HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luke Schenn

Old
04-13-2014, 05:49 PM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

vCash: 500
This is kind of a lost year for Luke because his stamina is not up to last seasons 20+ minutes. If he can regain that, the Flyers will probably be happy to keep him.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 09:14 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

He's always just been worth a 2nd rounder. Only to Holmgren he is worth more....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 09:17 PM
Broad Street Elite

If you are trading Luke, you may as well include Brayden as well. I cannot imagine that you'd want to risk the bad blood associated with separating them, especially as Brayden enters his RFA negotiations.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 09:20 PM
chupanibre
Registirad Uzer

A whole thread dedicated to getting rid of Luke Schenn? Jeez...

But nah keep the guy, I don't even think he's bad. Now Grossman is bad. Make a thread about Grossman instead.

chupanibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 09:48 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupanibre View Post
A whole thread dedicated to getting rid of Luke Schenn? Jeez...

But nah keep the guy, I don't even think he's bad. Now Grossman is bad. Make a thread about Grossman instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
A second rounder would be fine, I guess. I want to see how he plays in the playoffs before anything.

I personally don't like him or Grossmann on this team, but I'd rather have L Schenn than Grossmann.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpinheiro4 View Post
Trade Grossmann before L.Schenn.
Indeed. L Schenn has been more successful this season in terms of ES goals allowed per 20 then Grossmann has. He also creates more offense. Grossmann does face tougher competition but he didn't last season.

Going forward it makes much more sense to keep Schenn. He's younger, creates more offense, costs the same, doesn't have the injury history and has shown he can be the better player overall.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 09:50 PM
Tankadelphia
In Hinkie We Trust

I am still incredibly angry about this trade, but he's still a solid 2nd/3rd pairing. I woulda hoped that he would be a first pairing since jvr is was the 2nd overall pick

Tankadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 11:15 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
If you are trading Luke, you may as well include Brayden as well. I cannot imagine that you'd want to risk the bad blood associated with separating them, especially as Brayden enters his RFA negotiations.
I'd imagine the two of them recognize that they're in a business and there's always a chance that one of them may be traded away from the other.

Flyersfan1493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 11:17 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
I'd imagine the two of them recognize that they're in a business and there's always a chance that one of them may be traded away from the other.
Maybe, but are you certain of it before you trade Luke and turn around to negotiate with Brayden? I'm not. It would be hard not to be a little ticked off at a franchise that acquires then drops your older brother; business or not.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 01:46 AM
achdumeingute

Yea let's trade Luke Schenn because we need less defensemen. Never mind we might lose 2 players in the coming offseason who have logged big minutes this year for us.

achdumeingute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 01:51 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Yea let's trade Luke Schenn because we need less defensemen. Never mind we might lose 2 players in the coming offseason who have logged big minutes this year for us.
read the original post then come back to us.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 06:08 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

He is still 24.... best years as a D man are still ahead of him.... right??!!??!!

Hopefully this offseason he loses 15 lbs and becomes quicker. That would change his game for the better I'd imagine.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 07:03 AM
Breeze 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Fly Guy View Post
Am I the only one who feels he's severely underrated? I mean he's not spectacular by any means but the way some people **** all over the guy is astounding. He's been pretty damn good. Makes some boneheaded plays but who doesn't? It almost seems like making fun of him is as predicable as making fun of flyers goaltending and the bully thing. Just lazy tired rhetoric. Watch the games. He's not bad at all. All you crying about JvR, we have 7 20 goal scorers....
You are dead on...once he's gone they'll complain of no shot blockers...nobody taking the body. Everybody wants the end to end d-man with a great shot and great passes to get out of the zone but those guys defensive game sucks. You can't have it both ways, and pretty sure everyone was on here whining about how JVR was ALWAYS hurt and couldn't be counted on to show up all the time...freak'in hypocrites.

Breeze 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 07:12 AM
Breeze 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb45 View Post
I am still incredibly angry about this trade, but he's still a solid 2nd/3rd pairing. I woulda hoped that he would be a first pairing since jvr is was the 2nd overall pick
Luke was the 5th pick , Stay at home D-men aren't what people want to see, just what teams need.

Breeze 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 07:13 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I liked luke Schenn last season. This season he looks slow. He has got to, yet again, lose weight to be more effective. Right now he is extremely slow. In todays NHL being slow is a bad thing. This is not pre lockout hockey which some people still dont understand. You NEED to be able to move on the backend to keep up with the shifty players. You dont need to even have offense, but I would be more satisfied with Luke Schenn if he improved his mobility just abit to stop getting beat 1 on 1 and he cut down of the boneheaded turnovers from the defensive end.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 07:28 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
He is still 24.... best years as a D man are still ahead of him.... right??!!??!!

Hopefully this offseason he loses 15 lbs and becomes quicker. That would change his game for the better I'd imagine.
Agreed..Luke needs to work on his skating and shed some weight...maybe Pronger can work with him..

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 07:47 AM
SmokesLetsGo

He's only 24, and underrated by the fanbase when he really is an average D-man as of late. His value is that he is young and has a high ceiling. Grossmann should be first to go IMO.

SmokesLetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 07:53 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

This is an honest question, when people say Luke is 24 with 5+ seasons of NHL experience and he is what he is at this point, why? Would he "be what he is" if he spent 3-4 seasons in juniors/AHL and was just called up a year ago? I just don't understand why his growth is stunted because he's always played at the top level, while we still have promise for a guy like Shayne Gostisbehere, who likely won't break onto the Flyers until 22/23 anyway.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:04 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokesLetsGo View Post
He's only 24, and underrated by the fanbase when he really is an average D-man as of late. His value is that he is young and has a high ceiling. Grossmann should be first to go IMO.
I must be missing something. Where exactly is this high ceiling?

He wasn't even considered to be a high ceiling guy when he was drafted.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:12 AM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
This is an honest question, when people say Luke is 24 with 5+ seasons of NHL experience and he is what he is at this point, why? Would he "be what he is" if he spent 3-4 seasons in juniors/AHL and was just called up a year ago? I just don't understand why his growth is stunted because he's always played at the top level, while we still have promise for a guy like Shayne Gostisbehere, who likely won't break onto the Flyers until 22/23 anyway.
What does that say about Sbisa? He has played mostly in the NHL as well and also struggles. Wouldn't many people say his growth has been stunted b/c he was rushed to the NHL? How many 24 year old d-men have over 400 NHL games played?

Playing five+ years in the NHL means the player has a lot of experience and been in many games. If there has been no growth or signs of consistency by now, when will that happen? At 500 games? 600 games? The chances of it happening are extremely slim IMO. LSchenn does not have the skills or hockey IQ to be a top pairing d-man. At best he will be a 2nd pairing. More than likely he is a 3rd pairing d-man though. I would absolutely love to be wrong about my view of him.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:45 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
What does that say about Sbisa? He has played mostly in the NHL as well and also struggles. Wouldn't many people say his growth has been stunted b/c he was rushed to the NHL? How many 24 year old d-men have over 400 NHL games played?

Playing five+ years in the NHL means the player has a lot of experience and been in many games. If there has been no growth or signs of consistency by now, when will that happen? At 500 games? 600 games? The chances of it happening are extremely slim IMO. LSchenn does not have the skills or hockey IQ to be a top pairing d-man. At best he will be a 2nd pairing. More than likely he is a 3rd pairing d-man though. I would absolutely love to be wrong about my view of him.
Being a healthy human and all, he can learn regardless of age or experience under his belt. No one expects him to be a top pairing guy. Holding him to that standard is ridiculous since nothing has indicated he could ever be that (unless you were actually listening to TO fans ). He's already a 3rd pairing guy, there is no reason he can't be a consistent 2nd pairing guy with time. We've all seen him play well enough, it's a matter of consistency. Again, having played 400 games while being 24 doesn't mean he can't learn to limit his mistakes/become more consistent.

Btw, I'm not of the opinion that 39 games as an 18 year old ruined Sbisa. That's just nonsense. It's been 5 years now since his time in Philadelphia, so even if playing in the NHL at a young age delayed his development, there is zero reason he couldn't recover from that.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:47 AM
MickeyMelchiondo

totally against moving L. Schenn, just no point to moving him really

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Fly Guy View Post
I was pointing out how having 7 20 goal scorers is proof JVR isn't a need for this team.
that does not prove what you think it might

MickeyMelchiondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:05 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post

Well I guess I just question why the amount of games played matters given that players at any level are playing a similar amount of games. Maybe I'm not explaining what I mean very well, but why is what we've seen from him the absolute ceiling? I mean, look at a guy like Zdeno Chara (NOT COMPARING THE TWO AT ALL.) He played his whole career in the NHL and has gotten better and better year after year to where he is today.

Again, to avoid any confusion and attempts to read what I said the wrong way, I am not saying Luke Schenn will transform into a Norris Trophy defenseman. But, I think it's incredibly unfair to say he won't improve AT ALL because he's got 400gp in the NHL.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 07:54 PM
DrHamburg

He has his fair share of bad plays but he isn't nearly as bad as people are making him out to be. Mez really dragged him down. The hate here for him is unbelievable

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 08:08 PM
lancer247

People can't separate trade from Schenn's play. People keep talking about his IQ but the kid had continued to cut down on his unforced errors as the season has moved on.

He has a nice outlet pass and a shot that gets through.

Hopefully he loses some wait and gains some mobility but there are plenty of good men that make it post lock out. I look at Dan Girardi and Schenn at 24 is way beyond what Girardi was even 5 - 6 years ago.

lancer247 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 08:12 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze 44 View Post
Luke was the 5th pick , Stay at home D-men aren't what people want to see, just what teams need.
That means very little at this point. Also, Toronto has a fairly terrible drafting record.