HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why does everyone refer to us as Minny?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2011, 10:54 AM
  #101
MK9
Registered User
 
MK9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Andover, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
It's mildly annoying but I don't hate it. Makes people sound a little dumb but, hey whatever honks your hooter.


Last edited by Minnesota: 04-16-2014 at 06:02 PM.
MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:19 AM
  #102
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,648
vCash: 500
*** The digs at other team's fans and posters needs to stop. Quit lumping in a few bad apples with the entire fan base.

Yes, most of it is completely trivial and petty, but how do you think it comes across when we follow down that same path? Looks just as laughable. Rise above it and add some substance. I'm tired of editing out junk. Let this be a warning to all of us. Move on.

__________________

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:21 AM
  #103
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,482
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patp14 View Post
Who cares. I guess we needed something to talk about besides the our new influx of talent. NOT lets go back to talking about our new scorers!!!!!!!!

I can't wait until October. Forget the summer. I need a fast forward button
Then go to one of the 80 threads already discussing that!

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:19 PM
  #104
Atomic Punk
Mean Streets
 
Atomic Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Panama
Country: United States
Posts: 8,843
vCash: 50
The call Chicago Chi Town all the time and nobody throws a fit. Get over it and enjoy the 2 week summer

Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:27 AM
  #105
xerox
Hockey pimp
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
I've never heard one person from Philadelphia ***** & moan about being called "Philly" but yet most of you guys do like crazy about being called "Minny"...
"
He has an umbrella store in Philadelphia. That's the only city that comes to mind right now. Philadelphia, 'cause you can say "Philly" and the people from Philadelphia will not get mad. Like if you say "Frisco," San Francisco people say, "****** off!" But if you say "Philly" they say, "Alright!" Because I don't always have time to say "Philadelphia." Sometimes I just need that word to be two syllables. Phil-a-del-phi-a. ******, five! Your town would be called Philly too if it had five syllables!
"

-Mitch Hedberg

xerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:46 AM
  #106
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat
 
llamapalooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerox View Post
"
He has an umbrella store in Philadelphia. That's the only city that comes to mind right now. Philadelphia, 'cause you can say "Philly" and the people from Philadelphia will not get mad. Like if you say "Frisco," San Francisco people say, "****** off!" But if you say "Philly" they say, "Alright!" Because I don't always have time to say "Philadelphia." Sometimes I just need that word to be two syllables. Phil-a-del-phi-a. ******, five! Your town would be called Philly too if it had five syllables!
"

-Mitch Hedberg
This man speaks the truth. As a native San Franciscan, I can confirm that any member of my Californian family will tell you to go **** yourself if you think Frisco is anything other than a town in Texas. I'm only ok with Philly because that nickname has wide acceptance among locals (see also: MLB team).

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:44 PM
  #107
se7en
infamous...
 
se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mission Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,090
vCash: 500
Mitch Hedberg was the man! One of my favorite comedians of all time... Sad he's gone...

"I used to want to be a professional tennis player. I practiced & practiced so that I could be the best... but one day I gave it all up because I realized that no matter how good I got, I would never be as good as, a wall..."


anyway, late last night something occured to me... Soooo many people complain about being called "Minny"...

Isn't there some irony in the fact that nearly all of us refer(ed) to Marian Gaborik as "Gabby"..? Technically isnt that the pot calling the kettle black!? We don't want to be called "Minny" because we think all sorts of things about it but yet we call Gaborik "Gabby" for basically all the same reasons people would say "Minny" (shorter, easier, faster, it's kind of catchy, etc, etc...)

just saying...

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:53 PM
  #108
Atomic Punk
Mean Streets
 
Atomic Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Panama
Country: United States
Posts: 8,843
vCash: 50
There should be no nick names in Minnesota. It apparently makes everyone crabby.

Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:22 PM
  #109
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 11,147
vCash: 97
Going against the grain here. Born and lived here all my life and could care less about people saying Minny....have even said (and typed) it myself many times.

Let the flaming begin.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 03:09 PM
  #110
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,648
vCash: 500
Bump.

It's hard to read and listen to anything about the upcoming playoffs without hearing/seeing it and I'm becoming a little batty...

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 03:37 PM
  #111
gphr513
Registered User
 
gphr513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,657
vCash: 500
"Minny"....

Nails on a freaking chalkboard.

gphr513 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 03:42 PM
  #112
Minny Lakes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 295
vCash: 50
Y'all probably hate me than.

Minny Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 03:50 PM
  #113
Generic User
Dynamic as they come
 
Generic User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 6,686
vCash: 500
Next year's playoff avatar theme. Minnie Mouse and all things miniature. Judo, *****es.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 03:54 PM
  #114
Podgornik
Registered User
 
Podgornik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
Necro bump!

This absolutely gets my blood boiling for some reason...just cannot stand the name.

Podgornik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 04:05 PM
  #115
TK 421
Donut Squad
 
TK 421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 758
Hey guys, how's everything there in Minny? Wait...why are you looking at me like that? What's the knife for? We're going fishing right?

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 04:07 PM
  #116
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,656
vCash: 500
I still don't care and call it "Minny" when I don't want to type.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 04:13 PM
  #117
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,176
vCash: 16145
I don't mind it when people want to abbreviate. However, when people use it as their only and sole name of the state, I can't stand it. Its just like writing, you need to mix up words rather than repeating the same one over and over again. Barry Melrose couldn't bring himself to say Minnesota for much of the Frozen Four. He is a *******, but still, not once.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 05:44 PM
  #118
Paul Bunyan
Mythical Lumberjack
 
Paul Bunyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Land of Ice and Snow
Country: United States
Posts: 578
vCash: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I don't mind it when people want to abbreviate. However, when people use it as their only and sole name of the state, I can't stand it. Its just like writing, you need to mix up words rather than repeating the same one over and over again. Barry Melrose couldn't bring himself to say Minnesota for much of the Frozen Four. He is a *******, but still, not once.
That's what put me over the edge. Now I can't cope.

Paul Bunyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 07:00 PM
  #119
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,656
vCash: 500
I don't say "Minny" I just type it, especially on a phone or tablet. It's not hard to say "Minnesota".

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 07:11 PM
  #120
Minny Lakes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 295
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I don't say "Minny" I just type it, especially on a phone or tablet. It's not hard to say "Minnesota".
Maybe people aren't sure if it's MinnesoDa or MinnesoTa so they just avoid it all together (verbally)?

Minny Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 07:17 PM
  #121
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,403
vCash: 50
whining about it on a message board only gives people another reason (besides laziness--which is generally why i use it) to type it. I work with a bunch of non-natives and most use it amongst themselves. Its an abbreviated form of a long name, absolutely not derogatory in any way. If anything there's an undertone of pride in feeling familiar enough to use it.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 11:52 AM
  #122
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Right behind you....
Country: United States
Posts: 6,150
vCash: 50
During the NCAA Frozen Four, Melrose was going on with "Minny this" or "Minny that"...very, very annoying.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 12:12 PM
  #123
W75
Wegistewed Usew
 
W75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,515
vCash: 50
I remember I did it once few years ago. But I learned the lesson.

W75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 12:17 PM
  #124
Keeptdos
Registered User
 
Keeptdos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,065
vCash: 140
I just avoid using it on Wild board.

Keeptdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 12:21 PM
  #125
ThatGuy22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,607
vCash: 500
I have officially heard Parise call it Minny. Thus its fine in my book(I never had a problem with it in the first place).

A few months ago at the end of the road trip during a post game interview he said something along the lines of "Well, we just need to go back to Minny and keep it going" or something like that.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.