HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick extension plugs - advantages?

Old
04-01-2014, 06:36 PM
PGCougar
almostcanadian

vCash: 500
Stick extension plugs - advantages?

Hey guys!

I use wooden plugs on both of my sticks, simply because I'm 6'5" and there is no brand except Warrior whose sticks are long enough. But is there an advantage those plugs can have beside the obvious one - extending the stick length? I've seen it a couple times in the WHL and in the NHL now, players who don't seem to be super tall have those plugs in their sticks. Maybe I'm just mistaken and they actually are tall, I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

The only one who comes to my mind right now is Corey Perry but he is 6'3" so it's probably just necessary for him. Anyway, this is what it looks like.

PGCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 07:52 PM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

There are several reasons to use a wood plug. One is to change the balance so that the stick feels more blade-light. Another is to dampen the vibrations and change the puck feel. And another reason is some players like to shave the plug down into a custom shape.

I use one in all my sticks even though I'm only 5'6". I like the way it changes the balance.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 09:45 PM
casg11

It'll give your stick more of a flex too

casg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 01:39 AM
howeaboutthat

Companies like Oggie make specific products to fit the end of hockey sticks.

http://www.oggiegrip.com/products.php

howeaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 06:40 PM
Onetimersniper28

6'2 Alexander Semin uses a 112 flex stick with a wooden extension with round corners. It helps him to shoot the puck, because the length is perfect and it becomes a bit softer, which allows him to get that extra zip on his wrist shots.

Some smaller players (5'9 Brad Marchand) also use the extensions, probably for stickhandling and poke checking purposes.

At 6'5, you have no choice but to use an extension, unless you call a company to make custom sticks for you.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 11:07 PM
sweetmcghee

I'm 5'8". I use an 85 flex but I cut it short which makes it more like 100 flex, maybe more? If I use an extension, will the stick become more flexible even when it's cut that short? Thanks

sweetmcghee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 06:02 AM
jazzykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmcghee View Post
I'm 5'8". I use an 85 flex but I cut it short which makes it more like 100 flex, maybe more? If I use an extension, will the stick become more flexible even when it's cut that short? Thanks
Yes, definitely more flexible but I'm not sure how much more.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 07:16 AM
AntsSheffield

Quote:
How bout not cutting the stick in the first place?

AntsSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 09:49 AM
casg11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntsSheffield View Post
How bout not cutting the stick in the first place?
He's 5'8" which is relatively short so he has/wants to cut it to what's comfortable.

casg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 04:38 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikitas donut View Post
There are several reasons to use a wood plug. One is to change the balance so that the stick feels more blade-light. Another is to dampen the vibrations and change the puck feel. And another reason is some players like to shave the plug down into a custom shape.

I use one in all my sticks even though I'm only 5'6". I like the way it changes the balance.
That guy nailed it. While all points are personal preferences, those are the usual reasons, aside from just making a stick longer.

Quote:
If you cut the stick shorter, it's going to feel stiffer. If you put in an extension, it's going to feel whippier. If you cut it short and put a plug back to length, it's going to be pretty close.

The Oggie grips available I have used in the past, they do restore some flex to the stick. And they do seem to make the stick feel a bit whippier and add a bit of a kick point to the top hand. But they never really wanted me to try out the regular grips and kept sending me the Ergo grips, which I never bonded with. Felt way too weird.

When I tried out their grips, I ended up going back to wood plugs, even at 5" long or so, the sticks still felt fine.

My preference though is to get the height of the stick correct right off the bat and not use a plug, or at least to use a 1" plug which is the same width as a tape roll for the knob.

The annoying thing about end plugs is having to shave them down to size when you use intermediates, both for the tenon and for the plug itself. Senior plugs can be thicker than intermediate sticks.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote