HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Props to Jacques Demers and Benoit Brunet

Old
03-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
Props to Jacques Demers and Benoit Brunet

I usually don't watch La Ligue en Question because it's on friday night and I'm not home but because of the weather I watched the show and finally people who aren't hysterical freaks and go nuts because Gainey didn't ive up prospects for average players.

Only thing I can say on Demers is, y connait son affaire, the guy knows what it's all about and it's refreshing to hear that from somebody in Montreal.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:51 PM
caper13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
I usually don't watch La Ligue en Question because it's on friday night and I'm not home but because of the weather I watched the show and finally people who aren't hysterical freaks and go nuts because Gainey didn't ive up prospects for average players.

Only thing I can say on Demers is, y connait son affaire, the guy knows what it's all about and it's refreshing to hear that from somebody in Montreal.
agreed demers knows his hockey maybe a gm sooner than later.

caper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:58 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper13 View Post
agreed demers knows his hockey maybe a gm sooner than later.
If you mean GM in Tamba Bay as sooner since it already happened, then yes

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

you beat me to it
i wanted to make a topic about it...
i was watching it too and yes it was extremely refreshing

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Captain Saku

Demers props are underrated here... he makes some excellent analysis most of times ! He just have some problems remembering some players names !

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 07:51 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
benoit brunet is an idiot

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
he won a stanley cup though something you didn't

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 07:54 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
saku didnt too

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Souray44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuCKoivu View Post
he won a stanley cup though something you didn't
Winning a Stanley Cup has nothing to do with intelligence...

In no way am I siding with the crazy Jason Allison lover but thats some flawed logic right there.

Souray44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 08:09 PM
MtlSportsFan

What always strikes me is the way that people get angry at Gainey for not trading Souray for Carle or Pavleski and a 1st or for Steeve Bernier.....who says ANY of these offers were on the table. I bet NONE of them were or Gainey would have jumped.

Guys, other GM's are not dumb...they aren't making fantastic offers.

MtlSportsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Nobak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
Regardless, his comments today weren't idiotic.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Admaker

I didn;t get a chance to watch it tonight, would some one be albe to describe what he mentioned?

Thanks,

Admaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 12:02 AM
Boutmania

Send a message via AIM to Boutmania Send a message via Yahoo to Boutmania
Brunet can give some real good analysis sometime, he's freshly retired so his perspectives can be new, different and refeshing. It's just too bad he's not a "TV guy".

Boutmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 12:25 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admaker View Post
I didn;t get a chance to watch it tonight, would some one be albe to describe what he mentioned?

Thanks,
He said the Habs has a better team and have more chance to be in the playoff than Carolina, Toronto and New York Islanders. He also said Ryan Smyth is an hypocrite because he cried on national tv for 300 000$ and thinks Lowe trade him because he want to punish Smyth.

I dont like him at all

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 01:28 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobak View Post
Regardless, his comments today weren't idiotic.
I think he was too much of a zealot in defending them. It's one thing to defend Gainey-because I agree people have been too harsh with him-but saying that Gainey was right in not doing any magor moves was pretty far fetched. Habs were not good enough during the season and we lost two important warriors(Huet, Rivet) wich makes us even weaker than we were. So less likely to advance in the playoffs. This year is the first time in years where we didn't get anybody new to go further in the playoffs. It's the first time that as a fan I recall feeling like there's absolutly zero chance for us to go further. And I have a feeling like the players feel depressed that they didn't get any help. If the GM wasn't willing to get more amunition, it looks as if he threw the towel so why would the players work their ass of anyway?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 01:48 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
He said the Habs has a better team and have more chance to be in the playoff than Carolina, Toronto and New York Islanders. He also said Ryan Smyth is an hypocrite because he cried on national tv for 300 000$ and thinks Lowe trade him because he want to punish Smyth.

I dont like him at all
So he did say idiotic things then.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 04:47 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I think he was too much of a zealot in defending them. It's one thing to defend Gainey-because I agree people have been too harsh with him-but saying that Gainey was right in not doing any magor moves was pretty far fetched. Habs were not good enough during the season and we lost two important warriors(Huet, Rivet) wich makes us even weaker than we were. So less likely to advance in the playoffs. This year is the first time in years where we didn't get anybody new to go further in the playoffs. It's the first time that as a fan I recall feeling like there's absolutly zero chance for us to go further. And I have a feeling like the players feel depressed that they didn't get any help. If the GM wasn't willing to get more amunition, it looks as if he threw the towel so why would the players work their ass of anyway?
To be fair to Gainey I get the impression his mind is not with the team like it was in past years. However, look for him to recover in near future. It takes time

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 07:58 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:

