HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT | March 3rd | Wolf Pack @ Philly | PACK WIN 3-2 SO

Old
03-03-2007, 09:19 PM
DarthSather99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR_Geoff1 View Post
Jessiman looks like a monster out there... how come he can't take advantage of his size?!

PP Wolfpack coming up.... good chance to win it here
he will, give him time ....

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:19 PM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Does the AHL have 4 guys go for each team in the shootout?
not sure, but i'd definitely like to see the SO's expanded to 5 or so skaters.. just like in soccer.. its a better sample size for the teams (skaters and goalies).. and thusly its a better view of which team is better (albeit only on breakaways)..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
And he looked very good on the PK, from what I saw.
The guy has come alive before with experience under his belt and some reign loosened on his leash as we saw in Maine.

I really think the kid could explode next year with this first year under his belt, and given the reign and support to make some offensive plays. He should be able to use his muscle to just power his way up the statsheet in the near future IMO.

Old
03-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
not sure, but i'd definitely like to see the SO's expanded to 5 or so skaters.. just like in soccer.. its a better sample size for the teams (skaters and goalies).. and thusly its a better view of which team is better (albeit only on breakaways)..
it is 5 skaters in the shootout...

it was already 3 goals for the pack to only 1 goal for philly... no need to take the final 5th round of shooters as philly cant score twice on one shot to tie things up

round 1- 0:0
round 2- 1:1
round 3- 2:1 pack
round 4- 3:1 pack
round 5- not needed....

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 11:20 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

A quick post game note....Bourret was pretty much invisable in my eyes. Didn't notice anything from him really. I'm not passing judgement on him though because its just his 2nd game with a new team, new system.

Dubinsky scoring those 2 goals is a great sign also, he was on a cold streak until now only scoring 1 goal in the past 8 games. Hopefully he will start to find the back of the net and gain more confidence after tonight.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 01:35 AM
nyrage

What's the story on Purinton? Why is he still on the team? The only thing I can think of is that maybe we need him to help give our penalty killers some practice.

nyrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 02:18 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrage View Post
What's the story on Purinton? Why is he still on the team? The only thing I can think of is that maybe we need him to help give our penalty killers some practice.
leadership. sometimes people forget just how young the team is. im not sure of the stats but it wouldnt surprise me one bit if they were the youngest team in the entire AHL. you need guys like Purinton and Isbister to keep guys settled to lead the way. why do you think the pens traded for Roberts? (albeit Roberts can actually play, Purinton...not so much)

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 03:56 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR_Geoff1 View Post
Jessiman looks like a monster out there... how come he can't take advantage of his size?!
The thing is, as a D if you go up against someone 6'6 in the corners, you go after the puck instead of taking the body. Jessiman is pretty easily stripped of the puck down low, and that must be a strength. Right now if Jessiman had the exact same skill set but were 6'0 he would contribute about the same. He is pretty talented.

Its not always easy to use your size, though Jagr is among the best in the world at dooing it. He got a real hockey a$s, puts it out like a feeler, and fend guys off.

I don't think its a flaw thats easily fixed by Jessiman. He just must work at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
anyone think maybe korps has a future at center? ... may help some problems we have there.
I personally think he got much more potential on the wing. A centers strength should always be his hockeysense. Korpis hockey sense is very good, but its not great. It aren't noticed all that much in the AHL, but if Korpi went up against a trapping team in the NHL as a center it would be more obvious.

The AHL aren't a great league, Philly aren't a great team, but man does Korpikoski look good at times. He got a little Zetterberg in him, he got a little Simon Gagne in him, gotta love his combination of speed, balance, workethic and stickhandling.

I would love to see these lines in NY next season, I would love it soo much;
Hossa-Nylander-Jagr
Straka-Dubinsky-Shanahan
Prucha-Cullen-Korpikoski
Avery-Bettts-Ortmayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
What's becoming apparent, is this team has many different weapons that could come alive and take the team to victory on any given night. Some nights its the Pack led by Korpikoski, some like tonight Dubinsky, most by Callahan, Montoya steals the show every here and there while providing stable goaltending every game.

I'm liking what I'm seeing in the system. And I truly think the guys down there like each other and will go through walls for each other. That is one thing we definately need to see come with them, even if they do ascend separately.
I love how tough HFD is. They got two fighters in Purinton and Lessard, who both got 400+PIM seasons in the AHL. But they also got Liffiton, Byers and Taylor who are good 2nd tier fighteers, and almost a handful more of guys who can defend themselfs. Nobody are taking libertys with this team thats for sure. Guys like Dubinsky can get away with ugly and really dirty elbows without anyone looking twice at him.

Though, as much as I love how HFD is playing, a standing question is what da heck so many other teams in the AHL is thinking? You just can't play the same style as you did before the rulechanges. Its basically a free invitation to dominate the game against them.

Last edited by Ola: 03-04-2007 at 04:09 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 06:45 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
The thing is, as a D if you go up against someone 6'6 in the corners, you go after the puck instead of taking the body. Jessiman is pretty easily stripped of the puck down low, and that must be a strength. Right now if Jessiman had the exact same skill set but were 6'0 he would contribute about the same. He is pretty talented.

Its not always easy to use your size, though Jagr is among the best in the world at dooing it. He got a real hockey a$s, puts it out like a feeler, and fend guys off.

I don't think its a flaw thats easily fixed by Jessiman. He just must work at it.
I didn't see that from him last night. When he got the puck along the boards, the defenders had a hard time getting the puck away from him. In fact, I was surprised at how well he moved with the puck coming out of the defensive zone. A couple of times, I saw him collect the puck, and head up ice with it, and then push the defenders back while getting off a good shot on goal on the off-wing. And, I'm intrigued by a line combo Schoeny put together late in the game. Dubi had been centering Byers and Cally throughout most of the game. But, late in the 3rd, Cally moved next to Dawes and and Korpi, and Dubi started centering Jessiman and Bourret.

Quote:
I personally think he got much more potential on the wing. A centers strength should always be his hockeysense. Korpis hockey sense is very good, but its not great. It aren't noticed all that much in the AHL, but if Korpi went up against a trapping team in the NHL as a center it would be more obvious.

The AHL aren't a great league, Philly aren't a great team, but man does Korpikoski look good at times. He got a little Zetterberg in him, he got a little Simon Gagne in him, gotta love his combination of speed, balance, workethic and stickhandling.

I would love to see these lines in NY next season, I would love it soo much;
Hossa-Nylander-Jagr
Straka-Dubinsky-Shanahan
Prucha-Cullen-Korpikoski
Avery-Bettts-Ortmayer
I agree Korpi should be on the wing. But, I think you might under-rate his hockey sense. He just seemed to be in the right place all the time last night. He is very sharp defensively. And, when he gets the puck, he just goes. And, he looks like he's getting a better idea of what to do offensively. He goes to the fron of the net, and put himself in the right shooting position. I still if the Rangers are lucky, this kid develops into their version of Martin Havlat. He's got the wheels and the motor. It's just a question of whether his offensive skills develop to that degree.

Quote:
I love how tough HFD is. They got two fighters in Purinton and Lessard, who both got 400+PIM seasons in the AHL. But they also got Liffiton, Byers and Taylor who are good 2nd tier fighteers, and almost a handful more of guys who can defend themselfs. Nobody are taking libertys with this team thats for sure. Guys like Dubinsky can get away with ugly and really dirty elbows without anyone looking twice at him.
They are such a physical team. They all finish their checks. The defenseman hit hard. And, you forgot that the likes of Dubinsky and Jessiman have no problem throwing down, too.

Quote:
Though, as much as I love how HFD is playing, a standing question is what da heck so many other teams in the AHL is thinking? You just can't play the same style as you did before the rulechanges. Its basically a free invitation to dominate the game against them.
Hartford pretty much owned the ice last night. I missed the Phantoms' goals. But, Hartford had a clear territorial advantage, and Philly was lucky to come away with a point. If not for the play of Scott Monroe in net for the Phantoms, that game was a 'Pack blowout.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 07:05 AM
Ola

Quote:
I didn't see that from him last night. When he got the puck along the boards, the defenders had a hard time getting the puck away from him. In fact, I was surprised at how well he moved with the puck coming out of the defensive zone. A couple of times, I saw him collect the puck, and head up ice with it, and then push the defenders back while getting off a good shot on goal on the off-wing. And, I'm intrigued by a line combo Schoeny put together late in the game. Dubi had been centering Byers and Cally throughout most of the game. But, late in the 3rd, Cally moved next to Dawes and and Korpi, and Dubi started centering Jessiman and Bourret.
He is very strong on the puck in HFD's end and in the neural zone, especially along the boards in thoose situations. He is also very strong driving to the net.

But its down low in the attackingzone he isn't much of a factor, and its in that aspect he should atleast be the best player in the AHL, its if he could contribute in thoose factors he could have had a good future in the NHL. Lets say you got a line with Jessiman-Nylander-Shanahan. Hugh is a decent passer, and he got pretty good hands. If it were really hard to take the puck from him down low, he play in a offensive role were he goes hard to the net, is great on the cirlce, and sets up snipers in the slot from behind the net.

Hugh is a monster, he is so big. He ought to be impossible to take the puck from down low. Now he is just avg.

Quote:
I agree Korpi should be on the wing. But, I think you might under-rate his hockey sense. He just seemed to be in the right place all the time last night. He is very sharp defensively. And, when he gets the puck, he just goes. And, he looks like he's getting a better idea of what to do offensively. He goes to the fron of the net, and put himself in the right shooting position. I still if the Rangers are lucky, this kid develops into their version of Martin Havlat. He's got the wheels and the motor. It's just a question of whether his offensive skills develop to that degree.
Maybe be. Or I don't think I am underrating his hockeysense, I think its really good. But maybe I am overrating the need for hockeysense in a center. There is also diffrent hockeysense for a wing/center/D. Korpikoskis hockey sense as a center, gooing up against a trap ect, aren't great. But he is atleast on par with Cullen when it comes to his hockeysense. But he is miles and miles after a Niklas Bäckström/Peter Forsberg/Scott Gomez/Kouivu. Which is to be expected from a wing playing center. Though Zetterberg for example made that jump, or he played center up to 15 but then played wing till he were around 20.

Old
03-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Hugh is a monster, he is so big. He ought to be impossible to take the puck from down low. Now he is just avg.

Maybe be. Or I don't think I am underrating his hockeysense, I think its really good. But maybe I am overrating the need for hockeysense in a center. There is also diffrent hockeysense for a wing/center/D. Korpikoskis hockey sense as a center, gooing up against a trap ect, aren't great. But he is atleast on par with Cullen when it comes to his hockeysense. But he is miles and miles after a Niklas Bäckström/Peter Forsberg/Scott Gomez/Kouivu. Which is to be expected from a wing playing center. Though Zetterberg for example made that jump, or he played center up to 15 but then played wing till he were around 20.
I really disagree with both your points but I don't have the time to respond. I'll write a more detailed post later.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Pizza

You know it's kind of funny but these comments about Jessiman are comparable in some ways to the discussion on going re: Hossa. From what I'm reading their games seem to be developing along similar lines in that they are big players that use their size to shield and control the puck. They both also have a skill set that includes decent skating, speed, shot and hands. It all comes down to how you put the tools you have together into a game that is effective.

All pretty obvious, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Ola

Pizza- But Hossa were further along as a 19 y/o then what Hugh is as a soon to be 23 y/o.

Not saying that we completly should give up Hugh, but he must improve in allot of aspects.