HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick & Puck being taken over by ********** wanting to play pick-up

Old
04-11-2014, 06:48 PM
scryan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyMe View Post
Like I said, there is a DEDICATED time slot for PU, if they wanna play 3v3 on 1/2 the ice while folks practice shooting/skating/sh, then fine.
That is 100% the case here for every post other than your own, including the OP who says they kids he is complaining about asked everyone if they wanted to play, an no one said they didn't.

Quote:
Just don't show up at ST and EXPECT that you can take the whole ice for a pu game, while people are there to practice stuff instead.
Literally no one has said that, every single post in this thread other than yours that mentions playing a game at stick time outright says they ask everyone if they want to or leave half ice for practice.

Not sure what this "Like I said" stuff is... especially when you say what everyone else in this thread is talking about is fine...

WRT "dedicated pickup before"... well not everyone can make every time slot, stick time may be cheaper, and really "against the rules" is the rinks worry... Don't get me wrong you need to be considerate that pickup is not the intent of that time slot... but if everyone wants a game and the rink isn't going to protest. This is why you need to speak up if you DONT. 99% of the time its not like the damn pickup kids are trying to ruin your fun, They asked because they legitimately wanted to know if it was OK with everyone before doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caps2Fan View Post
I think the more frustrating scenario is when there are two goalies (unbelievably rare), and one of them is a part of the half-ice pickup game and the other one is working on his positioning and doesn't want anyone shooting at him. I feel like those goalies should just set up a net along the boards near center ice and work on things there. Stick and pucks are weird, cliquish events at my rink.
Goalie with sticktime is a bit weird though. For one, at least around here we still have to pay... but the expectation is somewhat there that I am there for the shooters. Like If I go to stick time and stand in front of a net, some I WILL be shot at. For the most part that is fine, but think about if you went to stick time and when if you grabbed a puck someone WOULD skate past and attempt to steal it from you or poke it off your stick... Sometimes you want to go for practice, would get obnoxious if everytime you touched a puck the assumption was your job is to hold onto it, so everyone skating past should try and strip it from you. That is the expectation for goalies, we stop pucks and that must be why where in front of a net... That is why we are here.

Playing off on the side with no crease sucks. Its whatever if that is where the nets are setup, and we are messing around deal with it... but not having a crease, and not having any other lines to reference makes it a bit harder. If the goalie is trying to practice positioning, then he REALLY wants those cues to be part of that practice. He really wants a net, stuck into the ice with AT LEAST a crease... You typically cannot see the net, hard to position yourself in empty space.

That said, it is what it is, and I just about never step into a net without expecting to be shot at. It would be nice/helpful if I could get a net to myself and just practice going through positions... but its more fun to face shots anyways and people basically stop and sit around waiting for you to be ready again if your not taking shots, and that kinda sucks...

scryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 05:31 AM
SillyMe

Seriously?
Here is a quote from his original post:
" 90% of the time everyone agrees which leaves NO ice for me to just mess around before work. "

Not sure what you are reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryan View Post
That is 100% the case here for every post other than your own, including the OP who says they kids he is complaining about asked everyone if they wanted to play, an no one said they didn't.

Literally no one has said that, every single post in this thread other than yours that mentions playing a game at stick time outright says they ask everyone if they want to or leave half ice for practice.

Not sure what this "Like I said" stuff is... especially when you say what everyone else in this thread is talking about is fine...

WRT "dedicated pickup before"... well not everyone can make every time slot, stick time may be cheaper, and really "against the rules" is the rinks worry... Don't get me wrong you need to be considerate that pickup is not the intent of that time slot... but if everyone wants a game and the rink isn't going to protest. This is why you need to speak up if you DONT. 99% of the time its not like the damn pickup kids are trying to ruin your fun, They asked because they legitimately wanted to know if it was OK with everyone before doing it.

