs not checked at the door and given the ok or nay? And if they were checked and given the ok, then either someone screwed up or they caved in to Pierre and his goons.

Either way, the whole could have been handled a lot better if they had stopped it before it became a problem.

Old
04-13-2014, 12:15 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally22 View Post
Doesn't Cy have a good relationship with the Pens organization? I swear I saw a video where he was invited to practice and met the team. I don't see why they wouldn't just ask for and remove the offending signs instead of just kicking him out altogether. It seems kind of cruel what they did to him.
I was above watching the entire thing and here is just what happened from my perspective:

- Cy and 3 others walked down to their seats. Took him a lot of time and help to get down the stairs due to his health. He could not speak.

- He unloaded his garbage bag w/ the big fat heads and stickers such as "idiot" and sexual innuendos were attached to some of the fat heads.

- The bald security guy came down and asked Cy's friend, younger/tall/bald, that the Pierre head and words have to be removed. I watched them take the fat head from them last time we were televised because I was in the same seats.

- The security guard and Cy's friend walked up with the sign to the Capt Morgan Club.

- Security comes back down and removes all 4 members and takes the signs with them. 3 of which were just older folks who looked like they couldn't harm a dog.

- Cy really struggled walking up... it lasted all the way through the national anthem (before and after). A lot of people were concerned for his health and he actually ended up being carried up the stairs w/ his arm wrapped around someone.

- I was focusing intently on this and there did not seem to be any foul language said back and forth. Security was talking in their little walkie/talkies and Cy kept shaking his head and looked really defeated that he was being kicked out. I was hoping they would come back throughout the game but never did.

The signs from what I saw had sexual innuendo and some name calling that would not be apropos for a family event. But.. I mean that's life. It's no different from the Philly jerseys I see about Pens players.

Please note - I was about 8 rows up and was watching it happen from the beginning. That is just my take on what happened.

Old
04-13-2014, 12:20 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wu View Post
When I hear stories like this, I'm glad that I don't spend one cent on the NHL.

America. You are free to do as we tell you.
Actually, you're not.

Old
04-13-2014, 12:24 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I don't see what this has to do with America. CEC isn't a public place. It's privately owned and operated. Is it cool if I come into your house and hold up signs that are offensive to you?
Would you be eating my food?

Old
04-13-2014, 12:24 PM
That1Kid

Honestly I don't see what the big deal is. Idiots get kicked out of sporting events all of the time, regardless of the guy's personal life, he didn't handle himself properly. Why should the team treat him differently than other fans who break the rules?

Old
04-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I was above watching the entire thing and here is just what happened from my perspective:

- Cy and 3 others walked down to their seats. Took him a lot of time and help to get down the stairs due to his health. He could not speak.

- He unloaded his garbage bag w/ the big fat heads and stickers such as "idiot" and sexual innuendos were attached to some of the fat heads.

- The bald security guy came down and asked Cy's friend, younger/tall/bald, that the Pierre head and words have to be removed. I watched them take the fat head from them last time we were televised because I was in the same seats.

- The security guard and Cy's friend walked up with the sign to the Capt Morgan Club.

- Security comes back down and removes all 4 members and takes the signs with them. 3 of which were just older folks who looked like they couldn't harm a dog.

- Cy really struggled walking up... it lasted all the way through the national anthem (before and after). A lot of people were concerned for his health and he actually ended up being carried up the stairs w/ his arm wrapped around someone.

- I was focusing intently on this and there did not seem to be any foul language said back and forth. Security was talking in their little walkie/talkies and Cy kept shaking his head and looked really defeated that he was being kicked out. I was hoping they would come back throughout the game but never did.

The signs from what I saw had sexual innuendo and some name calling that would not be apropos for a family event. But.. I mean that's life. It's no different from the Philly jerseys I see about Pens players.

Please note - I was about 8 rows up and was watching it happen from the beginning. That is just my take on what happened.
My mom died from cancer a couple of years ago, so I empathize with Cy's condition. However, he should of known better than to bring signs like that. It was ridiculous as hell if the signs had "swallows" and sexual innuendos in them about PM.

Kids go to the game and they shouldn't see things like that TBTH. Having cancer doesn't give you an excuse to be direspectful to others. He should not have gotten special treatment because he was a longtime fan with cancer. It didn't take much common sense to know signs like that would draw ire from security at the CEC.

Old
04-13-2014, 12:43 PM
Ally22

Thanks Cole for the perspective. I mean obviously they are at fault here--don't bring those signs if you want to avoid trouble since young kids attend these games, but the situation probably could've been dealt with better (without any removal from the game). I can imagine that that would've been very uncomfortable to watch. Also I've only been once but my experience at Consol was amazing and all the personnel were super nice and even obliged in taking super lame pictures of me + my friends :/

Old
04-13-2014, 12:48 PM
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!

