HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mission: Accomplished! Flyers - 4, Penguins - 3

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2014, 02:36 AM
cygnus47

vCash: 500
I don't think our PK is sustainable against playoff type games. We're passive and rely on blocking shots and keeping the shots to the outside as our only options. When a team has games to adjust, they will start to exploit it just as Philly has.

Old
04-13-2014, 03:29 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Gibbons would look a lot better if we had some actual size and toughness on this team to surround him, and not guys like Sutter who doesn't use his. He brings a lot of energy to this team. And unlike guys like Zolnierczyk and Conner, he can actually produce at this level. That said, he shouldn't be playing a second-line role.

I know plenty about the Blue Jackets. Johansen is a stud. The blueline is very solid, and quite deep. Bobrovsky has been stellar. They play a lot like the Pens do, in fact. And the size up front will be a load to handle, for sure.

The Pens have no business losing this series. But I wish you luck because a loss here might expedite changes around here.
Theoretically, yes. If Gibbons was on a line with Zajac and Chris Neal, you could hide him and get something out of him. But frankly, he's just not good enough to be working around. Or be in this league at 5'6 at all. I can't stand Sutter, but a player like him has far more value than a player like Gibbons.

You just concede too much ground with him. If he's marking Wayne Simmonds, which he was for much of today, you're short handed. And if Coburn's on him, chalk that up as a turnover. He's fast, but he's not fast enough to get out of stick range of a 6'5 guy when he has a stick that's about as long as the one I used when I was 11.

It's just mind boggling to me that anybody would praise him. Wow, look at Gibbons blow by that guy. Yeah well, did you watch five more seconds? Because the guy picked off his centering pass. One step isn't enough to get free with him.

Old
04-13-2014, 03:45 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
I thought you liked us DSL. You're breaking my heart.
Was a stupid post. My bad. Deserved a worse fate, so thanks to Jag and Rip.

Good luck, guys. I'll of course be rooting for whoever wins this one.

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassé: 04-13-2014 at 03:59 AM.
Old
04-13-2014, 07:49 AM
Correspondant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
It's ridiculous people still defend him. He's a repeat of past playoff performances away from being done here. He's been given more rope than he deserves.
I don't understand people cry of despair. Goalie mistakes are always upfront compared to many of skaters. **** happens, but it happens to everyone. Better it happens now, they're alert in p offs.

Old
04-13-2014, 08:20 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Theoretically, yes. If Gibbons was on a line with Zajac and Chris Neal, you could hide him and get something out of him. But frankly, he's just not good enough to be working around. Or be in this league at 5'6 at all. I can't stand Sutter, but a player like him has far more value than a player like Gibbons.

You just concede too much ground with him. If he's marking Wayne Simmonds, which he was for much of today, you're short handed. And if Coburn's on him, chalk that up as a turnover. He's fast, but he's not fast enough to get out of stick range of a 6'5 guy when he has a stick that's about as long as the one I used when I was 11.

It's just mind boggling to me that anybody would praise him. Wow, look at Gibbons blow by that guy. Yeah well, did you watch five more seconds? Because the guy picked off his centering pass. One step isn't enough to get free with him.
People praise Gibbons because he is one of the few Penguins who consistently make plays that lead to scoring chances. Yesterday was a perfect example. Did you miss the play when he had a takeaway and a lead pass that led to the 3 on 2 goal (secondary assist = Brian Gibbons)? We're all still waiting for Gibbons' numbers to drop off, but they actually seem to have improved since the last time this was brought up. Strange thing to happen for such a terrible player.

Old
04-13-2014, 08:22 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by radapex View Post
I stopped watching once the Flyers took the lead. I couldn't bring myself to actively cheer against the Pens, but I wanted the Flyers to win and lock up 3rd in the division.
You should really do yourself a favor and watch the highlights (previews?!?), especially the Pens' goals against.

Old
04-13-2014, 08:28 AM
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnus47 View Post
I don't think our PK is sustainable against playoff type games. We're passive and rely on blocking shots and keeping the shots to the outside as our only options. When a team has games to adjust, they will start to exploit it just as Philly has.
You mean like playing off the point men by 15 feet and putting zero pressure on anyone, anywhere?

Our PK set up is so easily beatable. We don't keep the crease clear. We put slugs like Adams and Glass who have zero foot speed up top.

I would punch Dan Bylsma in the face and take the fine and couple of days in jail. I figure the city of Pittsburgh would easily pay off any outstanding debt. He deserves to be beaten with a wooden shoe. It's that frustrating.

Old
04-13-2014, 08:56 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post

Good luck, DSL and CBJ fans. Hopefully many years of this for CBJ.

Old
04-13-2014, 08:56 AM
Newfy IceCapd

We actually cannot play the Flyers. They instantly get under Crosby's skin and we are ****ed.

Also, good to see you MAF. I hope he used that helmet last night to give himself some solid smacks in the head

Old
04-13-2014, 09:41 AM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
People praise Gibbons because he is one of the few Penguins who consistently make plays that lead to scoring chances. Yesterday was a perfect example. Did you miss the play when he had a takeaway and a lead pass that led to the 3 on 2 goal (secondary assist = Brian Gibbons)? We're all still waiting for Gibbons' numbers to drop off, but they actually seem to have improved since the last time this was brought up. Strange thing to happen for such a terrible player.
That, and he's infinitely more useful on the PK than Disco's usual 4-44-15-27 idiot box.

Old
04-13-2014, 10:02 AM
Jax1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNick View Post
We should have unloaded that guy after the Flyers series 2 years ago. It ain't getting better.

I blame Shero for not getting us a starter. Wasting Crosby and Malkin's best year with the worst goalie in the league isn't right.
He did. His name is Tomas Voukon.

Old
04-13-2014, 10:11 AM
Jax1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Pittsburgh has no fans, just a bunch of bandwagoners.
Yea, the past week I've never heard and seen so many road fans in Pittsburgh in the last 7 seasons.
Chicago, Detroit, and even Philly, did you see all the orange yesterday and the roar after the OT goal?

Old
04-13-2014, 10:13 AM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby View Post
Holy negativity, i didn't watch the game but it sounds like we lost 10-0 with the way you guys are talking. Be thankful you don't cheer for buffalo
Yeah, but some around here once did about 10 years ago.

The goal then was, 'don't embarrass yourselves, work and try to win a game, don't go on a losing streak, let kids play, ect, ect.'

Now the goal is Stanley Cup. That's it. Boom or bust. That's where this organization is at.

Old
04-13-2014, 10:17 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Priest View Post
Yeah, but some around here once did about 10 years ago.

The goal then was, 'don't embarrass yourselves, work and try to win a game, don't go on a losing streak, let kids play, ect, ect.'

Now the goal is Stanley Cup. That's it. Boom or bust. That's where this organization is at.
And rightfully so, right? We expected this with our generational talent.

Side note:

And lol at people talking about last nights fans. Pittsburgh fans travel everywhere. Get over that lame ass argument people.

Old
04-13-2014, 10:24 AM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

Side note:

And lol at people talking about last nights fans. Pittsburgh fans travel everywhere. Get over that lame ass argument people.
Yeah, I remember whenever the Pens would play Ottawa, New Jersey or Tampa Bay it was like an automatic thrashing. Scores always ended up something like 6-3 in favor of them. But I do recall the team working and trying. We just didn't have the talent to match the likes of those teams.

Old
04-13-2014, 10:33 AM
Pghkev
DUMP ADAMS

Just watched the game and I am disgusted. Giroux wasn't touched once and Crosby dealt with crap all day. Well done RAY!

Old
04-13-2014, 01:46 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post

No worries mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax1166 View Post
He did. His name is Tomas Vokoun.
You're not helping.

Quote:
Geez, yeah. Here in Montreal, only two fan bases ever get any traction with outside fans: Toronto and Boston. But I would say Pittsburgh's probably third on that list. There are more Pens fans cheering for the visitors at the Bell Centre than there are Ottawa Senators fans. Geographically speaking, that's impressive.

Old
04-13-2014, 02:54 PM
Jax1166

Quote:

Side note:

Who? Where and what are they saying?

Old
04-13-2014, 05:02 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
"Takeaway." That's rich.

What you're saying is that Gibbons had an awesome game because Wayne Simmonds tripped on his own feet in Gibbons' general vicinity which James Neal read and cheated for a 2 on 1. Gibbons is mindcontrolling Neal and using telekinesis on Simmonds' feet, I suppose.

Old
04-13-2014, 05:37 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I don't like how soft this team is. All night the Flyers were running Crosby, no answer. Flyers are telling Megna to keep his head up, no answer.

Why weren't the Pens targeting Giroux? Did anyone even make contact with Giroux all game? It's easier to get Crosby off his game when they're taking runs at him all night. Giroux could carry a couple of eggs in his pocket and wouldn't break them.
BGL gone, godard gone. that dirty matt cooke is gone
the fans that " dont want a guy that just fights" have been appeased

Old
04-13-2014, 06:07 PM
cygnus47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru Kitsune View Post
That, and he's infinitely more useful on the PK than Disco's usual 4-44-15-27 idiot box.
That completely changes the meaning of this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FcCLcxctXo

Old
04-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
BGL gone, godard gone. that dirty matt cooke is gone
the fans that " dont want a guy that just fights" have been appeased
Seems like even Engo doesn't really fight much anymore.

Old
04-14-2014, 06:40 AM
GrouperTrooper

I always thought it was more the Scary Gary's, Malone's, Rupp's and Ruutu's. No one is particularly scared of them, but they could play and can throw down. More importantly, if they're doing the heavy lifting Sid and Geno were free to play hockey. Malone never had a problem fighting after a guy took a run at some one. The 07-09 years were great...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru Kitsune View Post
Seems like even Engo doesn't really fight much anymore.

Old
04-14-2014, 07:05 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
playoff time - move on

Closed Thread