HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Barry Trotz out as coach - Hired in Washington

Old
04-14-2014, 11:41 AM
iKiwi

vCash: 500
sad day for sure but this was the time to do it..

Now Laviolette please

iKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 11:42 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
My guess is that he's with the Jets before the end of the week.
I think that's the only team he would leave for. Will be terrible to play against him in the division. Those will definitely be hard games to win.

Preds33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 11:44 AM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Kind of odd that they didn't list David Poile's name in the first line of the press release. Maybe it is just wishful thinking that he won't be brought back either....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Poile next?
It sounds like Poile is safe:

Quote:
"We thank Barry for his many contributions to the Predators organization" Chairman of the Predators ownership group Tom Cigarran said in a press release. "Barry is an exceptional person and coach. We wish him the very best going forward. We also have great confidence in David Poile's plan. We support this decision, and believe change is necessary if we are to reach our goals."

PredaDORES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 11:44 AM
Top 6 Spaling

I'm just excited for ILILI's awesome post about this.

For real though, nothing but good vibes headed Barry's way. By all accounts he was a hell of a guy to have in the city, and did so much for the organization. Best of luck in whatever comes next. I am very happy about this as a hockey move and deeply sad about it as a people move.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 12:00 PM
hockeydude1
More Cowbell!

He was a great coach for you guys. He will probably find a new job soon. As will the Predators for a new coach. Hope the best for you all!

hockeydude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 12:03 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Trotz had a great habit of doing a lot with a little, but he did a little with a lot this year. After all the money that got spent in the off-season, it was unacceptable for this team to miss the playoffs. There had to be accountability. Last year, it was Horachek; this year, it's Trotz; next year, it could be Poile.

While Trotz has certainly had a fantastic run in Nashville, it was time to move on, and I'm eager to see who the new coach will be.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Preds33

Whatever they do, they might as well blow the team up at this point. The new coach will be here maybe 2 years before being shown the door.

Old
04-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Trotz had a great habit of doing a lot with a little, but he did a little with a lot this year. After all the money that got spent in the off-season, it was unacceptable for this team to miss the playoffs. There had to be accountability. Last year, it was Horachek; this year, it's Trotz; next year, it could be Poile.

While Trotz has certainly had a fantastic run in Nashville, it was time to move on, and I'm eager to see who the new coach will be.
Come on. It isn't like they went out and bought Crosby. Poile should be the one to blame for blowing some much cash on the turds he did. The only reason those players came here was because they couldn't get a job elsewhere.

Old
04-14-2014, 12:07 PM
gratefulpred
Thread Killer

Good Luck Coach!

Please don't kick our butts too hard first time you come back to see us!

gratefulpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 12:08 PM
maxpenguins6630

Real bad decision. I mean what Trotz did with this team over the years is awesome ! Nashville out of the playoff picture with only 24 games of Pekka Rinne in net ? Amazing... 7-1-2 over the last 10, his voice was still out there with the players. No one in Nashville has done a bad job. They are a budget team... They don't have any impact forwards... They lost Suter a couple of years ago... This guy like Tippett in Phoenix is the reason they are that close to the playoffs.

maxpenguins6630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 12:08 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Come on. It isn't like they went out and bought Crosby. Poile should be the one to blame for blowing some much cash on the turds he did. The only reason those players came here was because they couldn't get a job elsewhere.
Surely you don't believe that....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 12:10 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpenguins6630 View Post
Real bad decision. I mean what Trotz did with this team over the years is awesome ! Nashville out of the playoff picture with only 24 games of Pekka Rinne in net ? Amazing... 7-1-2 over the last 10, his voice was still out there with the players. No one in Nashville has done a bad job. They are a budget team... They don't have any impact forwards... They lost Suter a couple of years ago... This guy like Tippett in Phoenix is the reason they are that close to the playoffs.
The owners keep telling us they will spend the money. According to Trotz, the free agents they signed this offseason were the ones he and Poile targeted, not just Poile, but Trotz and Poile.

Hendrix and Nystrom have Trotz written all over them.

Old
04-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post

That better be the case if the team doesn't make the playoffs, I still go back to that article a few days after our free agency spend fest on secondary talent who'll still be on the team next season

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 12:13 PM
azaloum90

Man, tough loss for you guys. Only yesterday you guys were contending in the semi finals. Best of luck.

Do you guys have any idea who comes on as the new head coach? I know Peter Laviolette is available, Noel is around (yuck), Ralph Kruger from Edmonton last year, etc...

theres also Torts

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 12:14 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd still bet on Housley being the next coach. Poile loves to promote from within and loves all things USA Hockey.

Old
04-14-2014, 12:16 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Surely you don't believe that....
I may have exaggerated some, but seriously blaming this on Trotz. Is it Trotz's fault that Poile signed a back up goalie who really had no experience and took over half the year to get coached into a decent goalie? Is it Trotz's fault that Pekka went down and that backup goalie had to become the starting goalie? Trotz came within a game and a half of making the playoffs with this sub-par group of forwards.

Poile signed those players who were for the most part crap this season. For those talking crap about how Weber was invisible the first 2-3 months, well Cullen was invisible until mid March, Stalberg was invisible all year. Hendricks was so invisible minus his penalties that he was sent packing in January. And then we have Nystrom, the only real positive note of the off season, but then this because questionable when Poile extended Clunes contract.

Poile should have brought in 1 FA forward and then let the kids in Milwaukee that were ready come up and play.

Old
04-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Preds33

Quote:
The owners keep telling us they will spend the money. According to Trotz, the free agents they signed this offseason were the ones he and Poile targeted, not just Poile, but Trotz and Poile.

Hendrix and Nystrom have Trotz written all over them.
Last time I checked the HC doesn't hand out contracts. The GM should have listened but hired who he thought would really help the team.

Old
04-14-2014, 12:20 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Whatever they do, they might as well blow the team up at this point. The new coach will be here maybe 2 years before being shown the door.
You are exactly right. Who ever the new coach is will be here two years or less. There is no way this team as it stands can undergo a complete system change with the current roster. If they blow it up it will take two years to get back to playoffs minimum. Its going to be painful, Change is here now just have the stomach to see it through.

Byrddog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 12:25 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
I'd still bet on Housley being the next coach. Poile loves to promote from within and loves all things USA Hockey.
Im with you on this it just makes it awkward for Lane Lambert who has been here longer.

Good move by the org, announcing it now so Barry has his pick of the job openings that will be coming up. its also indicative that this decision has been made for a while now.

raises a few very interesting questions, though... right around the time this all started leaking out is when the team found another gear... was this a sign of remorse from the team for not playing better/harder all year, or had the players been holding back to try to torpedo Trotz? I seriously doubt the latter but it sure seems odd that we became world beaters as soon as it became known that he was out..

second, if Trotz knew he was on the way out, is his treatment of MDZ a subtle "FU" to Poile?? because if MDZ doesnt pan out Poile looks pretty silly having wasted Klein getting him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
You are exactly right. Who ever the new coach is will be here two years or less. There is no way this team as it stands can undergo a complete system change with the current roster. If they blow it up it will take two years to get back to playoffs minimum. Its going to be painful, Change is here now just have the stomach to see it through.

this is exactly why I forsee Housley taking over.. it wont be a completely new system... the defensive side of things at least will be unchanged.. remember Poile gave Horacek the bums rush so that we wouldnt miss out on Housley as an assistant... i just dont see Poile bringing in an all new staff

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 12:27 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Last time I checked the HC doesn't hand out contracts. The GM should have listened but hired who he thought would really help the team.
GM and coach have to work together to be a successful team, in any sport, in any league. Players and systems have to match-up.

Old
04-14-2014, 12:30 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
I could see it, but maybe in this scenario he finally goes slightly outside of his comfort zone. But only slightly. Lavy being involved in USA Hockey as well could be a good compromise.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 12:31 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
I just could not disagree with this more- whoever the new coach is, he is going to have great talent on defense (quite possibly could be the most talented d in the whole NHL the next 2-3 year). Also set at goaltender IF Pekka returns to his old form (a big if at this point I admit).

But who exactly on on this team can't stand or undergo a system change?? If anything, some of the young talent we have at forward NEED A SYSTEM CHANGE. Smith, Wilson, Forsberg, Jarnkrok, heck even Stalberg- you think those guys are best suited for a Trotz-like system??? I think its just the opposite- a system change could be just what many of our forwards need............

We absolutely do NOT need to blow it up...........

drwpreds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 12:34 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
I just could not disagree with this more- whoever the new coach is, he is going to have great talent on defense (quite possibly could be the most talented d in the whole NHL the next 2-3 year). Also set at goaltender IF Pekka returns to his old form (a big if at this point I admit).

But who exactly on on this team can't stand or undergo a system change?? If anything, some of the young talent we have at forward NEED A SYSTEM CHANGE. Smith, Wilson, Forsberg, Jarnkrok, heck even Stalberg- you think those guys are best suited for a Trotz-like system??? I think its just the opposite- a system change could be just what many of our forwards need............

We absolutely do NOT need to blow it up...........
Totally agree.

I see the big picture too.

I also think this is Poile's last stand too, it's playoffs or bust for him next year like it was for Barry this year.

Old
04-14-2014, 12:35 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Totally agree.

I see the big picture too.

I also think this is Poile's last stand too, it's playoffs or bust for him next year like it was for Barry this year.
Is that playing musical chairs with head coaches over the next 5 years?

Old
04-14-2014, 12:39 PM
Byrddog

I agree its Poiles last stand. We will see by Jan. if the team has the right stuff. May see it before opening day. How much change will be determined by who is behind the bench.

Byrddog is online now   Reply With Quote