HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Smyth's Worth: A comprehensive analysis.

Old
03-03-2007, 11:29 AM
taternuts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
Just to continue on that... Out of all those players, how many are signed to the age of 36?

And how many of those guys who are 36, are playing at a lower level than before they signed their current contract?

I love Smytty... but it's hard to justify paying him $4-5 mil at 36 years old... players generally see a pretty hefty drop in productivity at that age.
Havlat 25
Forsberg 33
Gagne 27
Gaborik 24
Sakic 37
Tkachuk 34
Iginla 29
Naslund 33
Tanguay 27
Hossa 27

The answere to your question - Joe Sakic. This list can be broken down as follows:
Younger than Smyth
Older than Smyth and significantly worse than when their contract was signed (Naslund)
Older than Smyth and a superior player (Sakic, Forsberg)

I fully agree with you. The real problem I had with the contract Smyth was seeking were the years. I'd bring him back, even at $6 M, but only for 2 years. If he wants 5 years, he's only worth the $4.5 M the guys on imkinger's list average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkinger View Post
It's not really fair to compare a 5 year deal given to a 27 year Gagne and a 5 year deal given to a 32 year old Smyth. The comps I chose were from players that were all around Smyth's age at the time they signed their deals.
Exactly. The reason I presented this list was to play devil's advocate, and show what the absolute ceiling on Smyth's instantaneous value was. Your list is better for landing on an average value over 5 years. I also wanted to provide some evidence to everyone stating Smyth isn't elite. He is, this year .

taternuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 11:38 AM
YKOil

At Always on the Road, a very good blog on the Oilers, there is a posting that uses several players as comparables to Smyth. He does so as an attempt to prove that the trade of Smyth is justified.

Make no mistake about it: his analysis is actually quite thorough - it is NOT a hatchet job. I will make points below however that show it to be incomplete.

Jason Arnott vs. Ryan Smyth

The first point made is a fair one - Arnott signed a 4.5 /yr for 5 years deal in the 2005/06 off-season. His age is comparable to Smyth's and his counting numbers are actually a bit better. Lets look at a few more numbers:

Playing Time per game for 2005-06: JA ~ 17 mins / for RS ~ 20 mins
Playing Time per game for 2006-07: JA ~ 17 mins / for RS ~ 20 mins

*Quality of Opponent faced 2006-07: JA ranked #102 / RS ranked #56
*Advanced +/- at EV str. 2006-07: JA = 0.43 / RS = 1.03

Time of deal negotiation: JA it was 2005-06 and for RS it was effectively 2006-07

* using Desjardins www.behindthenet.ca numbers

Now, to be fair, Arnott actually scores more ppm than Smyth given these metrics but head to head Smyth plays against top opposition far more, and far more effectively than Arnott. Using a stupid % calculation it shows that Smyth plays 17.6% more than Arnott - even if Smyth was only AS effective as Arnott, at that rate Smyth should earn no less than 5.29 mill /yr in comparison to Arnott.

Now factor in a full year of contract inflation and Smyth's leadership intangibles compared to Arnott's and there is no question that 5.5 is a good number for the team that signs Smyth. Give Smyth the protected minutes Arnott gets and his scoring would jump dramatically (imo).

Steve Sullivan vs. Ryan Smyth

Sullivan signed a 3.2 /yr for 5 years deal in the 2004/05 off-season. His age is comparable to Smyth's and their counting numbers are very close. Looking at the same numbers:

Playing Time per game for 2005-06: SS ~ 19 mins / for RS ~ 20 mins
Playing Time per game for 2006-07: SS ~ 19.5 mins / for RS ~ 20 mins

*Quality of Opponent faced 2006-07: SS ranked #89 / RS ranked #56
*Advanced +/- at EV str. 2006-07: SS = 0.49 / RS = 1.03

Time of deal negotiation: SS it was 2004-05 and for RS it was effectively 2006-07

The numbers are very close. Good comparison. Even in terms of straight-up play Smyth's advantage is narrowed. The big trick is to look at the year the deal is signed. Sullivan signed right after the lock-out and there were a lot of contracts signed then that made no sense given what we know now. If Pronger had only signed a two year deal he would be looking at an $8 mill /yr contract - easy.

Now factor in Smyth's leadership intangibles compared to Sullivan's and again - there is no question that 5.5 is a good number for the team that signs Smyth.

Rod Brind'Amour vs. Ryan Smyth

Brind'Amour signed a $3.6 mill /yr deal for 5 years in the 2005-06 off-season.

I will not give a full answer to this comparison. Brindy is 5 years older than Smyth. The 5 year deal he signed will be paying him long after his effective playing days are over.

Take the last two years on that deal and spread it out over the first three and you have a better picture of the price involved ~ $6 mill /yr.

Saku Koivu vs. Ryan Smyth

Koivu signed a 4.75 /yr for 3 years deal in the 2005/06 off-season. His age is comparable to Smyth's and his counting numbers are actually a bit better. Lets look at a few more numbers:

Playing Time per game for 2005-06: SK ~ 18.5 mins / for RS ~ 20 mins
Playing Time per game for 2006-07: SK ~ 18.5 mins / for RS ~ 20 mins

*Quality of Opponent faced 2006-07: SK ranked #299 / RS ranked #56
*Advanced +/- at EV str. 2006-07: SK = -1.41 / RS = 1.03

Average # games played a yr (last 11 years): SK = 58 / RS = 70

Time of deal negotiation: SK it was 2005-06 and for RS it was effectively 2006-07

As with Arnott, Koivu actually scores a few more ppm than Smyth given these metrics but head to head Smyth plays against top opposition far more, and far more effectively than Koivu. IT ISN'T EVEN CLOSE. The numbers are striking.

Now factor in a full year of contract inflation and the fact that Smyth doesn't have legs made of glass and there is no question that 5.5 is a good number for the team that signs Smyth.

Daniel Alfredsson vs. Ryan Smyth

Alfredsson signed a $6.5 mill /yr deal for 5 years in the 2003-04 off-season.

I will not give a full answer to this comparison. Alfredsson is only affordable now because of the 24% rollback from the lock-out negotiations. While 31 at the time of the deal he is now 2+ years older than Smyth.

The analysis should be - is Alfredsson worth a million more a year than Smyth? That would be an interesting analysis. Alfredsson and Smyth are roughly the same level of player imo - better than very good and just on the edge of elite.

Martin St. Louis vs. Ryan Smyth

St. Louis signed a 5.25/yr for 6 years deal in the 2005/06 off-season. His age is comparable to Smyth's and his counting numbers are a bit better. Lets look at a few more numbers:

Playing Time per game for 2005-06: MSL ~ 21.0 mins / for RS ~ 20 mins
Playing Time per game for 2006-07: MSL ~ 24.0 mins / for RS ~ 20 mins

*Quality of Opponent faced 2006-07: MSL ranked #233 / RS ranked #56
*Advanced +/- at EV str. 2006-07: MSL = 0.20 / RS = 1.03

Time of deal negotiation: MSL it was 2005-06 and for RS it was effectively 2006-07

Best comparison of the lot.

St. Louis plays a LOT of time for the Lightning. His numbers are good except in terms of the quality of his opponents. Question becomes - does the extra TOI that St. Louis plays nullify the MUCH better head-to-head numbers that Smyth has and the extra year of inflation creep?

From where I sit - the fact that the question is even being asked is a feather in Smyth's cap.

YKOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
As we all know, saying you are going to take $X and do Y with it in the free agent market has blown up in some GMs faces over the past couple of summers when the numbers just didn't work out. Spend it better? Maybe that won't work out, but he certainly wasn't going to spend it this way. Even he can't guarantee that he will be able to do anything better with that money, or even be reasonably sure of it. If better means divided up amongst two players, then maybe. I don't see him landing somebody we all agree is going to bring something better than Smyth does/did for the same amount of money (but it *could* happen).
I think you have to factor in what we got for Smyth in the trade into the equation as well. Smyth may be better than a UFA we sign, but is he better the UFA + Nilsson and O'Marra?

Dr_Gonz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 12:02 PM
Tekneek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0 View Post
I think you have to factor in what we got for Smyth in the trade into the equation as well. Smyth may be better than a UFA we sign, but is he better the UFA + Nilsson and O'Marra?
We won't know that until those two guys manage to make it to the NHL as regulars and Lowe goes off and spends that money that Smyth wasn't good enough for.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
Ducks GM Brian Burke says Edmonton counterpart Kevin Lowe asked him two days before the NHL trading deadline if he'd be interested in acquiring Ryan Smyth.

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...c-f2b7511391c2

Sounds like he was already asking some GMs 2 days before the deadline, but was trying to keep a lid on it for some reason and didn't open it up to everyone (if we believe the GMs, who might just be doing some damage control when they found out what he went for).
He was kicking tires at that point. If Burke had said, we'll give you Getzlaf and a first, you can bet Lowe would have done it. Unfortunately, Burke isn't insane.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 01:51 PM
oilflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer View Post
Thank you Injektilo, for the heads-up, definitely this blog entry should get bonus points for going into OT and lighting-it-up in the Shootout.

Unfortunately, for an 'old-time' hockey purists like me "that golden sea of light and shadow," that enormous shifting pile of gritty quicksilver has become nothing more than an accummulated mountain of our money - misused. Hockey fans, the most important of stakeholders, we who every year fork over our heart & soul cash committments, need not your offerings of bland bread, nor want the alternative of inconsistent and unruly circuses.

We lovers of the live ice, the working wallets who plunk down our hard-earned dinero to finance the Owners' Arena Complexes and deliver onto our hockey heroes their handsome warriors' wages. Professional athletes, they say, are in the business of entertainment. Entertainment manifests itself trading upon the dreams of its audience. The best weavers of dream ply their craft, knowing the more respect they have for their customers, the more they craft their products for their target customer base, the more their offerings will sell. This will happen whylst they craftily command the highest of prices and earn the best possible return on their investment.

To the NHL hockey's 'movers & shakers' I say, "Beware the Ides of March." Feed well the golden goose, lest that fanning fleece lose its luster. Professional hockey is an active and changing mythology, and every year, eventually, 29 teams and their respective fans must cross over that river Styx into a hockey Hades.

Coinage having long since been placed on the eyes and in the the mouths of we newly deceased fans. We mire mortals must purchase prepayment for the almost inevitable passage over the River Styx - year after year. Once there, these payers of the toll, must again and again, willingly choose to drink from those murky waters of the Lethe, the river of forgetfulness.

Perhaps these modern day Charons (collectors at the toll gate), these charlatan riverboat Captains think these payments (season ticket deposits, PPV commitments, branded merchandising, etc.) blinds our deadfish eyes, and mute our hooked mouths, leaving we fans all to ready to spit-up payment. I speak of that great contented collective: of the NHL Governors, of Owners & their Management, the denizens of Officiating, and the the Players of privelge & their agents, all whom so richly benefit, from the Fleecing of the Fans, know that, your stewardship and tending to, even the basic needs, of your great Golden Goose is sorely lacking.

Dreams need reconizable leading men, good guys sprouting positive sound bytes, High Definition action, to build that fragile vicarious identity. A shared vision which would continue to entice our voluntary inclusion into that entertaining DreamQuest - via that lucrative ongoing purchase of product. And, frankly, lame rationalizations eschewing 'hockey is a business' and sadly "it" really is 'All About the Benjamin$' only weaken our appetite for your fare and unfair. And all the while you excuse, the cashing-in and/or cashing-out by every and all of your fellow stakehoders. Except, of course, we fans, whom have to date, been too tolerant, and be-shilled by your sense of entitlement. Know now, such arrogant distain shall no longer be permitted.

Whatever you Devils got down to, when last you met at them crossroads, selling your souls to devise that dandy new CBA which so, unexpectedly, exceeded even your own avaricious, this planned plundering did not go unheeded. But still you made one fatal mistake. So greedily did you divides up the spoils of your mutual "diehard" victims ... maybe you forgot that the corpses, you gleefully denude and nailed up onto that Cross in Worship to the Almighty Dollar, we when bled too dry, too quickly, can and will become lifeless. Passed caring, deadbeat ex-fans, need not even raise-up, to goose you royally, right up your backsides, and at the tenderest of your most vulnerable of private parts, in the end, we shall shrivel your wallets.
I see OYLer you have made perfect another of yours and mine great laments about NHL professional hockey. Gary Bettman and the Owners always choose money over matter. Thank you for your conceit without ego. Many of us fans who care not about statistic and cheer from our guts and evaluate using our intuition, appreciate your unique viewpoint.

We apply our dead reckening experience, to see from where we have come, and to where we are going. You are right again, the NHL have solved all of their insider issues but have again forgotten the long term needs of the fans. We cheer for our teams and more specifically, and most importantly, we cheer for our favourite players. When that is taken away we tend to lose interest and move on to find a more stable and emotionally rewarding entertainment.

oilflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 02:04 PM
4th_Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0 View Post
didn't we go through the exact same thing last year? everybody assumed that 6 mil UFA + lupul + smid > pronger? then who's the big free agent that we ended up getting? petre sykora, towards the end of the free agency period when it looked like we'd ended up with nothin..

smyth will be a top free agent this summer.. if we didn't get anybody last offseason what makes you think that we'll get somebody to come this time around that's better and cheaper than smyth?!

when doug weight was getting expensive, the team said he's no superstar, so we'll build around comrie and smyth; now that smyth's getting expensive, he's not really that good so we'll just building around hemsky; what happens when hemsky gets expensive? when does it end?

4th_Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 02:09 PM
OYLer

A Golden era should at the very least be followed by a Bronzed respect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilflash View Post
I see OYLer you have made perfect another of yours and mine great laments about NHL professional hockey. Gary Bettman and the Owners always choose money over matter. Thank you for your conceit without ego. Many of us fans who care not about statistic and cheer from our guts and evaluate using our intuition, appreciate your unique viewpoint.

We apply our dead reckening experience, to see from where we have come, and to where we are going. You are right again, the NHL have solved all of their insider issues but have again forgotten the long term needs of the fans. We cheer for our teams and more specifically, and most importantly, we cheer for our favourite players. When that is taken away we tend to lose interest and move on to find a more stable and emotionally rewarding entertainment.
Thank you oilflash, over the years you are one of a few who really get it. Hopefully, your passion for the game and the Oilers will survive this latest dissappointment.

Even if the Copper & Blue may currently have tinny Ownership. Hopefully, this too shall pass.

OYLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 02:13 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th_Liner View Post
didn't we go through the exact same thing last year? everybody assumed that 6 mil UFA + lupul + smid > pronger? then who's the big free agent that we ended up getting? petre sykora, towards the end of the free agency period when it looked like we'd ended up with nothin..

smyth will be a top free agent this summer.. if we didn't get anybody last offseason what makes you think that we'll get somebody to come this time around that's better and cheaper than smyth?!

when doug weight was getting expensive, the team said he's no superstar, so we'll build around comrie and smyth; now that smyth's getting expensive, he's not really that good so we'll just building around hemsky; what happens when hemsky gets expensive? when does it end?
Well 4th_Liner, I guess the few is growing in numbers.

Old
03-03-2007, 02:47 PM
imkinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by YKOil View Post
At Always on the Road, a very good blog on the Oilers, there is a posting that uses several players as comparables to Smyth. He does so as an attempt to prove that the trade of Smyth is justified.
Yea, that's my blog.

Quote:
Make no mistake about it: his analysis is actually quite thorough - it is NOT a hatchet job. I will make points below however that show it to be incomplete.
Thank you.

Quote:
Jason Arnott vs. Ryan Smyth

The first point made is a fair one - Arnott signed a 4.5 /yr for 5 years deal in the 2005/06 off-season. His age is comparable to Smyth's and his counting numbers are actually a bit better. Lets look at a few more numbers:

Playing Time per game for 2005-06: JA ~ 17 mins / for RS ~ 20 mins
Playing Time per game for 2006-07: JA ~ 17 mins / for RS ~ 20 mins

*Quality of Opponent faced 2006-07: JA ranked #102 / RS ranked #56
*Advanced +/- at EV str. 2006-07: JA = 0.43 / RS = 1.03

Time of deal negotiation: JA it was 2005-06 and for RS it was effectively 2006-07

Now, to be fair, Arnott actually scores more ppm than Smyth given these metrics but head to head Smyth plays against top opposition far more, and far more effectively than Arnott. Using a stupid % calculation it shows that Smyth plays 17.6% more than Arnott - even if Smyth was only AS effective as Arnott, at that rate Smyth should earn no less than 5.29 mill /yr in comparison to Arnott.

Now factor in a full year of contract inflation and Smyth's leadership intangibles compared to Arnott's and there is no question that 5.5 is a good number for the team that signs Smyth. Give Smyth the protected minutes Arnott gets and his scoring would jump dramatically (imo).
Is the percentage of tough minutes worth the same in contract value? That just seems silly man. I'll give you an example (an example that flatters your formula, I could have chosen someone with a much lower rating):

Quality of competition:

Radek Bonk: 0.1815
Fernando Pisani: 0.1369

Bonk and Pisani's production is around the same, but Bonks minutes are 25% tougher, does it then logically follow that Bonk should earn 25% more than Pisani? That's putting far too much emphasis on tough minutes.

It's possible you already knew this though, seeing as you described your own metric as a "stupid calculation".

Quote:
Steve Sullivan vs. Ryan Smyth

Sullivan signed a 3.2 /yr for 5 years deal in the 2004/05 off-season. His age is comparable to Smyth's and their counting numbers are very close. Looking at the same numbers:

Playing Time per game for 2005-06: SS ~ 19 mins / for RS ~ 20 mins
Playing Time per game for 2006-07: SS ~ 19.5 mins / for RS ~ 20 mins

*Quality of Opponent faced 2006-07: SS ranked #89 / RS ranked #56
*Advanced +/- at EV str. 2006-07: SS = 0.49 / RS = 1.03

Time of deal negotiation: SS it was 2004-05 and for RS it was effectively 2006-07

The numbers are very close. Good comparison. Even in terms of straight-up play Smyth's advantage is narrowed. The big trick is to look at the year the deal is signed. Sullivan signed right after the lock-out and there were a lot of contracts signed then that made no sense given what we know now. If Pronger had only signed a two year deal he would be looking at an $8 mill /yr contract - easy.

Now factor in Smyth's leadership intangibles compared to Sullivan's and again - there is no question that 5.5 is a good number for the team that signs Smyth.
I'm not sure how you made this 2.3m dollar 'leap of faith' between Sullivan's 3.2m and Smyth's 5.5m. From what I can tell, your justfication was:

1. Pronger's post lockout contract. You use it to illustrate a point that claims that all contracts signed right after the lockout are under priced. You justify this by saying Pronger would earn 16m over 2 if he signed a deal today. So basically your justifying what you claim to be fact with an assumption (not only that, an assumption that doesn't even apply, comparing 2 year contracts to 5 year contracts is like comparing apples to oranges). Unless you want to do a more comprehensive analysis of post lockout contracts and their value, your objection pretty much sucks.

2. Leadership and intangibles make up the difference. It's a waste of our time to argue this point. I'll just say I don't think they are worth an extra 2.2m over 5 years to a 32 year old.

Quote:
Rod Brind'Amour vs. Ryan Smyth

Brind'Amour signed a $3.6 mill /yr deal for 5 years in the 2005-06 off-season.

I will not give a full answer to this comparison. Brindy is 5 years older than Smyth. The 5 year deal he signed will be paying him long after his effective playing days are over.

Take the last two years on that deal and spread it out over the first three and you have a better picture of the price involved ~ $6 mill /yr.
Rod the Bod was perhaps a poor example due to his age. Although your claim that I put in bold is pretty must ridiculous. Since you think Rod Brind'Amour won't be effective past 37, you think the last two years of his contract should be added onto the first 3. That's just silly. Rod may be just a 2m dollar hockey player during those last 2 years, but what he won't be is a 0 dollar hockey player.

Quote:
Saku Koivu vs. Ryan Smyth

Koivu signed a 4.75 /yr for 3 years deal in the 2005/06 off-season. His age is comparable to Smyth's and his counting numbers are actually a bit better. Lets look at a few more numbers:

Playing Time per game for 2005-06: SK ~ 18.5 mins / for RS ~ 20 mins
Playing Time per game for 2006-07: SK ~ 18.5 mins / for RS ~ 20 mins

*Quality of Opponent faced 2006-07: SK ranked #299 / RS ranked #56
*Advanced +/- at EV str. 2006-07: SK = -1.41 / RS = 1.03

Average # games played a yr (last 11 years): SK = 58 / RS = 70

Time of deal negotiation: SK it was 2005-06 and for RS it was effectively 2006-07

As with Arnott, Koivu actually scores a few more ppm than Smyth given these metrics but head to head Smyth plays against top opposition far more, and far more effectively than Koivu. IT ISN'T EVEN CLOSE. The numbers are striking.

Now factor in a full year of contract inflation and the fact that Smyth doesn't have legs made of glass and there is no question that 5.5 is a good number for the team that signs Smyth.
This is terribly easy to debunk. Three years for Koivu =! five years for Smyth. The length of the contract must be taken into account.

Also you think the numbers "are [strikingly]" different because of the quality of competition argument. Again, if you can suggest a coherent formula to put a price tag on that metric, I will be glad to concede the point.

Quote:
Daniel Alfredsson vs. Ryan Smyth

Alfredsson signed a $6.5 mill /yr deal for 5 years in the 2003-04 off-season.

I will not give a full answer to this comparison. Alfredsson is only affordable now because of the 24% rollback from the lock-out negotiations. While 31 at the time of the deal he is now 2+ years older than Smyth.

The analysis should be - is Alfredsson worth a million more a year than Smyth? That would be an interesting analysis. Alfredsson and Smyth are roughly the same level of player imo - better than very good and just on the edge of elite.
Silly argument, you have to take the roll back into account. Whether you want to admit it or not, the dollars signed before the lockout and reduced by the roll back = the market. The market today is NOT the pre-lockout market. That's a ridiculously claim. Perhaps a small percentage can be attributed to inflation, 3-4% maybe, but certainly not the entire 24% roll back.

Quote:
Martin St. Louis vs. Ryan Smyth

St. Louis signed a 5.25/yr for 6 years deal in the 2005/06 off-season. His age is comparable to Smyth's and his counting numbers are a bit better. Lets look at a few more numbers:

Playing Time per game for 2005-06: MSL ~ 21.0 mins / for RS ~ 20 mins
Playing Time per game for 2006-07: MSL ~ 24.0 mins / for RS ~ 20 mins

*Quality of Opponent faced 2006-07: MSL ranked #233 / RS ranked #56
*Advanced +/- at EV str. 2006-07: MSL = 0.20 / RS = 1.03

Time of deal negotiation: MSL it was 2005-06 and for RS it was effectively 2006-07

Best comparison of the lot.

St. Louis plays a LOT of time for the Lightning. His numbers are good except in terms of the quality of his opponents. Question becomes - does the extra TOI that St. Louis plays nullify the MUCH better head-to-head numbers that Smyth has and the extra year of inflation creep?
You didn't really make an argument here.

Quote:
From where I sit - the fact that the question is even being asked is a feather in Smyth's cap.
It's true.

imkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 03:00 PM
The Rage

Wow, some truly great posts in this thread from both sides of the debate (and more great stuff from Oyler as well)

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 04:39 PM
OYLer

A team grows into becoming a contender and then a winner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
Wow, some truly great posts in this thread from both sides of the debate (and more great stuff from Oyler as well)
OYLer thanks The Rage for his kind comments. I think we both understand and agree that the problem with the Oilers not resigning Smytty goes to the flaw in the new CBA? Teams who have the financial will, to spend to the CAP, year-in and year-out have a much better chance of winning and more importantly maintaining a team identity by being better positioned to retain the services of their recognizable Star players. In the end this tendency not to "cheapout" builds a much stronger fan base to endure the rough patches.

Team dynamics, I believe, become less stressed and more constant and stable, allowing for that development base, from which a team can leap to grasp the Great Brass Ring. Finishing in the top 4 in the the conference will always be, very important, in the post-CAP NHL regular season. Team depth, playoff experience and home ice advantage is the edge that Paying the Minimum Price of Admission buys a team as they position themselves in the playoffs to win.

Sure there will always be exceptions to the rule, but I'd like to bet on the favourite side of the spread for just a couple of years as an Oilers' fan.

Last edited by OYLer: 03-03-2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old
03-04-2007, 02:59 PM
hockeymum

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkinger View Post
Yea, that's my blog.

Thank you.

Link please? And, what do EIG and CBA mean? And, is there a glossary for terms somewhere so one does not bore with newbie questions? TIA Fascinating discussion herewith.

hockeymum is offline   Reply With Quote