HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres announce coaching changes (Sacco, Forton, Numminen, Corsi)

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2014, 03:31 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelee Phoenix View Post
I think work ethic matters. Beyond that, I disagree with many Buffalo fans.

Just because Nolan mentions working hard and compete level often, doesn't mean that translates to the team on the ice. And this year, I see zero proof of them working harder. There's still a lot of passengers on this team. And don't start with 'accountability', that's just bloviating loser talk that I've had more than enough of with the other Buffalo pro team. Want to be accountable? Win. None of you are, so shut up.

When we get to "blue-collar", "lunch pail", then we're hitting idiot talk that I openly mock. Meaningless garbage comparing yourself to people with awful jobs, and not-so-thinly veiled racism.

The fact that you "see zero proof" is all the proof I need to know it's the exact opposite. But to support that I can remember alllllll the way back to the Rolston era and compare it to the last few months. But hey, nothing and no one will convince you otherwise so keep chugging along day after day with that tired blind opinion.

Old
04-16-2014, 03:31 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Most people see what they want to see or what they've been told.

I still maintain that Nolan is/was no better than Rolston.
I'll take on the challenge of proving something somewhat definitively. It won't be certain because people will insist on things like effort that will be seen a million different ways, and the rosters were certainly different, but an in depth analysis should be illuminating.

Old
04-16-2014, 03:32 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Most people see what they want to see or what they've been told.

I also do find it genius that Buffalo has been sold on "compete" and "grit", and eventually Nolan will be the savior of the Sabres when he is let go or the contract not renewed.

When in fact any Joe Schmo could drive this dumpster fire to the bottom of the standings.
I'm sorry, but that's just bizarre to me. I can't understand how you can possibly make that observation.

Old
04-16-2014, 03:39 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I'm sorry, but that's just bizarre to me. I can't understand how you can possibly make that observation.
Why?

He was 4-15-1 the first 20 games of the season. Of those 20 games, how many were against non-playoff teams? Thats right, 4. Darcy made this team bad, not the coach.

Old
04-16-2014, 03:42 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Why?

He was 4-15-1 the first 20 games of the season. Of those 20 games, how many were against non-playoff teams? Thats right, 4. Darcy made this team bad, not the coach.
so do you not take roster into account at all? If Nolan coached the Blackhawks, would the record be close to the Sabres? Of course not, right?

Old
04-16-2014, 03:48 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Most people see what they want to see
demonstrate please?

Quote:
Thank you!

Old
04-16-2014, 03:49 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Why?

He was 4-15-1 the first 20 games of the season. Of those 20 games, how many were against non-playoff teams?
I know when I look at the ice, a win/loss record is what I see

Old
04-16-2014, 03:50 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
demonstrate please?

Thank you!

Demonstrate to me that Nolan is a better coach. Then you can laugh all you want.

Old
04-16-2014, 03:52 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 436
Does anyone have the advanced metrics handy for Rolston v Nolan

Old
04-16-2014, 03:54 PM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

Just jumping in here, but let's assume that Nolan is/was no better than Rolston. Then Rolston's biggest transgression is agreeing to make an all rookie (mostly) NHL team. Rushing youth development is a great way to ruin your prospects and become Edmonton Oilers 2.0. Nolan at least had the sense to recognize that youth players should be playing in their appropriate leagues (be it juniors or AHL).

Old
04-16-2014, 03:55 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1point21Gigawatts View Post
Just jumping in here, but let's assume that Nolan is/was no better than Rolston. Then Rolston's biggest transgression is agreeing to make an all rookie (mostly) NHL team. Rushing youth development is a great way to ruin your prospects and become Edmonton Oilers 2.0. Nolan at least had the sense to recognize that youth players should be playing in their appropriate leagues (be it juniors or AHL).
That wasn't Rolston's decision. That was Darcy's.

I agree that the youth/rookie NHL team was a disaster and Rolston paid dearly for it. He was elevated to an NHL head coach position too soon and Darcy ruined him.

Old
04-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Demonstrate to me that Nolan is a better coach. Then you can laugh all you want.
demonstration : the 2013/14 season

Old
04-16-2014, 04:01 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriminallyVu1gar View Post
Right, and I'm referring to a fan mentality that has existed for a long time that Nolan fans. That's (I think) largely what SBA is referring to as well, the lightning rod just happens to be Ted Nolan himself at this point.
I'll try one more time. We (sba and I) have been arguing over Nolan for months. Thats what this is about. He's been trying to hide behind the fans in recent attacks but its always about Nolan.

As proof his last post with the sign off that he is very excited about Murray's plans. What would that be you ask? Well it would be to suck for a franchise player because Nolan sucks as a coach but will keep the apes happy with effort. Then Murray will hire a real coach. Yes he said real coach.

Maybe now you will understand we have a long standing back and forth and you will stop trying to explain to me what its about

Old
04-16-2014, 04:03 PM
La Cosa Nostra
FIRE MURRAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre the Win View Post
and look what he did for Sabres goaltending. Why the hate man?
What "he did" for Sabres goaltending ? NOTHING. The 2 main starters throughout his whole tenure were Hasek; best goalie ever and Miller, elite Vezina winner. Not hard to look good when you got elite goalies. What did Corsi do for Mika Noronen, the One time voted best prospect in the NHL? What has he done for Enroth? Biron was nothing more then a top 20-25 goalie with Corsi. Bye Corsi, lets get a much better goalie coach.

Old
04-16-2014, 04:06 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
Right, but our goaltenders were pretty good with him around...
I don't think he did a good job developing Biron and Noronen. I think everyone expected more from those two. He failed big time with Dwayne Roloson.

Old
04-16-2014, 04:08 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'll try one more time. We (sba and I) have been arguing over Nolan for months. Thats what this is about. He's been trying to hide behind the fans in recent attacks but its always about Nolan.

As proof his last post with the sign off that he is very excited about Murray's plans. What would that be you ask? Well it would be to suck for a franchise player because Nolan sucks as a coach but will keep the apes happy with effort. Then Murray will hire a real coach. Yes he said real coach.

Maybe now you will understand we have a long standing back and forth and you will stop trying to explain to me what its about
I don't think Nolan is a very good coach, true. I don't like his blue collar horsecrap, true.

I'm not really hiding behind that. There's plenty of evidence to why he's a bad coach...He's a former Jack Adams winner who couldn't keep consistent NHL jobs. That's a big red flag on him. Maybe I sensationalize some of the faults he has...but firing a guy like Corsi, who's coached the hell out of the goalies we've had come through here so he can (probably) bring in Arturs Irbe - one of his Latvian buddies - reeks of classic Nolan to me.

There's something to be said about him though, players seem to love him. Even his former guys are enamored with him to this day.

It's fine, he's not going to hurt anything for this team. He's going to help a lot, he's going to guide us to a great chance at McDavid/Eichel and instill work ethic into the younger guys.

It's a win/win. But I guarantee when they turn the corner, Murray is done with him.

Old
04-16-2014, 04:09 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelee Phoenix View Post
I think work ethic matters. Beyond that, I disagree with many Buffalo fans.

Just because Nolan mentions working hard and compete level often, doesn't mean that translates to the team on the ice. And this year, I see zero proof of them working harder. There's still a lot of passengers on this team. And don't start with 'accountability', that's just bloviating loser talk that I've had more than enough of with the other Buffalo pro team. Want to be accountable? Win. None of you are, so shut up.

When we get to "blue-collar", "lunch pail", then we're hitting idiot talk that I openly mock. Meaningless garbage comparing yourself to people with awful jobs, and not-so-thinly veiled racism.
That's one strange observation.

Old
04-16-2014, 04:09 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
He failed big time with Dwayne Roloson.
Former all-star, consistent NHL starter for like a decade after Corsi coached him?

Old
04-16-2014, 04:11 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

i didn't even know this Forton guy was an Ass. Coach...

Old
04-16-2014, 04:12 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Why bother arguing over who was better between Rolston and Nolan?

Rolston was given a rookie roster, and made things worse with a passive game plan that nobody enjoyed playing. It made for the most noncompetitive Sabre team I ever watched.

Que Nolan, a more likable guy for sure, but lacking in game planning and/or in-game tactics. The guys want to play hard for him for sure, but they were barely any better the rest of the way, and much of the small difference can be attributed to sending rookies down in favor of signing vets.

If Nolan can bring in a bunch of savvy assistants and get a sound technical game plan in motion on the ice, then great. If not, I figure he doesn't deserve to stay long and probably won't. We'll see.

Old
04-16-2014, 04:13 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
I don't think Nolan is a very good coach, true. I don't like his blue collar horsecrap, true.

I'm not really hiding behind that. There's plenty of evidence to why he's a bad coach...He's a former Jack Adams winner who couldn't keep consistent NHL jobs. That's a big red flag on him. Maybe I sensationalize some of the faults he has...but firing a guy like Corsi, who's coached the hell out of the goalies we've had come through here so he can (probably) bring in Arturs Irbe - one of his Latvian buddies - reeks of classic Nolan to me.

There's something to be said about him though, players seem to love him. Even his former guys are enamored with him to this day.

It's fine, he's not going to hurt anything for this team. He's going to help a lot, he's going to guide us to a great chance at McDavid/Eichel and instill work ethic into the younger guys.

It's a win/win. But I guarantee when they turn the corner, Murray is done with him.
I don't think Nolan's a great coach either but I don't get grinding him down while pumping Corsi up. Buffalo had two exceptional goaltending talents, one of whom was already the best goalie in the world before Corsi came here and the other developed into an above-average starter. What happened to every other goalie who played here while Corsi coached? Not a single one of them was any good. Is that on Corsi? Who knows. He's probably at worst a decent goaltending coach, perhaps a good one, but the track record in Buffalo doesn't prove he's a good one.

Old
04-16-2014, 04:15 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

in an odd tid-bit ... Myers attributed his turn around this year to Corsi..

Old
04-16-2014, 04:16 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 436
It's mystifying that having a Vezina winning decade-long starter is evidence against Corsi

Old
04-16-2014, 04:17 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:

Oh god, the horror of a coach wanting to bring in his own guys. Giving Nolan crap about that reeks of such an agenda and bias that it's impossible to take seriously.

Quote:
A lack of talent will do that, not Nolan. Ridiculous statement.

Old
04-16-2014, 04:17 PM
La Cosa Nostra
FIRE MURRAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinking bleach irl View Post
It's mystifying that having a Vezina winning decade-long starter is evidence against Corsi
Because Miller was dominant ever before Corsi. He was going to be that good irregardless of his goaltending coach. Do you forget Miller was the most dominant goalie in recent NCAA history? And was a 40 win starter on the Amerks.

Closed Thread