HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Wings almost added Nolan -- Too

Old
03-02-2007, 07:14 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Wings almost added Nolan -- Too

I saw this on the deadline day, but George Malik at MLive cites the first comment from Holland on it. The Wings already had Bert in the bag, and obviously Calder. Anyone remember what the Yotes wanted for Nolan? If he had approved the trade, this Wings team would look pretty different. Interesting.

Link to MLive:

Quote:
“Owen Nolan’s wife is pregnant, it is my understanding,” Holland said after Thursday’s morning skate. “Is due some time in April. Mike Barnett said it was Owen’s decision.
“That was around 10 o’clock Tuesday morning. He was one of the options we were exploring. At that time we really knew we had Todd Bertuzzi. ... Obviously, (we) knew we had Calder. We tried to add one more player. Nolan was one of the guys we explored.”

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 08:54 AM
HockeyinHD

Jiri Hudler should send Nolan's wife a box of chocolates...

...then again, maybe he wanted to leave.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
expecially interesting since it appears everything was ironed out and the only thing that stopped it was Nolan himself. As it is, it looks like Hudler would be forced out of the lineup once everyone is healthy, I wonder who would get pushed out if we had Nolan, too. Flip? Sammy? Cleary?

Whoever sat, the end result would have certainly been the wings being a bigger, stronger team.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 09:07 AM
jacK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
expecially interesting since it appears everything was ironed out and the only thing that stopped it was Nolan himself. As it is, it looks like Hudler would be forced out of the lineup once everyone is healthy, I wonder who would get pushed out if we had Nolan, too. Flip? Sammy? Cleary?

Whoever sat, the end result would have certainly been the wings being a bigger, stronger team.
older, slower

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 09:23 AM
8snake

Quote:
older, slower
Bolded for emphasis. Owen Nolan at this point in his career is a poor man's Shanahan...Nolan hasnt been a physical force in years. Glad the Nolan trade didnt go down if only to keep Flip in the line-up.

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Jiri Hudler should send Nolan's wife a box of chocolates...

...then again, maybe he wanted to leave.

I don't know about that. I think I'd rather face exile to Chicago or Boston before I'd got to Phoenix or Miami (if I were a pro hockey player, which of course is not an issue I've ever had to face). How do you stay motivated when you sit in the cellar all the time? If Hudler is still living in Lang's basement, he's probably got a nice set up right now. That's all gonna change this summer.

Old
03-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post

Thinking of where Nolan would have fit and who got pushed to the press box... I do wonder where Greg Johnson was supposed to fit if he'd made it past his physical. The team had no other options for Hudler and Kopecky - correct? - and Filppula is on a two-way. We had 3 goalies on the roster too. I think if Nolan had been acquired, the diminutive Mr. Hoodlum was probably odd man out if he wasn't the trade bait. If he was, I bet Flip would've sat... no point in leaving important playoff matters in the hands of children.

Last edited by Fugu: 03-02-2007 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Flip has a two-way, not one-way deal.
Old
03-02-2007, 11:47 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I saw this on the deadline day, but George Malik at MLive cites the first comment from Holland on it. The Wings already had Bert in the bag, and obviously Calder. Anyone remember what the Yotes wanted for Nolan? If he had approved the trade, this Wings team would look pretty different. Interesting.

The consensus seemed to be a 2nd round pick or equivalent would nab Nolan. Hudler probably would have sufficed.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 11:50 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I don't know about that. I think I'd rather face exile to Chicago or Boston before I'd got to Phoenix or Miami (if I were a pro hockey player, which of course is not an issue I've ever had to face). How do you stay motivated when you sit in the cellar all the time?
Well you'd sure get a lot more quality golfing time in.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:57 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Well you'd sure get a lot more quality golfing time in.
I don't think Hudler would do well on a golf course the first time. He'd probably think he was only allowed to play every sixth hole or something... and that would be awkward for his foursome.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Shoalzie

I thought about it for a little bit and I think I'm glad they didn't do it. When all of the troops are healthy by April, guys like Hudler and Flip are going to be battling for ice time. Trading for another veteran would've probably meant one or both of those guys being out of the lineup on a regular basis. Nolan would've helped now with how banged up the team is but when everyone came back, it would be numbers game and I think the youngsters would be getting squeezed out in favor of the veteran guys.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacK View Post
older, slower
Yeah, I don't think I could survive another round of the "old and slow" complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu
Thinking of where Nolan would have fit and who got pushed to the press box... I do wonder where Greg Johnson was supposed to fit if he'd made it past his physical. The team had no other options for Hudler and Kopecky - correct? - and Filppula is on a one-way. We had 3 goalies on the roster too. I think if Nolan had been acquired, the diminutive Mr. Hoodlum was probably odd man out if he wasn't the trade bait. If he was, I bet Flip would've sat... no point in leaving important playoff matters in the hands of children.
I thought Flip was still on a 2-way? Regardless, he was the guy who was still eligible to be sent down without clearing waivers and I'm better that, push came to shove, Holland would have went that route. The Johnson thing never made a lot of sense, though.

What I was wondering when this Nolan thing was mentioned was that maybe the Wings are harboring suspicion that Sammy might not make it back and were looking for his replacement. He's already had one setback, and with the acquisitions of Calder and Bertuzzi, Sammy's role becomes questionable.

And I agree about Hudler being the odd man out and, when/if everyone is healthy, I wouldn't be surprised to see Flip follow him to the pressbox. Not sure it's the best move, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 07:22 PM
TheDakkster*

Yes, Flip is on a two-way.

TheDakkster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 07:25 PM
8snake

Quote:
And I agree about Hudler being the odd man out and, when/if everyone is healthy, I wouldn't be surprised to see Flip follow him to the pressbox. Not sure it's the best move, but it wouldn't surprise me.
If Detroit would have aquirred Nolan, Flip would almost assuredly join Hudler upstairs....but when everyone gets back there's still a spot left (probably a 4th line spot), and you can bet that Flip get's it.

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Yes on the two-way for Flip as Dakkster noted. I was thinking two-way, easy to send him back and forth, and wrote it as one-way. I'll correct it in the post. Thanks.

Old
03-03-2007, 03:35 PM
14ari13

I thought the Wings would get a very cheap 3/4 liner. A big guy which can bang and play physical. Why didn't they get Gelinas?

Last edited by 14ari13: 03-04-2007 at 08:11 AM.
14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 07:38 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Guess he really didn't want another cup for the rest of his career. Hopefully he can be picked up this summer.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote