HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SERIES DISCUSSION: Metro Division Semifinals | Pittsburgh vs. Columbus | Game 2 Sat.

Old
04-14-2014, 09:18 AM
cheesedanish87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
but the completely outmatched hockey team in front of him might cause a problem
Yeah, that's why the pens should win the series, they have an advantage in every area of the series except goal tending.

cheesedanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:19 AM
metalan2

I wonder Malkins status.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:20 AM
Joejosh999

Added pressure for MAF

Quote:
what about Vokoun?

and yes, I'd swap them. I said I expect the Jackets to get better goaltending several times now.
The presence of TV will not help MAF, he seems better when he is not threatened by a backup.

I'd have a hard time believing we'd toss TV into the playoffs with so little work though, MAF would have to implode.

Of course, that has happened before!

Joejosh999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:21 AM
WhatsaMaatta

Quote:
what about Vokoun?

and yes, I'd swap them. I said I expect the Jackets to get better goaltending several times now.
Can Vokoun be trusted at this point? He missed all year then played 1 game in the minors. There just isn't much room for error in the playoffs.

I will say, if you want to test Vokoun in the playoffs, you have to test him early. Playing him is a risk, but it's less of a risk against Columbus than against Boston.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:23 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsaMaatta View Post
Can Vokoun be trusted at this point? He missed all year then played 1 game in the minors. There just isn't much room for error in the playoffs.

I will say, if you want to test Vokoun in the playoffs, you have to test him early. Playing him is a risk, but it's less of a risk against Columbus than against Boston.
all of our goalies are a risk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejosh999 View Post
The presence of TV will not help MAF, he seems better when he is not threatened by a backup.
what are you basing this on?

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:28 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
I wonder Malkins status.
No practice today, so probably no updates

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Vokouna Maattata
Save us, Beau!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
MAF has been awful in the playoffs, you just can't defend MAF and his playoff performance.

As far as BOB goes, he didn't become an elite goal tender til he got traded to CBJ, his playoff stats for the flyers means nothing, hes a completely different goal tender now.

BOB played in the biggest games he will ever play in his life when he played in Russia for the Olympics, he played good, the playoff pressure isn't going to bother him.
I'm not defending Fleury whatsoever, he's a trash playoff goalie and he needs to be replaced. However, Bob has never shown to be the same goalie that he is in the regular season. You can't say that Bob is a Vezina candidate as support to why he'd do well in the playoffs. If that were true, Fleury would never have any playoff troubles.

I'll make a bet here. Fleury will have better stats than Bob in the 1st round this year. Anyone willing to take me up on that?

Vokouna Maattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:38 AM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vokouna Maattata View Post
I'm not defending Fleury whatsoever, he's a trash playoff goalie and he needs to be replaced. However, Bob has never shown to be the same goalie that he is in the regular season. You can't say that Bob is a Vezina candidate as support to why he'd do well in the playoffs. If that were true, Fleury would never have any playoff troubles.

I'll make a bet here. Fleury will have better stats than Bob in the 1st round this year. Anyone willing to take me up on that?
no. i think fleury will have better stats than bob after round 1.

conversely, would you rather have bob or fleury as the pens goalie headed into the playoffs?

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:41 AM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Quote:

Yes.

04-14-2014, 09:42 AM
cassius

Trusting Fleury to play well in the post-season... its like trusting someone to not drink and drive after they've wrecked 4 cars and racked up 4 DUI's within the last 4 years

It requires a huge leap of faith

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:44 AM
Wes C Addle
Mookie Blaylock

Quote:
Don't take your guns to town son, leave your guns at home Bill.

Wes C Addle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:47 AM
cassius

I wish I could say otherwise, but I definitely see this matchup coming down to goaltending.

Bob is going to stand on his head and probably single-handingly keep the CBJ's in this, despite a wide disparity in shots on net / time of possession.

Wouldn't be surprised if it goes to 7. I have little to no confidence, even with the 2 best players in the world, that we will be able to put more than 2-3 pucks in the net each game. And why should I?

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:49 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Last time I checked, .840 is lower than .900. I could be wrong though
Wow you're delusional. He's played in 7 playoff games all of which were before his trade to CBJ and rise in stardom. He's still largely an unproven goaltender, but using a 7 game playoff sample size compared to Fleury's 80 games is ridiculous.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:56 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:

It depends what you define as stats. I'll take Bob's SV% over Fleury. GAA I think will be Fleury because Columbus doesn't have the offense.

Old
04-14-2014, 09:56 AM
Vokouna Maattata
Save us, Beau!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Wow you're delusional. He's played in 7 playoff games all of which were before his trade to CBJ and rise in stardom. He's still largely an unproven goaltender, but using a 7 game playoff sample size compared to Fleury's 80 games is ridiculous.
Fine, instead of using playoff stats, use head to head stats vs the Pens. That paints a marginally better picture. Any way you look at it, Bob has not done well against the Pens or in the playoffs.

Vokouna Maattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:04 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

This discussion is all academic anyway. We'll find out soon enough how well he does or does not play.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:05 AM
OilerPensfan94
THE OILERS RADIO!!!!

vCash: 3742
Quote:

Yes, I think he can finally do well.

OilerPensfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:08 AM
radapex

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
I wish I could say otherwise, but I definitely see this matchup coming down to goaltending.

Bob is going to stand on his head and probably single-handingly keep the CBJ's in this, despite a wide disparity in shots on net / time of possession.

Wouldn't be surprised if it goes to 7. I have little to no confidence, even with the 2 best players in the world, that we will be able to put more than 2-3 pucks in the net each game. And why should I?
The biggest thing I see is that this is actually a favourable matchup for Fleury. Here are his career numbers against opponents by sv%:

Code:
1. Calgary, .937, 1.81 GAA, 5-1-0
2. San Jose - .932 sv%, 2.51 GAA, 2-2-2
3. Columbus - .931 sv%, 2.18 GAA, 6-1-1
4. Los Angeles - .927 sv%, 2.26 GAA, 4-2-0
5. St Louis - .927 sv%, 2.26 GAA, 3-4-1
7. Boston - .922 sv%, 2.31 GAA, 11-6-3
8. Dallas - .921 sv%, 2.10 GAA, 6-1-0
10. Colorado - .918 sv%, 2.26 GAA, 6-2-0
11. Chicago - .918 sv%, 2.60 GAA, 5-2-2
15. NY Islanders - .915 sv%, 2.51 GAA, 19-7-3
17. Anaheim - .913 sv%, 2.24 GAA, 6-2-0
20. Tampa Bay - .911 sv%, 2.39 GAA, 15-10-3
21. NY Rangers - .911 sv%, 2.69 GAA, 26-14-8
23. Detroit - .905 sv%, 2.93 GAA, 5-5-1
25. Philadelphia - .901 sv%, 2.85 GAA, 24-15-2
26. Ottawa - .897 sv%, 3.30 GAA, 10-9-1
27. Montreal - .892 sv%, 3.17 GAA, 16-9-3
28. Toronto - .891 sv%, 3.14 GAA, 14-9-3
29. Minnesota - .853 sv%, 3.76 GAA, 0-5-0
To summarize, here are his opponents since winning the Stanley Cup...

2012-13:
Boston - Career: 7/29, Season: 13/14
NY Islanders - Career: 15/29, Season: 12/14

2011-12:
Philadelphia - Career: 25/29, Season: 23/26

2010-11:
Tampa Bay - Career: 20/29, Season: 14/26

2009-10:
Montreal - Career: 27/29, Season: 12/26
Ottawa - Career: 26/29, Season: 11/26

TLDR; The numbers against each opponent perfectly predicted what kind of goaltending to expect from Fleury. If that trend continues, then he's in for a great series against Columbus.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:08 AM
WhatsaMaatta

How awesome is it to have Letang and Martin back? Those two are so clearly head and shoulders above the rest of the group. Letang has made a couple glaring mistakes defensively, but has looked much better than his previous return. This team just needs him to remember to play a sound positional game and provide the same level of offense.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:10 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Fine, instead of using playoff stats, use head to head stats vs the Pens. That paints a marginally better picture. Any way you look at it, Bob has not done well against the Pens or in the playoffs.
Right but that's not what you were saying. You tried to make a comparison that Bob is a worse playoff goalie than Fleury, which is not a relevant argument to make since the data just isn't there.

Old
04-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
And after they beat Columbus, all we're going to hear is how awesome this team is and how great of a coach Bylsma is.
I'm looking forward to posters posting Bob's reg season stats as "proof" that the Pens had a successful PO after they get **** on by the Flyers!

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:25 AM
SEALBound

Serious Fleury question here. What the extent of his sports psychology sessions? Have they been on going or was it a one time deal? Was it serious or was it like a celebrity "checking in to rehab" and now all is magically good? If I'm Shero and Bylsma andLemieux I'd have Fleury seeing the shrink every day bbefore the playoffs. Then every available off day at home. Once in theoff season is not enough.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 11:18 AM
Joejosh999

All I heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Serious Fleury question here. What the extent of his sports psychology sessions? Have they been on going or was it a one time deal? Was it serious or was it like a celebrity "checking in to rehab" and now all is magically good? If I'm Shero and Bylsma andLemieux I'd have Fleury seeing the shrink every day bbefore the playoffs. Then every available off day at home. Once in theoff season is not enough.
...and it was probably from Rossi, so who knows....

But after the PHL series he was politely told to get his ***** together and go see a shrink, and he politely said Thanks but No Thanks.

After last year, it wasn't a request anymore. He did go see somebody, no idea if that is still ongoing.
Also Meloche was canned in favor of a new coach (name I cannot recall) though MAF has spoken of him positively. Sort of. IMO he sounded like the guy is helpful but didn't seem overwhelmed by how're great he was. It was sort of odd.

And to be clear, IMO Fleury has looked more solid this year, less subject to flailing, better able to use depth well and stay on angles.

Which means absolutely zero of course,starting Wednesday.

Joejosh999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 11:35 AM
radapex

vCash: 50
Quote:

But after the PHL series he was politely told to get his ***** together and go see a shrink, and he politely said Thanks but No Thanks.

After last year, it wasn't a request anymore. He did go see somebody, no idea if that is still ongoing.
Also Meloche was canned in favor of a new coach (name I cannot recall) though MAF has spoken of him positively. Sort of. IMO he sounded like the guy is helpful but didn't seem overwhelmed by how're great he was. It was sort of odd.

And to be clear, IMO Fleury has looked more solid this year, less subject to flailing, better able to use depth well and stay on angles.

Actually, I believe it was straight from Shero's mouth in a press conference. He said that it was a request they made before that Fleury had declined, but this time they "insisted" he go.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 11:38 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:

Fleury finished the season with a lower overall SV% (.915 vs .916) and EVSV% (.917 vs .927) than last year. Whatever improvements you think you saw didn't exactly translate into an improvement in his overall performance.

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote