HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JD Ceremony/Tribute

Old
03-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
i just HATE the way MSG network turns down the crowd reaction so much. to me it sounded like he was barely getting any kind of recognition. its annoying, i think its the hurricanes that allow more of the audience noise come through in the telecast, and it sounds 10x better, even if its in NC

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 12:15 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
i just HATE the way MSG network turns down the crowd reaction so much. to me it sounded like he was barely getting any kind of recognition. its annoying, i think its the hurricanes that allow more of the audience noise come through in the telecast, and it sounds 10x better, even if its in NC
That's because the Garden often has chants coming out of the crowd that they don't want heard, or can't reallly broadcast. You've got the ******* chant, against the refs, for one. Or the we suck chant, we all heard yesterday.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 03:55 PM
cityhockeyfever

Hi, guys. I know it's been a long while since I've posted and haven't much this season, but I still stop by when I can. I definitely wanted to chime in on this special event in Rangers history.

I am thrilled that John Davidson was honored by the Garden for all he's done over the years. He undoubtedly deserved it. It didn't matter if he was considered by some as a homer while in the role of a color analyst, he really is one of the very best when it comes to knowledge of the game. He was very easy to understand when he explained plays that are unfolding or when giving his analysis of a goal, a save, a defensive play or a penalty.

I still miss him right beside Sam Rosen, but I don't blame JD one bit for making the career move. If I was offered the chance to be president of an NHL franchise and my kids are out of the house (or about to be) and off to college, I'd pounce on the job and take it. JD sounds very happy with the move to St. Louis and at the same time still has a part of his heart still in New York. Good for him. His hard work is just starting to pay off with what he's doing to turn the Blues' fortunes around.

The Rangers honored him perfectly... nice video tribute, nice touch to have Sam down on the ice to give JD the gifts the team gave him and of course having Sam's wife sing the national anthem. Great class on the part of the Rangers in doing what they did for JD. It was nice to see how emotional it was for JD to be honored in the way he was.

As for someone's comment about JD with the grey hair, maybe he has been coloring it for years and decided to stop doing it now that he's seldom in front of the camera anymore. Sometimes men would rather not have grey hair when doing a broadcasting job for image appeal reasons. Either way, JD looks fine to me and if he's in his mid 50s like my father is, then he looks great. His family does too!

cityhockeyfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Scotty Hockey

I wish the team had put stuff on the homepage about it and advertised it more. The place was still filling up as the ceremony was going on and it really wasn't all that loud. I definitely think that they could have had speaches and done something more than 10 minutes just before the anthem with the building half-empty. JD was a huge part of the franchise (as a player and commentator) and this was the one shot to recognize that ...

Scotty Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 05:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I actually thought it was a pretty weak ceremony. JD didn't speak. I really don't think that he should be acknowledge for his playing career with the Rangers. I would have named the broadcast booth in MSG in his name.

03-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Scotty Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I actually thought it was a pretty weak ceremony. JD didn't speak. I really don't think that he should be acknowledge for his playing career with the Rangers. I would have named the broadcast booth in MSG in his name.
Why shouldn't they acknowledge his playing days? He took the team to the Stanley Cup finals ... how many goalies in team history did that? and to name the bootha fter him is silly, it isn't like he died or was Foster Hewitt.

Old
03-04-2007, 05:14 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstranged View Post
Why shouldn't they acknowledge his playing days? He took the team to the Stanley Cup finals ... how many goalies in team history did that? and to name the bootha fter him is silly, it isn't like he died or was Foster Hewitt.
There are plenty of great Ranger palyer who have never receieved acknowledgement. If JD wasn't a broadcaster for 20 years there's no way he gets a ceremony.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Scotty Hockey

I agree, but as the team was honoring his contributions to the franchise, along with his work in the booth, he did take us to the Cup finals. And would he have even gotten the job without being a former Ranger, would he have been as knowledgable and had as much access to the team if he was? I don't think so ...

Old
03-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Briannj1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
I agree there but I was far happier that they went with the regular left to right camera angle for the shootout. That behind the player/opposite side of the rink camera annoyed the hell out of me.

Briannj1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Briannj1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I thought it was appropriate. He was a beloved member of the organization but, and I hate to say it, he was part of the opposition yesterday. I imagine even JD wanted the ceremony to go the way it did...something like "make it short because I'm a part of this club now".

Briannj1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:10 AM
ap215

John Davidson-A True Ranger And A Classy Guy.

ap215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Just wanted to say I was really happy seeing JD honored, he gave us his all on the ice and in the booth. 'Singin' may be right, his career wasn't all that great though he did get us to the finals that magical Spring. But over the years he's done so much for the Rangers, the fans, the Garden, the City - all that work trumps his hockey credentials and makes him worthy of such an honor - he deserves every accolade he gets.

Always after a power play goal:

"...the Rangers win the faceoff Sam......! "

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:50 PM
cityhockeyfever

I'll never forget JD singing in that cheesy, but memorable video "Hockey Sock Rock"!

cityhockeyfever is offline   Reply With Quote