Goalie with sticktime is a bit weird though. For one, at least around here we still have to pay... but the expectation is somewhat there that I am there for the shooters. Like If I go to stick time and stand in front of a net, some I WILL be shot at. For the most part that is fine, but think about if you went to stick time and when if you grabbed a puck someone WOULD skate past and attempt to steal it from you or poke it off your stick... Sometimes you want to go for practice, would get obnoxious if everytime you touched a puck the assumption was your job is to hold onto it, so everyone skating past should try and strip it from you. That is the expectation for goalies, we stop pucks and that must be why where in front of a net... That is why we are here.

Playing off on the side with no crease sucks. Its whatever if that is where the nets are setup, and we are messing around deal with it... but not having a crease, and not having any other lines to reference makes it a bit harder. If the goalie is trying to practice positioning, then he REALLY wants those cues to be part of that practice. He really wants a net, stuck into the ice with AT LEAST a crease... You typically cannot see the net, hard to position yourself in empty space.

That said, it is what it is, and I just about never step into a net without expecting to be shot at. It would be nice/helpful if I could get a net to myself and just practice going through positions... but its more fun to face shots anyways and people basically stop and sit around waiting for you to be ready again if your not taking shots, and that kinda sucks...

SillyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Beezeral

Pick up games>>>>>>>>>>> practice time. If you are one of the few people who would rather practice on your own, it's on you to say something because the rest of us would rather play a game, rink rules be damned. Being passive aggressive about not wanting to play a pick up game is not how you solve the problem.

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Terry Yake

to me, playing in actual game situations is what makes you a better player. not shooting at an empty net for 2 hours

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yake View Post
to me, playing in actual game situations is what makes you a better player. not shooting at an empty net for 2 hours
I am going to be making a lot of assumptions in this post and I apologize in advance if it offends anyone.

My guess is that the guys who do not want to be playing in game situations are the guys who are less skilled then the other guys on the ice and would spend the majority of the game chasing the play and barely touching the puck. I could completely understand them not wanting to participate and working on their own to improve their game

Old
04-12-2014, 03:53 PM
redbranch

Quote:
Game situations are a great way to get your skills up to speed. But if the skills are below the game level significantly, its a hindrance, not a help.

You also need time to focus and spend time on specific skills, and build up the speed while doing them correctly.

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
I am going to be making a lot of assumptions in this post and I apologize in advance if it offends anyone.

My guess is that the guys who do not want to be playing in game situations are the guys who are less skilled then the other guys on the ice and would spend the majority of the game chasing the play and barely touching the puck. I could completely understand them not wanting to participate and working on their own to improve their game
And your assumptions are totally incorrect, at least as far as I'm concerned. I go to stick & puck occasionally to work on specific skills that don't naturally improve during the 3 or so games I play a week. Backwards crossovers, specific shot types and placement, breakaway moves, etc. No one gets enough touches during pickup or league games to effectively improve certain skills, even if you're the biggest d-bag puck hog in the world.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 05:59 PM
TieClark

Quote:

This sounds like a teenager who has played his whole life going to stick and puck with no regard for anyone else there really

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 06:30 PM
Canadiens1958

Civility

Basic civility is expected. Do not resort to stereotyping, unsupported assumptions, name-calling etc that only create negativity without solving anything.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 10:50 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
And your assumptions are totally incorrect, at least as far as I'm concerned. I go to stick & puck occasionally to work on specific skills that don't naturally improve during the 3 or so games I play a week. Backwards crossovers, specific shot types and placement, breakaway moves, etc. No one gets enough touches during pickup or league games to effectively improve certain skills, even if you're the biggest d-bag puck hog in the world.
fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
This sounds like a teenager who has played his whole life going to stick and puck with no regard for anyone else there really
I'm a goalie. I hate stick and puck sessions and never go because all that is going to happen is that everyone is going to immediately start peppering me with shots from every angle and not givie me a second to breathe. I prefer the structure of a pick up game because there is only one puck on the ice.

Old
04-13-2014, 12:30 AM
scryan

Quote:
Seriously?
Here is a quote from his original post:
" 90% of the time everyone agrees which leaves NO ice for me to just mess around before work. "

Not sure what you are reading.
Wait, what are you reading? He says that the guy asks for game instead and everyone agrees.

