HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

All the Lalime talk

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Sting

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Sting
All the Lalime talk

I know a lot of people think we should just give up on Lalime and trade him for someone. Well it'd been said a million times: there's nobody out there right now that is better than Lalime. He's an incredible goalie and people forget what he did for us last year. The fact is he needs to show consistency, and I think he'll get back to that. It seems like our 'D' don't give up many chances, but when they do it's a very big scoring chance. Often they'll let someone walk right in the open and slap it past Lalime...and you can't blame him on a lot of those.

Anyways, just stickin up for Pat because everyone seems to forget what he's capable of.

Old
02-09-2004, 10:39 AM
discostu

I agree that we cannot forget what Patrick has done for us in the playoffs. I think a lot of the goalie trade talk is unwarranted. However, I believe there are other strong goalie options out there, particularly Kolzig and Khabibhulin (who I think can be obtained off the trade market, despite Feaster's comments), but that they are roughly comparable to Lalime, and are not worth the risk, nor the trade cost, of shaking this team up that drastically.

One thing that has bothered me is the reluctance to go with Prusek right now. Lalime is struggling, and no one can deny that. Prusek should be given more starts based on his play. I still think that Lalime is the better goaltender, and by the start of the post-season, will be playing well enough to keep the #1 job, but he should be forced to earn it to some degree. Give Prusek some chances, and let Lalime be forced to raise his play to reclaim his spot. I think he has it in him to do so.

Old
02-09-2004, 11:17 AM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
It seems like our 'D' don't give up many chances, but when they do it's a very big scoring chance. Often they'll let someone walk right in the open and slap it past Lalime...and you can't blame him on a lot of those.
This is precisely the problem with Lalime, and this is precisely why they lose close games. Ottawa needs a goalie who will bail them out in these very situations. It's these kind of plays that lose you a trip to the finals - Hossa breaks in on Brodeur on a partial breakaway and it gets saved, then Friesen walks in on a partial break and he scores. Game over, playoffs over.

Old
02-09-2004, 11:31 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004

Anyways, just stickin up for Pat because everyone seems to forget what he's capable of.
And what is that exactly?

Its not that he is a bad goalie, because he has decent numbers but he never seems to make the "key" save. Its not very often that the Sens got badly outshot but its seems that when they need a save Lalime doesn't make it.

Really though the Sens might have enough talent to overcome Lalime's shortcomings but if it was me I wouldn't be confident having him in the net. I would give Prusek a shot to show what he can do, perhaps its time to pass the reigns. I think that Prusek will be a better NHLer then Lalime ever was.

Old
02-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Skrymir

I for a long time have been a very strong supporter of Lalime but my faith in him has been waivering quite a bit recently. Personnally I don't think that he's a bad goalie, quite the opposit he's a good goalie he just seems to have some concentration issues (as most evident on the tieing goal vs. Toronto). I really wish Martin would sit him let Prusek play the bulk of the games until Lalime can get his head on straight, and figure out what the problem is. I would put Lalime in for the final stretch of the season, and ride him, win or lose in the playoffs. I really can't us going into the post season with a goalie who hasn't played one minute of playoff hockey. As for a trade, you look whose out there, they're either equal talent or less. And those who are of equal talent, none have had the playoff success that Lalime has had.

Old
02-09-2004, 01:37 PM
EverythingSens

Anyone remember the playoff series against the flyers in '01???
Let me refresh your memories... something like a .979 save % and 0.38 GAA.

Case Closed.

Old
02-09-2004, 03:01 PM
SENATOR

That's when Flyers quit on their goalie and coach. Yes we remember. It was a walk in a park for Sens and then they were taken in 7 by St. John's Maple Leafs. It was the actual start for playoffs, I do not count Philly. And Patrick started to suck right on the first shot. I remember the first shot last year as well against Islanders. Wrap around, weak goal.

Old
02-09-2004, 03:16 PM
nessie

Send a message via AIM to nessie Send a message via MSN to nessie Send a message via Yahoo to nessie
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingSens
Anyone remember the playoff series against the flyers in '01???
Let me refresh your memories... something like a .979 save % and 0.38 GAA.

Case Closed.
But that was 3 years ago - what's happened since - usually goalies improve as the years come but he's unfortunately lost some of his edge or something. I do not think a trade should be made for him, no he has big potential, but I think there is something that is distracting him enough to not play with his full heart, he's almost kinda half-assing it IYAM - and he should play every game like it's a playoff game because why all of a sudden play really bad in reg. and then superb in playoff, you confuse people...I mean...other teams now know that Lalime gives up soft goals, so I've seena big increase of shots from 70-80ft out and they are close...but I agree, sit him for a few, let Prusek play - I mean, how much worse could he do? But it also wakes Lalime up and lets him see that maybe his job could be on the line if he doesn't start playing how this team knows he can

Old
02-09-2004, 03:59 PM
SENATOR

I do not see a goalie, who does not even follow fundamentals as to strap his pads tied, as having any potential. Lalime is a clone of Giguer, with pads size trimed down this year, baterfly style is out of the window. Now you goota have a little bit of skills to paly the game. Lalime just makes me laugh most of the nights. No lateral movements, he is always prone for a goal on two on one break outs. No good glove, weak short side. No hockey sense, no shooter recognition, always down on a shot as about to be decapitated. Any goalie would tell you, it is close to impossible to use glove when you are down. Try it yourself. Poor puck handling skills. How this guy plays in NHL, still avoids me.

Closed Thread