HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

question on leaving equipment in the car

Old
04-13-2014, 12:29 PM
bluuuurr

vCash: 500
question on leaving equipment in the car

With a new work schedule I pretty much have to go straight to the rink after work to be able to catch any ice time. My question is-

Is leaving stuff in a car for 8 hours a day going to do anything funny to it? Keep in mind that it will probably be getting into the 90's and 100's during the summer. My main concern was what it might do to a composite stick.. or am I just paranoid?

bluuuurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 12:48 PM
Brodeur

I'm not sure if it's an urban myth, but I've heard cold could affect sticks but I'm not sure I've seen anything about heat. Is it possible for you to bring your sticks inside? My first thought is that your glove palms might get kinda crunchy (can't seem to think of a better adjective) in the heat.

Also, my main thought it the hockey stench which may become permanent in your car. I was paranoid that I had grown immune to my own hockey smell. I've had multiple gals in the passenger seat of my car ask me unsolicited "So......when are you getting a new car?"

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 01:58 PM
AIREAYE

Don't do it, it could warp some of the plastics and melt some of the glues in your gear. It could also weaken your skates over time and essentially 'remold' them. Plus the smell LOL.

Unless your sticks are wood, those shouldn't be a problem, moreso helmets and skates. You should find a place at work to put your gear.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 02:16 PM
bluuuurr

Thanks, I guess I'll have to haul them inside and find a place for them. I'll have to prepare myself for the funny questions as to why I'm hauling around a bunch of hockey gear into my new work center.

bluuuurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 06:42 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Living in university dorms, my stuff stays in the car except when it's being used it gets taken out to air every two weeks or so though

Hasn't done anything funny to anything, then again the weather doesn't get to either extreme here

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 01:33 PM
g04tm4n

vCash: 50
I am currently in the same situation, have to race to the rink after work. I park under a tree, but the sun catches at all angles. I haven't had issues with smell yet, the kit goes out of the car in the evening, but was worried about the stick as it is most exposed to sunlight.

I do not really want to take my gear inside, as ice hockey is not a well known sport here, I would have to explain what everything is to every second person I walk by. Are you sure it won't damage the stick?

g04tm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 03:42 PM
fryer98

I kept my stuff in my car for most of college and the 5-6 years after. I had no problems with the heat/cold doing anything to my equipment. The only thing I can think of happening is my cage rusted pretty fast since it didn't air out.

I would take my skates out of the bag to air out some in the truck here and there.

fryer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 04:24 PM
MattGTI

I'm willing to bet that your equipment spent a decent amount of time in a warehouse, and the back of some delivery truck in some pretty extreme temps(whether it be hot or cold) for an elongated time before it got dropped off at your LHS for you to purchase.

That being said, I don't think its a great idea to keep your stuff in the trunk of your car for a week during a heat wave. I also don't think its going to hurt it keeping it in your car for 8 hours during your work day, one time a week.

Just be smart, try and park in the shade, crack a window or two, and don't leave it in there when you don't need to(or while its drenched in sweat). It will be fine.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 02:51 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
I have no idea how you could live with the smell of hot hockey equipment in the car.

Kevin Danko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 03:03 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

I feel like it would do more to your car than your gear.

Patmac40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 03:07 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

It's not gonna smell very good, that's for sure.

I wouldn't worry too much about it TBH. If you were doing it every single day it might cause some minor warping in the soft materials. If anything there might possibly be a more serious issue if you took your bag from 100-degree heat, directly into a particularly cold rink. Then you might find some of the adhesives getting a bit brittle.

Wouldn't worry about the sticks. Composite materials are more than tough enough to handle a bit of heat. Bear in mind it takes a blowtorch to make a wooden stick pliable, and that's a lot softer than aluminum, graphite, or composite sticks.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 03:50 PM
StoneColdGMJN

Open up your bag, take out the essentials (gloves, skates, shin pads) so they can air out and leave your windows cracked. You'll be fine.

Don't leave everything zipped up. Having everything trapped in with all the sweat and no fresh air flow will cause a lot of bacteria to grow. Smells bad and puts you at risk for staph/MRSA infections.

StoneColdGMJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I wouldn't be worried about the stick so much as the gear itself. You can try it and keep an eye to make sure none of the glues are melting and the gear starts falling apart.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 12:40 PM
g04tm4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
I'm willing to bet that your equipment spent a decent amount of time in a warehouse, and the back of some delivery truck in some pretty extreme temps(whether it be hot or cold) for an elongated time before it got dropped off at your LHS for you to purchase.

That being said, I don't think its a great idea to keep your stuff in the trunk of your car for a week during a heat wave. I also don't think its going to hurt it keeping it in your car for 8 hours during your work day, one time a week.

Just be smart, try and park in the shade, crack a window or two, and don't leave it in there when you don't need to(or while its drenched in sweat). It will be fine.
lol, I can most certainly not crack a window, but thanks all for the feedback, and for the OP creating this thread.

Old
04-17-2014, 05:59 AM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by g04tm4n View Post
lol, I can most certainly not crack a window, but thanks all for the feedback, and for the OP creating this thread.
South Africa problems

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 12:19 AM
g04tm4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane Nightmares View Post
South Africa problems
lol yup that's it....I'll take the smell of hockey equipment in my car over not having hockey equipment or a car any day

Old
04-18-2014, 12:26 AM
intangible

vCash: 139
I keep my gear in the car all the time; it's the primary reason I get limo tint on all the windows of all of my vehicles. Don't want people stealing a thousand or so bucks worth of equipment.

Outside of a definite increase in smell and, as another guy said, rust being a slightly larger problem, I haven't had a bit of a problem. Washing your stuff regularly, take out your wet clothes, and you won't have a problem.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 12:53 AM
g04tm4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
I keep my gear in the car all the time; it's the primary reason I get limo tint on all the windows of all of my vehicles. Don't want people stealing a thousand or so bucks worth of equipment.

Outside of a definite increase in smell and, as another guy said, rust being a slightly larger problem, I haven't had a bit of a problem. Washing your stuff regularly, take out your wet clothes, and you won't have a problem.
Well, my hockey bag goes in the boot of my car, so most of it is away from direct sunlight, except for the stick that has to go in the back seat, And I take it out in the evening after practice to dry out, and that is how it stays until the next week's practice, so I reckon it should be fine. I also dry off all metal bits with a towel after practice.