If i had been at the game and sitting even remotely close to the situation, there is no way i'd allow him to be removed due to a cut out of McGuire. I wish others would band together in defiance of what seems to be an absolute overreach by the Pens. Does the average person know how much a game day ticket costs? People pay a ******** of money for the ticket alone and have a right to express feelings, as long as illegal activity doesn't occur. Removing the sign is one thing. Removing him is another.

This just goes to show you the absolutely moronic ship that the Penguins are running. It now just seems to go beyond coaching and FO work.

Old
04-13-2014, 12:56 PM
Rectify
I need a job.

I had a sign that said "Edzo has to go" back in the day. I held it up for most of the game and nobody cared.

It was back in the x-force or x-gen days where they had a stand on the concourse and you could walk up and make your own sign. The people working the stand said that it was okay as long as no foul language was involved.

Good ol' days.

Old
04-13-2014, 01:00 PM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

Look, my father died from cancer so I sympathize with the health situation, but there's not enough information. If he had an offensive sign that's on him, don't make an offensive sign. I don't know if there's been an on going issue with this or if a sign really offended someone or if the guard just over reacted or whatever. I don't know. You also have a sick man struggling, that's going to cause a reaction and skew the perspective a bit.

**** always comes out later with things like this... or I forget about it.

You'd also think they'd have something to aid people struggling with the stairs.

Old
04-13-2014, 01:02 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87and71 View Post
If i had been at the game and sitting even remotely close to the situation, there is no way i'd allow him to be removed due to a cut out of McGuire. I wish others would band together in defiance of what seems to be an absolute overreach by the Pens. Does the average person know how much a game day ticket costs? People pay a ******** of money for the ticket alone and have a right to express feelings, as long as illegal activity doesn't occur. Removing the sign is one thing. Removing him is another.

This just goes to show you the absolutely moronic ship that the Penguins are running. It now just seems to go beyond coaching and FO work.
Hell yeah, fight the power

Old
04-13-2014, 01:04 PM
SidNeedsNoWingers
He can do it all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabm8 View Post
You'd also think they'd have something to aid people struggling with the stairs.
They do--accessible/wheelchair seating. I'm sure if he'd ask, the Pens would move his seats...but they wouldn't do it if he doesn't request it.

Old
04-13-2014, 01:06 PM
Olli Guacamole

I went to the last game in Columbus and a lady right in front of me had a sign that said "ALL I WANT FOR MY BIRTHDAY IS PYATT'S STICK." Also, her boyfriend was wearing a Brooks Orpik jersey, but that is beside the point. Anyway, she held it up literally any time Pyatt was near the bench and/or facing us. It blocked my view of players that matter and was annoying. Can we just like... not have signs anymore pls?

Old
04-13-2014, 01:20 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87and71 View Post

Read the thread.

Old
04-13-2014, 01:21 PM
PensPlz

Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz
Before the games they show a PSA about how fans should conduct themselves. If I'm not mistaken, his image is used throughout the video along with other fan-stars like the cotton eyed Joe dancer. A little ironic, heh. But unless his signs were extremely vulgore, which had people complaining around him, simple confiscation should of been enough.

Old
04-13-2014, 01:24 PM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidNeedsNoWingers View Post
They do--accessible/wheelchair seating. I'm sure if he'd ask, the Pens would move his seats...but they wouldn't do it if he doesn't request it.
I meant like a thing for the regular seats. I'm really tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelPenguin36 View Post
I went to the last game in Columbus and a lady right in front of me had a sign that said "ALL I WANT FOR MY BIRTHDAY IS PYATT'S STICK." Also, her boyfriend was wearing a Brooks Orpik jersey, but that is beside the point. Anyway, she held it up literally any time Pyatt was near the bench and/or facing us. It blocked my view of players that matter and was annoying. Can we just like... not have signs anymore pls?
Yes, definitely. Some people are creepy ****s with no boundaries. Drunk lady with a Lupul fill my Lup-hole sign.

Old
04-13-2014, 01:32 PM
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!

Quote:
Read the thread.
I did. ColePens information was damning. There was absolutely no reason to remove the old man from the game. At worst, tell him to take the fat heads down and he can have them back at the end of the game.

#Countryclublifestyle

Old
04-13-2014, 01:42 PM
swaggerjack

Cy is an *******. And he had other signs insinuating oral sex, as this has been mentioned. Being a cancer survivor is great, but that doesn't mean you can be an arrogant *****.

CEC is a tame mundane place. Those signs shouldn't be in the arena.

Closed Thread