Ummm... The OP was there. If he disagrees then everyone does not agree 90% of the time. This means 90% of the time the OP agrees, then gets mad it happens.

What do you want from me there?

scryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 08:59 AM
SillyMe

I don't want anything from you.
We'll just agree that we disagree, and move on.

Have a good day.

SillyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 10:05 AM
goonx

Quote:
fair enough.

I'm a goalie. I hate stick and puck sessions and never go because all that is going to happen is that everyone is going to immediately start peppering me with shots from every angle and not givie me a second to breathe. I prefer the structure of a pick up game because there is only one puck on the ice.
stick and puck for a goalie..... is just weird.

goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 11:24 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonx View Post
stick and puck for a goalie..... is just weird.
it is completely worthless.

As soon as people see a goalie reach the ice, everyone's eyes light up and they don't even wait for me to finish stretching on the boards before they are asking me if they can shoot on me/practice breakaway/slapshots/whatever. Then I get in net and I see an average of 3 shots every 10 seconds and within 5 minutes I have been hit in the side/back/wherever because people don't have the common courtesy to let me square up to the next shooter after each shot.

So yeah, I much prefer a scrimmage format over stick and puck.

Old
04-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Terry Yake

Quote:
it is completely worthless.

As soon as people see a goalie reach the ice, everyone's eyes light up and they don't even wait for me to finish stretching on the boards before they are asking me if they can shoot on me/practice breakaway/slapshots/whatever. Then I get in net and I see an average of 3 shots every 10 seconds and within 5 minutes I have been hit in the side/back/wherever because people don't have the common courtesy to let me square up to the next shooter after each shot.

So yeah, I much prefer a scrimmage format over stick and puck.

i've never been to a stick time where there was a goalie there but to me that would be completely pointless for the goalie. you'd just have people practicing breakaways on you for an hour

Old
04-13-2014, 11:50 AM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
this is simply not true

when you are in a 'game situation' ie. scrimmage you resort to your strengths and skills that are required in a given situation

you just don't have the time to repeat a specific skill dozens of times in order to get it down right

if what you are saying is true, pro and junior teams would never practice, outside of team scrimmages

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Terry Yake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
this is simply not true

when you are in a 'game situation' ie. scrimmage you resort to your strengths and skills that are required in a given situation

you just don't have the time to repeat a specific skill dozens of times in order to get it down right

if what you are saying is true, pro and junior teams would never practice, outside of team scrimmages
obviously if you're a beginner or just starting to play then it won't help to play in a game without first working on the basics

practicing by taking part in drills and focusing solely on skating is obviously going to make you a better player regardless of skill level but going to a stick time and shooting on a net for an hour won't. playing in a game situation forces a player to do the things that really matter (keeping your head up, playing on the boards, positioning) all while keeping up with the speed of a real game. you can't work on those things at a stick time and expect to get better without having to do it in a scrimmage or real game

Old
04-13-2014, 01:54 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Scrimmage and pickup are fine and dandy, but that's not what S&p is really for.

I go to S&p because I need to work on something. Skating, passing, whatever drill I had trouble with last practice.

I don't mind when a scrimmage breaks out on one end, but it bugs me when I'm working on backwards crossovers in the neutral zone because both ends are taken up by two different scrimmages - and then I have to worry about getting plowed over because the scrimmages keep spilling over to the neutral zone.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 02:01 AM
Greasy Sliders

Personally I'd take pick up over stick time every day. For me at least I'm not too afraid to try something in shinny and mess up.

Pick up develops game sense, if all you do is practice on skills you could turn into an all the tools/no toolbox guy.

That's just my opinion

Greasy Sliders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 08:59 AM
redbranch

that's why places have both, no?
I like pickup, and I like s&p, both for different reasons.

I want to isolate a couple things and just work them? S&p

I want to put those tools to work? pickup

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote