HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chuck Kobasew Recalled

Old
04-13-2014, 03:17 PM
NeedleInTheHay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Stanley View Post

Someone finally said it, there is NOTHING wrong with this, he's depth, If people seriously think he will be in the lineup, think about these 2 things first.

1. Why did Ray Shero put him on waivers? When a GM does that to a player like Kobasew, they generally don't care if they lose him on waivers.

2. Why did Ray Shero go out and acquire Lee Stempniak, and have Gibbons and Megna on the roster over Chuck Kobasew?

I'm not 100% on this, but I don't think Kobasew will play unless he needs to (example, numerous winger injuries)
Yep, I highly highly doubt he plays in the playoffs unless there are more injuries.

NeedleInTheHay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 03:22 PM
JimmyTwoTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleInTheHay View Post
Yep, I highly highly doubt he plays in the playoffs unless there are more injuries.
So expect him to suit up game 3

JimmyTwoTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 03:23 PM
Honour Over Glory

People doubting him playing in the playoffs have been a fan of this team for how long exactly?

Let me (re)introduce you to Bylsma, Dan.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 03:28 PM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

Kobasew went from the first line to a healthy scratch (and back again?), I put nothing past Bylsma.

vabm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 03:32 PM
specialized

I just threw up in my mouth...

specialized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 03:35 PM
madinsomniac

I am not panicking over this move yet, but I reserve the right to panic based on the game 1 lineup. Kobesew, when healthy and used right, can be an ok player... now we have never seen that from him on this team, for obvious reasons... but still....

madinsomniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Kobachoo is Legend. He can help us get to where we need to be.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 03:50 PM
JimmyTwoTimes

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/ar.../t-881758.html

JimmyTwoTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 04:44 PM
radapex

vCash: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Playoff roster being filled out. Remember it's more than the usual 22/23 guys, now.
Roster limit goes away after the trade deadline, but salary cap stays in place. Once regular season is over, salary cap goes away too.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 04:51 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
perfect...

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 04:55 PM
66-30-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorScholar View Post
Go bump that thread. Times have changed, Kobasew is not what he used to be.

66-30-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 06:03 PM
cygnus47

So we can expect Vitale and Megna to remain out of the lineup now. Too inexperienced for the playoffs anyway /DB

cygnus47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 06:21 PM
Dupree13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleInTheHay View Post
Some of you are being serious drama queens.
The Bylsma/Shero hate has officially reached ludicrous, irrational levels.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:55 AM
BayouCityPen
BTR-ATL Pen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
The Bylsma/Shero hate has officially reached ludicrous, irrational levels.

Glad others are noticing this. If the man went to take a dump, they would probably be analyzing which hand he used to wipe!

BayouCityPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 03:11 PM
Freeptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Kobasew isn't eligible to play for the Baby Pens in the playoffs, so I don't know what anyone was expecting here.
Why wouldn't he be? He was on the WBS roster at the trade deadline, which was the requirement for him to be eligible for the AHL playoffs this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I think it's a dumb rule. If the player is still AHL eligible, why not be able to continue playing in the AHL playoffs? And even if he isn't AHL eligible, why not be able to waive a guy and have them play in the AHL playoffs? Having more talent in the AHL helps the development of prospects.

There's too much emphasis on winning in lower leagues, imo. It's about development first and foremost.
Which is precisely why that rule exists. Otherwise NHL teams that missed the playoffs could send down their NHL players to the AHL once the regular season ended, thus making a total mockery of the AHL playoffs. Instead of being a time to develop prospects in the AHL playoffs, it would be a bunch of NHL players running over AHL players on their way to a Calder Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican Peach Pen View Post

Glad others are noticing this. If the man went to take a dump, they would probably be analyzing which hand he used to wipe!
And that's only after they parsed his statement about taking a dump to wonder if it was a freudian slip about sending the team into the toilet.

Freeptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeptop View Post
Which is precisely why that rule exists. Otherwise NHL teams that missed the playoffs could send down their NHL players to the AHL once the regular season ended, thus making a total mockery of the AHL playoffs. Instead of being a time to develop prospects in the AHL playoffs, it would be a bunch of NHL players running over AHL players on their way to a Calder Cup.
Nonsense. You still need to place an NHL regular on waivers in order to send him down. So, no team would risk losing a player for that reason alone.

However, the likes of Jayson Megna and Brian Gibbons, they should be allowed to play in the AHL playoffs. It keeps guys playing in your system longer in case your big club is out early (and in case the players in question don't get picked for the World Championships).

If Tristan Jarry and Derrick Pouliot get knocked off in the WHL playoffs, don't we want to see them in the 'A' at season's end?

I assume their names were put on the Clear Day roster, but I am not sure. Still, you can't put every name down on the Clear Day roster, and that's dumb imo.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 04:14 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Despres should be down there playing, honestly

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 05:05 PM
#1GuinFan

vCash: 82615
I thought he played ok last night, but it was a nothing game for both teams so doesn't mean much

#1GuinFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 11:19 PM
Zen Arcade
Seen Spaling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeptop View Post
Why wouldn't he be? He was on the WBS roster at the trade deadline, which was the requirement for him to be eligible for the AHL playoffs this season.
He was sent down on deadline day, but was he assigned before 3? That's apparently what matters.

I wish they just kept the clear day rosters, that seemed a lot simpler.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Freeptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Nonsense. You still need to place an NHL regular on waivers in order to send him down. So, no team would risk losing a player for that reason alone.
Except that by the waiver rules, if a team claims a player on waivers after the trade deadline, they can't use them on their NHL playoff roster. So teams out of the playoffs could easily waive any pending UFAs they have, knowing they wouldn't get claimed, and then send them down to the AHL.

Quote:
However, the likes of Jayson Megna and Brian Gibbons, they should be allowed to play in the AHL playoffs. It keeps guys playing in your system longer in case your big club is out early (and in case the players in question don't get picked for the World Championships).
The Pens made a few paper transactions at the deadline to get all the non-injured AHL players on the AHL roster at the deadline. Megna and Gibbons were technically on the AHL roster for the deadline, but then got recalled afterwards.

Quote:
If Tristan Jarry and Derrick Pouliot get knocked off in the WHL playoffs, don't we want to see them in the 'A' at season's end?
The rules allow for prospects from Juniors or NCAA to join during the AHL playoffs.

Quote:
I assume their names were put on the Clear Day roster, but I am not sure. Still, you can't put every name down on the Clear Day roster, and that's dumb imo.
No such thing as Clear Day anymore. The new rules make it so that any NHL players have to be on the AHL roster at the trade deadline to play in the AHL playoffs, with the exception of prospects coming in from Juniors or NCAA (and even there, those guys are technically allowed in under "emergency" exemptions that teams take a very liberal definition of the word to make work).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
He was sent down on deadline day, but was he assigned before 3? That's apparently what matters.

I wish they just kept the clear day rosters, that seemed a lot simpler.
Yes, he was. Incidentally, Kobasew just got sent back down to the AHL today, along with Zolnierczyk and Despres:
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

Freeptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 12:36 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

So I'm confused, if this was "expected" and all that, why was he sent back down?

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 02:10 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I too am very confused. There's gotta be an easier way.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 08:19 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buy Gold

vCash: 2626
I could have sworn he was sent down after the deadline, but it was just a transaction that hit the wire less than an hour after the deadline...my bad.

I guess the call-up was...I dunno. That was weird. At least he's gone again.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 08:26 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I could have sworn he was sent down after the deadline, but it was just a transaction that hit the wire less than an hour after the deadline...my bad.

I guess the call-up was...I dunno. That was weird. At least he's gone again.
Maybe a reward for being good about getting sent down and an excuse to rest a regular.

BrunoPuntzJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 08:39 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buy Gold

vCash: 2626
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoPuntzJones View Post
Maybe a reward for being good about getting sent down and an excuse to rest a regular.
That's the only thing that makes sense. The ol' "you were a good sport about being sent down and actually tried (10 goals in 11 games ain't too bad) and we don't care if you get hurt" reward.

Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote