HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins Playoff Tickets not sold out

Old
04-14-2014, 02:28 PM
SirBrad

vCash: 500
If it comes down to it, I'd much rather drop $100-150 on a concert ticket over a sports game. You hardy ever leave a concert disappointed unless you're miserable to begin with.

You spend that on a playoff game you might see Fleury give up 4 easy goals in the first 12 minutes of the game. Plus, $100+ for a Game 2 ticket doesn't make much sense anyhow given how lame the Consol Energy Center crowd is these days.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 03:07 PM
abstrusezincate

Send a message via AIM to abstrusezincate Send a message via Yahoo to abstrusezincate
Most of the better hockey fans I know are under 40 and generally speaking, it would be a major hardship for them to spend so much money on a ticket, especially as the better seats cost more.

In many ways, I miss the old Arena, for as bad as it was, the thing about it was the fans gave it some character. But the Pens catered to their high price people, and now they have a corporate crowd who buys up the season ticket allotment, and I think while fans still listen and watch, they're less engaged.

Speaking only for myself, I find myself not caring too much what happens with the playoffs and not expecting that much. Maybe the person who suggested this team is less likable is right, though I couldn't quite say why if pressed.

abstrusezincate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 03:11 PM
Michael8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerPensfan View Post
I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. They'll sell out eventually. They always do.
This year I agree, next year and beyond (depending on how we do this year) maybe not. The fan base is becoming increasingly disgruntled.

Michael8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 03:24 PM
MeticulouslyDishevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardin087 View Post
I remember them only having lowers that were very expensive. This year they have almost everything available
There's always a few that are released on game days because under the CBA the home team has to hold back tickets for the visiting team (2 tickets per player, max 80 tickets for opposing team) and 16 for the NHLPA. Most of those tickets have to be in the lower bowl and be worth at least the second highest price level (so they're good seats - and expensive). If they aren't picked up by a certain time on game day the tickets can be released for sale. (Although that situation of releasing a handful of ticket on game day is different than the team having relatively slow ticket sales).

MeticulouslyDishevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 03:32 PM
Jaded-Fan

I am not surprised.

The people who put the money down is not the 'suits' some of you complain of so much. Most are average Joes for whom the ticket prices are something to sacrifice for. Given what we have seen from the team this past year, and it seeming to everyone that this team is primed for another early exit, why would anyone get excited about throwing a grand down for four tickets to see what will almost certainly be this steaming pile of disappointment?

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 04:29 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Despite how the team has played I would go if I could afford tickets. $200+ for nose bleeds is hard to do. That's two weeks groceries for a chance the team might give a crap that night.

eXile59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 04:33 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Columbus was the worst draw in terms of selling tickets. If it was Detroit or Philly, I don't tickets would still be left.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 04:34 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I heard a lot of fans really disgusted with the team this weekend being in Consol both times. A lot of fans were already saying they wouldn't spend more money for playoffs. When DB was given props for his 400th game, nobody clapped. It was strange.
My wife always boos him when he's announced on the jumbotron. Even turned his bobble head around in the house so he stares at the corner like he's being punished

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 04:37 PM
PensPlz

Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz
My guess is people have to budget in their Bucko tickets now that they are able to win games.

Hopefully the free market goes to work and the demand of Pirates tickets drive down Pen's ticket prices.

PensPlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 04:42 PM
OilerPensfan94
JOE!

vCash: 3742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
My wife always boos him when he's announced on the jumbotron. Even turned his bobble head around in the house so he stares at the corner like he's being punished
Haha, that's too funny !

OilerPensfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 04:45 PM
Fire Shero*

The argument that the "suits" dont care gets tiresome. Sorry, but spend a hell of a lot more than $80 per ticket. The Pens could not be in Pittsburgh without them.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 04:53 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerz View Post
The argument that the "suits" dont care gets tiresome. Sorry, but spend a hell of a lot more than $80 per ticket. The Pens could not be in Pittsburgh without them.
Well anytime you generalize an entire demographic it's not going to be fair.

Pittsburgh has been a white collar city for some time now. It's not a bad thing. Cities that didn't evolve and tried staying blue collar are now...Detroit.

eXile59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 04:58 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
I am going to catch hell for this, but that is such a chick thing to do.

I laughed hearing it as any of us in a relationship for any length of time gets seeing this completely.

And what could be more Pittsburgh than putting a bobble head into time out for bad behavior?

Old
04-14-2014, 05:11 PM
canadianguy77

Fans finally getting tired of seeing Glass, Adams, Pyatt, Orpik and Scuds play when they know there are better options available because they were finally able to see those other options this season?

canadianguy77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 06:10 PM
madinsomniac

Eh I may pick up tix if they are available tomorrow... I may dislike team Bylsma, but I do love me some Pens Hockey

madinsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 06:17 PM
Aiastelmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianguy77 View Post
Fans finally getting tired of seeing Glass, Adams, Pyatt, Orpik and Scuds play when they know there are better options available because they were finally able to see those other options this season?
I never thought of it this way, but watching Glass and Adams hand grenade the puck and skate in slo-mo all night isn't very entertaining for casual fans. Especially when we have guys like Megna, Gibbons and even Z sitting some nights. Despres is another exciting player to watch who never gets in.

Whether you're a proponent of grinding or skill hockey, it's pretty clear which is better to watch. Didn't the NHL used to agree with that?

Aiastelmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 06:21 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Honestly, I can understand if there are a lot of seats available for the playoffs.

1) The prices of the seats for playoff games are astronomical for the playoffs and cost about 30% more if you aren't a STH. I have club seats and my seats are over $500 a pair on ticketmaster prices compared to what I'm paying as a STH being much lower.

2) With the way the Pens are playing right now, I can't blame people for not spending their expendable cash on a product that doesn't make you excited. With how disinterested, disorganized, and undisciplined the team has been playing recently, people already expect a bad outcome so why spend money and get emotionally/financially vested with this team when they are playing like ****?

Old
04-14-2014, 06:23 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I am going to catch hell for this, but that is such a chick thing to do.

I laughed hearing it as any of us in a relationship for any length of time gets seeing this completely.

And what could be more Pittsburgh than putting a bobble head into time out for bad behavior?
She just says she doesn't want to look at him because he makes her sick.

Old
04-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Probably a combination of things. Like others have mentioned Columbus isn't a big draw. I think it probably would have sold out by now if Philly or Detroit were coming in here round one.

I do think they have an issue right now with their product getting stale. They go out of their way to keep this band together (a lot of the same supporting cast players and same coaches) and people haven't seen the kind of changes that most thought they needed to make after last years letdown in the ECF. It's possible people just aren't buying in to this team being such a Cup favorite that they're willing to blow 100-300 bucks for playoff tickets without blinking anymore. They are at least having to think about it a little harder than they did in past years.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 06:41 PM
Pens17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
The economy is horrendous and nosebleed seats cost $100/pop. There's your answer lol
Let's see, should I buy playoff tickets or fully fund my IRA? Yes, it does appear ridiculous in context!

Pens17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens17 View Post
Let's see, should I buy playoff tickets or fully fund my IRA? Yes, it does appear ridiculous in context!
You can fully fund your IRA for $100?

Damn, I knew I should have taken a government job.

Old
04-14-2014, 06:46 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

I have to admit, I have tickets at STH price, and have no interest in going right now. Having spent $700 on the last two Boston games, last season, which were awful games, I am just going to watch them on TV. Taking a wait and see approach. But I went ahead and purchased the playoff strip, so I put up my tickets on the ticket exchange and likely will not get my money back on game 1. As prices, after the Pens take their commission, are currently less on the market, than what I paid for them. And if things don't go well this playoff season, I most likely will stop getting playoff tickets in advance, and just wait and get them cheaply on secondary, if want to go.

They are no longer a hot commodity. Which is weird to say when you have two of the best players in the world. Penguins pricing is getting ridiculous.

I would rather put my money into Pirates tickets right now. Much more affordable, and much more enjoyable at the moment.

Old
04-14-2014, 06:47 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Is the economy really that much worse than years past though? I just think peoples excitement about this team has cooled off a bit. We've gone about a handful of years now without coming close to winning anything and yet we keep re-signing the same vets and bringing back the same coaches. At some point that gets old and stale. People obviously still bought the regular season tickets but those were a bit cheaper.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 06:50 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Is the economy really that much worse than years past though? I just think peoples excitement about this team has cooled off a bit. We've gone about a handful of years now without coming close to winning anything and yet we keep re-signing the same vets and bringing back the same coaches. At some point that gets old and stale. People obviously still bought the regular season tickets but those were a bit cheaper.
That's basically it for me.

Old
04-14-2014, 06:51 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I was under the impression that the US economy was actually getting better.

I'm pretty confident in thinking that the lack of sales are more-directly related to the on-ice product than financial factors.

They always sell out, recession or not.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote