HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kevin Lowe coming up on Prime Time Sports (FAN 590 in Toronto)

Old
03-02-2007, 02:43 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post
Just watching the interview on prime-time sports on sportsnet

Didn't want to give No trade clause, but because of Smyth's popularity, he gave him one for the first time in organization's history

Admits from ''their side'' that not getting a deal done last summer may have affected them.

Smyth is a good player, but not elite.

We had a hard time coming up with a number on how much to pay him (paraphrasing), which is why it didn't get done last summer.

"We have our budget issues here in Edmonton.'' Immediately corrected himself ''our cap issues''

^ Just pissed me off.
He followed the hilited part with "he's just a 25 goal scorer"

Thought that was an interesting assessment of present ability.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 03:11 AM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer81383 View Post
It'll be much easier with 3 1st Round Picks this year and with all the assets we have, now won't it?!
I wouldn't see much need to move up. With 6 games at the end of the year on the road, we will be likely seeing a 6-10 draft pick.

This is our chance to stockpile even further assets. Perhaps use a few draft picks via trade.

I.e. Sullivan + 1st for Demitra type of deal.

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 04:25 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
I think trading for an RFA is most likely. Philly isn't in cap trouble this summer, but they may pass on matching an offer sheet to Pitkanen if they sign Timmonen and Forsberg. Other than that, I don't know if there's a quality RFA defenseman on a cap strapped team.
Maybe someone like a Perezhogin.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 04:28 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Third, everyone agreed to wait until after the season to have talks with regards to signing Ryan. Ryan wanted to remain in Edmonton, so I don't think he would have split. I think he would have done a Patrik Elias and stay. A deal could have been negotiated - especially when you consider that it was $100,000 that was the difference in talks. Lowe knew that Smyth had made sacrifices to the Oilers franchise over the years, always taking below market paydays with the promise that they would look after him in the future. Why wouldn't the Oilers just pony up the $100,000 difference?
Ryan Smyth has alluded to it being more than just a mere $100k

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 05:54 AM
OilerOlli*

I hope he signs an ufa, still would like at most if he signs Smyth in the summer, instead of trading prospects and our 1st round poicks for rfa's away.
And yeah, like another one said here, if we have a 7-10 pick at the end of teh season we also don't need to trade up for...

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:10 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
I think trading for an RFA is most likely. Philly isn't in cap trouble this summer, but they may pass on matching an offer sheet to Pitkanen if they sign Timmonen and Forsberg. Other than that, I don't know if there's a quality RFA defenseman on a cap strapped team.
They'll have to overpay for Pitkanen. IF, and that's a big if, Edmonton offers Pitkanen 4+ million a year, then I think you might see the Flyers walk away and take the compensation. Take it from someone who watched a lot of Flyers games - Pitkanen has been absolutely terrible this year. He really digressed in terms of his play. I don't think Lowe would invest 4+ million in a D man that's been terrible.

I think Lowe targets Brad Stuart, Chris Drury and Slava Kozlov. That's just my gut feeling.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote