HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Official Antero Niittymaki Thread

Old
03-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Well he did not really beat anyone when he played for the Sabres. Miller did, Hasek did, Biron had a few good years but no playoffs (from what I can remember). Solid player but who did he beat Thomas and Raycroft? Is that a big deal?

People seem to think that I suggest that Nitty is better then Biron. No, it is not the case.

I just have a problem with giving up a high draft pick while rebuilding, when Flyers could have Biron for free..

Fans get excited about 3rd round pick but are ok with giving up high 2nd round pick.
I don't understand what you're saying. I'm not talking specifically about playoffs, I'm saying all he has to do is beat any goalie on any given night, which he's capable of because he's a good goalie.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 01:39 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
But, the dirty little secret is, it's better to have a team that doesn't need games stolen for them. That's what wins Cups.
Agreed, but it doesn't hurt to have a goalie who is capable of stealing games for you when your team isn't playing well. Do I think Biron is capable of that? His past would seem to suggest that he is capable of doing such.

Another question that we need to ask is can Biron play behind such a young defense and be successful? Once again, we look back on his career in Buffalo and once again, we can answer that with a yes.

Biron will be alright. Obviously he won't be a Brodeur, but not many goalies are. As well, other than Brodeur, he's just as good as any goalie in our division. Maybe the other goalies have youth and that will more than likely mean better numbers in the future, but if you're looking in the here and now, Biron's numbers are just as good and better than the goalies in our division not named Brodeur.

It would be nice to get that franchise goalie. However, franchise goalies just don't grow on trees and not every team who has a franchise goalie is just going to part with one for nothing. What this franchise needs is a stable goaltender. Biron is stable. And for the 31st pick in the draft, stability is much, much, much better than unpredictability.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
It would be nice to get that franchise goalie. However, franchise goalies just don't grow on trees and not every team who has a franchise goalie is just going to part with one for nothing. What this franchise needs is a stable goaltender. Biron is stable. And for the 31st pick in the draft, stability is much, much, much better than unpredictability.
Exactly. A consistent, quality goaltender. Those are hard enough to find as it is. Look at how many goalies are vastly overpaid simply because they were the best of what was around when they were free agents. Sign Biron and don't look back.

Unless Holmgren is a genius and has other plans that would shock us all. But I doubt that.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Chainsaw

Lets face the facts. We have aquired yet another back up goalie. The Flyers did it when we got Beezer who backed up Richter. Jeff Hackett who backed up Theodore. Now we Got the mighty Biron who was in fact Miller's back up. Now I'm not saying that Biron is not the answer, i'm just stating the facts. He could, come in here and get out of Miller's shadow like Dominc Hasek did when he left Belfour and Chicago, for ironically enough Buffalo. Or...... well we have seen this movie before.

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 02:48 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_Flyers_fan View Post
Lets face the facts. We have aquired yet another back up goalie. The Flyers did it when we got Beezer who backed up Richter. Jeff Hackett who backed up Theodore. Now we Got the mighty Biron who was in fact Miller's back up. Now I'm not saying that Biron is not the answer, i'm just stating the facts. He could, come in here and get out of Miller's shadow like Dominc Hasek did when he left Belfour and Chicago, for ironically enough Buffalo. Or...... well we have seen this movie before.

Normally agree with you but not this time.

I can hardly call someone who has better numbers with the more games he plays in a season a back-up goalie.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Jester

Quote:
chances are, if you're acquring someone that they were someone else's backup... thus why they were expendable. Biron isn't going to be the savior of this franchise, but he'll be an improvement for the time being and maybe they can find a more permanent solution...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 03:43 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
We aquired Beezer after he stared in Florida

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeIsGoneDotCom View Post
Nabokov makes 5 million.
I guessed at 6 million because thats what he is going to get from someone whether its the Ducks or someone else, all you need to do is look at Nikolai Khabibulin. hes getting 6.75 from the Hawks and Giguere is a much better goalie then he is, so IMO my estimation might be conservative for Giguere.
cujo and Hasek are both 40 plus and would not be a good fit IMO.
David Aebischer? hes no better then Esche.
I thought about Khabibulin.. I think he is still good but his contract is a killer. If I would be making that move I would have to get someone else who is really good from Chicago. This sounds like a salary dump... Good example Malakhov from NJD. In Khabibulin case I would ask for more because I believe he has another two years on his deal and we still have Hatcher. Maybe swing Hatcher for Khabibulin and exchange younger players like Picard for Barker? I do not know.. All I am saying that a lot of moves can be made before or during the draft. and Biron who is a solid goalie is NOT the only option.

Facts are facts.. Biron is a solid player but he was, always was a back up. He will ask for a contract. So Homer better be damn sure, he made the right move and gave up a high pick during our rebuilding.. Don't you agree?

Quote:
I think you pick up a Cujo, Hasek or even a Belfour if you had a kid in the minors is going to be ready in a year or 2 but we dont, so we go with the better long term solution in Biron. As far as where we are with goalies in the division, its very hard to judge a guy who never given a chnace to start. You cant compare him to Brodeur(you cant compare no one to him)
Lundqvist good, there is no doubt about that.
Not really hard to judge..
1.Marty
2.Hank
3. MAF
4. DP and Biron.

Quote:
Dippy hasnt proved anything yet with the Isles, hes really erratic.
I do not disagree... He is a hot dog..
Quote:
MAF was benched for Jocelyn Thibault last week.
That means nothing.... I know you will take one MAF over 5 Birons.. Thats not even the question.
Quote:
I think the Flyers will be fine with Biron in goal, provided we build a team in front of him next season.
I do not know about being fine.. Flyers will be better.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 03-01-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Chainsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodu View Post
We aquired Beezer after he stared in Florida
my bad

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 04:36 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
I thought about Khabibulin.. I think he is still good but his contract is a killer. If I would be making that move I would have to get someone else who is really good from Chicago. This sounds like a salary dump... Good example Malakhov from NJD. In Khabibulin case I would ask for more because I believe he has another two years on his deal and we still have Hatcher. Maybe swing Hatcher for Khabibulin and exchange younger players like Picard for Barker? I do not know.. All I am saying that a lot of moves can be made before or during the draft. and Biron who is a solid goalie is NOT the only option.

Facts are facts.. Biron is a solid player but he was, always was a back up. He will ask for a contract. So Homer better be damn sure, he made the right move and gave up a high pick during our rebuilding.. Don't you agree?

1.Marty
2.Hank
3. MAF
4. DP and Biron.

That means nothing.... I know you will take one MAF over 5 Birons.. Thats not even the question.

Why are you so hung up on comparing Biron to every goaltender in the division or elsewhere in the league? That isn't the friggen point. All this team needs is a steady goaltender who they know what they will get from him each night - make the saves he's supposed to make and not let in flubbed shots from the blueline.

Is Biron that? Yes, he is. Giguere was the ONLY other option, and Holmgren must have felt that would have been a difficult task to bring him here. There is NO question that this was a good move. We could not risk going into next season with this team's confidence going futher down the ******* when niittymaki continues to fall on his face

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 04:45 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:

1.Marty
2.Hank
3. MAF
4. DP and Biron.

You just don't get it man. We made a good deal, leave it be. And to be perfectly honest, Khabibulin isn't that much of an upgrade when compared to Biron. Biron has .909 save percentage over 8 seasons. Khabibulin has .906 over 11 seasons. Not that much of a difference at all. Plus, Khabibulin is almost 4.5 million dollars more expensive than Biron. So really, is Khabibulin that much of an upgrade over Biron? No, he isn't.

As for Biron being bottom tier when compared to the other goalies in our division, once again, his numbers are just as good and better than everyone else not named Brodeur. So, no, there really aren't any other options that were available to us. Like I said in previous posts. Number one, franchise goalies just don't grow on trees and any team that has a franchise number one goalie isn't going to give up for next to nothing. The next best thing is to find a steady, reliable goalie who can make that big save every now and then. Remember, Detroit won Stanley Cups with goalies named Vernon and Osgoode. Neither one of them could be considered true franchise goalies.......

Old
03-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Remember, Detroit won Stanley Cups with goalies named Vernon and Osgoode. Neither one of them could be considered true franchise goalies.......
right.. whatever.. when you get a chance... check Detroits cup winning rosters. 15 out of 20 guys will go to HOF (just my guess not getting into details) not to mention head coach...

Last edited by Kaktus*: 03-01-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old
03-01-2007, 10:13 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
right.. whatever.. when you get a chance... check Detroits cup winning rosters. 15 out of 20 guys will go to HOF (just my guess not getting into details) not to mention head coach...
Right, whenever. When you get a chance, you'll see that the roster was Yzerman, Federov, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Larionov, and Fetisov. No, Draper, Maltby and McCarty probably won't make the HOF. There's your 15 to 20 guys. As for coaching, if Philadelphia feels comfortable with idiot stick behind the bench, then that's their own problem for keeping him. There's better coaches available.

Old
03-02-2007, 05:18 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Right, whenever. When you get a chance, you'll see that the roster was Yzerman, Federov, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Larionov, and Fetisov. No, Draper, Maltby and McCarty probably won't make the HOF. There's your 15 to 20 guys. As for coaching, if Philadelphia feels comfortable with idiot stick behind the bench, then that's their own problem for keeping him. There's better coaches available.
Chelly, who knows maybe Konstantinov... Plus Ozzy him self was juuuuuust a little better. Draper should be considered because he played Selke type d all these years.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 03-02-2007 at 05:34 AM.
Old
03-02-2007, 06:10 AM
Jester

Quote:
Chelly, who knows maybe Konstantinov... Plus Ozzy him self was juuuuuust a little better. Draper should be considered because he played Selke type d all these years.
Chelios was on the team that won with Hasek.

Draper is not a HoF'er at all.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 09:35 AM
facts

I like Nitty too but we need to look at it this way. He played with the same defense that Esche has and whom Biron is playing with. Esche is gone because of attitude alone. Nitty will get another shot, but the confidence that Biron will bring to this team is very important. I say shut Nitty done for the year, get his hip fixed and use Esche in the backup role. That way it ends the so called controversy. Biron is clearly here to stay and Esche is not- Nitty needs to get healthy and then he has two choices- sign and earn the top spot, or sit out and wait to be traded, I highly doubt the second will happen. He needs a few more years of 20 games or so to get his game straight, he is not ready for a full season just yet.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 10:02 AM
DrCrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
I say shut Nitty done for the year, get his hip fixed and use Esche in the backup role.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. Time for Nitty to get healthy and prepare him for next season. And it doesn't hurt to give Biron the nod either now when we want him to sign a new contract. Not that I forsee any serious problems though.

DrCrane is offline   Reply With Quote