I dont like him at all

I don't agree with the Habs having a better team but I do agree Smyth looks like a hypocrite. If you love were you're playing and and you don't want to leave, then what the hell is 300 000$ when you make millions. But he went for the money, and then starts sobing that he wont be playing in Edmonton. In my books, that makes him a hypocrite.

gunnerdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaculine View Post
I don't agree with the Habs having a better team but I do agree Smyth looks like a hypocrite. If you love were you're playing and and you don't want to leave, then what the hell is 300 000$ when you make millions. But he went for the money, and then starts sobing that he wont be playing in Edmonton. In my books, that makes him a hypocrite.
In my books it doesn't. Sure Smyth was greedy but I truly believe he didn't expect to be traded because of that. So, it may a good lesson to learn for all the players who play hardball that you may get the axe, but I surely think Smyth didn't expect that. Which makes is crying real for me. Then, sure he should've settled something with Lowe and needed to take into consideration then that if you really love the city you're playing in, you can live without the last 300,000 you wanted so much.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 08:08 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaculine View Post
I think Meehan is somewhat responsible for them not coming to an agreement.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 08:08 AM
BLONG7

Quote:

One has to evaluate with what happened with your head, not your heart...So, that being said, we can understand what BG did, but at the same time, everyone was looking for something to happen deadline day...most GM's stuck to their guns, and didn't deal prospects or picks, unless they thought the trade could push them far in the playoffs...BG didn't want to part with a second rounder for Cujo or Belfour, and in my opinion, that is where he made a mistake(especially after watching Abby last night)...As far as Ryan Smyth goes, he looks real bad here, he let his $$$ agent run the show, and then cries about it...he is a heart n sould type of player, and every team would love to have him, but $$$ wise he is worth more to the Oilers than anyone else, and he left there because of $$$$$$$...he and his agent were not on the same page whatsoever, and that responsibility lies with Ryan himself.

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Corby

To me, it is far-fetched to say that Ryan Smyth cried because he didn't expect to get traded for a salary difference of just $300K, which makes him less hypocritical. If your GM calls your agent in the morning of trade deadline day to settle an agreement and you refuse an offer because of $300K, you should assume your chances of getting traded before the end of the day have significantly increased...

As for Jacques Demers, I still hardly believe this guy won a Jack Adams trophy. Almost all of his comments on TV are worthless, he rarely if never explains tactical strategies adopted by teams and doesn't seem to have much knowledge of teams and players around the league. For what I can understand from your summary of Jacques' comments last night on RDS, I don't think it makes you a good or bad potential GM in the future to say what he said about Smyth. Actually, he repeated what Michel Villeneuve said the night before on 110%.

In my opinion, RDS doesn't offer many good hockey analysts to its viewers if you exclude Yvon Pedneault and the former NHL players, Brunet, the NY Islanders player I don't remember his name, etc...

Corby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:07 AM
Mathletic

Quote:

I dont like him at all
that's not what he said ... people can be stupid when they want to ...

Brunet only said that he's not sure NY Islanders will make the playoffs. He never said Canadiens have a better team. He also said that Smyth was traded to NY because Anaheim didn't want to part with their prospects so he decided to ship him on the east coast to an average team.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 01:36 AM
Stradale

Quote:
that's not what he said ... people can be stupid when they want to ...

Brunet only said that he's not sure NY Islanders will make the playoffs. He never said Canadiens have a better team. He also said that Smyth was traded to NY because Anaheim didn't want to part with their prospects so he decided to ship him on the east coast to an average team.
NO, i remember that i said something like: "Moi je pense que Kevin Lowe la echanger a New York pour le punir"

And he did say that the Habs are more likely to make the playoff than the NYI, Toronto and Carolina.

Btw, you guys are talking like Smyth asked for a trade, im sure he didnt expexted to be traded. And EVEN if its true that Smyth decline the offer for a 300 000$ difference, why the hell Edmonton didnt give him the 300k$, hes the heart and soul of this team. Hes an 30 goals+ scorer, he didnt ask that much. We give Koivu 4.75millions here, does Smyth worth 800 000$ more? id say yes.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 01:53 AM
fredez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corby View Post

As for Jacques Demers, I still hardly believe this guy won a Jack Adams trophy.
He won two actually and he's the only one in history to have done so in back to back years.

And if you listened to what he has to say sometimes you would realize that this guy still has a lot of connections around the league. He talked about how Detroit management/scouts were very high on Carey Price, that Carolina had interest in Bouillon, he denied any Lecavalier rumors etc etc. He is the only one worth listening to on RDS.

Yes, he has trouble expressing himself sometimes but that's understandable and shouldn't be held against him.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote