HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

No Love For Montreal?

Old
03-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Burnside_1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Pronger and Peca...
You're being ironic right? Both were traded there, then one asked to be traded and the other signed with another team.

UFA don't come here for two main reasons IMO.

We don't overpay for them, and we're not a winning team with stability.

And there are other things you don't control, like the wife wishing to shop in manhatan instead of St.Denis.

Burnside_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 08:21 PM
JrHockeyFan

Hmmmm

Primary reason is probably taxes.

Second reason is ignorance

I'll give a non-hockey example:

When The Expos were still around and they were playing the Indians I listened in on the Indians radio broadcast crew. Here were some actual "reasons" given by the Indian announcers for FA players not wanting to play in Montreal.

1. "The exchange rate rips your face off." Probably the silliest comment. Athletes paid in American dollars worrying about the exchange rate in Canada. Duh?

2. "Spanish speaking players do not like Montreal because of the French language issues. It's hard enough for them to play in an english market without having to learn French." One of the truly remarkably stupid comments ever. The fact that the Expos were managed by a Latin and were about 60% Hispanic somehow eluded these radio guys.

3. "The weather." DUH! maybe in Jarry park but at the Stade Olympique playing indoors? In the summer anyhow.

In short, many "reasons" or rumours are spread as to why free agents do not play in Montreal. Most are totally ignorant.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Penalty Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I may be wrong, but didn't Pronger get traded to Edm as a UFA, and then sign a long-term contract with the team that summer?
Peca and Pronger were trades. Pronger was signed as an RFA. Peca didn't sign a UFA deal until he left Edmonton for Toronto. Roloson re-signed as a UFA on July 1st. I had to look all these up, I'm hardly an Oiler fan. I've been to Edmonton, I know why no one wants to go there....

Penalty Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:59 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Primary reason is probably taxes.

Second reason is ignorance

I'll give a non-hockey example:

When The Expos were still around and they were playing the Indians I listened in on the Indians radio broadcast crew. Here were some actual "reasons" given by the Indian announcers for FA players not wanting to play in Montreal.

1. "The exchange rate rips your face off." Probably the silliest comment. Athletes paid in American dollars worrying about the exchange rate in Canada. Duh?

2. "Spanish speaking players do not like Montreal because of the French language issues. It's hard enough for them to play in an english market without having to learn French." One of the truly remarkably stupid comments ever. The fact that the Expos were managed by a Latin and were about 60% Hispanic somehow eluded these radio guys.

3. "The weather." DUH! maybe in Jarry park but at the Stade Olympique playing indoors? In the summer anyhow.

In short, many "reasons" or rumours are spread as to why free agents do not play in Montreal. Most are totally ignorant.
agreed, besides french is linguistically closer to spanish than it is to english

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:54 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside_1 View Post
You're being ironic right? Both were traded there, then one asked to be traded and the other signed with another team.

UFA don't come here for two main reasons IMO.

We don't overpay for them, and we're not a winning team with stability.

And there are other things you don't control, like the wife wishing to shop in manhatan instead of St.Denis.
oops, my bad...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:10 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Quebec Language Laws & School

A Canadian born parent of English descent can send his kid to an English school if he wishes, no problem.

Somebody born in another country (That's US, Russia, Sweden, whatever) has to send his kid to French school. It's to help the social integration of immigrants. There are special classes for foreigners that ease the transition. I understand that hockey players are not immigrants per se, but you can't start defining who's an immigrant and who isn't based on their job.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 08:42 PM
chitownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higginsisdabomb View Post
if the French had some honor they'd all take less to play with the habs
Your are selling or suggesting, I am not buying, no matter the nationality.

It is the objective of every NHL player to maximize his income while playing "The Game."

If the player decides to take less for other reasons, that is his decision. It isn't going to put additional bread on his table cause he sacrificed additional income to play for a specific team.

Most of the players have made many sacrifices or endured hardships to make it to the NHL and they have hired agents in an effort to get paid as much as possible.

In addition, if I were an NHL player, knowing that at any time my NHL career could come to an immediate end, I would be hiring a financial advisor to invest the money I am receiving for the greatest financial reward so that I could have some monetary freedom once my playing days are over.

Most NHL players have a limited education, having focused on a hockey career since their youth and will have limited career choices once their career is over. So, by necessity, they should be focused on being as highly paid as they can.

chitownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote