HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rodents Article

Old
03-04-2007, 12:54 PM
JerseyRangers

vCash: 500
Rodents Article

Rodent has an excellent post on his site. Something many of us have been clamoring for. I'd love to see it happen but I agree with Rodnent on his assessment of Renney. If it was me on Monday nite we'd call up Baranka, Callahan and Lessard and have them and every one else that is dressed run the Isles all nite long. Especially guys like Asham and Witt who have had their way with Jagr & Co. this season. Love to see a couple high hits on these guys and see what happens from there. At this point since I don't really think we have a chance of making the playoffs nothing would be sweeter than taking the next 4 from the Isles and trying to knock them outta the postseason.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 12:56 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
Rodent has an excellent post on his site. Something many of us have been clamoring for. I'd love to see it happen but I agree with Rodnent on his assessment of Renney. If it was me on Monday nite we'd call up Baranka, Callahan and Lessard and have them and every one else that is dressed run the Isles all nite long. Especially guys like Asham and Witt who have had their way with Jagr & Co. this season. Love to see a couple high hits on these guys and see what happens from there. At this point since I don't really think we have a chance of making the playoffs nothing would be sweeter than taking the next 4 from the Isles and trying to knock them outta the postseason.
Could you post a link please? I'm too lazy to google his website to find the article lol

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Is he really serious about Baranka and Callahan? I understand Lessard, but jeez what the heck is a 5'10'' skinny ass Callahan and a green lanky Baranky gonna do against the big bad Isles? I cannot see Baranka becoming physically imposing in his first pro game, even though I think he will be a big hitter over time. Leave them be in Hartford for now and hope the team plays tough together. Avery, Mara, Orr, Hollweg, Ortmeyer, should be fine.

Old
03-04-2007, 01:59 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
At this point since I don't really think we have a chance of making the playoffs nothing would be sweeter than taking the next 4 from the Isles and trying to knock them outta the postseason.
4 points out with 17 games to go and you don't think there's a chance? I'm not saying we're making it, but it's way too early to be giving up hope.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
How about dressing the team that has been playing very well the last 2 weeks win or lose and kicking the Fish stick ass and making the playoffs?

Dagoon44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 02:10 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
Is he really serious about Baranka and Callahan? I understand Lessard, but jeez what the heck is a 5'10'' skinny ass Callahan and a green lanky Baranky gonna do against the big bad Isles? I cannot see Baranka becoming physically imposing in his first pro game, even though I think he will be a big hitter over time. Leave them be in Hartford for now and hope the team plays tough together. Avery, Mara, Orr, Hollweg, Ortmeyer, should be fine.

The Baranka I saw last night had no problem playing mean.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 02:54 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
5'10" skinny Callahan, may be true, but he plays the game with alot of grit and loves to initiate contact. He's the same size as Avery

Here's a write up on HF

"Capable of playing an excellent two-way game, Callahan is a talented playmaker and goal scorer with exceptional stick handling skills. He moves well with the puck in open-ice traffic and in the corners. Despite his small stature he is sturdy in battles for the puck and willingly engages in tough physical battles. Callahan positions himself very well in the offensive zone and delivers difficult passes with ease. After his OHL career, size will be his only obstacle in adapting to the next level."

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
The Baranka I saw last night had no problem playing mean.
Jas, it's a different story when he's going up against Simon, Witt, Smyth, Hunter etc. He's not really a heavyweight who will have no problem throwing down. I don't think he'd back down, but I don't think he'd heed any orders to go headhunting. I'm sure he'd be focused on playing a two way game, hitting some, and being able to puckmove.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
5'10" skinny Callahan, may be true, but he plays the game with alot of grit and loves to initiate contact. He's the same size as Avery

Here's a write up on HF

"Capable of playing an excellent two-way game, Callahan is a talented playmaker and goal scorer with exceptional stick handling skills. He moves well with the puck in open-ice traffic and in the corners. Despite his small stature he is sturdy in battles for the puck and willingly engages in tough physical battles. Callahan positions himself very well in the offensive zone and delivers difficult passes with ease. After his OHL career, size will be his only obstacle in adapting to the next level."
Avery has a lot more bulk to him than Callahan. I was responding to the original suggestion of bringing him up to run the Islanders. No, I don't agree. You don't bring Callahan up to be a physical element against them. Would you ask Prucha to do that? He's the same kind of gritty, no backing down player, but I'm not asking them to get into battles they really should stay out of.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 03:08 PM
CrimsonBruin21

Quote:
Isles fan here. I don't think that strategy would work well per se. Especially since the Islander PP has suddenly become lethal. Probably a recipe for a blowout frankly. However, I think the Rangers have a fighting chance in both games if they simply dump and chase and put a lot of heavy hard clean checks on the Islander defense. Witt is a rugged character- but beyond that the Islanders don't have a bunch of bruisers on the blue line. Put bodies on guys like Hill, Meyer, Campoli and Bergeron all night long and the Isles will start coughin' up the puck. This is our achilles heel. In most other departments the Isles are pretty solid IMHO.

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 03:22 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin79 View Post
Isles fan here. I don't think that strategy would work well per se. Especially since the Islander PP has suddenly become lethal. Probably a recipe for a blowout frankly. However, I think the Rangers have a fighting chance in both games if they simply dump and chase and put a lot of heavy hard clean checks on the Islander defense. Witt is a rugged character- but beyond that the Islanders don't have a bunch of bruisers on the blue line. Put bodies on guys like Hill, Meyer, Campoli and Bergeron all night long and the Isles will start coughin' up the puck. This is our achilles heel. In most other departments the Isles are pretty solid IMHO.
I agree belive it or not. The rodent is wrong. Bringing up young guys to play in a game that is going to be this huge, compounded by the fact that these two teams are two of the biggest rivals in the NHL to begin with, is only going to lead to a boatload of bad penalties taken. In doing so the Rangers will never be able to play their game, (their road game I mean) which will lead to a blowout. Keep it simple, go to the net, and shoot from every angle. Think defense first, and stay out of the box, and we should be able to come up with at least one of these, this week.

http://hockeyrodent.com/

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 03:43 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

No.

The guys who HAVE TO STEP UP AND PLAY PHYSICAL are already on the Roster.

They HAVE TO know this.

With Shanny and Straka out Toots as well?????

We have to Win Ugly

Avery Style

03-04-2007, 04:05 PM
mikesect424

Let's kick some A

mikesect424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 04:37 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
4 points out with 17 games to go and you don't think there's a chance? I'm not saying we're making it, but it's way too early to be giving up hope.
Mathematically speaking we have a chance. Practically speaking with us losing Tyutin for the rest of the season, with Shanny gone for no one knows how long and now Straka being injured I don't think we have much of a chance. What I would like to see is this team start to play a tougher brand of hockey and send the message know that you can't hit Jagr without having your guys run outta the building!

Old
03-04-2007, 04:46 PM
94now

Quote:
Mathematically speaking we have a chance. Practically speaking with us losing Tyutin for the rest of the season, with Shanny gone for no one knows how long and now Straka being injured I don't think we have much of a chance. What I would like to see is this team start to play a tougher brand of hockey and send the message know that you can't hit Jagr without having your guys run outta the building!
Renney does not and therefore will not make a decision to quit payoff push you advocating for. It is up to his bosses to do it. They know we lost key players. So doesn't make any sense to blame Renney for something he is not responsible for in this organization.
There is no such a thing as a tougher brand of hockey. It is not a hockey, it would be a violence. The sooner the league stop it, the better that for sport. Fight might brake occasionally, but what you saying, if team cannot play, let's shed the blood, is totally shameful.

Last edited by 94now: 03-04-2007 at 04:52 PM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 05:11 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Renney does not and therefore will not make a decision to quit payoff push you advocating for. It is up to his bosses to do it. They know we lost key players. So doesn't make any sense to blame Renney for something he is not responsible for in this organization.
There is no such a thing as a tougher brand of hockey. It is not a hockey, it would be a violence. The sooner the league stop it, the better that for sport. Fight might brake occasionally, but what you saying, if team cannot play, let's shed the blood, is totally shameful.
Reading skills a little lacking. I'm not saying to throw the towel in. I'm just saying that chances of making the playoffs with this team is slim to none. What I am advocating is changing the mindset of this team from allowing teams to run roughshod over JJ to making teams pay a price for playing against the Rangers.

As to your baloney about a tougher brand of hockey, you must be kidding, right?? The biggest evidence of that is the Isles. They basically took the same team they had last season, added Witt and Simon (and some other parts) and brought in a coach who insists on taking the body and making teams pay a price to play against them. Instead of the Rangers taking the game to the Isles and making them pay a price they've done that to us this season. The result is 0-4 and most games haven't been close. I am not advocating chopping heads. I am advocating throwing hard, high body checks and making the rest of the league aware that you can't come in and run the Rangers!

Old
03-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Potvins Cups

Quote:
If it was me on Monday nite we'd call up Baranka, Callahan and Lessard and have them and every one else that is dressed run the Isles all nite long. Especially guys like Asham and Witt who have had their way with Jagr & Co. this season. Love to see a couple high hits on these guys and see what happens from there.
By no means am I trolling here but what kind of ignorant statement is that? "Running" the Islanders all night long is going to help the Rangers make the playoffs? High hits? I guess you really don't want to see your team win according to your logic. Also sounds like you want to see someone get hurt.
I'm sure the intelligent Rangers fans on your board may have a different opinion and just want to win the game.

Potvins Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:33 PM
JerseyRangers

First of all your a lil fishies fan...enough said about ignorant. Second, every game out Witt has gone high on Jagr with his hits so don't start whining about the Rangers doing the same thing thats been so successful against them. I didn't say cross check. I said high hits. Come in hard with the shoulder and follow through with the upper arm and elbow, a la Scott Stevens. The Isles gotta a little more balls this year cause of Witt and Simon but you go in early and pound them high and hard and you've got a really good chance of winning. If we don't get in the playoffs nothing better than us helping the Isles not get in, especially after the Smyth trade.

Old
03-05-2007, 12:37 PM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan303 View Post
By no means am I trolling here
I think the hundreds of Rangers fans on HF beg to differ

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Potvins Cups

Quote:
First of all your a lil fishies fan...enough said about ignorant
No need to resort to name calling. I'm just questioning how is calling up a couple of goons and having them run our players going to help your team win the game and make the playoffs.

Old
03-05-2007, 12:58 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
No need to resort to name calling. I'm just questioning how is calling up a couple of goons and having them run our players going to help your team win the game and make the playoffs.
What goons?? Callahan, Baranka -- hardly. They are players who will play the game the way it should be and make the opposition pay a price. If anyone is making ignorant statements then its coming from you. You don't even know what players I was talking about yet you felt the need to spout off. Kinda silly, huh?? As to Lessard I've been calling for him to be brought up all season to replace Orr. Lately Orr has been doing a better job and has started to look like he might actually belong.

By the way, your avatar is that from the turn of the century or something? Probably done in black and white and colorized later. Nothing like living in the past, eh?

Old
03-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Potvins Cups

Quote:
What goons?? Callahan, Baranka -- hardly. They are players who will play the game the way it should be and make the opposition pay a price. If anyone is making ignorant statements then its coming from you. You don't even know what players I was talking about yet you felt the need to spout off. Kinda silly, huh?? As to Lessard I've been calling for him to be brought up all season to replace Orr. Lately Orr has been doing a better job and has started to look like he might actually belong.

By the way, your avatar is that from the turn of the century or something? Probably done in black and white and colorized later. Nothing like living in the past, eh?
I was referring to Lessard. If you read my post I didn't say that you wanted to bring up THREE goons. By the way, hitting hard and taking a run at a player are two different things. Do you even know the difference?
It seems that you care more about the Islanders (than your own team) by your statement that "if the Rags don't make the playoffs at least they can ruin the Islanders chances". Not to mention you still have failed to answer my original question.
As far as the avatar comment, what are you a 5 year old? Out of respect to one of your mods who's posts over on our board I enjoy - I wont respond to that.

End of arguement. Here's to a good game.

Old
03-05-2007, 02:51 PM
94now

Quote:
They basically took the same team they had last season, added Witt and Simon (and some other parts) and brought in a coach who insists on taking the body and making teams pay a price to play against them. Instead of the Rangers taking the game to the Isles and making them pay a price they've done that to us this season. The result is 0-4 and most games haven't been close. I am not advocating chopping heads. I am advocating throwing hard, high body checks and making the rest of the league aware that you can't come in and run the Rangers!
Your demeaning Nolan by saying that. No one ever won anything by adding Simon (Rangers did that) or Witt. The credit goes not to the goons, but to the owner Wang who hired Nolan and signed DP long term. Both coach and goalie try their best this season. When key people try their best, the rest would follow (see Rangers season '05-'06).

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 03:24 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Your demeaning Nolan by saying that. No one ever won anything by adding Simon (Rangers did that) or Witt. The credit goes not to the goons, but to the owner Wang who hired Nolan and signed DP long term. Both coach and goalie try their best this season. When key people try their best, the rest would follow (see Rangers season '05-'06).
Go back and re-read what I wrote. I listed Simon, Witt and stated they added a coach. Seems like I gave him credit, maybe you didn't bother to read the whole post. Also, if you don't think that adding Simon and Witt has alot to do with the Isles success this season then you really don't understand the game.

Old
03-05-2007, 03:30 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
I was referring to Lessard. If you read my post I didn't say that you wanted to bring up THREE goons. By the way, hitting hard and taking a run at a player are two different things. Do you even know the difference?
It seems that you care more about the Islanders (than your own team) by your statement that "if the Rags don't make the playoffs at least they can ruin the Islanders chances". Not to mention you still have failed to answer my original question.
As far as the avatar comment, what are you a 5 year old? Out of respect to one of your mods who's posts over on our board I enjoy - I wont respond to that.

End of arguement. Here's to a good game.
So bringing up Lessard suddenly is a bad thing? Also, hasn't Witt taken plenty of runs at Jagr this season? This includes plenty of high elbows and high sticks. I'd just like to see the Rangers do the same to the Isles and see what happens.

As to caring about the Isles, the only thing I care about is that the Isles continue to lose and continue to fail to win in the playoffs as they've been doing successfully for the last 18 years.

Heres to the Rangers wiping the ice with the Isles!