HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marinero's Rant on Josh Gorge's intro to the team ...

Old
03-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
You sure about that? Lappie's english is hardly understandable, and I'd imagine that Lats' isn't much better. You'd figure they'd send Shelly or another leader of the team go pick him up.
Actually seeing how this guy is like 22, sending Laps and Lats who are basically his age seems understandable. Assuming a 22 year old would feel more comfortable around guys his age than someone like 8-10 years older.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:02 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
For Stephen Harper's sake, get serious guys...

BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS

and by BS and Stephen Harper, I mean bien Ítre social....

I love irony...

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Puckhead58*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT View Post
Basically the Habs welcoming party was Janne Niinimaa ...

Habs missed the boat on helping introduce Josh to the organization ... It's VERY upsetting ...

We need more TEAM guys on the team like Niinimaa!!! He should be a regular defencemen in our lineup every night....he's 10 times the defenceman as Boullion!!!
I just wish the team had a team connection like Calgary has....they all seem to have a great time together and they are always joking around with each other.....why do things have to be so serious in Montreal???

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Penalty Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
I just wish the team had a team connection like Calgary has....they all seem to have a great time together and they are always joking around with each other.....why do things have to be so serious in Montreal???
Two reasons. The media. The fans.

Penalty Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:03 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamon View Post
I also think it's the fact that too many different cultures are mixed into the team. There are distinct groups of different nationalities, and by human nature we stick together with the people we are most like.

If you have one or 2 Russians on a team, for example, they will probably hang out with the team as a whole, whereas in Montreal, we have large pockets of Russians, Czechs, french-Canadians, english-Canadians, etc...These are all pretty distinct cultures, and it's not to say that they don't get along, but you simply tend to hang out with people that are most like you. This is especially so with nationalities like Russian, as they often prefer to stick to their Russian brothers. You can also apply this to younger players vs older players.

This isn't a knock on Russians or anything other culture; everyone is different of course and no one culture is better than another. This is simply to give insight as to a potential reasoning behind the fact that the team seems disconnected.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:13 PM
milou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT View Post
Everyone was ignoring him ... Eventually Janne Niinimaa walks up and introduces the guy :

Basically the guy saw no one was paying attention to him :

Janne Niinimaa : Hello I'm Janne !
Josh Gorges : Hi I'm Josh !
JN : Welcome to Montreal, you'll love it here !
It isn't the first time . Last season , it was said that when a player from the Dogs was calling up , it were always Ribeiro , Kovalev and Souray that were the the ones to say welcome ; There are some leaders in this team , that are " too important " to talk to all the other players , without saying the new ones .

Bravo they once again show there leadership .

milou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:47 PM
ngc_5128

Quote:
Originally Posted by milou View Post
It isn't the first time . Last season , it was said that when a player from the Dogs was calling up , it were always Ribeiro , Kovalev and Souray that were the the ones to say welcome ; There are some leaders in this team , that are " too important " to talk to all the other players , without saying the new ones .

Bravo they once again show there leadership .
I didn't realize you had the time to follow every player around 24 hours a day when there was a new player on the team. You must be an excellent judge of character to be able to tell how good of a person someone is by only hearing a silly anecdote that is third hand, at best.

When I had a student working with me this winter, I was at the bank the morning he started his first day, so I was not the first person to introduce myself to him, even though I was the leader of our team. Does that make me a bad leader? Was I "too important" to talk to him?

Just because some two-bit reporter who doesn't even follow the team says something, it does not make it so. This is so much of a non-story, it is silly.

ngc_5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamon View Post
Yup. Nailed both of those.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 08:24 PM
chitownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco Fever View Post
Don't mean to add fuel to this topic, but when Beauchemin was recalled for 2 games (before we lost him of course...) nobody talked to him in the dressing room...finally Quintal walked over and welcome him.

Leadership...big lack of...

Do you remember who welcome Niinimaa at the golf tournament?
Souray and Rivet...

Is it me or shouldn't the Captain be there too?
IMO, introducing a new member to the team is the responsibility of the coach or team captain and if he so elects, due to his absence, select a younger member of the team to serve in his place. Since the dressing room language is English, the coach/team captain should select someone with fluency in that language and I believe that would exempt Lats.

Perhaps Carbo/Saku asked Janne to do the honours for the intros to the team members. It is very rude to allow a new member of the team to walk into the dressing room and not be acknowledged and introduced.

Given all of the above, we are getting second hand information and I doubt what is being reported is what actually took place for both Gorges & Leighton.

Finally, I have a very high regard for Saku for both his activity on the ice & off and would be very surprised if he was a participant with respect to this rumour.

chitownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 08:49 PM
DerekT

I've met guys who work at the Team 990, some of whom speak on air regularly, who don't really like Marinero. I think I've heard him making up unbelievable things before too. Either way, I wouldn't put too much credibility into this.

DerekT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 09:00 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownhabsfan View Post
IMO, introducing a new member to the team is the responsibility of the coach or team captain and if he so elects, due to his absence, select a younger member of the team to serve in his place. Since the dressing room language is English, the coach/team captain should select someone with fluency in that language and I believe that would exempt Lats.
Latendresse speaks English very well.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 09:01 PM
shutehinside

No one here was there when George was picked up, including Marinero, so why is everyone freaking out over such a minor point of who picked up a minor aquitition if it did or didn't happen. Is the whole team supposed to pick him up at the airport with a huge welcome to Montreal banner and poppin' bottles of Crystal!? Who cares!!! they have bigger problems to worry about then picking up a rookie at the airport, like winning some hockey games and making the playoffs.

Here's what happened, someone picked him up, brought to where the team was and then they said "hey, nice to meet you, have fun in the pressbox."

All these rumors, heresay and speculation is completely irrelevant cuz once again we dont know what actually happened.

On a side note, alot of guys get hazed when they join a team, so not falling over themselves to welcome him isn't exactly scandalous. Just another example of what's wrong with this city's reporting and fans overreacting that makes players not want to come here!

Just soo freakin' STOOPID.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekT View Post
I've met guys who work at the Team 990, some of whom speak on air regularly, who don't really like Marinero. I think I've heard him making up unbelievable things before too. Either way, I wouldn't put too much credibility into this.
I used to think he was a hard working guy who was pretty level headed. But this year, working with Stock he has become lazy and sounds like a gossip columnist. His comments about the Habs players looking at girls after the Rangers game was completely useless.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 12:36 AM
Habsurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Russians View Post
Darren Dregers "character issue"... maybe Bob should change this core.

Hasn't that been obvious for about 6 weeks already !
(BTW, i'm not directing this at you personally).

Thats why some of us wanted BG to trade Souray......bec its obvious that this team needs dismantling. Its exactly where it was when Julien got fired. Its been moribund since xmas and imo BG needed to adress this over a month ago.

By concentrating on the playoffs BG is only delaying the obvious : habs need a serious overhaul, hence start the process now (ie, February) and get it started sooner than later.

Habsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 01:01 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

I don't know if there needs to be a big deal made out of this. I'm sure Gorges will feel fine once he starts hanging out with the team more often.

But the Sharks tend to send their star players to pick up their trade aquisitions. Patrick Marleau picked up Joe Thornton in Buffalo after his trade, and Joe Thornton picked up Bill Guerin at 2 or 3 AM after his flight was delayed coming into SF.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 02:59 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Wilson View Post
I don't know if there needs to be a big deal made out of this. I'm sure Gorges will feel fine once he starts hanging out with the team more often.

But the Sharks tend to send their star players to pick up their trade aquisitions. Patrick Marleau picked up Joe Thornton in Buffalo after his trade, and Joe Thornton picked up Bill Guerin at 2 or 3 AM after his flight was delayed coming into SF.
Thornton and Guerin are friends outside of hockey though, are they not? This may have been a case of Joe helping out his buddy.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:25 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Leighton's welcome to new team,

http://www.habsinsideout.com/2007/03..._habs_ne/#more

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote