HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres announce coaching changes (Sacco, Forton, Numminen, Corsi)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-16-2014, 01:44 PM
  #26
Leelee Phoenix
Registered User
 
Leelee Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hamlet of Ebenezer
Country: Kyrgyzstan
Posts: 1,134
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Tim Murray is a goddamned genius. He's going to let Nolan turn that team into Maple Leafs-lite and coast into the McDavid lottery...at the same time appeasing the idiots who need "blue collar hockey" to feel like they're not watching a complete pile of garbage.
I've been thinking that's possible. Although, the issue remains that Murray would have to dump Nolan at some point and become the next villain like Darcy, even if Nolan goes 0-246.

Leelee Phoenix is offline  
Old
04-16-2014, 01:44 PM
  #27
sba
....
 
sba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Islip Terrace, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,609
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Just admit you really have no idea what you're mad about. Because it sure seems that way the more post
Mad?? It's brilliant.

sba is offline  
Old
04-16-2014, 01:45 PM
  #28
JPurp26
Registered User
 
JPurp26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearbait View Post
With Barry Trotz out in Nashville, I wouldn't be surprised to see Phil Housley back in Buffalo working with the young defense and running the power play program. Housley's success working with kids in the USA program makes sense and might be just what the organization could use right now. I don't know if Nolan and him are friends or not, but with all the international coaching they both did, I'm sure they ran into each other somewhere along the line....

Just a thought, but wouldn't be surprised, that's for sure.
Him and cunney would be great choices

JPurp26 is offline  
Old
04-16-2014, 01:45 PM
  #29
sjci
Registered User
 
sjci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,258
vCash: 172
The Tank Commander Sacco lives on!

sjci is offline  
Old
04-16-2014, 01:45 PM
  #30
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 40,160
vCash: 500
The misspelling of Numminen in the thread title is driving me crazy.

Nolan gets the benefit of the doubt right now. We'll see who he tabs as replacements.

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
04-16-2014, 01:52 PM
  #31
Coconut Head
Jack I Chel
 
Coconut Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: WNY
Posts: 1,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvirk View Post
Please tell me which coach in today's league is a true "X's and O's" guy and is successful or at least competing in this year's playoffs.

Coaches in today's NHL (and for the past few seasons) have been more about managing the team rather than drawing up plays. They have a certain system in place. Most assistant coaches if anything do "X's and O's"..but that's not how the NHL is trending anymore. Head coaches manage players and lines and put in a system and style of play for the team. Nolan could bring in an X's and O's guy...but as far as Head coach, Idk why you'd think he's not here for the long term. It's just a wait and see approach that's all. Look at the views most players have had on Nolan's coaching this season, they play so hard for the guy. But yeah let's bring in an X's and O's guy (i.e., Ron Rolston) when we're ready to compete!...
I have nothing against Nolan. If he can bring in his guys and find success, great. He's certainly had success before. I just thought that it was agreed upon that he was transitional, here for the rebuild and we find someone new as we change our identity into a contender.

And Rolston is an extreme example, he was in over his head

Coconut Head is offline  
Old
04-16-2014, 01:52 PM
  #32
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard
 
Sabre the Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Mad?? It's brilliant.
Brilliance often gets mistaken for Mad(Insanity) ??

Sabre the Win is offline  
Old
04-16-2014, 01:55 PM
  #33
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard
 
Sabre the Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut Head View Post
I have nothing against Nolan. If he can bring in his guys and find success, great. He's certainly had success before. I just thought that it was agreed upon that he was transitional, here for the rebuild and we find someone new as we change our identity into a contender.

And Rolston is an extreme example, he was in over his head
I thought it was an accurate example. Rolston was an X's and O's guy that had problems getting the players to play while Nolan get's the players to work hard but is not an X's and O's guy. At least that's how I took it as.

Sabre the Win is offline  
Old
04-16-2014, 01:55 PM
  #34
Slats432
Registered User
 
Slats432's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,594
vCash: 500
Quick and dirty...[/IMG]

Slats432 is offline  
Old
04-16-2014, 01:57 PM
  #35
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 36,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut Head View Post
I have nothing against Nolan. If he can bring in his guys and find success, great. He's certainly had success before. I just thought that it was agreed upon that he was transitional, here for the rebuild and we find someone new as we change our identity into a contender.

And Rolston is an extreme example, he was in over his head
Agreed upon by who? Posters on this board?


-Nolan was hired because Murray feels he is the best man for the job right now.

-Nolan is being allowed to hire his own assistants. Something thats perfectly normal and happens quite frequently with coaching changes

-Nolan will be the coach until Murray feels he isn't the right man for the job. And that isn't going to be based on his contract. Also pretty standard stuff.


You over thinking this big time. Maybe its a product of Lindy being here as long as he was so we haven't seen this happen in years. But everything thats going on right now is perfectly normal.

joshjull is offline  
Old
04-16-2014, 01:57 PM
  #36
Bearbait
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Him and cunney would be great choices
I would agree, good tandem, with a world of experience working with young players

Bearbait is offline  
Old
04-16-2014, 02:00 PM
  #37
OkimLom
Registered User
 
OkimLom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearbait View Post
With Barry Trotz out in Nashville, I wouldn't be surprised to see Phil Housley back in Buffalo working with the young defense and running the power play program. Housley's success working with kids in the USA program makes sense and might be just what the organization could use right now. I don't know if Nolan and him are friends or not, but with all the international coaching they both did, I'm sure they ran into each other somewhere along the line....

Just a thought, but wouldn't be surprised, that's for sure.
Where have I heard that before???

OkimLom is online now  
Old
04-16-2014, 02:03 PM
  #38
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific
 
CriminallyVu1gar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 832
vCash: 500
MOD

More on topic, it seems odd that Sacco and Forton are the ones to stay, but I don't honestly know if Teppo is a good coach or not and Corsi is a billion years old. OUT WITH THE OLD!


Last edited by Fugu: 04-16-2014 at 03:51 PM. Reason: qep
CriminallyVu1gar is offline  
Old
04-16-2014, 02:04 PM
  #39
Coconut Head
Jack I Chel
 
Coconut Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: WNY
Posts: 1,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Agreed upon by who? Posters on this board?


-Nolan was hired because Murray feels he is the best man for the job right now.

-Nolan is being allowed to hire his own assistants. Something thats perfectly normal and happens quite frequently with coaching changes

-Nolan will be the coach until Murray feels he isn't the right man for the job. And that isn't going to be based on his contract. Also pretty standard stuff.


You over thinking this big time. Maybe its a product of Lindy being here as long as he was so we haven't seen this happen in years. But everything thats going on right now is perfectly normal.
I know that. When a new coach comes in, he surrounds himself with the guys who he thinks give him the best chance to succeed and form a comprehensive unit, touching on all aspects of coaching.

As for the bolded, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Using words like "right now" and "until" indicates timeframes. Maybe I just have a different opinion of how I think the team should change as the it and the new core develops within these timeframes. But like i said before, if Nolan can find success and he has adequate support from his staff, I'm not averse to keeping him past his recent extension

Edit: and you may be right regarding the stability of the past, Lindy started coaching the sabres when i was 1 year old, so analyzing a new event is rather confusing

Coconut Head is offline  
Old
04-16-2014, 02:06 PM
  #40
sba
....
 
sba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Islip Terrace, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,609
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
MOD

It's real hard to sell "bad team" to people for multiple years in a row. But if you placate to them with the "hey, we're crappy, but at least we're trying real hard" that's an easy sell in Buffalo. I mean "the hardest working team in hockey" thing was a boon for them.

Meanwhile, Murray can sit back and build the team he wants to ice 2-3 years from now or whatever and gets a shot at a legit franchise player.

Let face it, by the time they're relevant again, Nolan won't be here. The kids will have his ethics instilled in them, the skill players will be in place, and Murray will hire a real coach to get them to the next level.

It's such an amazing plan, I'm legitimately excited about it.


Last edited by Fugu: 04-16-2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: qdp
sba is offline  
Old
04-16-2014, 02:06 PM
  #41
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 57,093
vCash: 500
Awards:
Not a surprise.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline  
Old
04-16-2014, 02:12 PM
  #42
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster
 
Connor McDavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 12,455
vCash: 50
I assumed it was agreed upon that there was a pretty big PR element to Lafontaine/Nolan

Connor McDavid is offline  
Old
04-16-2014, 02:12 PM
  #43
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 40,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
It's real hard to sell "bad team" to people for multiple years in a row. But if you placate to them with the "hey, we're crappy, but at least we're trying real hard" that's an easy sell in Buffalo. I mean "the hardest working team in hockey" thing was a boon for them.

Meanwhile, Murray can sit back and build the team he wants to ice 2-3 years from now or whatever and gets a shot at a legit franchise player.

Let face it, by the time they're relevant again, Nolan won't be here. The kids will have his ethics instilled in them, the skill players will be in place, and Murray will hire a real coach to get them to the next level.

It's such an amazing plan, I'm legitimately excited about it.
The "hardest working team in hockey" also won games. A lot of them actually. So maybe there is something to that....

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
04-16-2014, 02:14 PM
  #44
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster
 
Connor McDavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 12,455
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Sabres Captain View Post
The "hardest working team in hockey" also won games. A lot of them actually. So maybe there is something to that....
They went 73-72-19 in two seasons under nolan :I

Connor McDavid is offline  
Old
04-16-2014, 02:16 PM
  #45
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 40,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinking bleach irl View Post
They went 73-72-19 in two seasons under nolan :I
But they got to the ECF after winning the division his second year. They were trending up.

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
04-16-2014, 02:17 PM
  #46
sba
....
 
sba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Islip Terrace, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,609
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Sabres Captain View Post
The "hardest working team in hockey" also won games. A lot of them actually. So maybe there is something to that....
Is the something "lets put that team in front of the best goalie in the history of the world" ?

sba is offline  
Old
04-16-2014, 02:17 PM
  #47
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster
 
Connor McDavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 12,455
vCash: 50
That might have had something to do with their goalie, to be fair


literally the best ever

Connor McDavid is offline  
Old
04-16-2014, 02:18 PM
  #48
Leelee Phoenix
Registered User
 
Leelee Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hamlet of Ebenezer
Country: Kyrgyzstan
Posts: 1,134
vCash: 50
I think work ethic matters. Beyond that, I disagree with many Buffalo fans.

Just because Nolan mentions working hard and compete level often, doesn't mean that translates to the team on the ice. And this year, I see zero proof of them working harder. There's still a lot of passengers on this team. And don't start with 'accountability', that's just bloviating loser talk that I've had more than enough of with the other Buffalo pro team. Want to be accountable? Win. None of you are, so shut up.

MOD


Last edited by Fugu: 04-16-2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: erasing that line of convo
Leelee Phoenix is offline  
Old
04-16-2014, 02:24 PM
  #49
Coconut Head
Jack I Chel
 
Coconut Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: WNY
Posts: 1,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelee Phoenix View Post
I think work ethic matters. Beyond that, I disagree with many Buffalo fans.

Just because Nolan mentions working hard and compete level often, doesn't mean that translates to the team on the ice. And this year, I see zero proof of them working harder. There's still a lot of passengers on this team. And don't start with 'accountability', that's just bloviating loser talk that I've had more than enough of with the other Buffalo pro team. Want to be accountable? Win. None of you are, so shut up.
See:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvirk View Post
Look at the views most players have had on Nolan's coaching this season, they play so hard for the guy.
It was noticeable how much better and harder they played under Nolan, under Rolston they had no life whatsoever. Of course there are still passengers (Foligno, Grigs, etc) but its a team game

Coconut Head is offline  
Old
04-16-2014, 02:27 PM
  #50
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"
 
TakeThatTootoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,873
vCash: 500
Most people see what they want to see or what they've been told.

I still maintain that Nolan is/was no better than Rolston.

I also do find it genius that Buffalo has been sold on "compete" and "grit", and eventually Nolan will be the savior of the Sabres when he is let go or the contract not renewed.

When in fact any Joe Schmo could drive this dumpster fire to the bottom of the standings.

TakeThatTootoo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.