HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Henrik Lundqvist

Old
03-02-2007, 02:06 PM
bleedrngrblue

vCash: 500
There are alot of things I dislike about Brodeur, but thats because I'm a Ranger fan. The guy has capitalized on playing in a defensive system, but lets not pretend he isn't extremely talented, other goaltenders have played for the Devils with the same system, and not put up the numbers he has. That said, I think Lundqvist has a chance to be an elite goaltender, and we will know the deal in another season or two, barring any major injuries. Look, I loved Mike Richter, but no one can tell me that Henke isn't at the least, as good or better than him, and he won a Stanley cup, and had better defenders in front of him than Henke does now till the final few seasons.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Look, here's the deal. Let's put all cards on the table.

There's a reason why I think Lundqvist is a really interesting player. He's one of the very few goaltenders who has ever taken the step from another league directly into NHL level. He never took the step through AHL first, which probably each and every goaltender has done except a very, very few (among European goaltenders, it's almost unique). Granted, Rangers goalie situation was weak when Lundqvist arrived, but he quickly adapted to the smaller rink (which is harder for a goalie than a normal player).

His rookie season with a Vezina nomination and breaking several Rangers goalie records also confirmed Lundqvist truly deserved the spot to be a no.1 goaltender in a NHL franchise. He probably would have been rookie of the year as well in a season with a normal spread of skillful rookies. And he had to fight for it to remove Weekes from the no.1 spot for months, which was why many fans felt anger upon Weekes for playing instead of the clearly more skilled rookie backup, when they should have been angry on the coach instead. Renney wanted to nurse Lundqvist and give him time to adapt, but clearly Henke was already ready (nursing young players too long seems to be an ongoing theme in this organisation, although I can understand the philosophy, which is a more secure one).

I don't know exactly what you don't see in Lundqvist what many others do see. You regard him as a mediocre goaltender at best it seems, while I for example have great hopes for him. Look, he didn't play for my favourite team back in Sweden, I didn't even like him, but his play on the ice finally made me like him.

He has a good head, great mentality, good positioning skills and great lateral movement, which probably is his strongest trait. He has less weaknesses than many other goaltenders I've seen in this league.

Can you please explain to me what makes you so sure Lundqvist will never be an elite goaltender? Heck, he has had an excellent rookie season behind a mediocre defense and at least a very good second season behind an sometimes absolutely dreadful defense, his so called "sophomore season." He dominated everybody back in Sweden, even when the league was packed with NHL players and stars.

I don't claim Lundqvist will be an elite goaltender for sure, I'm just sure he has the potential to be one.

Each and every player on this team has the right to have a bad game once and then. But when we're talking about Lundqvist, he doesn't even seem to be granted to even have one bad goal. And no, ask any person with knowledge about goaltending what they think about the 2 shorthanded goals against Blue Jackets and if you can blame Lundqvist for not saving them. They weren't soft goals and that's a fact. This board has gone absolutely bananas after one pesky bad goal, when the focus at this time should be about the catastrophic 4 SH goals against in 2 games. That's a totally unacceptable team collapse in all aspects. Certain individuals are more guilty than others and it should certainly be corrected. But that's all Lundqvist's fault, right?

Good post, first off, I was happy that he played well last year but we have seen a lot of goaltenders have one good year and then fall into the abyss, thats why I thought this year was very important for Lundqvist and I can honestly say that I have been dissapointed in him, his stats are not horrible, especially for a 24 year old but there is something about him that makes me uneasy, at least when the 3rd period enters. He is like Stephon Marbury (or at least how Stephon used to be before this year), who could dominate a game for 3 quarters but you just knew that he would "choke" (for the lack of a better word) in the 4th.
Before the 3rd period started last night I said, Lundqvist has been solid but now we are in the 3rd and I am sure he will do something to make me mad at him again, and right on que he makes one of the biggest blunders I have seen. The importance of the game had my emotions run high and after calming down a bit I am not as furious with him as I was last night. But the problem remains, that I simply dont trust him in the 3rd, when we faced the Devils we where tied going into the 3rd twice, and each time I tought please let this be the game where he is the one who makes the big save and not Brodeaur but I was dissapointed on both occasions (not saying the goals where Lundqvists fault but part of being an elite goaltender is to make the huge saves late, not just the saves you are supposed to make).

I see him as a talented goalie, sure and he can improve but there is nothing about him that makes me think he will be an elite goaltender for years to come, can he be a good goaltender? Absoloutely, and if we didnīt have Montoya I would settle for that, but when I believe we have a goaltender who I think have the potential to be that elite goaltender I want to see him.

I hope Lundqvist proves me wrong as I have nothing against the guy otherwise, he seems like a humble, down to earth guy, hardworking guy who deserves success.

Kluivert4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 03:32 PM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
There are alot of things I dislike about Brodeur, but thats because I'm a Ranger fan. The guy has capitalized on playing in a defensive system, but lets not pretend he isn't extremely talented, other goaltenders have played for the Devils with the same system, and not put up the numbers he has. That said, I think Lundqvist has a chance to be an elite goaltender, and we will know the deal in another season or two, barring any major injuries. Look, I loved Mike Richter, but no one can tell me that Henke isn't at the least, as good or better than him, and he won a Stanley cup, and had better defenders in front of him than Henke does now till the final few seasons.
I get very uncomfortable comparing young goaltenders to possible Hall of Famers..I don't believe that Henrik and Mike Richter should even be in the same sentence yet..Maybe down the road..but not yet.

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 07:21 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Let's remove Lundqvist from the last 2 years. Where are we? Stop and think about that for a minute............

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Let's remove Lundqvist from the last 2 years. Where are we? Stop and think about that for a minute............
The word "Flyers" certainly comes to my mind.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 09:14 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Okay if we're oversimplifying by playing "what if," let's have some fun with it:

Let's say Lundqvist plays in last year's playoffs the same way he did the first two months of the season. Where are we? Stop and think about that for a minute.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 09:38 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
The word "Flyers" certainly comes to my mind.
The Flyers by and large make the playoffs.

03-03-2007, 07:13 AM
Madness

Playing for the Rangers is the best thing that could happen to Lundqvist. Want to know why?

Well because the Rangers is one of the worst teams in the NHL in terms of defensive awareness, so Lundqvist has to cover up for mistakes made by his teammates pretty much 10-20 times a game, mistakes that should never have happened in the first place. It has been a learning process that is still going on and when this process is over we will see a goalie that is able to carry a team. One can draw parallels between Luongo in FLA and Lundqvist i NYR. The biggest misstake the Rangers can do in the near feature is trading Lundqvist.

Lundqvist doesn't deserve this bashing, NYR fans will only be able to see how good he is when he plays for another team.

Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 07:18 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness View Post
Playing for the Rangers is the best thing that could happen to Lundqvist. Want to know why?

Well because the Rangers is one of the worst teams in the NHL in terms of defensive awareness, so Lundqvist has to cover up for mistakes made by his teammates pretty much 10-20 times a game, mistakes that should never have happened in the first place. It has been a learning process that is still going on and when this process is over we will see a goalie that is able to carry a team. One can draw parallels between Luongo in FLA and Lundqvist i NYR. The biggest misstake the Rangers can do in the near feature is trading Lundqvist.

Lundqvist doesn't deserve this bashing, NYR fans will only be able to see how good he is when he plays for another team.
He's going to be a career Ranger. That is until we Leetch him. Seriously though, I see your point, but Hank's is not going anywhere.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 07:44 AM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
I get very uncomfortable comparing young goaltenders to possible Hall of Famers..I don't believe that Henrik and Mike Richter should even be in the same sentence yet..Maybe down the road..but not yet.
I understand that, but I was just trying to make a point. HL plays behind possibly one of the weakest defenses in the NHL.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:11 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever View Post
Good post, first off, I was happy that he played well last year but we have seen a lot of goaltenders have one good year and then fall into the abyss, thats why I thought this year was very important for Lundqvist and I can honestly say that I have been dissapointed in him, his stats are not horrible, especially for a 24 year old but there is something about him that makes me uneasy, at least when the 3rd period enters. He is like Stephon Marbury (or at least how Stephon used to be before this year), who could dominate a game for 3 quarters but you just knew that he would "choke" (for the lack of a better word) in the 4th.
Before the 3rd period started last night I said, Lundqvist has been solid but now we are in the 3rd and I am sure he will do something to make me mad at him again, and right on que he makes one of the biggest blunders I have seen. The importance of the game had my emotions run high and after calming down a bit I am not as furious with him as I was last night. But the problem remains, that I simply dont trust him in the 3rd, when we faced the Devils we where tied going into the 3rd twice, and each time I tought please let this be the game where he is the one who makes the big save and not Brodeaur but I was dissapointed on both occasions (not saying the goals where Lundqvists fault but part of being an elite goaltender is to make the huge saves late, not just the saves you are supposed to make).

I see him as a talented goalie, sure and he can improve but there is nothing about him that makes me think he will be an elite goaltender for years to come, can he be a good goaltender? Absoloutely, and if we didnīt have Montoya I would settle for that, but when I believe we have a goaltender who I think have the potential to be that elite goaltender I want to see him.

I hope Lundqvist proves me wrong as I have nothing against the guy otherwise, he seems like a humble, down to earth guy, hardworking guy who deserves success.
All I'm going to say is I wouldn't judge ANY goaltender under the defense that we have now. How can you expect a goaltender to play at his best went he can't rely on his defense OR offense to get the job done day in and day out? Did you notice that almost all the games we lost in the defense completely collapsed in the third period? Just look at Luongo's stats while he played with Florida and look at them this season. Hmm, I wonder why the sudden change

From what I've seen he's been better than Miller, Dipietro, Lehtonen, you name it. What more do you want from a seventh round pick?

Anyway, I respect your opinion but I think in the long run you will be eating your words

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 06:38 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness View Post
What a load of crap. Ranger fans see perfectly well how good he is and his potential to be even better. Commenting on his play over the last handful of games is not the same as commenting on him as a player.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
All I'm going to say is I wouldn't judge ANY goaltender under the defense that we have now. How can you expect a goaltender to play at his best went he can't rely on his defense OR offense to get the job done day in and day out? Did you notice that almost all the games we lost in the defense completely collapsed in the third period? Just look at Luongo's stats while he played with Florida and look at them this season. Hmm, I wonder why the sudden change

From what I've seen he's been better than Miller, Dipietro, Lehtonen, you name it. What more do you want from a seventh round pick?

Anyway, I respect your opinion but I think in the long run you will be eating your words

Ok I started this and I want to END this.
Hank is a great goalie and is going to be a Ranger Legend in net.
The problem is he hasn't stolen games this year like we need him to. He has let insome soft ones lately and cause of the tension between being out of the playoffs and the fact our captain is a shoot out coward things have blown up. We all love Hank just want more from him right now

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:52 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Ok I started this and I want to END this.
Hank is a great goalie and is going to be a Ranger Legend in net.
The problem is he hasn't stolen games this year like we need him to. He has let insome soft ones lately and cause of the tension between being out of the playoffs and the fact our captain is a shoot out coward things have blown up. We all love Hank just want more from him right now
Well, the important games are ahead. Guess we'll just have to wait and see if he can pull through

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote