HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McCauley

Old
03-02-2007, 10:59 AM
faceoffking

vCash: 500
McCauley

so how bad was the Alyn McCauley experiment this season. To mention that he has barely played in any games his season for one and is now out for the rest of the season on reports of the score tv network in canada. Secondly, to say that we COULD have signed a veteren sniper in peter 'special agent' Bondra or brounght back No panic Yannic Perreault would have been fabulous. in Bondra, Kopitar would have had someone who can finish and in Perreault, he would have had the best face off man in the league to learn from. what was deano doing? thoughts?

faceoffking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Bob A Booey

Who???

Bob A Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 11:10 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I think we have to see how he performs after coming in to training camp healthy and starting opening night with the team before we call him a complete bust. This season definitely will be labeled as such, just like what happened with Valeri Bure (even though I must say, Bure looked very impressive in camp and pre-season before getting hurt).

McCauley still has two more years remaining on his contract. Hopefully he can bounce back to form and appear in 80+ games in each of those years.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 11:21 AM
jimmy1100

I agree that we should give McCauley more time. The only reason this season has been a failure as far as Alyn goes is due to injury. If he comes back healthy and can perform to what people's expectations are (a solid defensive center) then he's well worth it.

We've got enough young talent coming that will be focused on putting the puck in the net. I've also read that McCauley is a very smart player. There was a poll of NHL players on ESPN a month or so ago and McCauley came in 5th or 6th on who players thought would majke a great NHL coach in the future. So he has the respect of other player. I think McCauley will be valuable defensive asset next year provided he is healthy.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 11:24 AM
faceoffking

I agree with you there but the was still the fact that Dean signed Alyn with full knowledge of off season knee surgury, possibly knowing that he wouldnt be at camp. I know ther was that familiarity there in San jose but looking at the way perreault played in nashville last year, 30 gms were mad not to sign him in the off season. even if we did what the coyotes did and trade him we couldve received something good in return.

Old
03-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Quattro

he's an ok player but his brother Pavel was spectacular...oh, wait...

Last edited by Quattro: 03-02-2007 at 05:44 PM.
Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 11:36 AM
guzmania

If I ran my personal finances by the standards with which the LA Kings have used in signing free agents wife would have had my guts for garters long ago. Signing a player to a one year contract who can't play because of injuries is one thing but signing at least 2 players to 3 year contracts who are injured and may never play again is cause for any serious fan to wonder about the penny wise but pound foolishness of the contracts being proffered.

Nagging doubts about the off-ice Kings. I hate being a fan and worrying that there's a bad plan in place, because if I see a problem as a casual observer it may just be the tip of the iceberg. I hope I am just overly sensitive and Lombardi shows what he can do with the rest of his tenure. But for now I am on the fence.

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 11:37 AM
JPFT
Los Angeles Kings

well...who can tell...i guess if he comes back healthy and so on, Brown might be able to learn something from McCauley, they both are defensive (hitting) good, so if Alyn can help Dustin get the points (like he did last night vs Anaheim) it would be pretty cool.....

JPFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:29 PM
treize_kushrenada

If he comes back healthy..big IF..

treize_kushrenada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by treize_kushrenada View Post
If he comes back healthy..big IF..

The Kings could've kept Eric Belanger and never even signed McCauley to begin with.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 02:09 PM
faceoffking

I jsut hope that all our free agent signings arent San jose rejects

Old
03-02-2007, 02:18 PM
lakings41

Quote:
Originally Posted by faceoffking View Post

With you on that one. Although i'm a big fan of Thornton's even though he gets a lot of stick here. Sad thing is we see deals and signings going right by us while our management sticks what with they know. Easier said than done of course but if they claim they're working hard i'm a bit confused.

lakings41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
The Kings could've kept Eric Belanger and never even signed McCauley to begin with.
And could have never got Jack Johnson.

What a great move that would have been.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
And could have never got Jack Johnson.

What a great move that would have been.
I'm sure the Kings could've offered anyone instead of Belanger, it was Gleason Carolina wanted. If they really wanted Eric, they wouldn't have flipped him for Vasiciek.

Who knows if Johnson will sign anyways....

Old
03-02-2007, 03:50 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Quote:
I'm sure the Kings could've offered anyone instead of Belanger, it was Gleason Carolina wanted. If they really wanted Eric, they wouldn't have flipped him for Vasiciek.
Are you? You mean we could've offered them Gleason + Raitis Ivanans for Jack Johnson and they would've said yes? While their biggest need was for an NHL ready defenceman, Carolina was dealing with injuries down the middle and needed a serviceable center as well. We had two of those not named Kopitar at the time - Armstrong and Belanger. Armstrong was shown love and Ebel was given a ride to the airport.

multiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiball View Post
Are you? You mean we could've offered them Gleason + Raitis Ivanans for Jack Johnson and they would've said yes? While their biggest need was for an NHL ready defenceman, Carolina was dealing with injuries down the middle and needed a serviceable center as well. We had two of those not named Kopitar at the time - Armstrong and Belanger. Armstrong was shown love and Ebel was given a ride to the airport.

Bottom line is McCauley is way overpaid and I'm sure if the Kings wanted to keep Belanger they could've offered another roster player or a prospect with Gleason.

Old
03-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by faceoffking View Post
McCauley and Thornton were not resigned by San Jose because of salary concerns, not because they were not wanted. SJ went out and signed cheaper, less talented replacements(Brown and Grier), which says how much they wanted someone in that mold of player. Brown + Grier = 2.45mil, Thornton + McCauley = 3.5mil. When McCauley is healthy he is one of the premier towway forwards in the league, and a Selke contender, see 03-04. With this season basically off, and the summer to rest up I am really hoping that McCauley will be healthy next year. Big IF, but if he can regain his form you same guys that are complaining about how overpaid McCauley this year will be singing the praises of one of the best twoway forwards in the league next year.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Malice430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
he's an ok player but is brother Pavel was spectacular...oh, wait...

Malice430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 05:38 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:
They flipped him for Vasiciek after Ebel told the coach to eff off in the 3rd/4th line meeting.

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:

Who knows if Johnson will sign anyways....
Johnson is signing. If you've ever seen him play, staying in college would be disasterous for his career development. He would dominate so much that it would do nothing but ruin him when gets to the pros and is met with adversity. I think he knows it too.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgKings13 View Post
SJ went out and signed cheaper, less talented replacements(Brown and Grier)
No way Grier is less talented than Thornton.

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

It also helps that McCauley has some versatility and can be converted to a wing, seeing how Kopitar, Armstrong and possibly Lundmark will be the returning centers next season, and I think McCauley is better than a fourth line center. Then again, he can work himself up the ranks by starting next season in that position and as a regular on the penalty killing unit.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 06:50 AM
Primakov!

Quote:
Bottom line is McCauley is way overpaid and I'm sure if the Kings wanted to keep Belanger they could've offered another roster player or a prospect with Gleason.
He only makes $700,000 more than Belanger, and I wouldn't called that "way overpaid" by any means. Add to that the fact McCauley was nominated for the Selke, losing to Kris Draper, and he was well worth the salary difference between the two players.

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 10:35 AM
guzmania

He's unable to skate at the NHL level. Anything else we say about his attributes is irrelevant until he can do that again.

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote