HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ville Leino

Old
04-15-2014, 11:16 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
Probably just a great match between him and his linemates, plus the system the team was playing. I don't see how we can recreate that situation now with new players and a new coach so there's probably no way to bring back the magic.
Well...the closest thing to Hartnell - Briere - Leino...right now would be...

Hartnell - Giroux - Leino

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 11:16 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
I think some team is going to buy low on leino and he is going to surprise some people. He would be our 2nd best puck handling winger and he is still a good play maker. Those are all things we need from the winger position.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 11:19 AM
dats81

Leino has been a complete disaster since leaving the Flyers, his old buddy Briere is no longer with the team, Flyers are looking to get younger and quicker.... so NO NO NO, stay away!

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 11:20 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Briere drew a lot of attention back then.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 11:26 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I don't know how likely it is, but what about a PTO? Like I said, I can't imagine the guy will get that much interest (10 goals in the past three seasons, 36 assists during that span). If he really wants to be an NHL, which I assume he does, maybe a PTO would work and then there is REALLY no risk in this move.

If I'm Homer, I'm calling him the day after that buyout happens (which we all know it will). Offer him the PTO or a one year $700k deal. If he flops in camp, send him to ADK. No harm no foul. I know people will raise the contract count concern, but from my count they have 32 under contract at this point, and I'm sure some will slide like Morin and maybe Stolarz and Leirer (do they count towards the total number?). Either way, the potential risk in having a small cap hit or a dead contract slot is does not come anywhere close to outweighing the potential reward. Even if he absolutely sucks here, one year is not going to kill anyone.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCWombBroom View Post
Briere drew a lot of attention back then.
Hiding behind the net? No. Leino was the primary puck handler on that line. he created the time and space briere needed.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 08:52 AM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
Nope

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 08:57 AM
FrankM95149
Rakim is GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Leino was actually pretty good defensively. That was a huge part of why that Hartnell-Briere-Leino line worked so greatly. Despite him being really slow he was very good on the backcheck and a wizard in stripping opponents off the puck.

That being said, I don't see Couturier and Leino on the same line. Foot speed would be a major concern. I don't see Leino beating out anyone right now.
He did have those cool Spin-O-Ramas though

FrankM95149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 09:46 AM
FlyersFan61290

PTO sure, I wouldn't sign him outright to an NHL contract.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Clown Baby

I think it's a great idea to acquire a guy that finished the season with less goals than John Scott, who helped the Sabres finish with the lowest goal totals post-expansion. Especially when your star forward, Giroux, is directly in his prime.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 10:01 AM
ericWONT
Nick Grossmann Hater

I would only be happy to take him if he came here for free. No not like $250K or something, like literally for free.

How can you have interest in a player who had a 0 goals per game average? I don't know.

Wouldn't be surprised if they brought him back though.

ericWONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 01:14 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericWONT View Post
I would only be happy to take him if he came here for free. No not like $250K or something, like literally for free.

How can you have interest in a player who had a 0 goals per game average? I don't know.

Wouldn't be surprised if they brought him back though.
He was on an historically bad offensive team. I wouldn't expect him to come in and put up 50-60 points or anything, but he might be a decent guy to have around as an extra or a fill-in. I can't imagine him getting more than $1 million, if that, on any contract so I see no harm.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 01:15 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Village Leino

04-16-2014, 01:19 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Liquid diarrhea on the ice would be more effective than Leino.

Just have Akeson. Or if it happens, maybe try to sign Hayes after August 15th and have him on the wing.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 05:40 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

pass

RoDu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 05:59 PM
ericWONT
Nick Grossmann Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
He was on an historically bad offensive team. I wouldn't expect him to come in and put up 50-60 points or anything, but he might be a decent guy to have around as an extra or a fill-in. I can't imagine him getting more than $1 million, if that, on any contract so I see no harm.
I understand where you're coming from, but a decent player on an absolutely horrendous offensive team would get a goal or two in a given year. Jay Rosehill has more goals than Leino, and in like 15% as many games. And Jay Rosehill is a backup.

Having someone less effective then Rosehill is basically only good for a paperweight.

ericWONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 06:02 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Well... it would be a chance to wear my Black #22 Leino Flyers jersey.......

... Uhhhh... NO!

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 10:48 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Why not just give Akeson a shot and save the contract slot?

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 11:13 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
WTF happened to him... here I mean. He sucked with Detroit, we got him for free and became pretty good, then we lost him and he started sucking again.
When he was with the Flyers, he had linemates who did all the dirty work for him, and he was motivated. With the Sabres, he actually needs to put forth effort, and his tendency toward laziness manifested itself after he got his payday.

He's got an awful attitude; that is probably the cause of his struggles. That said, I doubt he cares. This is, after all, a guy with a bad enough attitude to get himself traded by the Wings; he's the only guy the organization has traded for that reason in the past decade.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 11:34 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
When he was with the Flyers, he had linemates who did all the dirty work for him, and he was motivated. With the Sabres, he actually needs to put forth effort, and his tendency toward laziness manifested itself after he got his payday.

He's got an awful attitude; that is probably the cause of his struggles. That said, I doubt he cares. This is, after all, a guy with a bad enough attitude to get himself traded by the Wings; he's the only guy the organization has traded for that reason in the past decade.
I disagree

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 12:25 AM
hockeyfreak7

This discussion has gone on too long. No one should want Leino back.

We caught lightning in a bottle with him. He was a fresh skater with something to prove and enjoyed excellent chemistry with two very effective offensive players. Holmgren smartly let him go before his value dropped.

I liked Leino, but I always saw him as a bit of an aberration. He wasn't particularly talented himself, had an atrocious shot, was pretty slow. All he really had were decent puck protection skills and a talent for putting pucks to areas where Hartnell or Briere could finish. Nothing too special.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 06:19 AM
dats81

Leino has decent puck protection and playmaking skills.
Everything else about his game is pretty bad.

In all fainess, I think he could have been a lot more productive (maybe not goals but assists) if he would have stayed a Flyer. But by now with the emergence of all of those young and talented forwards he'd likely have to look for a new home somewhere else anyhow...

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 04:08 PM
Scaleo

If he gets amnestied I think he'll head towards Jokerit.

Scaleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 04:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
It can be argued that Leino is a big reason they were historically bad. He's a complete non-factor. His 15 assists mean he helped produce a very underwhelming 10% of their offense...for a guy who's supposed to specialize in handling the puck, one would hope he could out produce the likes of Raffl or Downie. He also averaged less than a shot per game.

He was 9th on his team in point production not because the team was bad, but because he was bad. On top of that he looks slower than he did when he was here and he tends to miss significant time.

This isn't a player I have a shred of interest in.

04-17-2014, 05:38 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
If this was the 2011 Ville Leino then yes, he would be a great fit to play with Giroux. But this Ville, is not the same player.

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote