HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Flames Sign Johnny Gaudreau and Bill Arnold

Old
04-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Bryanbryoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I thought both comparisons were ridiculous.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I didn't even know those comparisons were made with RNH to be honest, so I know I didn't

I only noticed the Gretzky one with Gaudreau because of who it came from. I usually don't pay any attention when I hear players compared to a guy like Gretz, Lemieux, Orr... etc. It's just too lofty of an expectation that gets attached to it.

Honestly I think Steve Sullivan may be the best comparable, but no one compares guys to a Steve Sullivan
Sullivan was quite a useful player, nothing wrong with that especially from a late round pick, that is a steal of a pick.

04-12-2014, 09:08 PM
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Fair enough.

Sullivan was quite a useful player, nothing wrong with that especially from a late round pick, that is a steal of a pick.
oh for sure, if he became Sullivan 2.0 I would be quite happy and that is along the lines of what I am hoping for. But we all know that when these kids come up the comparisons are to the elite players, not the very good ones even if the comparison is more apt.

Sullivan is also a good comparison because of size, he was only 5'9, 165. He wasn't built like St. Louis, he never played that bull in a china shop game like Fleury. Yet there he was making a living off amazing vision and hands.

100 Third Graders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 12:57 AM
Vip
In the clouds

Good for Calgary.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 01:09 AM
Reinhart

Read any scouting report on a prospect before or after the draft - especially the more skilled players - and they are always compared to present or past superstars.

It is a style comparison.

For instance, if I compare Gaudreau to Kent Nilsson, I am betting a good portion of this board will be scratching their heads. If I compare Gaudreau to Gretzky, most of this board will still remember Gretzky and how he played.

There is nothing wrong with comparing anyone's play style to a past or present superstar. It is NOT the same thing as saying: "Gaudreau will be as good as Gretzky." If you see a comparison, and assume that is what is being said, you have failed.

RNH was indeed compared to Gretzky's style - especially in the area of vision. I am a Calgary fan. Didn't irk me at all that RNH was being compared to Gretzky, and I didn't find it 'laughable'. It helped me to understand how good RNH's vision was like.

That is what a good comparison should do - help you to understand what a certain prospect is like in certain attributes - not to think "he is a clone and will be having the same career".

Also, nobody here in Calgary is proclaiming Gaudreau as a savior, a generational player, a superstar, or anything even close to that. Most fans are very excited since Gaudreau has created a lot of hype for himself the last couple of years, and we are all eager to see how that starts translating at the NHL level. We all know he can bust, we all know he can just be a 'mediocre' top 6 player, and we all know he could become a superstar. We are all just happy to see him and how he develops in the NHL. Nobody is thinking he is the next Gretzky.

Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 04:44 AM
FlamesFan18
Regression Obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhart View Post
Read any scouting report on a prospect before or after the draft - especially the more skilled players - and they are always compared to present or past superstars.

It is a style comparison.

For instance, if I compare Gaudreau to Kent Nilsson, I am betting a good portion of this board will be scratching their heads. If I compare Gaudreau to Gretzky, most of this board will still remember Gretzky and how he played.

There is nothing wrong with comparing anyone's play style to a past or present superstar. It is NOT the same thing as saying: "Gaudreau will be as good as Gretzky." If you see a comparison, and assume that is what is being said, you have failed.

RNH was indeed compared to Gretzky's style - especially in the area of vision. I am a Calgary fan. Didn't irk me at all that RNH was being compared to Gretzky, and I didn't find it 'laughable'. It helped me to understand how good RNH's vision was like.

That is what a good comparison should do - help you to understand what a certain prospect is like in certain attributes - not to think "he is a clone and will be having the same career".

Also, nobody here in Calgary is proclaiming Gaudreau as a savior, a generational player, a superstar, or anything even close to that. Most fans are very excited since Gaudreau has created a lot of hype for himself the last couple of years, and we are all eager to see how that starts translating at the NHL level. We all know he can bust, we all know he can just be a 'mediocre' top 6 player, and we all know he could become a superstar. We are all just happy to see him and how he develops in the NHL. Nobody is thinking he is the next Gretzky.
This. Seriously, I am more hyped on this kid than Monahan, Phaneuf or Baertschi. Why? Because he dominated at his junior level far more than they did, watching Johnny play was unreal. This is rare to see as a Flames fan, so of course we are stoked. His size for sure messes with his capabilities and I am more than prepared to see him bust. You just cant simply deny the talent he has...

FlamesFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 06:16 AM
The Sweetness

Awesome, so excited he is getting a chance in the NHL. My favourite prospect around in terms of entertainment value.

The Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 07:59 PM
BVicious

How bout for now we compare him to:

Gionta, St. Louis, Fluery and I guess Gerbe

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote