HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Benoit Pouliot Megathread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-15-2014, 02:43 AM
  #151
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,276
vCash: 500
Brassard and MZA have more to do with his decent season than anything.

Id be cautious before I extend him for a few years. His production can be replaced.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 02:53 AM
  #152
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Brassard and MZA have more to do with his decent season than anything.

Id be cautious before I extend him for a few years. His production can be replaced.
He is a 26 year old who has proven capable of playing on the third line. You don't just dump him unless he wants too much money.


Can he be replaced? Yes, but so can Hagelin, Kreider and even Stepan. But you don't just throw them out.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 06:10 AM
  #153
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
He is a 26 year old who has proven capable of playing on the third line. You don't just dump him unless he wants too much money.


Can he be replaced? Yes, but so can Hagelin, Kreider and even Stepan. But you don't just throw them out.
You're comparing a notorious underperformer who is hitting a UFA year to three home grown players who are still capable of improving and haven't hit their peak yet.

Did you ever think that Pouliot had such a season with an expiring contract?

Somebody will likely offer him more money.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 07:44 AM
  #154
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
You're comparing a notorious underperformer who is hitting a UFA year to three home grown players who are still capable of improving and haven't hit their peak yet.

Did you ever think that Pouliot had such a season with an expiring contract?

Somebody will likely offer him more money.
Ignore his draft status and there goes the "underperformer" argument. He's a pretty consistent 30 point guy

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 11:47 AM
  #155
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Ignore his draft status and there goes the "underperformer" argument. He's a pretty consistent 30 point guy
I would say that he performed as he was expected to.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 12:11 PM
  #156
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I do not think that is a fair statement. To most knowleadable posters, in the end, he was exactly the player that ha has been. And an effort should be made to resign him a such. He is a version of a 3rd line player. He should not be resigned as anything but that if it is viewed that he cannot be upgraded from and he will help the team.
Its perfectly fair.

His struggles were beyond maddening the first few months but it had been pointed out repeatedly that he was a good bottom six/depth player for both Boston and Tampa. The usual response was "if he is such a good player, why is he on his 1000th team in the last few years???". It was pretty obvious that a lot of people did not watch him and had no idea what he was capable of.

To me that shows ignorance.


Last edited by McRanger: 04-15-2014 at 12:20 PM.
McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 12:53 PM
  #157
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
His struggles were beyond maddening the first few months but it had been pointed out repeatedly that he was a good bottom six/depth player for both Boston and Tampa. The usual response was "if he is such a good player, why is he on his 1000th team in the last few years???". It was pretty obvious that a lot of people did not watch him and had no idea what he was capable of.
When he was being lauded for being anything but exactly what he is, one can point out items. He is a 3rd line player. That is what he is. Can he be a good third line player? Sure. Can he be a very good player? Sure as long as the context extends no further than 3rd line players.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 06:34 PM
  #158
Rosalie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 219
vCash: 500
I like Benoit. I'm glad that he's doing well with the Rangers. I wish him all the best.

Rosalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 06:37 PM
  #159
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.
 
jerseyjinx94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
You're comparing a notorious underperformer who is hitting a UFA year to three home grown players who are still capable of improving and haven't hit their peak yet.

Did you ever think that Pouliot had such a season with an expiring contract?

Somebody will likely offer him more money.
He's had an expiring contract for like 5 seasons.

My friend is a Bruins fan and said he loved Pouliot while there. I see no reason not to extend him with a modest raise.

jerseyjinx94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.