HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Starting Goalie

View Poll Results: Starter
Biron 86 88.66%
Esche 5 5.15%
Niittymaki 6 6.19%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2007, 07:49 AM
  #26
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Its a no brainer right now. Both of our goalies have been incredibly shakey and horribly on-and-off injured all season. Lets get Biron in there now and see what he can do. He's got the most potential of them all, IMHO.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 08:10 AM
  #27
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Honestly I don't understand why the Flyers are carrying 3 goalies. At this point, why not put Esche on waivers? His value is minimal at best.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 08:43 AM
  #28
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Honestly I don't understand why the Flyers are carrying 3 goalies. At this point, why not put Esche on waivers? His value is minimal at best.
we have to get Nitty into surgery now. Ive been saying that for months now...

TheKingPin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 08:52 AM
  #29
LePalle
Registered User
 
LePalle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 500
Biron is only here because he was tired of being a backup...I like him so far, so I wouldnt want to just be a dick and put him as a backup anyway. He was only brought in to be a starter, so I dont know why someone would be shocked to find that were ready to hand him the #1 job.

LePalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:08 AM
  #30
Blindside9711
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Misplaced SOB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Biron. He's the best and healthiest (physically and mentally) out of the bunch.
Shut down Niitty and get him in for repairs, then use Esche sparingly to spell Biron for a game here and there.
Biron's here, he (says he) wants to be here, and he's the best option we have. Stevens would be an absolute joke if he didn't play him as a #1. Well... would it really take that for us to say that Stevens is a joke? My impression of JS is that, just like alot of players, he can excel at the AHL, but somehow can't translate into the NHL.

Blindside9711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:14 AM
  #31
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersphan View Post
we have to get Nitty into surgery now. Ive been saying that for months now...
That's all well and good, but he has said that he isn't going to get the surgery until the season is over.

Let's assume for a second that he did agree to get the surgery, there's still no reason to have 3 goalies. The season is over and there's no reason to not go with Biron and Leighton for the remaining games.

Without question Biron should be the starter, otherwise why trade for him in the first place?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:22 AM
  #32
Blindside9711
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Misplaced SOB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
The season is over and there's no reason to not go with Biron and Leighton for the remaining games.
Except that Leighton plays for MTL now... but that's a pretty big reason.

Blindside9711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:36 AM
  #33
LePalle
Registered User
 
LePalle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711 View Post
Except that Leighton plays for MTL now... but that's a pretty big reason.
If hes willing to let that stand in his way...then maybe he shouldnt be a goaltender.

LePalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:01 PM
  #34
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711 View Post
Except that Leighton plays for MTL now... but that's a pretty big reason.
What I'm saying is that there was no reason to waive Leighton and if Niittymaki did get the surgery that Biron and Leighton could have handled the load in what is a lost season anyway.

That said there's still zero reason to carry 3 goalies for the rest of the season.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 02:32 PM
  #35
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
What I'm saying is that there was no reason to waive Leighton and if Niittymaki did get the surgery that Biron and Leighton could have handled the load in what is a lost season anyway.

That said there's still zero reason to carry 3 goalies for the rest of the season.
on the flipside... does it really matter?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 02:49 PM
  #36
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
on the flipside... does it really matter?
I suppose it doesn't. It just doesn't really make much sense.

At this point, just play Biron as much as possible and determine if he can be the starter next season. If so, re-sign him. If not, don't re-sign him.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 03:04 PM
  #37
Trollo*
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 487
vCash: 500
i think we should dress 18 goalies for the rest of the season and see what happens.

Trollo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 04:53 PM
  #38
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,137
vCash: 500
The reason there are 3 goalies is because a deal with esche could not be worked out. Therefore, we were going to have 4. So leighton was in turn waived. Obviously they werent going to trade Niitty so that leaves them with 3. As for waiving Esche or something, there really isn't a point in doing that, and he's insurance incase Niitty gets surgery or maybe another injury. It really isn't a big deal.

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 08:26 AM
  #39
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
As for waiving Esche or something, there really isn't a point in doing that, and he's insurance incase Niitty gets surgery or maybe another injury. It really isn't a big deal.
Insurance for what? For the playoff run?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 09:16 AM
  #40
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I suppose it doesn't. It just doesn't really make much sense.

At this point, just play Biron as much as possible and determine if he can be the starter next season. If so, re-sign him. If not, don't re-sign him.
i just think that they don't want to waive Esche... it's a bit of a slap in the face to a player. there's no harm in keeping him around, and Biron is going to get the lion-share of the starts anyway.

i would expect a contract to happen with Biron in the not too distant future based on his quotes.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 10:29 AM
  #41
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
i just think that they don't want to waive Esche... it's a bit of a slap in the face to a player. there's no harm in keeping him around, and Biron is going to get the lion-share of the starts anyway.

i would expect a contract to happen with Biron in the not too distant future based on his quotes.
What's more of a slap in the face, to scratch him every game or to waive him so that another team could possibly claim him?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 10:50 AM
  #42
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
What's more of a slap in the face, to scratch him every game or to waive him so that another team could possibly claim him?
at this point he can't play in the playoffs anyway... let him stay in philly with his baby and wife for the rest of the season...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.