HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

General Discussion (Current Team/Player News) - to the golf course

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2014, 05:05 PM
billingtons ghost

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltLikeAnOx View Post
Schneider is going to get 8 years at 6.5 million per year...anyone who thinks he would accept less is delusional
yeah, I get it - he's a very good goaltender. Who played his max this year and won the same amount of games as Ben Scrivens did playing with Edmonton - and compiling worse stats than Halak, Elliot, Bernier, Bobrovsky, Bishop, Khubodin, Price, Rask, Varlamov. I'll leave off Harding, Johnson, and Anderson because they all had 15 fewer starts and are more likely in the 'backup wins on good team anyway) stat category.

Varlamov got 5.8+ for 5 years when he resigned. Bobrovsky at 5.625. Price, playing in the toughest media market, with a longer resume got 6.5x5 years.

Bernier, Elliot and Halak are too volatile to compare - but unfortunately Cory doesn't have a long enough track record to say he isn't cut from the same cloth as those guys - who put up ridiculous #s one year, and crap the next.

I think 6.5@6 years might get it done- but I wouldn't pull the 'delusional' card on anyone quite yet for saying 5.8 might get it done... especially when looking at the two Russians above (including the Vezina winner).

Old
04-16-2014, 05:42 PM
JimEIV

Cory Schneider was so valuable he was gotten for a first round pick.

A #9 overall...

Philly had the #11 overall and just bought out Bryzgal and didn't offer more.

I'm not saying this to disparage Cory, I'm say this to point out how flooded the goalie market is.

Nobody is offering big money to a goalie in UFA...Bryzgalov is really the only one I can remember?

How can a goalie that was only worth a 1st round pick 9 months ago now be worth 6.5 million x8????

Old
04-16-2014, 05:44 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post

A #9 overall...

I'm not saying this to disparage Cory, I'm say this to point out how flooded the goalie market is.

Nobody is offering big money to a goalie in UFA...Bryzgalov is really the only one I can remember?

How can a goalie that was only worth a 1st round pick 9 months ago now be worth 6.5 million x8????

What do you mean "only"?

Old
04-16-2014, 05:46 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

vCash: 50
I love how you say 'a first round pick' like all first round picks have the same value.

Old
04-16-2014, 05:46 PM
MadDevil

Well, it was Gillis who traded Cory, so I'm not sure that's the best evaluation of his value.

Old
04-16-2014, 05:49 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

I still have no idea why people lose there mind over Schneider possibly getting 6.5 when we have no cap problems now or in the near future. His new contract won't prohibit us from doing anything so I guess were just complaining to complain now.

Old
Brodeur

Quote:

A #9 overall...

Certain teams don't like to trade top picks/prospects for goaltenders. Philadelphia tends to be one of them, San Jose is another. Plus the Flyers traded for Steve Mason a few months beforehand as their reclamation project. Judging by their draft meetings, they were solely focused on landing a defenseman with that pick.

Old
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaossKing View Post
I love how you say 'a first round pick' like all first round picks have the same value.
A first round is not that valuable they are moved all the time.

Old
04-16-2014, 05:50 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

"Only worth a top 10 pick"

That's gold.

Old
04-16-2014, 05:52 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict Parisechuk View Post
"Only worth a top 10 pick"

That's gold.
Bobby Ryan was worth 3 times that.

You know why? Goalies are irrelevant.

Old
04-16-2014, 05:53 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Quote:
Whats your point?

Old
04-16-2014, 05:55 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Welp, I guess that settles it. Offer Cory 4.5 and if he doesn't want it, then trade him. Lets keep playing the corpse of Brodeur because goalies are irrelevant!

Old
04-16-2014, 05:59 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Welp, I guess that settles it. Offer Cory 4.5 and if he doesn't want it, then trade him. Lets keep playing the corpse of Brodeur because goalies are irrelevant!
Who out there is going to offer him 6+???

Old
04-16-2014, 06:00 PM
RSeen

Quote:

You know why? Goalies are irrelevant.
This is probably the most ridiculous thing I've heard on this board. And that says a lot...

Old
04-16-2014, 06:02 PM
RSeen

Quote:

A #9 overall...

If I remember correctly Edmonton offered a package of the 7th overall + Petry. Van chose us b/c we aren't in the same conference, but it was also a very deep draft.

Old
04-16-2014, 06:02 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSeen View Post
This is probably the most ridiculous thing I've heard on this board. And that says a lot...
Name two goalies who signed giant UFA contracts or returned a huge sum in a trade.

Old
04-16-2014, 06:04 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Quote:
Who out there is going to offer him 6+???
Hes not a free agent. Who cares what other teams would or wouldn't offer him, thats moot. I care what Lou will offer him and I guarantee at it will be at 6 or just above 6 million. I wouldn't be mad if it was just under 6 but I wouldn't put money on that happening.

Old
04-16-2014, 06:05 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
If I remember correctly Edmonton offered a package of the 7th overall + Petry. Van chose us b/c we aren't in the same conference, but it was also a very deep draft.
So Vancouver couldn't find anything from outside the conference better than a 9th overall for a top 10 goalie in the league?

Old
04-16-2014, 06:07 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Hes not a free agent. Who cares what other teams would or wouldn't offer him, thats moot. I care what Lou will offer him and I guarantee at it will be at 6 or just above 6 million. I wouldn't be mad if it was just under 6 but I wouldn't put money on that happening.
You're not very good at negotiations are you?

What is his alternative to what the devils offer this summer? Hit the open market next summer and gamble he doesn't get hurt, doesn't have a terrible season and hope there is a team interested....

I offer 5.5 for 5 years.

Old
04-16-2014, 06:07 PM
RSeen

Quote:
Name two goalies who signed giant UFA contracts or returned a huge sum in a trade.
There is only 30 starting jobs in the league so of course there are going to be less big contracts. Less jobs available. Most teams lock up their goalies, not like goalies don't sign big contracts, just look at Quick, Lundqvist, Price, Rask, etc. Free agent forwards and defensemen have more options than goalies. Just because the tenders have less choices that doesn't make them irrelevant.

Old
04-16-2014, 06:11 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
There is only 30 starting jobs in the league so of course there are going to be less big contracts. Less jobs available. Most teams lock up their goalies, not like goalies don't sign big contracts, just look at Quick, Lundqvist, Price, Rask, etc. Free agent forwards and defensemen have more options than goalies. Just because the tenders have less choices that doesn't make them irrelevant.
I don't think you've been following this conversation very long...

It is about what Cory is worth...why pay a guy top 10 salary when there is virtually no place for him to go and almost no market.... it would be beyond dumb to pay Cory like a top 5 or 6 goalie when he has almost no options.

Old
04-16-2014, 06:15 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't think you've been following this conversation very long...

It is about what Cory is worth...why pay a guy top 10 salary when there is virtually no place for him to go and almost no market.... it would be beyond dumb to pay Cory like a top 5 or 6 goalie when he has almost no options.
theres a big difference between teams who are interested in giving up a top 10 pick for him, and teams that would be interested in getting him for absolutely nothing. you really, honestly think not a single team will go after him in UFA and is willign to beat what YOU consider to be fair value?

Old
04-16-2014, 06:15 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

You don't need fifty other options. All it takes is 'one' other option. And there's one big one sitting in the division who may just throw their goalie overboard if things go awry in the playoffs again.

How many of those goalies even GET to FA before getting big contracts?

Old
04-16-2014, 06:18 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
You don't need fifty other options. All it takes is 'one' other option. And there's one big one sitting in the division who may just throw their goalie overboard if things go awry in the playoffs again.

How many of those goalies even GET to FA before getting big contracts? There's a reason they don't hit the market/get traded (sans Luongo, whose contract hindered trade #2 and trade #1 Florida was moronic).
There are going be 6 or 7 this summer. Philly is going to have way too much money tied up in skaters to offer big money to a goalie also.

Old
04-16-2014, 06:19 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Quote:
You're not very good at negotiations are you?

What is his alternative to what the devils offer this summer? Hit the open market next summer and gamble he doesn't get hurt, doesn't have a terrible season and hope there is a team interested....

I offer 5.5 for 5 years.
Personally, I wouldn't freak out if he gets 5.5 but I still wouldn't bet on that happening. I think exactly 6 would be fair for all parties. I don't know why your acting like a 500k difference is some huge deal, especially when the cap is going up and were not going to be in cap trouble anytime soon.

Closed Thread