HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Benoit Pouliot Megathread

Old
04-15-2014, 02:43 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Brassard and MZA have more to do with his decent season than anything.

Id be cautious before I extend him for a few years. His production can be replaced.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 02:53 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Brassard and MZA have more to do with his decent season than anything.

Id be cautious before I extend him for a few years. His production can be replaced.
He is a 26 year old who has proven capable of playing on the third line. You don't just dump him unless he wants too much money.

Can he be replaced? Yes, but so can Hagelin, Kreider and even Stepan. But you don't just throw them out.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 06:10 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
He is a 26 year old who has proven capable of playing on the third line. You don't just dump him unless he wants too much money.

Can he be replaced? Yes, but so can Hagelin, Kreider and even Stepan. But you don't just throw them out.
You're comparing a notorious underperformer who is hitting a UFA year to three home grown players who are still capable of improving and haven't hit their peak yet.

Did you ever think that Pouliot had such a season with an expiring contract?

Somebody will likely offer him more money.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 07:44 AM
slipknottin

Quote:
You're comparing a notorious underperformer who is hitting a UFA year to three home grown players who are still capable of improving and haven't hit their peak yet.

Ignore his draft status and there goes the "underperformer" argument. He's a pretty consistent 30 point guy

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 11:47 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Ignore his draft status and there goes the "underperformer" argument. He's a pretty consistent 30 point guy
I would say that he performed as he was expected to.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 12:11 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I do not think that is a fair statement. To most knowleadable posters, in the end, he was exactly the player that ha has been. And an effort should be made to resign him a such. He is a version of a 3rd line player. He should not be resigned as anything but that if it is viewed that he cannot be upgraded from and he will help the team.
Its perfectly fair.

His struggles were beyond maddening the first few months but it had been pointed out repeatedly that he was a good bottom six/depth player for both Boston and Tampa. The usual response was "if he is such a good player, why is he on his 1000th team in the last few years???". It was pretty obvious that a lot of people did not watch him and had no idea what he was capable of.

To me that shows ignorance.

Last edited by McRanger: 04-15-2014 at 12:20 PM.
McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 12:53 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
His struggles were beyond maddening the first few months but it had been pointed out repeatedly that he was a good bottom six/depth player for both Boston and Tampa. The usual response was "if he is such a good player, why is he on his 1000th team in the last few years???". It was pretty obvious that a lot of people did not watch him and had no idea what he was capable of.
When he was being lauded for being anything but exactly what he is, one can point out items. He is a 3rd line player. That is what he is. Can he be a good third line player? Sure. Can he be a very good player? Sure as long as the context extends no further than 3rd line players.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 06:34 PM
Rosalie

I like Benoit. I'm glad that he's doing well with the Rangers. I wish him all the best.

Rosalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 06:37 PM
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.

Quote:

He's had an expiring contract for like 5 seasons.

My friend is a Bruins fan and said he loved Pouliot while there. I see no reason not to extend him with a modest raise.

jerseyjinx94 is offline   Reply With Quote